• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VITA Newb/N00b Q&A

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Does the Vita trophies appear on your PS3 if you sync them!

Epcott

1. What are the benefits of having a 3G Vita over the WiFi model?
  2. If games cannot be played online over the 3G model, are there plans to fix this?
  3. You mean to tell me the olny way games can be played online is through WiFi?
  4. Are there any plans which allow you to play PSN/SEN PS3 games through remote play?
  5. When you go to the store (via PS3) does it specifically say which software is playable on Vita, or is it trial and error or a list available?

My PS3 is borked at the moment so I can't check the store to answer some of these questions. My apologies if some questions have already been answered.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Instead tests show that the vita memory cards have the read speed of a measily 4mb/s!!! Why?

Sonys game carts have a higher but still low read speed of 6 mb/s. This is why Wipeout has such atrociously load times and this is why it's loadtimes are even longer for the digital version of the game rather than the cart.
4mb/s... as in 4 megabits, 512 kilobytes/s?? That can't possibly be true. Even if it's 4megabytes/s, I agree that's pretty slow considering there's potentially 384MB of memory to fill. Who measured that? I haven't really encountered any game with lengthy load times, but I didn't play Wipeout yet. It's really all very quick in Rayman, Lumines, Stardust, just about anything I tried.

Is there any way to browse the PSN content on PC? I want to check what is available on other regions (demos, etc) but I do not want to reset my Vita if there is nothing worth over there. P.S. I do not have a PS3.

4mb/s... as in 4 megabits, 512 kilobytes/s?? That can't possibly be true. Even if it's 4megabytes/s, I agree that's pretty slow considering there's potentially 384MB of memory to fill. Who measured that? I haven't really encountered any game with lengthy load times, but I didn't play Wipeout yet. It's really all very quick in Rayman, Lumines, Stardust, just about anything I tried.

If it is only 4 megabits/s, to fill the 384MB it would take 768 seconds, or almost 13 minutes. Cannot be really true.

Has anyone gotten Bluetooth audio to work through Windows 7?

It pairs fine and the music player Play/pause thing functions (when I click it on Win7 it stops playing music on the Vita) but I just can't get any of the Vita's audio to play through my laptop's speakers. :/

Anyone with a half decent camera. Could you take some close up pics of psp games on vita? I'm really curious about the 2d ones like Tactics Ogre.

2. If games cannot be played online over the 3G model, are there plans to fix this?
  4. Are there any plans which allow you to play PSN/SEN PS3 games through remote play?
  5. When you go to the store (via PS3) does it specifically say which software is playable on Vita, or is it trial and error or a list available?

My PS3 is borked at the moment so I can't check the store to answer some of these questions. My apologies if some questions have already been answered.
1. You get a GPS receiver and the possibility of a 3G connection.
2. No, a 3G connection has to long latency for being used for real-time multiplayer.
3. I suppose you could use Ad-Hoc Party through a wired PS3.
4. Certainly not all PSN games since streaming data requires processing power from the PS3. I also doubt most developers would go back and add that feature to their past games.
5. There is a specific Vita section on the PSN Store. A few additional PSP games can also be transferred through trial and error.

Number45

My question.

Does the Wifi model have GPS?
Nope, GPS hardware is 3G only.
1. Full GPS near functionality, browsing/twitter/FB etc. without needing anything to tether
2. It's not a bug. As has been mentioned, it's not ideal for synchronous gaming at all and I'm sure the 3G data providers would prefer it not to be allowed as well
3. You could in theory tether via smartphone, although wouldn't necessarily be worth it

Raonak

Banned

4- You already can; bun it's on a game by game basis. If the game has it enabled, then yes. otherwise no. some games that allow it: lair, pixeljunk monsters and eden iirc. It's a very small selection. I suspect sony will expand that more now that the vita is out (since you could already remote play with PSP)

5- theres a vita section on the PS store and the vita games are labeled as such.

