• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vessel |OT| The Future Has Arrived

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You actually loved the shit out of Sesame Street Once Upon a Monster? I mean goddamn.

In these modern times, it must be difficult to read that the person who made the OT for your indie game spent more time poorly trolling another developer than actually playing your indie game.

Well I'm just glad people are playing the game out there and enjoying it, I'm annoyed I've got to wait until tomorrow to play it after hyping it but what I did play I really enjoyed.
I will leave it at that, I said what I felt.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
And I've arrived at the orchard after completely finishing the factory. Up until now the game doesn't get stale or anything as they've managed to make most of the puzzles feel fresh and they keep introducing new elements. It hasn't been really difficult yet though, but I'm not breezing through the puzzles either, so the game is still compelling. I also feel the game has quite a bit of content. It took me about as much time to get through the workshop and the factory as it took me to get through Braid, and the levels are stuffed with puzzles, none of which have felt like filler.

I also like how the main puzzles can be skipped (which is indeed quite similar to Braid in a way, as mentioned before) and immediately accessed again through the main menu instead of having to backtrack all the time.

So yeah, I can only add my voice to wuwtwutwut's and say: buy this game.

wutwutwut

I finished the game. The final puzzle's genius. Took me a while to figure out how to put all the pieces together, but oh man, once I did...

The best puzzle in the game was one of the protoplasm-collecting ones in the mines. I'm not going to spoil it for anyone here -- you'll know what I'm talking about when you solve it for yourself.

9.5 hours on the clock, with half an hour spent alt-tabbed, so 9. Sounds about right. What a great $15 purchase -- will probably end up on my GOTY list somewhere.

I'd suggest that people wait until Monday's patch before playing though.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I will leave it at that, I said what I felt.

Good, because it is practically indefensible.

Anyway, I enjoyed the demo. Looking forward to picking it up later down the line when I have a few less games to play.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Why on earth would I buy something at full price (lol -10%) when I have a backlog? That's just silly talk.
Well, sometimes the backlog is full of games you don't feel like playing and you want to buy something you do. I think a lot of adult PC gamers have come to the point where time is the constraint and not money.

I'll wrap up Toki Tori and pick this one up. I don't own any other unbeaten puzzle platformers that are on Vessel's level.

Played 71 mins of this now, really is a nice little game also have been enjoying the music which has made me go looking for some Jon Hopkins stuff.
The water based physic puzzles are nicely put together so far, just got to an area where I now think my brain will be put to the test, so far it's played like a water mechanics tutorial, getting you used to how it all works and how it can all be manipulated.
Lovely stuff.

epmode

This game is kind of brilliant, GAF. My only real complaint is that the character control is kind of janky. Everything else is wonderful: Puzzle difficulty is well-balanced, the liquid simulation is fun and it really livens up the visuals (screenshots don't do the game any favors), the music is goddamned incredible (and it does that rad dynamic mixing thing). It just feels like one of those labor of love games.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
It's too silent in here for a game of this quality. :(

Anyway, I'm playing through the mines right now and just discovered that I should have prioritised the nozzle that looks like a pointing finger. I wouldrecommend other players to choose it early in the game, as it makes creating Fluros a lot easier.

Inskipp

Well I finished the game....

It was pretty good. It took me about 13 hours to beat, if you want to factor that in. I don't usually play these types of games, but the demo intrigued me and the price was low enough for me to risk it. And to me, it was worth it.

The puzzles are good. I'm not an expert, but it felt like the game paced itself well as it introduced more new elements to the puzzles. I didn't really feel overwhelmed during the majority of the game. Only the last set of puzzles (
the big ass lava walker and activating the machine in the end
) was where it took me a while to figure them out, but I guess that's how it's supposed to be.

Spoilers:

I was also kinda surprised by how the plot developed during the course of the game. I was expecting more of an I-robot type of plot, with the fluros rebelling and whatnot, but witnessing how the fluros started to evolve and how it affected the protagonist was pretty intriguing.

So yeah, if you liked the demo, then I recommend on buying it. I also recommend doing it via the devs site atm, due to it being cheaper there than on Steam (at least for EU), and you can get it as a steam key from their site anyway.

Goody

Tried out the demo today and really liked what I've played.

I saw a lot of the word "Metroidvania" thrown about before the game came out. I didn't get that impression from what I've played of the demo.

Is that something that eventually comes about or just a case of a buzz word being thrown out there without any real consideration?

Either way, definitely picking this up.

Liking this a lot so far. Got up to some lava bits for the first time and was confused on how I need to get over the conveyor belt of lava and stopped there for the day.

I can already see it ending up as one of my favourites of the year though!

