• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Mafia |OT| Grin and Bear It

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
A bunch of people got nervous and revealed themselves for no good reason. Setre revealed himself when he had like two votes on him. I'd rather we lynch power roles than have EVERY power role out in the open. That's what will happen if we encourage this hyper-aggressive playstyle. Easy pickings for Despair. If exmachine64 revealed himself, Hutts would have killed him that night. Instead, we killed Lord of Castamere, who was effectively an ordinary town since he used his ability that night. exmachine64 didn't even defend himself - just got mad and left.

I mean, I think we can do both - hyper-aggressive works, but people need to learn to cope with that better. You don't drop hints you have a role when there are two votes on you, or four votes, or even eight votes or whatnot. You do it literally one vote before you get lynched if there is absolutely no other possible way you can persuade people. Fundamentally, the best defense in mafia is a good offense - if people are lynching you unjustly, the best way you can stop them doing that is by getting them to lynch someone else. You could do that by revealing your role - except they may not believe you and if they do you still get picked off by Despair. Alternatively, you can do that by persuading them that someone else is even more scummy than you are.

As such, I think it's pretty important we do keep up constant pressure via the votes, and with that in mind,

VOTE: Makai

franconp

Just some info:

-We have just two players who haven't posted since the day started: A Human Becoming and Salvapot.

-Aside from the people who hasn't posted yet there are 5 players that posted but haven't cast a vote so far: ANuclearError, Pau, Hagi, Zippedpinhead and AbsolutBro.

-We have just one player who voted, unvoted and didn't cast a new vote: CzarTim.

I think that everyone should realize that it's important to post and to cast a vote, even if you decide to change it after, as voting leads to discussion and that's the best weapon we have against Despair.

*Splinter

Hmm, that was a pretty hard thread derail by Makai, before that the conversation was starting to move to Sawneeks:

I'm going to shift my vote to someone else whom I would like to hear more from.

VOTE: Sawneeks
My bad, everyone.

Vote: Sawneeks

And when Launch called him for it, Makai suggested a vote of No Punishment, despite the town's so far unanimous decision to Punish. Voting for No Punishment at this point is about as effective as not voting at all, but it does allow him to skip out on voting for anyone else.

I'm not going to change my vote just yet, since I expect things to continue changing over the next couple of days anyway, but I'd be curious to hear Makai's actual thoughts on the game so far.

Someone noted earlier that Town members need to communicate with each other, and that the best way to do that is to post frequently. This makes sense to me. Several people have also stated that they have mistrust for quiet people. Taking those two things together, one should probably make sure to keep active in the thread. One player seems to have taken that line of thinking a little too far, seems a little over active to me, and that has raised my suspicion. So I must cast a vote:

VOTE: swamped
While I can see where you're coming from, I really don't like this line of thinking. It only discourages discussion which is a Very Bad Thing for town.

Though I really want to just jump on that absolutbro vote
Just remember, I never voted for you!

Hey, my vote for you wasn't personal! Blame the RNG God lol. Anyway, I didn't vote for you to Punish you, but just to get the ball rolling and see how you would respond. There's something about your post that strikes me as Hope aligned so for now, I'm going to shift my vote to someone else whom I would like to hear more from.

VOTE: Sawneeks
Yeah, I figured you were pulling a TB. :p

Reading the thread, it's interesting to see the new players diving in headfirst in a way that I wasn't capable of in my first game (WDiotL). Good stuff! Too bad I have to

vote: kingkitty

Even though you were kind enough not to jump on the "punish Absolutbro train" as you put it, in a field of "not much information", couple things seemed off:

Curious to see how Absolutbro defends himself. Hopefully he doesn't have an important role.
Soft request for a role claim? I mean, I think most people realized what swamped was doing, and this:
I don't know who is mafia. But I support blood for the blood god.
Heretical Khornate scum? Not on my watch citizen!

Just some info:

-We have just two players who haven't posted since the day started: A Human Becoming and Salvapot.

-Aside from the people who hasn't posted yet there are 5 players that posted but haven't cast a vote so far: ANuclearError, Pau, Hagi, Zippedpinhead and AbsolutBro.