While playing Wipeout the other day during one of the loading screens the game froze at 98 percent. So I restart it and get the blank screen with blue Playstation light. Read about the recovery menu and tried each option available with no luck. Anyone have any experience or ideas on how to fix this? Or did I just win the early adopter lotto and get to play the exchange game?

In case anyone was wondering this was resolved by letting the battery completely die and then restarting it. Now to see if it happens again.

Does anyone know how select one of the default backgrounds for the lock screen? I'm trying to change the color of the background, so when I have a transparent image the screen wont be blue under it. I got it to work fine on main screen by first switching to the color and then switching to the transparent screen.

I'm just having an issue doing this for the lock screen because, the only way I know how to switch the lock screen is by selecting a picture from my photos..

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Does anyone know how select one of the default backgrounds for the lock screen? I'm trying to change the color of the background, so when I have a transparent image the screen wont be blue under it. I got it to work fine on main screen by first switching to the color and then switching to the transparent screen.

I'm just having an issue doing this for the lock screen because, the only way I know how to switch the lock screen is by selecting a picture from my photos..

Dont think that's possible. I have tried this as well and there is no setting for the Lock screen background color. Blue seems to be the only choice..

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Not as far as I can tell. Tried everything I could think of but none of the Vita trophies show up in the trophy list or gamercard thing (in Friends list) on PS3.

So Sony made 2 seperate gaming profiles between PS3 and Vita? What the hell.

Lemming

Hey everyone!
I saw a jpg from a jpn manual indicating that the battery could be changed, probably for a higher capacity one further down the road.
Whats the status on that? Is it replaceable?

This may alreadt been asked (sorry) but about the Hori screen protector: in Japan there are two versions: gloss and matte. One is red and the other, blue. Which one is which? Also, the US version is gloss or matte? Thanks.

I'm probably the 80th person to ask this here, but is it possible to access secondary accounts without the PS3 store? Straight through the Vita?

Is it just a case of:

- Backing up my data to my PC (in case)
- Restarting console and signing in on 2nd account
- Accessing store and downloading whatever
- Doing the same thing again to go back to my main account

I've heard something about memory cards being locked to accounts, is this true?

Everyone seems to think you can't use content from two PSN accounts on Vita without having two memory cards. I decided to try it for myself.

I'm pleased to report that it's not true.

This morning I connected to both the US and Japanese PSN Stores and downloaded content from both. I did not switch memory cards (I only have one), or reformat the memory card.

I am logged on with my main US account and all the content from both regions is playable. :)

The way I did it is still a bit of a pain, but unlike the two cards method, you only need to do mine once, and at the end everything is on one card and playable under your main account. The only limitation I've found is that I get a message telling me that I will be unable to earn trophies on the Japanese content when I start playing it from my US account.

For those of you playing at home, here's what I did:

DISCLAIMER: You might want to backup your memory card first. You really don't need to, but if you do this wrong you could wipe your card which would suck.

Choose Settings > Format > Restore the PS Vita System
Select Restore.
You'll be asked if you want to deactivate the system from your account first.
Yes, you do want that.
Wait. Deactivation occurs.
Select Restore again.
This time you'll be asked if you want to format your memory card during the restore process.
No, you do NOT want to do that.
The restore process completes leaving your card contents intact.
Set your language & timezone.
Choose to sign in with your Japanese (or whatever other region) PSN account.
The unskippable Vita intro movie plays. Make a sandwich.
Download Japanese content from the Store (or from your PS3) onto the Vita.

When you're done, follow this process again, from the top, but choose to sign in with your main account. Remember to Activate your Vita for Games when you're signed back in.

That's it.
Are there benefits to having two cards though? This process makes my head spin, and I just got my second card from Amazon (via their $20 promotional credit). Wondering if I should just return it...

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Are original PSP game saves compatible with the PSP download titles on SEN? If I rebuy Wipeout Pure and Pulse digitally for my PSV, ideally I'd like to be able to transfer my save games from my PSP.

Corto

Everyone seems to think you can't use content from two PSN accounts on Vita without having two memory cards. I decided to try it for myself.

This morning I connected to both the US and Japanese PSN Stores and downloaded content from both. I did not switch memory cards (I only have one), or reformat the memory card.

I am logged on with my main US account and all the content from both regions is playable. :)

The way I did it is still a bit of a pain, but unlike the two cards method, you only need to do mine once, and at the end everything is on one card and playable under your main account. The only limitation I've found is that I get a message telling me that I will be unable to earn trophies on the Japanese content when I start playing it from my US account.

DISCLAIMER: You might want to backup your memory card first. You really don't need to, but if you do this wrong you could wipe your card which would suck.

Select Restore.
Yes, you do want that.
Select Restore again.
This time you'll be asked if you want to format your memory card during the restore process.

When you're done, follow this process again, from the top, but choose to sign in with your main account. Remember to Activate your Vita for Games when you're signed back in.

That's it.

I owe you a bottle of fine red wine or a beverage of your choosing. Thank you! You saved me a few euros.

ShdwDrake

Banned
If i buy a Vita game do I get the digital version too? If so ill go get one like now, if not ill wait till i can get a deal on the 32 GB card.

Quick question for those that have VITAs or have put some time into researching the upcoming features. Do you guys think a person could make the VITA their exclusive gaming console?

I'm asking because I'm at the point in my life where I'm about to get married and have kids and I'm already finding that it's becoming much more difficult to fire up the console. Seems like it would be nice to have something I could pick up and play that still has a bunch of the features of the big 2 consoles (PS3/360).

Eusis

Seeing friend notifications in PSP games reminds me, again, Sony REALLY needs to put in some damn options for notifications beyond whether a light blinks or not (which you'd probably miss anyway with it being on all the time now). It really shouldn't be necessary to go into Airplane mode just to avoid them.

androvsky

You have to do it from the photo app. It's one of the options when you view a picture. I have an Okami background as my lock screen currently. :)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
You have to do it from the photo app. It's one of the options when you view a picture. I have an Okami background as my lock screen currently. :)
He means that while you're peeling back the screen it's blue underneath. You can't currently change that.

Baconbitz

Banned
Nope, GPS hardware is 3G only.

1. Full GPS near functionality, browsing/twitter/FB etc. without needing anything to tether
Without 3G I can't use fb/twitter/near AT ALL?!

So, I'm thinking of getting a vita. Here are the questions that I need answered before I buy one.

1.Is a case of some kind needed? Is it very fragile like the first psp?
2. Do I need the biggest size memory card?
3. How much do games range from?

tenz0r

Select Restore.
Yes, you do want that.
Select Restore again.

That's it.

I did all this, but I did not deactivate my account. However everything seems fine afterwards. The demos play fine on my main account and I was still able to play my retail games and get trophies.

Should I be worried that I didn't deactivate the system when I did the restore to access the HK PSN store to get the Gravity Rush demo?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

So, I'm thinking of getting a vita. Here are the questions that I need answered before I buy one.

They work as long as you're online through WiFi.

1. I think so. It's not fragile but I wouldn't put it in a bag without a case because of the exposed screen. This is especially true for me since I don't like screen protectors.
2. Are you planning on buying a lot of DD games instead of retail games? That will answer your question.
3. There's a wide range. Retail games are $30-50 with them being 10% cheaper on PSN. PSN-only games are even cheaper.

You can use any online application, as long as you are under a wifi hotspot. Near is more precise using GPS that comes with the 3G model, but it still works with wifi only.

1. Yes, a case is a must. It feels more fragile than the psp, I guess mainly because it is almost just a screen. And it is light. I am loving the hardcase that came with the FEB.

