• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, um, demos on the WiiU. Or, this shop is kinda f*cked...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
no, I edited my post. Ammo? Not even sure wtf that even means.

anyway, my store doesn't have the orange demo button. Or if it does it just got there recently. I found the demo easily enough because there's a "download" type icon next to a game (FIFA was the only one). I was simply asking how others were getting to a demo section because I looked and didn't see one.

It means that he thinks you and many others are just Wii U bashers looking for something to complain about, and you've run out of "ammo" aka, "posts" because other users feel the opposite.

To be fair, online store fronts have very clear associations with the word "Details." Like if you're buying a tv, that's where it says the inputs, outputs, and screen refresh rate, or if you're buying a kitchen mixer, what attachments come with it.

A demo isn't a "detail" of a product, it's a way to try the product out before you buy it. You think you'd want to feature a demo prominently, and not bury it in a boring sounding details button.

Seriously when the only options are details and purchase its not that big a leap of logic to click details

jaypah

It means that he thinks you and many others are just Wii U bashers looking for something to complain about, and you've run out of "ammo" aka, "posts" because other users feel the opposite.

that's absurd. I don't have a problem with my WiiU at all. Just finished 5staring NSMBU with my fiancé, awesome game.

I never had an issue finding it...what worries me is sitting around forever while my demo downloads...I have seen half dead turtles move quicker!

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
It must be incredible to watch anyone having trouble finding the FIFA demo to go grocery shopping at a supermarket.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Why was this thread made?

It took me like 5 seconds to get to the demo... I just did it now.

rpmurphy

On the 3DS eShop, the link to download the demo is on the same level as the link to "details", whereas on the Wii U eShop, to get to where you can download the demo, you have to click through the "details" link. I got confused too at first because of that difference. But all of that is on the server end so they can roll out changes to the UI without updating the eShop app.

NateDrake

Wii U eShop is easy to navigate.

I couldn't find demos on the 360 once the 'Metro' update happened. Took me a bit to find the tab in all that clutter and advertisement.

Glass Joe

I've visited the Wii U e-shop (US) a lot and it's so far much better than the 3DS. They're consistently changing what's featured to keep it fresh, maybe even daily when there's no actual content update. It's much more efficient at showing lots of content than the 3DS is too. As for not having a demo window to visit... Well shit, maybe when there's more than ONE demo they'll do just that.

The poster complaining about FIFA's being buried probably downloaded it before Nintendo announced it was available. I know I got mine a day early last Wednesday night because of that reason. Then Thursday morning when it came out, bam, big ass FIFA banner in the eshop stating "demo available." There's even an icon (like there is for videos) when scrolling through games to show if a demo is available. Really not that hard.

My only e-shop complaint so far (other than speed of download) is that the charts at the very top of the page still don't work due to "not enough data." At this point I think it's an oversight since they even have a "top 20" window you can click on.

RobbieNick

Nintendo having awful storefronts and digital distribution policies in general has been a given from day one. Maybe next console!

Spoken like someone who doesn't own the console. The E-Shop so far, has been a much, much simpler process to find games on than 360. Plus, all day 1 digital downloads are available right at midnight Tuesday (USA). It'll take a bigger amount of games before we see how well their organizing really is though.

The whole eShop is a UX disaster regardless of platform. I've had a 3DS for months and still have no idea how to find titles like VVVVV or similar without manually searching. The Wii U experience will probably be no different.

The Wii U eShop is far better than the 3DS one...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
WiiU's eShop is far from being perfect but you gotta admit it's way better than the 3DS's.
Funnily enough, I find them equally easy to navigate, to the point I could not care less if any of them were made any easier.

BTW, I'm seriously considering starting an elite gaf club for people who never had troubles navigating the nintendo DD stores. Did you find your way easily on the WiiWare, DSiWare, 3ds and U eShops? Well, congrats, mate, you're now part of a elite gaf club!

Phazon

Same as the 3DS eShop, categorization and other storefront stuff is managed differently by region, by separate teams.

Oh wow, that sucks :(

I really love all those categories and imo it's much easier to find stuff on it than on XBLA etc.

Pociask

Seriously when the only options are details and purchase its not that big a leap of logic to click details

No argument there. I'm generally a fan of clear, easily understandable language. I think in an ideal world you'd have three buttons, arranged left to right - Try it! Buy it! Tell me more!

Of course, in an ideal world every game has a demo.

Parallacs

I don't have a PS3, but I do have a PSP so I have some idea what the PSN store is like.