-We have just one player who voted, unvoted and didn't cast a new vote: CzarTim.

I think that everyone should realize that it's important to post and to cast a vote, even if you decide to change it after, as voting leads to discussion and that's the best weapon we have against Despair.

I agree, and for lot of us (myself included) it's our only strength in this game.

I also support the day one lynch, but I'm not going to just jump on the bandwagon on the first 24 hours. A lot of this game is taking in how other react and pay attention to what they do/say.

That being said, where is the defense absolutbro?

Makai

Hmm, that was a pretty hard thread derail by Makai, before that the conversation was starting to move to Sawneeks:

And when Launch called him for it, Makai suggested a vote of No Punishment, despite the town's so far unanimous decision to Punish. Voting for No Punishment at this point is about as effective as not voting at all, but it does allow him to skip out on voting for anyone else.

I'm not going to change my vote just yet, since I expect things to continue changing over the next couple of days anyway, but I'd be curious to hear Makai's actual thoughts on the game so far.
If you want to vote for me, just change your vote. No need to "angle" yourself into it. Didn't you say this is your first game? I was mafia last game and town pretty much did all of the work for us. Their willingness to put all of their cards on the table and follow bandwagons were primary factors in their demise. Challenging consensus is good. We know nothing. Tomorrow, we will have objective information to work with. The way I see it, we can either:

1: use investigatory roles to discover Despair
2: roll the dice and hope we get lucky

I like option 1.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I thought it started today!
wtzgU.gif
I had the tab open days ago. Always a late one.

I'm browsing the wiki Mafia at the moment. But if there are any of you who would be kind enough to explain the hierarchy / sequence on what role power takes precedence over other ones, that would help.

For example, if a Switcher switch two players (say, A and B) and one of them is targeted by the Mafia (say A is targeted), will the switch happen first (B will die instead) or the kill happens first (A dies)?

Note that this is my first Mafia game.

If you want to vote for me, just change your vote. No need to "angle" yourself into it. Didn't you say this is your first game? I was mafia last game and town pretty much did all of the work for us. Their willingness to put all of their cards on the table and follow bandwagons were primary factors in their demise. Challenging consensus is good. We know nothing. Tomorrow, we will have objective information to work with. The way I see it, we can either:

I like option 1.

I agree.

Makai

I'm browsing the wiki Mafia at the moment. But if there are any of you who would be kind enough to explain the hierarchy / sequence on what role power takes precedence over other ones, that would help.

For example, if a Switcher switch two players (say, A and B) and one of them is targeted by the Mafia (say A is targeted), will the switch happen first (B will die instead) or the kill happens first (A dies)?

Depends on the game. Just PM LaunchPad. Don't ask here and accidentally reveal your role ;)

That actually happened last game, though. We targeted Palmer. johnnyquicknives switched him with (blanking on the name). Other person died and Palmer lived so we thought he was a serial killer.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
See some good discussion, and it reminded me of a post I saw earlier that kinda bugged me:

Was away over the weekend.

Seeing that all of us have zero theories at this stage, I will vote for the first one that cast the stone.

Vote: Swamped

Why did it bug me? Well for starters, he had a vote on him well before posting, and he didn't address it.

And then there's his vote. While I'm not fully convinced, I highly doubt that swamped is mafia. A first strike like the one she did(which I am very familiar with) is usually a strong sign of a ordinary student. This is because they have nothing but their power to vote, so they want to use it as best as they possibly can.

I liked AB's defence, and since I always vote someone I think suspicious:

VOTE: goshujinsama

Terrabyte20xx

I agree.
Roleblocks and communters usually are the priority, then switchers, followed by everyone else.

Depends on the game. Just PM LaunchPad. Don't ask here and accidentally reveal your role ;)

That actually happened last game, though. We targeted Palmer. johnnyquicknives switched him with (blanking on the name). Other person died and Palmer lived so we thought he was a serial killer.

Good tip, thanks. Didn't know that it would differ game to game, that's why I thought it would be safe to ask here.

