• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, um, demos on the WiiU. Or, this shop is kinda f*cked...

So, PS3 store updates on tuesday in NA and 360 updates on wednesday. Does the eshop just update whenever? Why isn't it bettter organized, too. I know Nintendo is somewhat new to the online store concept...oh wait, this is their third (fourth?) crack at with, with the Wii and the DS/3DS having come before it.

So, i try to find the fifa demo (which i believe is the only demo available right now). I click on the Fifa banner, you know, the one with the highlighted note in the upper left hand corner that says DEMO...It takes me to the full game link to buy the game.

Um, what?

To find the demo takes a multistep process that's kinda unbelievable given that i just clicked on a banner for the demo itself. How does this make any sort of sense?

Just be organized, dammit. Let me know when stuff is hitting the store and dont make me have to solve a rubik's cube to get to it. Also, why do you have 3ds stuff pop up in the WiiU store when searching? makes no sense, man.

JaseMath

The whole eShop is a UX disaster regardless of platform. I've had a 3DS for months and still have no idea how to find titles like VVVVV or similar without manually searching. The Wii U experience will probably be no different.

Resilient

If you click on that Fifa page to download, it will download the demo and not charge your CC. I agree that it's very archaic and unorganised with little info to help the user. And the random updates are worse. They definitely need to have a method to the store, streamline it and be much more transparent. Surprise additions are just frustrating.

AzaK

Weird I didn't have any problem getting the demo. I think I just clicked "Demos" and then downloaded FIFA.

Also, I find the eShop way better than the 360 or PS3 ones so far. Not sure how it will scale as more titles get on there but it's fine at the moment as you can see pretty much everything that's available on the main page.

epmode

Nintendo having awful storefronts and digital distribution policies in general has been a given from day one. Maybe next console!

Xater

I think I just clicked on a button that said demos and there it was. Nothing complicated about it. In fact it involved less steps then finding the newest PS3 demos in the new store.

The whole eShop is a UX disaster regardless of platform. I've had a 3DS for months and still have no idea how to find titles like VVVVV or similar without manually searching. The Wii U experience will probably be no different.

Yeah. I hate how hard it is to find info on new games for 3DS. I cant even find any decent website, but GAF has been most helpful. Im just waiting for Wario Land 2

If you click on "More Details" on that "full game link to buy the game" page, it'll take you to a page with a "Download Demo" button.

Eusis

It IS kind of surreal how the Wii Shop Channel was probably the best for organization and finding stuff. Then they fucked it all up with the eShops that do more arbitrary categorization and make it a pain to find stuff appropriately.

Ah well, at least the Wii U eShop is a step above the 3DS one.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Nintendo having awful storefronts and digital distribution policies in general has been a given from day one. Maybe next console!
Nintendo: still clueless about online.
Good luck next gen Nintendo. Maybe you get it Together and get me to buy your systems.

King_Moc

Banned
Yeah, i think you have to click the option to buy the game, then you 'buy' the demo.

And it updates on Thursdays.

If it's an older game, how were you proposing on finding it? They can't keep every game on the front page forever.

The main shop page for the Wii U is actually very well laid out.

nubbe

Matt: Dose Nintendo know about the Internet?

Perrin:
iZ68f.jpg

I'm liking how they've handled it so far. My main complaint is that they need to flip the search and clear buttons when doing a search. Since the clear button is right next to the field where you type I almost always end up hitting clear when I mean to hit search out of habit.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah, i think you have to click the option to buy the game, then you 'buy' the demo.

If it's an older game, how were you proposing on finding it? They can't keep every game on the front page forever.

Clearly defined categories like 'Games', 'Trailers', etc, with alphanumeric sorting for starters.
Not "Know When to Hold Them", and Pedal to the Metal" with their own recommended games.

At least there's a Demos category if I keep scrolling, but of course it's only in order of release, and you can't sort A-Z. That'll be a problem as the store gets bigger and new users jump in.

There's a Virtual Console section, sweet, and a Sort By button, awesome.
Except the options are dumb as you can only sort by Latest (which is good for current users), Popularity, and User Rating...
How about system, or A-Z?

JaseMath

If I didn't post on GAF, I'd have no idea some of these games existed. How are people supposed to find it then?

