• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel: Ivy Bridge GPU to Support 4K Resolutions of up to 4096x4096

Status
Not open for further replies.

androvsky

Corky said:
I thought the geforce 5xx series only supported up to 2560x1600? Or am I missing something here?

I've run a 4k projector from a Geforce 7800. All you need is a dual-link DVI, but the refresh rate is limited (I never had it over 24 Hz).

8192x8192 supported on all GeForces since 8800.
4096x4096 supported on most of GeForces from 7 series and below.
On the other hand, those are slightly unusual display sizes, are you sure you're not referring to the max texture size? 4096x4096 would result in a useless framerate on a dual-link DVI or HDMI output; a newer Display Port would work but I suspect even the 8800 would predate the Display Port version needed.

onQ123 said:
whistle.gif
are there any doubters among us who still don't believe in the great onQ? step forward & bow your heads.

mooninites.jpg

Do it or I'll bow 'em for you!

ok on a serious note why is it that people don't believe that the PS4/Xbox Next will have resolutions above 1080P when Tablets will soon have 2K resolutions.

& when have you ever known Sony to just stay with the tech that's been used for years? Sony wouldn't even come out with a PS4 if it didn't bring a new standard.
Told ya <sigh> Ready for your tin hat?

dr_rus

Corky said:
I thought the geforce 5xx series only supported up to 2560x1600? Or am I missing something here?
The card's outputs may be limited to this resolution because there really is no reason to go higher at the moment. But the chips themselves support much more than that.

androvsky said:
On the other hand, those are slightly unusual display sizes, are you sure you're not referring to the max texture size? 4096x4096 would result in a useless framerate on a dual-link DVI or HDMI output; a newer Display Port would work but I suspect even the 8800 would predate the Display Port version needed.
That's maximum supported framebuffer width x height. Of course you'll be getting a rectangular resolution on your display (4K is actually 4096x3112 or 4096x2160 if you're looking at currently avialable 4K wide displays) but for the hardware in GPU it doesn't matter if it's vertical or horizontal -- it still have to support maximum resolution in either dimension.

Now that I've read more about it though I'm thinking that Intel may have been spoken about 4K video playback on the IB graphics core. And that may be something that non of current AMD/NV GPUs can do...

Theonik

Well looking at the 4k screens shown at CES and the fact that there are 4k projectors and some pro panasonic plasmas out there that support that res I wouldn't find it odd that PS4 might support the resolution for BD playback (4k BD will hit sooner than later imo) and browsing, images etc. For gaming though? I seriously doubt the PS4 will have enough juice to power these resolutions in full gaming environments. Also it is likely that it may be a feature that will be patched in at a later time rather than be there day-1.
Those are my 2 cents.

onQ123

Woody Invincible said:
Yes they will. They won't put out a PS4 that costs more than $399 this time around. It will be using older tech.

Sony will be trying to push their 4K Cameras, Projectors , TVs , Media players & more in the next few years do you really think they would release a PS4 that's not 4K? this will be a console that's going to be around going into the 2020's if it's released in 2013 - 2015

Cipherr

SmokyDave said:
Rabble rabble! That chart! Rabble rabble!

I see no need for this 4K madness yet. Let's get consoles that can handle 1080p first, eh?

Not sure what Ivy Bridge has to do with consoles.

LiquidMetal14 said:
It means little to me. I'm interested to see if I have an upgrade path with my current motherboard though. Would be awesome.

The resolutions we're getting now are good enough. Outside of the enthusiast or theaters, I think 1080 is a good peak.

Disagree, I really like 1440.

androvsky said:
Those are max texture sizes.

22-nm Ivy Bridge to launch in March 2012
SAN FRANCISCO--Intel Corp.’s 22-nm Ivy Bridge CPUs will likely launch in March, one quarter later than originally planned, but well within Intel’s revised timeframe of “Spring 2012.”

The first iterations of Ivy Bridge processors purportedly come in both dual and quad core variants,

Those sources added that the TDP of the dual core models would likely be 35W and 55W while the quad cores would come with TDP ratings of 45W, 65W, and 77W.
Targets include notebooks and tablets! New support for game platforms DirectX 11 support.

Update: Intel is shipping Ivy Bridge Now. Industry still contends we won't see them until March 2012.

22nm low power consumption dual core would work in tablets and some version of a quad core would work in a game console.

Big thing that strikes me is that a Xbox720 or PS4 using some version of this GPU is now possible in 2012. Maybe the rumors have some merit.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29056847&postcount=233

JoeTheBLow said:
Intel are switching their major fab plants to Tri-gate tech, which is a massive shift in processor efficiency.
Sony could never, ever compete in price or tech themselves. CELL is utterly dead.