I suppose reading past games would help if only to learn what mistakes happened.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I agree, Crab. We need more information about each other.

I dug through the warehouse to find these cards. (Not really, but let's go along with it.)

YLA5v0S.gif

Everyone, pick a number between 1 and 9.

Each number is assigned to a card. You answer yes or no to the question, simple.

If your number is
2, 8, or 9
, answer the left card.
If your number is
3, 4, or 5
, answer the middle card.
If your number is
1, 6, or 7
, answer the right card.

Of course you are free to lie or ignore these cards altogether. My answer to one of the cards is no.
Mine is also no, if that means anything.

Not sure what to make of people here yet. I feel too uncertain to vote.

kgtrep

Thanks everyone who answered my questionnaire. I know it's silly, but we can learn more about each other by engaging in these activities. If you haven't answered and want to, just say yes or no to the card that you choose.

(Plus, why should the mafia get to have all the fun by cornering us in doubt and paranoia on our first day? We should be messing with them instead.)

Someone noted earlier that Town members need to communicate with each other, and that the best way to do that is to post frequently. This makes sense to me. Several people have also stated that they have mistrust for quiet people. Taking those two things together, one should probably make sure to keep active in the thread. One player seems to have taken that line of thinking a little too far, seems a little over active to me, and that has raised my suspicion. So I must cast a vote:

Swamped and I have both been posting a lot, but I don't think that swamped has been using that activity to try and dictate how the votes would go. So personally my suspicions aren't raised.

Reading the thread, it's interesting to see the new players diving in headfirst in a way that I wasn't capable of in my first game (WDiotL). Good stuff! Too bad I have to

vote: kingkitty

Soft request for a role claim? I mean, I think most people realized what swamped was doing, and this:

This actually seems like a valid point. "Hopefully you don't have an important role" does seem like a way to try and goad a lesser player into revealing whether or not they have a power to Despair. It may just be an offhand comment by an experienced player though. Is kingkitty new to forum mafia?

kgtrep

Swamped and I have both been posting a lot, but I don't think that swamped has been using that activity to try and dictate how the votes would go. So personally my suspicions aren't raised.

This actually seems like a valid point. "Hopefully you don't have an important role" does seem like a way to try and goad a lesser player into revealing whether or not they have a power to Despair. It may just be an offhand comment by an experienced player though. Is kingkitty new to forum mafia?

I believe in swamped as well. No, kingkitty played in the first two seasons.

I agree.

I hate pointing this out, but I think that you've pretty much given away that you have whatever power you're trying to figure out. It would have been much better to just PM the person who wrote the roles and is running the game than to out yourself in this thread.

I sincerely hope you aren't Hope aligned because then we've just lost an ally with a very useful ability.

Now I am newish to Mafia. If I am correct and goshujin has the Switcher power, is that power typically held by Town or Mafia? Because we really shouldn't vote for goshujin if he is more likely to be Hope aligned based on his power.

Missed some posts:

Roleblocks and communters usually are the priority, then switchers, followed by everyone else.

Thanks.

See some good discussion, and it reminded me of a post I saw earlier that kinda bugged me:

Why did it bug me? Well for starters, he had a vote on him well before posting, and he didn't address it.

And then there's his vote. While I'm not fully convinced, I highly doubt that swamped is mafia. A first strike like the one she did(which I am very familiar with) is usually a strong sign of a ordinary student. This is because they have nothing but their power to vote, so they want to use it as best as they possibly can.

I thought kingkitty's vote for me was in jest. More so because of him googling my nick and all, so I felt that it didn't bother me.

But, I agree on swamped reading like a good member of Hope.

Unvote: swamped

Thanks everyone who answered my questionnaire. I know it's silly, but we can learn more about each other by engaging in these activities. If you haven't answered and want to, just say yes or no to the card that you choose.

(Plus, why should the mafia get to have all the fun by cornering us in doubt and paranoia on our first day? We should be messing with them instead.)

I answered No to my card.

franconp

I like option 1.