Search function is your friend. eShop doesn't have direct links to "category" sections per se but you can easily get to stuff from there. Demos and additional media are in the "more info" section.

I actually like browsing eShop better than the PS3 store, especially after the switch its new layout. Probably has a lot to do with Wii U having a touch screen soft keyboard option.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Where is the demo tab located? I got the demo but not by clicking on a 'demo' tab.
Bottom of the front page has a bunch of categories, demos being one of them. Another way to get to a demo of a game is via game's 'View Details' button. Last but not least, there's a 'Demos' category in the Spotlight section.

360 on a Wednesday? :/ 360 updates when content is available, its just pubs usually delay it to when the PSN stuff is available... doesn't it? :/

MS do XBLA Wednesday but they've always done XBLA on a Wednesday and sometimes Friday.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Seems pretty logical to navigate for me.

Click Fifa banner.
Click View details.
Click Download Demo.

jaypah

Bottom of the front page has a bunch of categories, demos being one of them. Another way to get to a demo of a game is via game's 'View Details' button. Last but not least, there's a 'Demos' category in the Spotlight section.

Here in Germany it's right there on the front page:

And if I scroll down it actually appears again with a bunch of other categories:

wtf? I have no idea how I missed that. Thanks folks!

edit: I'm at work but I'm not sure the US store is like that. The bottom of it has a "show all" and some ads for unreleased games. Puddle was down there last I checked.

EulaCapra

I still don't understand why Nintendo doesn't just make it easier for everybody to add a demo search criteria along with software and videos. There's enough 3DS demos now to warrant that and not just some random shelf you have to keep scrolling to find.

Edit: just saw Germany'a eShop page. WTF They better do that for all regions.

Erethian

Nintendo lets publishers/developers have full control over their eShop pricing, release date, when and if they do sales, and they also don't charge for patches/updates.

So in some areas their digital download policies are better than Microsoft or Sony.

Edit: Also yeah, the eShop for Australia also has that big-ass demo button along with links to various other categories like sub-$30 games. Found it very easy to navigate, personally.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I dunno, maybe I expect more from GAF. Not that I am defending poor UX decisions, but there are so many threads about how people just cannot figure out how to navigate various shops or interfaces or god knows what. Have you people been using the internet for a week? It is not THAT complicated, sheesh! It's just a stupid web store, use it to get what you want, then forget it exists! Why are you still thinking about it!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I still don't understand why Nintendo doesn't just make it easier for everybody to add a demo search criteria along with software and videos. There's enough 3DS demos now to warrant that and not just some random shelf you have to keep scrolling to find.

Edit: just saw Germany'a eShop page. WTF They better do that for all regions.
It appears that eShop demos are treated not as stand-alone store entries but as attributes to SKUs. If you go to the demos category on the shop you'll see games that have demos, but not the demos themselves. I.e. you have to click 'View Details' on those games to go to the actual demos.

AzaK

Are the ones having it easy like myself not in the US and the OP is a US citizen?

What does the US shop look like?

Pociask

Exactly, really simple

I dont know what the OP is smoking but i'd like some

To be fair, online store fronts have very clear associations with the word "Details." Like if you're buying a tv, that's where it says the inputs, outputs, and screen refresh rate, or if you're buying a kitchen mixer, what attachments come with it.

A demo isn't a "detail" of a product, it's a way to try the product out before you buy it. You think you'd want to feature a demo prominently, and not bury it in a boring sounding details button.

pestul

I don't think we had those options at the bottom of the main page in Canada either.. but yeah, I still had no trouble getting it.

olimpia84

The US eShop is really easy to use and navigate (although there isn't really much content anyways). IMO the layout is a million times better than the 3DS eShop

jaypah

probably the same... but they are out of ammo, so they bailed out.

no, I edited my post. Ammo? Not even sure wtf that even means.

anyway, my store doesn't have the orange demo button. Or if it does it just got there recently. I found the demo easily enough because there's a "download" type icon next to a game (FIFA was the only one). I was simply asking how others were getting to a demo section because I looked and didn't see one.

BD1

Banned
It's really not that hard to find and download the demo.

eShop needs some damn consistency though. The "shelf" concept on the 3DS is perfectly fine, but they change the categories on a whim. The lower level shelves need to stay with consistent categories - demo/videos/VC/etc.

The German store is pretty much what it should be in all regions.

Top Bottom