Intel's roadmap, post Ivy-bridge next year, is some hot shit, and is still being defined.
Sony and MS will wait to see what they can offer once the Tri-gate fabs come online and they start to make graphic processors out of those things.
Sony has SOI or Silicon on Insulator (Silicon Dioxide) to enable low power small gate ICs. Possible at 22nm too but Intel has plans for 14nm which may not be possible for SOI alone.

-Winnie-

How does 4K compare to IMAX resolution? I remember the first time watching The Dark Knight in IMAX, the opening scene looked damn near 3D, way better than any 1080p video I'd seen.

Blackheim

-Winnie- said:
How does 4K compare to IMAX resolution? I remember the first time watching The Dark Knight in IMAX, the opening scene looked damn near 3D, way better than any 1080p video I'd seen.

That would have been 70mm film, as digital projection wasn't widespread at that point...

jeff_rigby said:
sony-4k-projector-2011-10-03-13hed.jpg

Early 2012 the PS3 will support pictures output to a 4K monitor. So yes the PS3 and PS4 consoles will display 4K for MEDIA.

The point of the OP is video playback Media support at 4K not static displays at higher resolutions or Games.

4K Media support is a done deal as far as Sony is concerned. Media in 4K but games at some lower resolution.

Eastman's comments were spot on except for his assumption that the OP was referring to games not Media; the title of the cited article was 4K video support.

Consoles supporting 4K media is now a given so lets stop arguing THIS point.
So Playstation 4 will be 4k res.

So there's no octacore Ivy Bridge coming? I'm still running on an AMD Phenom II X4 965 and skipped Sandy Bridge because I assumed IB will have twice the cores, oh well. Might jump on an Intel CPU anyway.

maniac-kun said:
So Playstation 4 will be 4k res.
Yup, 4K minimum at the release of the PS4 and possibly 8K at the end. Multiple audio channels like 7.1 Dolby Digital to start and the UHD standard or close to it at the end of 20+ audio channels.

Go to the link in my previous site and the Sony F65 camera is a 8K camera that downsamples to 4K. Japan is still targeting 2015 for UHD.

Remember the PS3 and PS4 are more than game consoles, they support display and editing media from Sony cameras. On the Walmart shelf are Sony 3-D cameras and I expect the PS3 will be able to edit 3-D in 2012.

Warm Machine said:
Yeah, we sat at a top level of 728x486 for 50 years. The infrastructure shift to move to 1080p was collossal. When we can confidently move 1080p through a cable to everyone's homes for a decade we might move on to a new resolution. The change is more than just the display, it goes from cameras for content creation through post to editing to delivery.

Decade? Only a decade?

Warm Machine said:
Yeah, we sat at a top level of 728x486 for 50 years. The infrastructure shift to move to 1080p was collossal. When we can confidently move 1080p through a cable to everyone's homes for a decade we might move on to a new resolution. The change is more than just the display, it goes from cameras for content creation through post to editing to delivery.
There is another path to the living room TV.

p1030434.jpg

sony-4k-projector-2011-10-03-13hed.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30764910&postcount=820

1-D_FTW

jeff_rigby said:
22-nm Ivy Bridge to launch in March 2012
Targets include notebooks and tablets! New support for game platforms DirectX 11 support.

Update: Intel is shipping Ivy Bridge Now. Industry still contends we won't see them until March 2012.

22nm low power consumption dual core would work in tablets and some version of a quad core would work in a game console.

Big thing that strikes me is that a Xbox720 or PS4 using some version of this GPU is now possible in 2012. Maybe the rumors have some merit.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29056847&postcount=233

45, 65, and 77 watt TDPs for the 4 cores is pretty sexy.

AzaK

Any chance the Wii U could use these things or are they cutting it too close to when they have to manufacture? Of course, we don't really know when they will release the Wii U anyway.

Datschge

jeff_rigby said:
Are we talking about the same Intel that just replaced its homebrew graphics in the latest Atoms with PowerVR graphics again? Can't imagine it suddenly has graphics that actually can compete besides some special feature like this thread's 4K video playback.

onQ123

AzaK said:
Any chance the Wii U could use these things or are they cutting it too close to when they have to manufacture? Of course, we don't really know when they will release the Wii U anyway.

I think Wii U is using AMD

Datschge said:
Are we talking about the same Intel that just replaced its homebrew graphics in the latest Atoms with PowerVR graphics again? Can't imagine it suddenly has graphics that actually can compete besides some special feature like this thread's 4K video playback.