For option 1 to be succesful we need to have investigatory roles, can you say for sure that we have some? We don't know what roles are in play here. Maybe we don't have investigatory roles or maybe they can't be useful yet.

For example in the AC game the only investigative roles town had were 2 lightsleepers who could detect activity inside a zone but the HHA (mafia) had the ability to evade them and evict silently. The only other investigative role was an HHA investigator so it didn't help town.

We can't depend of investigative roles, in fact we can't depend in any role as we don't know if they exist and we don't know if Despair has a way to nullify them. Discussion is our best option. That's why we need to vote, so we can force people to share their views and participate in the game.

Any of them. Usually more of a Hope role but it could be in any of those.

Then I need to ask Terrabyte20xx why he placed a vote for goshujinsama right after goshujin basically revealed his role/power. Punishing a Despair player with a role would be huge. But the risk of punishing a Hope player with a role seems like too big a risk to take. The way I see it, voting for goshujin doesn't make much sense for Hope to do on Day1.

Ok, a lot of new accusations have been chucked around today. When I get to work this evening I'll have to sort through them and see what looks to be worth pursuing.

Terrabyte20xx

Then I need to ask Terrabyte20xx why he placed a vote for goshujinsama right after goshujin basically revealed his role/power. Punishing a Despair player with a role would be huge. But the risk of punishing a Hope player with a role seems like too big a risk to take. The way I see it, voting for goshujin doesn't make much sense for Hope to do on Day1.
I was in the middle of typing when he posted his question. :/

Makai

I hate pointing this out, but I think that you've pretty much given away that you have whatever power you're trying to figure out. It would have been much better to just PM the person who wrote the roles and is running the game than to out yourself in this thread.

I sincerely hope you aren't Hope aligned because then we've just lost an ally with a very useful ability. QUOTE]Not a big deal. If he really is Switcher, he can target himself! : D

Makai

EDIT:

I sincerely hope you aren't Hope aligned because then we've just lost an ally with a very useful ability.
Not a big deal. If he really is Switcher, he can target himself! : D

Going to sleep for tonight. Since there were a lot of votes thrown out, I'm going to post these up as often as I think is necessary.

Time Remaining in the Day Phase:
t1438815600z4.png

Current votes
(12 votes needed for majority):
Names with a strike voted, and then unvoted.

AbsolutBro (2)
swamped
Terrabyte20xx
CornBurrito

*Splinter
ViviOggi

*Splinter (0)
kgtrep

kgtrep (0)
*Splinter

A Human Becoming (0)
Crab

ANuclearError (1)
franconp

CornBurrito (0)
CzarTim
Kalor

goshujinsama (2)
kingkitty
Terrabyte20xx

SalvaPot (2)
Kalor
Pau

ViviOggi (1)
BarryLocke

Sawneeks (2)
swamped
kgtrep

swamped (1)
goshujinsama
Rest

Rest (1)
swaneeks

Makai (1)
Crab

kingkitty (1)
AbsolutBro

No Punishment (1)
Makai

Just a reminder, we are playing with a plurality - meaning if one decision has more votes than any other at the end of the Day Phase, that is the decision that goes into effect.

Also, let me know if I made a mistake. It's a little tricky keeping track of votes.

kgtrep

Launch, that's what I have too, but can you fix Sawneeks' name under Rest? Her name has been misspelled. Thanks.

Swamped

Banned

I'm active for two main reasons:

1. I really love Danganronpa (I think Launchpad has done an awesome job with the flavor!)
2. Day 1 can easily turn into a lull, given that there is no information to work from. So I believe that activity is important, as the more we speak the more evidence we have to look over later in the game. Voting is a great power, fellow students!

Swamped

Banned
But, I agree on swamped reading like a good member of Hope.

Unvote: swamped

Hmmm while you are doing the right thing by unvoting me, it comes off as a knee-jerk reaction to Terrabyte's vote on you, like you want him to unvote you.

So who do you think is suspicious? Based on that, I will unvote/change my vote. (I'll only really fix my vote near the end of the day phase). I actually kinda wanted Sawneeks to say more, but ah well, I can always re-vote for her at a later point.

