• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Invitation for an Xbox One Alpha Trial [Titanfall]

I'm watching some gameplay and it looks good.. how are the servers?
I'll likely buy for my laptop... is the PC version on MS's servers? Or are they using different ones (I know they'll be separate for PC/Xbox but I have little confidence in EA's servers after BF4).

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So this is gonna be amazing on pc?

Aside from the possibility that it may be Origin-only which seriously bugs some people, yeah. Higher resolution, more aa, more customization in general, and same network cloud support as xbone...

Xbone will likely have bigger userbase tho.

Alienous

Humans are who you really fight and work together with. AI grunts are more akin to creeps.

There are Grunts, Militia and Spectre AI, seemingly in increasing levels of combat proficiency.. The latter-most seemingly able to climb buildings.

So the AI grunts might progress as the match goes on, and be replaced by more capable allies/enemies.

Raide

Yup, reminds me somehow a Big Daddy, with the player in the role of a little sister. ^^

Haha! Yeah, I heard the player shout "Where is my Titan?" pressed the button and it came charging towards him with his guns blazing, reading to save the pilot.

I know this is Respawn and I know their history, so I hope to hell they have a load of customisation options for the Titans.

There are Grunts, Militia and Spectre AI, seemingly in increasing levels of combat proficiency.. The latter-most seemingly able to climb buildings.

So the AI grunts might progress as the match goes on, and be replaced by more capable allies/enemies.

Spectre's seem to be the stealth ones right? I am sure they will have ones planned that are all about Anti-Titan stuff. :D

Lunzio

Watched a few videos - definitely still intrigued!

Can anybody answer a few questions though:
How many Titans can be deployed on the map at once?
What kind of modes can be expected?
What dictates how long it takes for your Titan to be ready to drop?

Raide

Watched a few videos - definitely still intrigued!

Can anybody answer a few questions though:
How many Titans can be deployed on the map at once?
What kind of modes can be expected?
What dictates how long it takes for your Titan to be ready to drop?

6V6, so 12 Titans possible.

No idea of modes but the standard TDM, Capture the base etc is bound to be there but maybe some other surprises too!

Titans have a build time 2:30mins I think. (I am sure these will be settings to be tweaked to keep the flow going) A.I kills and objectives drop the time (7 or so seconds) but Human kills drops it by 30 seconds.

Absinthe

Its possible they could be a big part of objective game modes. In the videos you can see them capturing objectives which means that if your team ignores them or the objectives you will always lose. It's a good way to make sure people play the objectives.

Hopefully it works out well. Either way, Titanfall is day one for me, just something I have been noticing that makes me slightly concerned.

Lunzio

No idea of modes but the standard TDM, Capture the base etc is bound to be there but maybe some other surprises too!

Titans have a build time 2:30mins I think. (I am sure these will be settings to be tweaked to keep the flow going) A.I kills and objectives drop the time (7 or so seconds) but Human kills drops it by 30 seconds.

Thanks for the info!

Raide

Dang imagine a ctf mode chasing another player wall running after him, running on rooftops. Hype intensifies.

I hope there is some CTF style modes. Maybe Pilots can only hold the flag but get lifts from friendly Titans.

BF style Conquest would also be amazing to see.

Justin

Juggernaut mode with one person in the titan. Instead of the titan exploding it ejects the pilot when enough damage has been done.

Justin

How about a mode where you have to go out and collect a resource and bring it back to your base. When enough of the resource has been collected then your side can call down a titan. If you kill an enemy who has picked up any resources than they drop it like the skulls in halo.

There are lots of neat modes they could create in this game.

Raide

How about a mode where you have to go out and collect a resource and bring it back to your base. When enough of the resource has been collected then your side can call down a titan. If you kill an enemy who has picked up any resources than they drop it like the skulls in halo.

There are lots of neat modes they could create in this game.

I think the important thing is to think about a new mode and then figure out how you do that as a narrative driven SP style mode. Getting the calls outs etc is fun but building it all around an objective of sorts.

Of course I am sure they are going to do some plane modes without all the fluff. :D

A fun game mode would be one Titan with the railgun weapon, 6 unarmed enemy pilots trying to reach the evacuation point.
I hope there is a game type editor!

I think the important thing is to think about a new mode and then figure out how you do that as a narrative driven SP style mode. Getting the calls outs etc is fun but building it all around an objective of sorts.

Of course I am sure they are going to do some plane modes without all the fluff. :D

That's a good thought, it makes me think that the campaign may be a set sequence of maps with varying modes based on the events and progression of the "story". Perhaps when you begin playing and you "start a new campaign", you know you're starting in Angel City with Attrition, for example. Something like this would give them the flexibility to create a number of smaller, 3-5 map campaigns. Perhaps the overall performance of all games is what triggers a win, so you can lose a battle (or single match) but still win the war/campaign.