2/3. Depends if you are planning to get games from PSP or use cards. Vita games range from 500 MB to 3GB (I think you can find the right ammount for each game on the oficial thread). PSN only games range from 70 MB (PvZs) to 800 MB. Besides, you still need space for game instalation (every game installs a little in the memory card), patchs (which can be huge, like 400MB), demos, etc. I fill out the 4GB card that came with the FEB in my very fist day with Vita. If you do not plan to download full games from PSN, 8 GB card may be enough. If you want to download full games, consider a 32 GB.

Of course, everything can be backup on PS3 or PC, so you can switch games if you went the smaller card route, but that is a little bit of pain for a portable.

Baconbitz

Banned
You can use any online application, as long as you are under a wifi hotspot. Near is more precise using GPS that comes with the 3G model, but it still works with wifi only.

1. Yes, a case is a must. It feels more fragile than the psp, I guess mainly because it is almost just a screen. And it is light. I am loving the hardcase that came with the FEB.

2/3. Depends if you are planning to get games from PSP or use cards. Vita games range from 500 MB to 3GB (I think you can find the right ammount for each game on the oficial thread). PSN only games range from 70 MB (PvZs) to 800 MB. Besides, you still need space for game instalation (every game installs a little in the memory card), patchs (which can be huge, like 400MB), demos, etc. I fill out the 4GB card that came with the FEB in my very fist day with Vita. If you do not plan to download full games from PSN, 8 GB card may be enough. If you want to download full games, consider a 32 GB.

Of course, everything can be backup on PS3 or PC, so you can switch games if you went the smaller card route, but that is a little bit of pain for a portable.

By range I meant price? Are they 50?

Edit: can I buy that case separately?

xxczx

Are original PSP game saves compatible with the PSP download titles on SEN? If I rebuy Wipeout Pure and Pulse digitally for my PSV, ideally I'd like to be able to transfer my save games from my PSP.
Yes.
phantasy star portable

on vita? is it compatible? thanks <3
Phantasy Star Portable 2 is the only Phantasy Star on PSN... and only for Europe (but it works though).

By range I meant price? Are they 50?

Edit: can I buy that case separately?

Full games usually 10% over retail. At moment, on US PSN, there are games from US$ 24.99 (Katamari) to US$ 44.99 (Uncharted), but most sit around US$ 39.99. PSN only games are smaller, and usually around US$ 15 (but there are some at US$ 8 and US$ 10).

Not the FEB case, as far as I know. But there is another in the Starter Kit, plus a plenty of 3rd party ones. I liked the hard ones better.

if i want to switch between a JP and NA account on the Vita, is it more convenient to own TWO memory cards so that Im just swapping out memory cards and restoring the Vita.....rather than with just one memory card, but I have to copy/backup the data and then reformat to switch over to the JP account?

and is it true that the Vita battery is nonremovable? how can you prolong the battery life when its constantly being plugged into the wall? (on the psp i just remove the battery but i leave the psp plugged into wall socket so I can extend battery life)

and is it true that the Vita battery is nonremovable? how can you prolong the battery life when its constantly being plugged into the wall? (on the psp i just remove the battery but i leave the psp plugged into wall socket so I can extend battery life)

Yes, it is nonremovable.

And never, never, use any electronics with Li-on batteries always plugged on into the wall. That will kill the battery life. Li-on batteries are mean to operative with charges from 5% to 95%. In a low charge state or a complete full charge state the chimical reactions that power the battery start to show some leakage currents (I do not know how to explain it better in English, but trust me I know this stuff) and usually you loose at least 5% of the capacity of the battery per year (could be as much as 30% deppending on other conditions). Some electronics have circuits to cut the battery power circuit if the battery is almost full (never reaching 100%) but I do not think that is the case of vita.

Yes, it is nonremovable.

And never, never, use any electronics with Li-on batteries always plugged on into the wall. That will kill the battery life.

i get what you are saying but i mean since the battery is nonremovable, at any given time you are either -draining the battery or -charging the battery

theres no way you can remove the battery to spare its lifespan and play with the Vita just plugged into the wall...

Top Bottom