Hmmm while you are doing the right thing by unvoting me, it comes off as a knee-jerk reaction to Terrabyte's vote on you, like you want him to unvote you.

So who do you think is suspicious? Based on that, I will unvote/change my vote. (I'll only really fix my vote near the end of the day phase). I actually kinda wanted Sawneeks to say more, but ah well, I can always re-vote for her at a later point.

So... I'd read the rest of this page. Or otherwise I need you to explain why you think voting for the Switcher (which according to franconp is usually a Hope aligned role) is a good idea.

Swamped

Banned
So... I'd read the rest of this page. Or otherwise I need you to explain why you think voting for the Switcher (which according to franconp is usually a Hope aligned role) is a good idea.

WHAT he's the switcher????

Ahhhh just read that exchange, there's a good possibility he is :/

UNVOTE: goshujinsama

Now, to find more suspicious people to vote for...

Makai

Switcher was neutral last game. He won when he switched two people successfully.

kgtrep

I find it interesting that Monokuma added doors to our rooms on the map at the last minute, citing that the lack of them might confuse us.

Does anyone else think the direction in which the doors are facing (e.g. the room directly opposite of you) will become important during the nights?

Sawneeks

Banned

I'm up for answering questions and giving you my best answer but, honestly, I don't know what else to say. With no information to go on everyone is moving blindly right now and I'm not really feeling confident on who to vote for and who not to vote for. I have my suspicions on some people but nothing that tells me 'hey they are PROBABLY despair'.

I find it interesting that Monokuma added doors to our rooms on the map at the last minute, citing that the lack of them might confuse us.

Does anyone else think the direction in which the doors are facing (e.g. the room directly opposite of you) will become important during the nights?

Possibly? Maybe it involves actions taken during the night? In the rules Launchpad did say that "where you go during the night doesn't matter as much as how you get there". I'm paraphrasing a bit but it sounds like those who have actions might have a chance to get caught.

SalvaPot

Goddamit Launchpad the last time I read the thread you said the game was starting on Monday, so I decided to skip on all the fluff and the blarg spam and I decide to check now and everyone is going crazy with accusations and I missed my chance to make a joke about voting you first. Lovely.

Anyway, I am strongly Pro-No lynch on the first day, people who know me from the Animal Crossing game knows why, I believe there has to be an investigative role between hope and our chances of finding a despair player this early on the game is low low low, as low as Yamcha´s Ki. If we get a Hope aligned character on Day 1 and Dispair gets another one on Night 1, that is 2 members less that could have been useful to us.

Yes, information is nice and we totally should get a discussion going, and threatening others players is a nice way of doing it, but lets not get carried away with the bandwagons. Most roles need at least 1 day to lend some results, I am sure launchpad won´t resist adding all kinds of fun silly roles that can give Hope a fighting chance, so as always, I think patience is a virtue in mafia as much as information.

Vote: No Punishment.[/QUOTE]

Oh, and I realize I got two votes on me already, but I am not too worried about them since they are done because of my inactivity, don´t worry about, from now on I won´t shut up =P.

And if a lynch tonight is imminent, I feel like swamped and Terrabyte20xx are my first suspects for despair, I find swamped attitude in the game incredibly forced, like she is trying to hard to play as a leader for hope while getting people against each other to generate confusion, maybe she is with good intentions but I am watching you, any slip and I´ll notice.

About Terra, as cornburrito said I find it extremely suspicious how he acted about goshujinsama, seemed like a reaction vote to me. Oh, and for the record, I don´t goshujinsama is a swapper, if anything I think his question was properly formatted, he knew that his question could be answered by checking online but still decided to ask here, instead of, say, sending our moderator a pm. I find that weird. What are you up to, goshujin?

SalvaPot

Oh, and ignore the quote thing, since I have a hard time spelling highlights I always copy it from someone else, but somehow didn´t remove the quote thing x), I tend to not proof read my posts.

SalvaPot

Going to sleep now, took me an hour to read through all your posts, please have something interesting to say by tomorrow x), have fun kids!

Top Bottom