• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

So I can just install Dawn of War Gold since it supposedly comes with winter assault?
Winter Assault is an expansion pack for Dawn of War, but since I have the retail version, I don't know if the Steam version shows Winter Assault as DLC that's automatically downloaded when you install DoW, or not. Either way, it's requires DoW, unlike Dark Crusade and Soulstorm.

Might be a silly/old question, but...

I recently found an unopened copy of Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway for $1 at a flea market. I didn't really have much interest in it, but for a buck, I thought why not. Is there anyway to use the physical copy to redeem one on Steam?

Edit: Nevermind. BiA:HH doesn't appear to have this capability.

Achievement system is still pretty crap. Also Steam doesn't have Uncharted yet.

Yeah, they need to have like a little display showcase in your profile or something which shows your most recent achievements, or even a customizable area where you can display the achievements you're most proud of or something. While we're on it, the entire user profiles needs a bit of an overhaul.

Just as long as they never add points. Fuck points.

I move to revoke Derrick01's tag!

To what? Mr. Super Accurate?

How are those first 8 hours of KotOR 1 treating you?

Tess3ract

Banned
KOTOR2 is on steam finally?

WHAT

WHAT??

Time_94d7c2_824482.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I know people are going to rag on it but I've read some positive things despite it's shortcomings. $10 seems like a good price for a Gears of War ripoff with Gravity Manipulation.

Yeah no doubt. I watched some of a GB quick look or something and it definitely looked 10$'s interesting. I saw some nice screens of it somewhere too.

Blizzard

Banned
I was thinking eversion and wondering, "Wasn't that already on Steam"...but yeah, Inversion is the Inception gravity game. Post a review when you've played it!

1-D_FTW

Just went and reread the 3D Vision blog about this game. Would have never touched it, but since it seems to have been built with 3D support in mind, I'm game for a shallow visual treat.

VALIS

Oh hey, the news tab is back where it belongs.

What are we going to complain about now?

I recently read the developers of the highly rated and on-every-other-platform-on-earth Pinball Arcade have tried to get on Steam and were rejected multiple times. You know, they gotta keep the schedule clear for yet more of those atrocious anime-styled games and broaden that user base to the pillow hugging crowd. This is what I fear the Steam Community Greenlight is going to achieve, making Steam look like the fucking NeoGeo Pocket or something.

Sorry for the insults. Just a little bitter about this.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I recently read the developers of the highly rated and on-every-other-platform-on-earth Pinball Arcade have tried to get on Steam and were rejected multiple times. You know, they gotta keep the schedule clear for yet more of those atrocious anime-styled games and broaden that user base to the pillow hugging crowd. This is what I fear the Steam Community Greenlight is going to achieve, making Steam look like the fucking NeoGeo Pocket or something.

iAlV5i1f30eKM.gif

catabarez

wut

Glass Rebel

The Ys games are better than some rip-off of that game I had on Win2000. /snark

Glass Rebel

Valis has a tremendous point that I didn't think of. So now simulations are not going to get on Steam because the genre is not popular? If this is what Greenlight means then screw the concept.

*throws hands in the air*

you can shut Steam down, Gaben

VALIS

Would it be better if I said iPhone ports? Steam is rolling in them these days, too.

Anyway, just ranting. Someone wanted a complaint, so there you go. Their selection process has left me confused on a number of different occasions lately.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map

Just a little bitter, eh

Derrick01

Banned

The selection process should be stricter if anything. I'm pretty sure the games you're referring to only got accepted because they came from a known publisher. Not necessarily a "big" one, but much bigger than some indie studio. But that being said way too many shitty indie games get through the process.

VALIS

The selection process should be stricter if anything.

Yeah, I'd prefer it to be one or the other, either really strict or "as long as it works properly, sell it here." Some of the stuff that's come through in the last 6 months has been pretty bad, then we hear stories of well-liked/reviewed games failing to make the cut because Valve doesn't think they fit what Steam is about, and it's a head scratcher. Like, what about Mutant Mudds or Pinball Arcade doesn't fit yet AVSEQ or A Virus Named Tom or the eXceed games (to use some very recent examples) do fit? No idea.

1-D_FTW

Would it be better if I said iPhone ports? Steam is rolling in them these days, too.

Anyway, just ranting. Someone wanted a complaint, so there you go. Their selection process has left me confused on a number of different occasions lately.

Isn't that kind of what the Pinball game is? Fundamentally it's a mobile game that just got ported to every other platform under the sun. So I'm not sure how that would make the rant better. You're basically advocating for Steam to do exactly what you don't want them to do.

Considering that Farsight has bungled every release of Pinball Arcade so far in some way, I can't say I'm surprised by this revelation. Pity that Pinball FX2 is Windows 8 Store exclusive.

VALIS

Isn't that kind of what the Pinball game is? Fundamentally it's a mobile game that just got ported to every other platform under the sun. So I'm not sure how that would make the rant better. You're basically advocating for Steam to do exactly what you don't want them to do.

Nah, it was built for all of those platforms at the same time. Whereas games like Hero Academy and Galaxy on Fire and iBomber have been on iPhone for months or years.

But I'm fine with that, actually. And I own most of those iPhone ports on Steam. And a few of the anime styled games I just snarked at. But I said in a previous post, I'd rather they were either more strict or allowed every game that worked properly. I mean, come on, you can't tell me Pinball Arcade doesn't fit their marketplace but this does:

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
How bout you calm the fuck down?

They've already said they recognize the problem, and have set their solution in motion, so there's no sense getting pissed off about it.

They're fixing it.

VALIS

How bout you calm the fuck down?

*flexes pecs* No, you.

They've already said they recognize the problem, and have set their solution in motion, so there's no sense getting pissed off about it.

They're fixing it.

And I hope it works. It will be a very interesting experiment, that's for sure. Can't wait to see how it plays out. And if popular taste/votes approve a billion Magical Diaries and no Pinball Arcades, then hey, that's the way it goes. The people have spoke. Doesn't mean I won't be disappointed, though.

Game Guru

Are we sure that Pinball Arcade wasn't rejected because there appears to be a complete lack of a Windows version of the game? I mean, I'm looking on their website and they have no Windows version yet. It's a Mac game sure, but maybe there is some rule about how every Mac game requires there to be a Windows version or something like that.

VALIS

Are we sure that Pinball Arcade wasn't rejected because there appears to be a complete lack of a Windows version of the game? I mean, I'm looking on their website and they have no Windows version yet. It's a Mac game sure, but maybe there is some rule about how every Mac game requires there to be a Windows version or something like that.

They reportedly also rejected Pinball FX2, and the reason Pinball Arcade was likely to be rejected according to GAF'er/journalist Matt Keil was "Steam users don't want to play pinball." So I think it's something against the genre in general. If Matt sees this conversation, maybe he could fill us in if he knows anything more than that.

Game Guru

They reportedly also rejected Pinball FX2, and the reason Pinball Arcade was likely to be rejected according to GAF'er/journalist Matt Keil was "Steam users don't want to play pinball." So I think it's something against the genre in general. If Matt sees this conversation, maybe he could fill us in if he knows anything more than that.

Half of Valve's problem with rejecting games is never giving any reasons for why a game is rejected. How would the developers know Valve just hates pinball?

Steam is odd, in that it makes declarations that people don't play X genre, lets a game on the service, gets proven they were talking bollocks and the floodgates open. They did it with shumps (Jamestown broke that barrier), they did it with visual novels (Analogue) and now they're doing it with pinball games. Be patent. I wouldn't be too surprised if Farsight or Microsoft bungled something, but Valve can be a bit of blockade to new games (hence Greenlight).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom