• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hindsight is 20/20: Killzone: Shadow Fall

liunli

Neo Member
Incredible atmosphere, loved the scify setting. Boring and dull story. I cringed i think. Awesome mp. The GP was awesome
I seem to be one of the few who enjoyed this game based on the atmosphere and setting, heck i dont even know what the story was about.

emrober5

I played the multiplayer for weeks in the lead up to Horizon...

It's as good as it ever was. Still seems to be a small community in Deathmatch and Warzone as well. I really think GG had something great with Killzone, I don't understand why the multiplayer never hooked the mass audience. Killzone 2 MP is one of the best ever.

The campaign? Still haven't finished it. It was nothing special or offensive from what I played. It was just there.

GHG

Gold Member
Don't understand why GAF hates on this game. Did everyone just treat it like a standard run and gun shooter instead of using the OWL or something?

The strongest memories I have of it involve a bunch of set pieces in the final third of the game that were really hard and really boring. Especially those ones where you had to shoot those robot birds carrying batteries that you needed to insert into slots to proceed - you were just constantly taking damage and it felt like more luck than judgement when you did it. I guess you were supposed to deploy your shield or something, but it was useless as the enemies would just fly around it and shoot directly at you.

Oh and one at the end where you needed to use your drone to seal infinitely-spawning monster closets, except monsters would keep coming out of the closets to cancel your hack, and by the time you kill them to try again, the next wave was ready to pop out of the closet.

The campaign starts off well enough, but boy does it go to shit by the end.

The multiplayer was fun enough, in a very slapdash and chaotic kind of way. Boy did people love to spam shields and grenades in one section of the map.

6/10

Yep. First third is actually pretty good, and has some awesome looking levels to give you the sense that maybe it'll be something special.

The next third sees everything turn towards "meh" territory. Not awful, but it just loses everything that was compelling about the beginning, including the gorgeous level design.

The final third is atrocious, and feels rushed. It's a hodgepodge of bizzarre design decisions (that free fall, anyone?) and half-baked executions.

Playing Horizon now, it really feels like this game has been brewing for a long time. Like, it was probably in pre-production and major conversations on it were being held as they were wrapping up Shadowfall. I feel like Guerilla's heart just wasn't in the Killzone franchise by the time Shadowfall rolled around. The franchise peaked with Killzone 2, and had two very solid handheld offerings (I contend that Liberation is one of the best Killzone titles), but everything else is either decent or bleh.

Oh fuck I forgot about this bullshit. I could never wrap my head around that shit.

absolute dogshit

i think they were trying to invoke some sort of North/South Korea or India/Pakistan like politic message but somehow didn't manage to make sense of that premise given the context

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Oh fuck I forgot about this bullshit. I could never wrap my head around that shit.

absolute dogshit
"And then there are people like you, judging and treating us like we are the criminals."

Yea because you look this THIS:
er_photo_209854.jpg

How important are evil villain trenchcoats and glowing red eyes to Helghast culture?? In fact, the whole game is supposed to be a stealth mission, yet, the player is constantly instructed to kill enemies because it's a shooter with no player agency, are the helghast just finding these fields of bodies and thinking nothing of it? It makes no sense.

Not a good game really. Beautiful, stunning to look at however.

But I believe Shadow Falls failings helped give us Horizon so in that sense I'm really glad it existed.

CrocoDuck

Multiplayer is some of the best I have ever played in an FPS. The game is incredibly balanced, with some of the most well designed maps ever (and all the dlc maps are free, too!). Nothing is OP in multiplayer, and it really is a game that must be played with teamwork, no COD-one-man-army kind of thing.

As for the single player... it's nothing special.

Orca

There's not a single charming or memorable character in the game's campaign. It is so transparently a tech demo with how close characters lean into you to show off their engine's uncanny valley face capture. And the levels get increasingly linear after the first forest level which, wasn't even that fun since there's not much to find while "exploring." The helghast are sincerely one of the most misused enemy factions in shooter history. Sincerely it's the most nonsensical premise, literally destroyed their planet n self defense and let them do a hostile takeover of half of our planet while retaining the nazi imagery and weaponry.

That's the biggest failing of the entire franchise. They had an incredible villain in the Helghast and did nothing with them. No spoilers, but by the end of the second game I hated a member of the good guys more than I did any of the Helghast.

TP-DK

Great multiplayer, I had a lot of fun with it, though it wasn't as good as Killzone 2.

The singleplayer? The story is incredibly dumb and the level design is forgettable and sometimes bad. There were a few levels that were fun but it was mostly mediocre.

That's the biggest failing of the entire franchise. They had an incredible villain in the Helghast and did nothing with them. No spoilers, but by the end of the second game I hated a member of the good guys more than I did any of the Helghast.

I think we are all glad GG learnt their lesson with Horizon..

Tapejara

The campaign was underwhelming. While I appreciate Guerrilla trying to go with a more open level design and give the player more stealth options, I don't think the final product actually benefited much from those decisions. I much preferred the tight corridors from Killzone 2 and 3. The story is also rather dull, and while the previous games weren't standouts in the narrative department they were much better paced.