Updated today.
Patch notes
Patch Notes version 1.12

Hardware Detection:
-Failure to meet GPU requirements will result in a detailed error message at startup.

Player Movement:
-The player is no longer prevented from jumping if he is doing his land animation. Makes jumping more fluid
-Made the minimum jump smaller and the maximum jump longer.
-Made the player fall faster if he releases the jump button early.
-Ladder climb is now slightly faster
-Removed a small visual glitch when exiting a ladder
-Replaced all small cranks with smaller ones that are turned by hand, adding a new hand-turn dynamic animation.

Difficulty adjustment
-Added checkpoints in Factory lava sections
-Added lights to warn when mashers were about to strike to give the player more of a hint.
-Added checkpoints around tricky jumps in Mines
-After dying, the player will keep the liquid in their backpack, unless they had more at the last checkpoint.
-Small groups of purple reactant will no longer be able to kill you (it will still damage you).
-Made the drinker explosion more powerful, prevents problems in some puzzles.
-Added a 'gamepad recommended' icon to the title screen.

Bugs
-Players who made it to the end level in an earlier build would lose the ability to suction glow goo when they updated to current build. Fixed.
-Made some geometry thicker in the orchard where the player could fall through it
-Machine #9 in Factory was not accepting steam sometimes, fixed.
-Lever on upgrade machine would stick sometimes, fixed.
-Tweaked some buttons that Operators could slip off of.
-Clicking to close a GUI menu will no longer fire the gun.
-Releasing the fire button while the mouse cursor is outside the window will now stop the gun from firing.
-Swing animation only happens when pressing left or right now.
-Game can now be paused during the opening sequence, allowing the player to exit and change options then.
-Ladder sound would miss a footstep when descending, fixed.
-Adjusted some jump pads to work with new jump changes
-Made some puzzle doors permanently open, in case you die before you start the machine they expose.

r@v3n

Bumping a month old thread but it is worth it....

Got Vessel during steam sales and it is an awesome game. More people should try this out.

1) Puzzles are brilliant and forces one to think a bit.
2) Environments are mysterious and a good sight for your eyes.
3) Never allow you to drown in boredom.

Vlad

Had my eye on this for a while, and snagged it during the recent Humble Bundle, and I've got to say, I'm slightly disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, it's a gorgeous game, and I really like what it's trying to do, but the lack of polish ended up really hurting the game for me at times. The general wonky feel of the main character and inconsistent behavior of the fluros at times really ended up being extremely frustrating.

The game also has the unpleasant distinction of being the first time I caved in and actually looked at the ending on Youtube instead of just beating it. I got all the way to the final puzzle and
spent hours on it trying to get it to work right. I suss out that I need to get the red/blue fluros in the top chambers and get the green vapor coming up from the bottom eventually, but then it came to executing it...

First attempt, I use a drinker fluro to run over and cause the vapor. It seems to work, but I don't crank the wheel in time, and the vapor evaporates before I've even got the machine going.

Second attempt, I start cranking sooner, and run into the machine. The red and blue goo floods in, and I think I've won, since I've got the thing spinning with both goos and the glow steam, then the red and blue mix and explode, and I'm killed.

Frustrated that I still didn't have the solution, I hang my head in shame and check Youtube for the answer. I never do this, but the game has been so janky up to this point that I'm not sure if I'm just way off base or if the game is messing up. The first video I look at has the guy using seeds to redirect the glow goo from above instead of using a drinker. I try this, and it immediately kills my two dark fluros before I can get the machine started (I also see in the video that I apparently need to jump and float (!?) once the machine starts spinning).

Checking another video, I see that the guy uses the same approach I did with the drinker fluro. I go back to that, hoping that me being in the center of the accelerator where I'm supposed to be will make things work..

So I head back in, get everything set up again start the machine, jump in, watch all three elements sucessfully swirl around, then nothing. The red and blue mix and explode normally amidst a haze of green steam, and I'm still floating in the center of the accelerator, completely unaltered.

At that point I just watched the ending on Youtube.

The sad thing was that I was really enjoying the first 2/3 or so of the game. It had some clever puzzles, and the fluid mechanics, while not perfect, worked well enough and even when things failed miserably (a fluro spontaneously dying when running by a switch, for example), it wasn't enough of a setback to be really annoying.

wouwie

So this is finally coming to playstation next week. I hadn't heard of this game until last week but it seems my kind of game. I like physics based puzzle platform games. The pc version had a decent metacritic score.

Don't know if there will be a demo but i'm looking forward to playing this game.

Sorry for the necrobump, but this game is free on PS+ right now and I can't get over how damn bad it is. How did this piece of steaming poop make it on PSN, let alone on PS+?

Top Bottom