My impression is that AMD and Intel have been competing for the same desktop market for 30 years with AMD having just a slightly more efficient better design but Intel with better Fab able to make their chips less power hungry. AMD purchased their own Fab but still couldn't compete with Intel Fabs and recently sold their FAB.

AMD released the Bulldozer and Intel had Sandy Bridge, of course the newer AMD Bulldozer is a more efficient design. Now with Ivy bridge it's comparable to AMD's bulldozer but Intel Fab is at 22nm with plans to go to 14nm. That is a game changer making the Intel Ivy bridge very attractive!

With a desktop design at 22nm it's possible to use Intel Ivy Bridge Desktop GPUs in netbooks and Laptops. Intel has the Atom processors designed for handhelds, netbooks and Google TVs but it's a much less powerful line of CPU. Point is that because of the Tri-gate technology and 22nm, Intel top end chips are more efficient and as a result are migrating down to some of the market that normally used Atom chips and Atom Chips at 22nm are also more efficient and multi-CPU design SOC are planned making the ATOM line competitive with the ARM processor which is dominating the low power market because of it's efficient design (AMD Vs Intel (ARM Vs Atom) all over again in the low power market.

Anyway, that's my impression. Intel's Tri-gate FAB technology is giving them a competitive edge in the FAB process. Sony has been using SOI for a more efficient design allowing a smaller die size but even using SOI I think would have problems getting to 22nm as is everyone else from what I have read. That is causing delays which might have impacted the VITA and the reason Samsung was chosen to produce the Vita SOC.

Point is that the next generation Game Console is going to be under pressure to be energy efficient and sell at a reasonable cost and 32nm or less fab was one of the ticks that was required for this.

Other ticks, at least a 4 times increase in performance, the PS4 with 4K resolution minimum and an inexpensive holographic blu-ray drive to allow 4K blu-ray which I think is the next step for Sony. (GE announced a couple months ago a complete ecosystem from manufacturing to player for holographic blu-ray that required very few changes to a blu-ray player thus insuring very little cost increase for the drive.) Tie this to message 172 above!

So it looks like everything is in place for next generation.

Edit: onQ123, myself and others have been predicting the move to 4K media support from Sony for years and have been jumped on and verbally abused for this opinion. There is now PROOF, it's settled....Sony is going to support 4K in the PS3 (as much as is possible, still picture output to start), you think the PS4 won't support 4K?

If you look at what Sony is supporting in their cameras:

Still Image Max Effective Resolution Approx. 16.1 Megapixels
Still Image Size 16:9 12M (4,608 x 2,592) / 2M (1,920 x 1,080) (exceed or equal 4K & 2K native video resolution Standards)
Still Image Size 3:2 No
Still Image Size 4:3 16M (4,608 x 3,456), 10M (3,648 x 2,736), 5M (2,592 x 1,944), VGA (640 x 480)
Panorama Still Image Size 7,152 x 1,080 (248deg) / 4,912 x 1,080 (170deg) / 4,912 x 1,920 (170deg) / 3,424 x 1,920 (119deg)
Sweep Multi Angle Image Size No
Video Format MP4 / MPEG-4 Visual
Add to the above 3-D pictures then look at what the PS3 is going to be able to display and it matches! In fact Sony mentions the PS3 as a platform to view these pictures in their ads. 4K consumer video cameras are coming. When those are released by Sony the PS3 MIGHT support 4k video at 24hz. The Sensor in the above camera specs can do 4K now but the framerate/datatransfer ability for video might not be in this camera. It's coming!

What Intel is doing with 22nm and trigate Sony is doing with the "EXMOR R" cmos sensor for cameras and SXRD Xtal LCD for 4K projection.

https://dealersource.sel.sony.com/dsweb/p/builtin/sony_4k_home_theater.html said:
In just a few years, Sony 4K transformed the movie theater industry. Now, it will transform your home theater experience.
8,800 screens worldwide as of June 1, 2011
6,600 screens in the US—47% are 3D-capable
45% share of US digital screens—nearly as many Sony 4K 3D-capable projectors installed as all others combined
Does 4K make a difference.

compare.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Imp the Dimp said:
So there's no octacore Ivy Bridge coming? I'm still running on an AMD Phenom II X4 965 and skipped Sandy Bridge because I assumed IB will have twice the cores, oh well. Might jump on an Intel CPU anyway.
I don't believe so. Maybe you are thinking of Socket 2011 instead?
jeff_rigby said:
My impression is that AMD and Intel have been competing for the same desktop market for 30 years with AMD having just a slightly more efficient better design but Intel with better Fab able to make their chips less power hungry. AMD purchased their own Fab but still couldn't compete with Intel Fabs and recently sold their FAB.