To see what sales there are, I have to click on New Releases, then PSP Games, then Discounts. I don't know why it is burried three levels deep if there is a tab on the left.

No store is perfect.

Fularu

Banned
I had no problems finding everything I needed on the US store (eShop).

Can't say the same anymore about XBLA (the new layout is dreadfull and has made me stop buying XBLA games) or PSN (the new store.. the horror...)

Granted, the eShop is still prety new, so finding stuff is still easy, but navigation wasn't a problem *at all*

majik13

I dont remember having any trouble finding it. I find PSN and 360 more difficult as they are usually buried in some menus. Having a touchscreen interface, makes it much more accessible and also quicker to type in a custom search as well.

While there is always room for improvement, I find the eShop far easier to use than PS3's store.

However, Nintendo needs to add better filtering and a alphanumeric / sorting choices. Right now if you play around with it, there are errors and things not working as it really should.

However, the demo was very easy to find. Open FIFA.... more details... download demo. Pretty straight forward, but I do think that any page that has a purchase button, should have a demo button as well. And the initial screen for the game has a purchase button.

One part I give to PS3 though, is the steps to start the download are less. For a demo it should be a one or two click operation. Click download, click confirm. Then short popup that says its downloading in background and where to see progress. If I remember correctly it had a few extra steps that seemed pointless when I downloaded the FIFA demo.

rpmurphy

Funnily enough, I find them equally easy to navigate, to the point I could not care less if any of them were made any easier.

BTW, I'm seriously considering starting an elite gaf club for people who never had troubles navigating the nintendo DD stores. Did you find your way easily on the WiiWare, DSiWare, 3ds and U eShops? Well, congrats, mate, you're now part of a elite gaf club!
Yeah, the old shops were seriously a pain to navigate. The 3DS eShop is miles better than the Wii/DSi ones, but even that one is far from perfect.

As far as some of the important things:
- Search features. The filters they have work nicely, but it would be good to be able to sort the results. Auto-complete would be nice as well.
- Being able to display paginated results in one stream. Having to click back and forth is not that great. The Wii Shop wasn't too bad and you could use buttons, but the DSi Shop was awful since it showed only 4 results at a time.
- Background downloading.
- Not being taken back to the very start after you download something.

When it comes to those points, from my brief usage of the Wii U eShop, I think it has made some significant improvements, but I haven't spent much time with it since there's not much to see yet.

vercity82

Don't know if anybody quoted it as couldn't see it wii u demos have a certain play lock out FIFA you can play only 10 times !!!!

Yeah, the old shops were seriously a pain to navigate. The 3DS eShop is miles better than the Wii/DSi ones, but even that one is far from perfect.

As far as some of the important things they could do:
- Search features. The filters they have work nicely, but it would be good to be able to sort the results. Auto-complete would be nice as well.
- Being able to display paginated results in one stream. Having to click back and forth is not that great. The Wii Shop wasn't too bad and you could use buttons, but the DSi Shop was awful since it showed only 4 results at a time.
- Not being taken back to the very start after you download something.

When it comes to those points, from my brief usage of the Wii U eShop, I think it has made some significant improvements, but I haven't spent much time with it since there's not much to see yet.

There is background downloading

The Boat

Both Wii U and 3DS have background downloading. Well on 3DS, it's not really background but you can just set up a queue and they download when it's in sleep mode.

PhantomR

Banned
So, PS3 store updates on tuesday in NA and 360 updates on wednesday. Does the eshop just update whenever? Why isn't it bettter organized, too. I know Nintendo is somewhat new to the online store concept...oh wait, this is their third (fourth?) crack at with, with the Wii and the DS/3DS having come before it.

So, i try to find the fifa demo (which i believe is the only demo available right now). I click on the Fifa banner, you know, the one with the highlighted note in the upper left hand corner that says DEMO...It takes me to the full game link to buy the game.

Um, what?

To find the demo takes a multistep process that's kinda unbelievable given that i just clicked on a banner for the demo itself. How does this make any sort of sense?

Just be organized, dammit. Let me know when stuff is hitting the store and dont make me have to solve a rubik's cube to get to it. Also, why do you have 3ds stuff pop up in the WiiU store when searching? makes no sense, man.

Are you serious, bro?

You click on the FIFA banner on the front page, click the GamePad button to download the demo, and that's it. It's about two clicks to get from eShop front page to preparing to download.

As far as 3DS stuff showing up, Iwata-San said earlier this year that Nintendo Network will be bringing unified accounts across both 3DS and Wii U. Looks like this is the first step.