Now, multiplayer is where the game really shines. Warzone is just as fun and chaotic as the previous games. Targeting 60FPS was the right choice, and the post-launch support was amazing. I'm not sure how big the community is these days, but if there are still people playing I think it's worth checking out and a completely underrated multiplayer experience. Makes me hope Sony and Guerrilla aren't finished with the series yet.

Complete garbage. Beautiful, some levels are decent, and some are just awful designs. Really bad game. Reminded me very much of Perfect Dark Zero. PDZ is worse, for sure, but they felt similar - launch title by a storied developer, bad level design, boring, aimless, terrible writing.

ironcreed

Banned
It's funny. I actually fired this up a few nights ago in order to compare it to Horizon visually and it is still a stunner in places.

The strongest memories I have of it involve a bunch of set pieces in the final third of the game that were really hard and really boring. Especially those ones where you had to shoot those robot birds carrying batteries that you needed to insert into slots to proceed - you were just constantly taking damage and it felt like more luck than judgement when you did it. I guess you were supposed to deploy your shield or something, but it was useless as the enemies would just fly around it and shoot directly at you.

Oh and one at the end where you needed to use your drone to seal infinitely-spawning monster closets, except monsters would keep coming out of the closets to cancel your hack, and by the time you kill them to try again, the next wave was ready to pop out of the closet.

Final third was so, so bad.

black070

GAF tends to work on a best/worst game ever scale with nothing in between. It certainly doesn't reach the heights that 2 & 3 did, but it was a fun game to play through once and the visuals still hold up today.

Zemm

Genuinely one of the worst games I've ever played. Like I can easily filter out 99% of the rubbish, but this one managed to sneak through, thankfully I only borrowed it from a friend.

I dropped the campaign after a couple hours. The multiplayer had potential, but framerate was pretty all over the place and map design wasn't great.

Intercept mode is good, but I expect it's dead, alongside the MP (which was uber eh).

SP is still pretty good to play, even though traversal and movement are cumbersome compared to more contemporary FPS titles, ala Destiny. And the story is eye-rolling, like most of the other KZ games.

horkrux

Couldn't even bring myself to finish it. There was a segment later on where you had to fend off waves of enemies and that shit was just not fun at all.

The first few missions, I was like "Whoah".

Beautiful graphics, open-level, decent shooting.

After that, it was just a mess with trivial and boring levels, and what story?

I remember one level being frustrating because enemies kept spawning, bad level design.

For me it was a solid shooter with really nice graphics and decent multi-player, it was just let down by the poor single player story and characters. I actually missed the gritty war setting + Sev & Rico from the older games, at least they had more personality then the Shadow Fall characters.

test_account

XP-39C²
Thought the campaign was fine and i loved the multiplayer.

Worst game I ever finished. Still.
Just curious, for how long have you been gaming?

There's not a single charming or memorable character in the game's campaign. It is so transparently a tech demo with how close characters lean into you to show off their engine's uncanny valley face capture. And the levels get increasingly linear after the first forest level which, wasn't even that fun since there's not much to find while "exploring." The helghast are sincerely one of the most misused enemy factions in shooter history. Sincerely it's the most nonsensical premise, literally destroyed their planet n self defense and let them do a hostile takeover of half of our planet while retaining the nazi imagery and weaponry.
It was Stahl who destroyed the planet, no? Not Helghast. I also think the self defense was a nuke in one city, from Killzone 2.

fernoca

Pretty much.
And the less linear design didn't mean much since even in huge areas like the forest, you basically were in A and had to arrive to D, by going either through B or C.

The game is fun and looks pretty though.

And I'll pay whatever they ask if they made a sequel to Liberation with this visuals.

Breakaway

It was a solid launch title to me. The visuals and art style were great, and the gameplay wasn't bad. I really enjoyed using the OWL and switching between the fire modes of the LSR44 Spoor. The campaign had a few nice levels and set-pieces but I couldn't stand the final few acts. Overall, I had more fun with KZ2, KZ3, and Mercenary.

Graphically I still think it's one of the best looking games of this gen. Unfortunately the storytelling is piss poor with boring level design. Gameplay was just too sluggish for me as well. I had fun with the MP in the few hours I spent with it. Glad they're on Horizon now.

AJ_Wings

Underneath the shit show of a story, awful characters, half-assed encounter design, bafflingly stupid & tedious "puzzle" sections & bad pacing... there is a solid shooter that can be made with these mechanics & ideas.

But boy is that campaign just terrible.

Max_Po

Banned
I bet most of the people talking literally shit about the game have never owned it even played it.

Yes the game sucks but it was a great launch title.

Amazing graphics which still stand out. Mediocre game play.

Keep in mind it was a launch title and it did impress graphically. .., which is mainly the point to show flashy graphics and sell the system.

I finished the game on Normal but could not bring myself to finish it on hard.

Loved this game.

Not sure what everyone's deal was. Guns felt great, movement was great, enemies were fun to kill and were extremely aggressive. Killzone SF has great enemy AI.

Tough but fair game with very beautiful environments. A solid entry IMO, not as good as KZ2, but still a great game.

The multiplayer is really solid too, great core mechanics that translate into good skill based shooting. Low degree of auto aim too, I don't use it personally at all.

I enjoyed it more than Halo 5s campaign. It was more fun, looked better and had better shootouts. Definitely got hurt by being a launch game but still fun and MP was a blast.

Top Bottom