AMD released the Bulldozer and Intel had Sandy Bridge, of course the newer AMD Bulldozer is a more efficient design. Now with Ivy bridge it's comparable to AMD's bulldozer but Intel Fab is at 22nm with plans to go to 14nm. That is a game changer making the Intel Ivy bridge very attractive!

With a desktop design at 22nm it's possible to use Intel Ivy Bridge Desktop GPUs in netbooks and Laptops. Intel has the Atom processors designed for handhelds, netbooks and Google TVs but it's a much less powerful line of CPU. Point is that because of the Tri-gate technology and 22nm Intel top end chips are more efficient and as a result are migrating down to some of the market that normally used Atom chips and Atom Chips at 22nm are also more efficient and multi-CPU design SOC are planned making the ATOM line competitive with the ARM processor which is dominating the low power market because of it's efficient design (AMD all over again in the low power line Atom line).

Anyway, that's my impression.

Point is that the next generation is going to be under pressure to be energy efficient and sell at a reasonable cost and 32nm or less fab was one of the ticks that was required for this. Other ticks, at least a 4 times increase in performance, the PS4 with 4K resolution minimum and an inexpensive holographic blu-ray drive to allow 4K blu-ray which I think is the next step for Sony. (GE announced a couple months ago a complete ecosystem from manufacturing to player for holographic blu-ray that required very few changes to a blu-ray player thus insuring very little cost increase for the drive.)
Since Intel designed a mobile chip with Sandy Bridge that happened to be fast and clock really well the addition of 22nm and tri-gate is going to be bonkers for power numbers if everything goes smoothly. With Bulldozer and Llano seeming too high in transistor count and being power hungry in comparison to Intel's current and future offerings it looks tough for AMD.

It is a shame since AMD is making good products with the E350 and the Llano on normal consumer machines imo.

Also I heard from a good source we should have another 8 years at least on current chip tech, probably 12nm or even 10nm. Transitioning to multicore is going to be interesting.

jeff_rigby said:
Other ticks, at least a 4 times increase in performance, the PS4 with 4K resolution minimum and an inexpensive holographic blu-ray drive to allow 4K blu-ray which I think is the next step for Sony.

If you really think the PS4 is going to support 4k resolutions and come with a holographic Blu-ray drive, you are going to be REALLY REALLY disappointed next gen.

Shin Johnpv said:
If you really think the PS4 is going to support 4k resolutions and come with a holographic Blu-ray drive, you are going to be REALLY REALLY disappointed next gen.
How else is Sony going to sell you a new tv? People aren't all that interested in 3D, they'll need to create a new hype. Plus the PS3 already supports 4k to display pictures (not video/games yet).

1-D_FTW

runningjoke said:
How else is Sony going to sell you a new tv? People aren't all that interested in 3D, they'll need to create a new hype. Plus the PS3 already supports 4k to display pictures (not video/games yet).

They're selling 1080P tvs just fine with the PS3 not even doing 720P with most games.

4k might be okay for indie games that are low resource, but I doubt the next gen systems will even do 1080P @ 60fps. So, yeah, you can forget that.

The TV business is kind of a crap business anyways. Who knows if Sony will even be interested anymore in 5 years. At some point it's no longer worth the effort. You just have to accept the cheaper companies are more nimble than you and move to higher margin markets.

runningjoke said:

4K Televisions are still quite a few years away from being mass marketable. You're not going to see affordable consumer 4K sets in stores in the next 5 years. 4K will eventually happen, just like 1080p sets eventually happened. It just isn't happening in time to make sense to include it in next gen consoles. It would be akin to expecting the PS2 to have supported 1080p and thinking it was going to be there for every game (yeah I know GT4 has an HD mode).

The expected transition from experts to UHDTV (4k tvs) is estimated to be around 2016 - 2020. With mainstream adoption expected to happen between 2020 - 2025. 4K is still a ways off, let alone 8K.

Shin Johnpv said:
4K Televisions are still quite a few years away from being mass marketable. You're not going to see affordable consumer 4K sets in stores in the next 5 years. 4K will eventually happen, just like 1080p sets eventually happened. It just isn't happening in time to make sense to include it in next gen consoles. It would be akin to expecting the PS2 to have supported 1080p and thinking it was going to be there for every game (yeah I know GT4 has an HD mode).

The expected transition from experts to UHDTV (8k tvs) is estimated to be around 2016 - 2020. With mainstream adoption expected to happen between 2020 - 2025. 4K is still a ways off, let alone 8K.
Then why does the PS3 have 4K resolution ability? Are you saying that the PS4 hardware will be inferior to the PS3 hardware? This doesn't make sense??????