Alex

Wii U eShop isnt the best, but I didnt have too many problems with it glancing around the first night. Things seemed reasonable to find, at least with it's low current amount of content.

The 3DS one is just fucked though, no one who worked on that and thought "yeah, this is good" should be actively employed.

Eyothrie

The whole eShop is a UX disaster regardless of platform. I've had a 3DS for months and still have no idea how to find titles like VVVVV or similar without manually searching. The Wii U experience will probably be no different.

I just went through every category on the 3DS eShop. VVVVVV is not showing in any of the available categories on the front page. Not "3D Games", not "Top Sellers", NONE of them.

The ONLY way to find VVVVVV is to literally know that it's there (buried) and manually search for it.

Its as if Nintendo doesnt want people to know that VVVVVV (and many other games) even exists. These devs can't be happy about this. Beyond ridiculous.

Edit: US store

Phazon

Don't know if anybody quoted it as couldn't see it wii u demos have a certain play lock out FIFA you can play only 10 times !!!!

Actually, I've never reached those limits. It might get a bit problematic if Rayman Legends only has 10 limits, because I'm going to show that one to a lot of friends in the next weeks.

zroid

Banned
I haven't really found it any more difficult to navigate than any other average online store, but maybe I'm just used to Nintendo's "way of doing things" so I can intuit their illogical design.

Actually, I've never reached those limits. It might get a bit problematic if Rayman Legends only has 10 limits, because I'm going to show that one to a lot of friends in the next weeks.

That reminds me, weren't we supposed to have the rayman demo by now

360 on a Wednesday? :/ 360 updates when content is available, its just pubs usually delay it to when the PSN stuff is available... doesn't it? :/

MS do XBLA Wednesday but they've always done XBLA on a Wednesday and sometimes Friday.

lol, it's the other way around buddy.

The WiiU shop storefront and navigation is the best console storefront so far. Given, the lack of content is currently working in it's favor to present things in a clean and organized way, but the touchscreen input alone makes it indefinetly more comfortable to navigate than the god awfull XBL marketplace.

The true test is still ahead of it though. Once a decent amount of content is available, it's going to be interesting to see how navigation and presentation of new-old stuff is handled.

prwxv3

I find it more offensive that there is only one demo on the store. There should have been a demo for almost every game at launch.

I find it more offensive that there is only one demo on the store. There should have been a demo for almost every game at launch.

Basically, this.

We need a lot of demos, only one is pathetic. Waiting on the Rayman demo as well.
But the storefront is - except from loading times - a good copycat of the latest iPhone appstore, easily manageable and with a lot of info.

It's definitely NOT a clusterfuck of design and neither do you get lost in a labyrinth searching how to find a demo download.

blu

I just went through every category on the 3DS eShop. VVVVVV is not showing in any of the available categories on the front page. Not "3D Games", not "Top Sellers", NONE of them.

The ONLY way to find VVVVVV is to literally know that it's there (buried) and manually search for it.

Its as if Nintendo doesnt want people to know that VVVVVV (and many other games) even exists. These devs can't be happy about this. Beyond ridiculous.
Erm, VVVVVV is in the eShop Essentials on the front page of the Polish store right now. Just saying.

It's really not that hard to find and download the demo.

eShop needs some damn consistency though. The "shelf" concept on the 3DS is perfectly fine, but they change the categories on a whim. The lower level shelves need to stay with consistent categories - demo/videos/VC/etc.

The German store is pretty much what it should be in all regions.

I'm in the UK, so I only have experience of the EU one. I like it - it's ridiculously far ahead of the perpetually woeful PS3 and 360 efforts, and it's a shame that the US version is apparently messier.

blu

It's not on any of the categories on the US store
It's a pity. Have you tried searching by popularity? VVVVVV is currently the 7th most popular 3dsware title on the Polish store. Actually, it's pretty darn easy to come across it on the Polish store (and I suspect a bunch of other EU stores, as the Polish one is not an exception), even if you did not suspect it existed.

rpmurphy

It's not in any of the category sections on the front page of the US store. Edited my post.
I think oddball categories are changed and titles moved around every week or so. VVVVVV not being in the best seller or top rated sections in the US store make it difficult for it to gain visibility, which is a shame, but so is the case for a lot of other eShop games that are in the same situation.

At the moment, the shop recommends other titles after people have downloaded something, but I wonder if that is also put anywhere else?

Anteo

I guess I'm in.
Also, do you really need your own copy of NSMB2? I though dlc was tied to the console and not the cart.

Fake Edit, I though I was in another thread? How..? Well Ill leave my post as is.. =/

Top Bottom