Alienous

That's a good thought, it makes me think that the campaign may be a set sequence of maps with varying modes based on the events and progression of the "story". Perhaps when you begin playing and you "start a new campaign", you know you're starting in Angel City with Attrition, for example. Something like this would give them the flexibility to create a number of smaller, 3-5 map campaigns. Perhaps the overall performance of all games is what triggers a win, so you can lose a battle (or single match) but still win the war/campaign.

If they could manage something like the Operations gametype from Killzone 3, that would be fantastic.

Mononoke

Banned
Until this alpha test every bit of footage we'd seen from Titanfall was from the PC version.

The XB1 version is most likely 720p.

I won't comment on resolution. But respawn says the Alpha test only has 25% of the final builds texture quality. And I believe it. Game looks worse than call of Duty Ghosts in this Alpha test.

do we really need to keep repeating that the texture resolution in the alpha is dialed down 75% from the retail version to keep the file size small?

I won't comment on resolution. But respawn says the Alpha test only has 25% of the final builds texture quality. And I believe it. Game looks worse than call of Duty Ghosts in this Alpha test.

I was responding to someone who asked why it didn't look like the trailers. I think the resolution alone could account for that.

Sure, the textures being better will help, but ultimately that missing resolution is going to keep the XB1 version from ever looking as good as the trailers we've seen.

gkryhewy

I was responding to someone who asked why it didn't look like the trailers. I think the resolution alone could account for that.

Sure, the textures being better will help, but ultimately that missing resolution is going to keep the XB1 version from ever looking as good as the trailers we've seen.

And some folks will always be around to remind us of that. Can't get enough 720p talk.

Mononoke

Banned

You are right! I try to stay away from discussing technical aspects, because I've shown to be ignorant and out of my depth. I always put my foot in my mouth and say something stupid. But because I'm curious...

The game at least to me, looks very blocky. Almost geometrical. Does that have to do with resolution (I thought so, but am I wrong)? If so, that won't change in the final build, if the resolution is in fact, 720p. The only thing that will change, is the quality of the textures (so going from muddy/blurry to more clear etc.).

So while the game will look better in the final, it won't be miraculous. All this is correct right?

EDIT: I'm not trying to kick up a resolution war/talk. I own both the X1 and PS4. The fact that I play my X1 more than my PS4, shows that I clearly don't care that much about resolution (although I still think it's important, and WANT it to be better). I'm only bringing the above up, because I want to know what to expect from Alpha to final build. What kind of expectations I should have.

I don't really have high expectations, personally. But I'm fine with that. The Alpha has sold me on the game 100%. I love it, and can't get enough of it. But still curious about what changes are likely. To me, a lot of the objects in this game are geometrical block (so rock, or certain building structures). Just wasn't sure if that the kind of thing that might change, or if that is tied to resolution.

And some folks will always be around to remind us of that. Can't get enough 720p talk.

I was just responding to a question. Not hating on the XB1 version at all. I'm buying it day one regardless of 720p. I am super hyped for this game. :)

You are right! I try to stay away from discussing technical aspects, because I've shown to be ignorant and out of my depth. I always put my foot in my mouth and say something stupid. But because I'm curious...

The game at least to me, looks very blocky. Almost geometrical. Does that have to do with resolution (I thought so, but am I wrong)? If so, that won't change in the final build, if the resolution is in fact, 720p. The only thing that will change, is the quality of the textures (so going from muddy/blurry to more clear etc.).

So while the game will look better in the final, it won't be miraculous. All this is correct right?

I think that is a safe assumption.

It's also only from one person too, very exciting.

I am far from the only person who's been discussing the technical aspects of this game, including it's resolution.

Would it make you feel better if no one was allowed to mention the XB1 version is 720p?

Mononoke

Banned
We don't have any responsibilities to enforce other companies' NDAs. Bans rescinded and OP statement removed.

Cool. Sorry for editing the OP and adding that, I was just trying to help out after Bish warned folks in the thread (didn't want anyone else getting banned). I probably should have asked you, or someone else on staff before doing so. Won't happen again.

the red worm

Neo Member

I shit a Titan with my anti Titan rocket. It wasn't a kill shot and I saw a "-24 seconds" pop up.

jond76

Banned
Well, I guess this ends today and I'm at work till 11pm. So, thanks, Respawn for the opportunity!

The game was a ton of fun. I like the fact that even if you're a terrible player you still get to pilot some Titans.

6v6 is not an issue. Traversing is super fun...

Day one digital.

EL CUCO

We don't have any responsibilities to enforce other companies' NDAs. Bans rescinded and OP statement removed.
phwccZd.jpg

Mononoke

Banned
Well, I guess this ends today and I'm at work till 11pm. So, thanks, Respawn for the opportunity!

The game was a ton of fun. I like the fact that even if you're a terrible player you still get to pilot some Titans.

6v6 is not an issue. Traversing is super fun...

Day one digital.

It was extended till tomorrow night.

Top Bottom