• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto man angry after learning that his effortless $8,100 master's degree is fake

Erwin Sniedzins doesn't trust traditional universities.

So when the Toronto business management consultant found one offering a master's degree requiring no studying, exams, or academic work — for just $8,100 — Sniedzins thought it was a school sharing his unconventional approach to education.

Yeah, sounds like he found "a school sharing his unconventional approach to education," alright.
And if that's all he wanted, he's good to go.

The "problem" is that basically no one else shares that view, and so for those people it's meaningless.

Bakercat

Why do I need a medical degree in 2017? I have web M.D and neogaf to figure out what is wrong with clients. I've cured dozens...dozens!!!

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Undergraduate degree was in Business Administration (Economics Major) and a Law Degree.

The vast majority of the debt (roughly 85%) is from Law School. I only had about 15k debt from undergrad.

#1 rule in life: Don't go to Law School

Oh both of those degrees are not what I expected. I was under the impression it would be Medieval Religious Architecture in Rural Spain or something. Law and Business sound employable?

FreeMufasa

"I don't need a fancy medical degree, I know in my heart that already have the knowledge! Now let's take a look at that spleen of yours..."

love.jpg

Oh both of those degrees are not what I expected. I was under the impression it would be Medieval Religious Architecture in Rural Spain or something. Law and Business sound employable?

There are no employable degrees. Only employable universities. The only inherent value the degree has comes from the strength of the alumni network. A good university will have a widespread and successful alumni base in various senior positions of power across the country, these individuals have an inherent bias towards hiring and recrutiing graduates from the same Universities they went to, thus continuing the cycle. DC is probably the greatest example of this, where the culture of elitism is so strong that you are completely SOL unless your alma mater was an Ivy League School or Georgetown.

I did not go to a good University. (Granted it was the best University in my state for both Business and Law school, but I was born and raised in a shitty flyover state so that's rather meaningless)

The majority of my former peers (the ones I've kept in contact with anyways) have struggled just as much as I have.

There are no employable degrees. Only employable universities. The only inherent value the degree has comes from the strength of the alumni base.

I did not go to a good University. (Granted it was the best University in my state for both Business and Law school, but I was born and raised in a shitty flyover state so that's rather meaningless)

The majority of my former peers (the ones I've kept in contact with anyways) have struggled just as much as I have.

This screams of a big cop out, passing the blame.

You should be able to put your skills to work.

There are no employable degrees. Only employable universities.

Disagree.

It's possible for what is considered "employable universities" to offer degrees that are considered "not employable degrees" and "employable degrees."

Yes, if the university is an "unemployable university" the degrees don't mean anything, but if that isn't the case, degrees still matter

prag16

Banned
There are no employable degrees. Only employable universities. The only inherent value the degree has comes from the strength of the alumni base.

This... kind of sounds like bullshit. Do you have more than an anecdote to back this? Nevertheless, unless you're absolute entry level, educational background matters less and less as you move through your career...

NekoFever

This is amazing. I've come across a lot of these "I don't need a fancy degree because I graduated from the university of life" people.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This first lesson on life just cost you $8,100, chump-ass.

Guy isn't a fraction as smart as he believes himself to be if he honestly thought this was legitimate.

Azuran

Banned
At least he can take comfort knowing that he would have paid more for a fake degree if he had attended Trump University.

Disagree.

It's possible for what is considered "employable universities" to offer degrees that are considered "not employable degrees" and "employable degrees."

Yes, if the university is an "unemployable university" the degrees don't mean anything, but if that isn't the case, degrees still matter

There aren't very many (if any at all) Psychology and Communications graduates from Harvard or Stanford who are struggling to find work.

Meanwhile there are numerous graduates from mediocre colleges with "in-demand degrees" who can't land an interview anywhere.

collige

Banned
There aren't very many (if any at all) Psychology and Communications graduates from Harvard or Stanford who are struggling to find work.

Meanwhile there are numerous graduates from mediocre colleges with "in-demand degrees" who can't land an interview anywhere.

Receipts.

Aselith

I got my doctorate in pimpology from Kings Lake not sure what this article is talking about but they are legit as fuck. It even says so on my diploma.

Catdaddy

At least all he wasted for his worthless degree was money.

Imagine spending four years on one :-D

Faculty3btext.jpg

Seems legit.

Searched Google Images and the dude/pics came back on a "how to dress on casual Fridays" and other websites. Add in he has a degree in snazzy dressing as well...

I always find it hilarious when people are sceptical of established authorities, yet blindly trust some smug person offering an alternative.

"I don't trust those big medical corporations, but film actress Gwyneth Paltrow is selling magic stickers at $60 a box, those'll do!"

LakeEarth

I always find it hilarious when people are sceptical of established authorities, yet blindly trust some smug person offering an alternative.

"I don't trust those big medical corporations, but film actress Gwyneth Paltrow is selling magic stickers at $60 a box, those'll do!"

"You're an idiot for believing the official story that THEY want you to think. I get my information from random youtube videos, thank you very much."

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, if you don't actually look at it more than superficially.

For instance, on the Science page:

Screams scam to start with. But then it follows with

On the science page. Yeah.
What are you saying? It is totally professional and legit, not to mention well redacted! From the Computer Sciences page:
At Kings Lake , Computer Sciences majors educate students about computer systems and the way humans and computers interact from a scientific perspective. Instruction includes programming and the theory and design of software. These classes cover languages such as C++ and Java, and introduce you to the precise thinking behind computer programming. Computer science has certainly become a core discipline -- a discipline of study in itself -- and one that continues to grow. However, a rather unique aspect of computer science is that it's not only a very broad discipline, but that it has exceptionally broad application to nearly every other discipline imaginable with extremely broad application. A degree in this discipline will help you launch a successful career.

Not sure, but I think they may be implying the career is broad.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
GAF I'm signing up. I wanna see what happens. I always wanted a PHD in something and now is my chance. What course should I take?

Edit: Called the Toll Free number and got some cheery hold music and got sent to VM.

nampad

Please tell me this isn't true. I just got my Phd from them in video game forum administration to be eligible for being a GAF mod?

What should I do now? Help!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Please tell me this isn't true. I just got my Phd from them in video game forum administration to be eligible for being a GAF mod?

What should I do now? Help!
Request an affidavit certifying your degree that is signed by bish?

Damaniel

Banned
What are you saying? It is totally professional and legit, not to mention well redacted! From the Computer Sciences page:

Not sure, but I think they may be implying the career is broad.

Wow - with a sales pitch like that, I feel like I wasted my time and money getting an obviously inferior CS grad degree from one of those stupid elitist 'accredited' schools. Serves me right, I guess.

I'm guessing that the head 'professor' of their writing department (aka 'some bald scammer guy working out of his mom's basement') wrote the ad copy for that.

norm9

You actually have to do this in two parts- 1) get the fake degree. 2) apply to a company headed by a moron who won't check your credentials. People forget about part two too often.

Top Bottom