This year Jan 10th or so for CES in Las Vegas a Holigraphic blu-ray drive will probably be announced and shown by several Japanese firms. It will be commercially available by the end of 2012. GE announced the technology and ecosystem that makes it possible several months ago.

4K mass market sales is starting and over the next two years 4K TVs will drop in price to what I call an affordable range. Broadcast 4K in the US forget it. Direct TV will probably support it as they do 3-D on several of their transponder channels. Sporting events and special features but personal pictures and home movies will probably be first for a change.

Sony white paper PDFs on 4K and UHD have concluded that 4K is a doable target for Theater and Home theater Video. If you read the links, down-converting from 4K to 1080P results in between 15-20% better picture. 4K blu-ray down-converted to 1080P or whatever will be the ultimate viewing experience until 4k TVs become affordable. So YES 4k is going to be supported by Sony!

Wasn't Japan going to test the first next generation Super HD broadcasts in 2020?
I kind of feel like this being standard is even further off than that.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Can't we just... you know, stick with 1080p for a while? I rather like how it looks, and I can save money for a while...

4K with how many fps?

If lower that 60, gg... I don't want that anymore. Now that I've seen what 1080p with 120 or 240hz do, going down in the framerate is a no go.

Medalion

Banned
I don't like this new naming convention for resolutions it is getting confusion

1280x720 is 720p
1920x1080 is 1080p

but for some reason an example like 4092x3112 is 4k resolution

1-D_FTW

jeff_rigby said:
Then why does the PS3 have 4K resolution ability? Are you saying that the PS4 hardware will be inferior to the PS3 hardware? This doesn't make sense??????

This year Jan 10th or so for CES in Las Vegas a Holigraphic blu-ray drive will probably be announced and shown by several Japanese firms. It will be commercially available by the end of 2012. GE announced the technology and ecosystem that makes it possible several months ago.

4K mass market sales is starting and over the next two years 4K TVs will drop in price to what I call an affordable range. Broadcast 4K in the US forget it. Direct TV will probably support it as they do 3-D on several of their transponder channels. Sporting events and special features but personal pictures and home movies will probably be first for a change.

Sony white paper PDFs on 4K and UHD have concluded that 4K is a doable target for Theater and Home theater Video. If you read the links, down-converting from 4K to 1080P results in between 15-20% better picture. 4K blu-ray down-converted to 1080P or whatever will be the ultimate viewing experience until 4k TVs become affordable. So YES 4k is going to be supported by Sony!

It may have ability for photographs, but it certainly doesn't have real 4k ability.

How do I know? Because HDMI in it's current hardware form has major limitations. It's bandwidth caps out at 1080P @ 60fps. This is why 3D is limited to 48hz @ 1080P. Because it can't do 1080P @ 120hz. So, yeah, PS3 most definitely can not do 4k in any meaningful and practical way. Photos excluded.

jeff_rigby said:

It doesn't have that ability for games, or media, it's just for images. I wouldn't call that supporting 4K. Just like the PS3 doesn't support 4k for games, neither will the PS4.

Whoppidty dooo. That doesn't mean the PS4 is going to support it. Sony lost a shit ton of money pushing Blu-ray into the PS3, and people still haven't fully accepted it as the main stream. It still hasn't replaced DVDs the way DVDs replaced VHS. Bluray is still trying to become the mass market standard, they're not going to introduce a new media type. Holographic blu-ray drives aren't hitting Mass market consumption, nor will they be pushed for them any time soon.

Dude where are mass market 4K TV sales taking place? I know of some 4K monitors in the 10,000 + range, IE NOT mass market. Where is there a 4K TV for sale RIGHT NOW?

Come on dude the experts and people behind aren't predicting Mass Market 4K TVs till 2016 - 2020. How can you sit here and say in 2 years there will be affordable ones?

Shin Johnpv said:
It doesn't have that ability for games, or media, it's just for images. I wouldn't call that supporting 4K. Just like the PS3 doesn't support 4k for games, neither will the PS4.
Sony is using the Cell & RSX for 4K video editing so yes the PS3 can do 4K still and 4K video limited to 24HZ because of the HDMI chip limitations.

Whoppidty dooo. That doesn't mean the PS4 is going to support it. Sony lost a shit ton of money pushing Blu-ray into the PS3, and people still haven't fully accepted it as the main stream. It still hasn't replaced DVDs the way DVDs replaced VHS. Bluray is still trying to become the mass market standard, they're not going to introduce a new media type. Holographic blu-ray drives aren't hitting Mass market consumption, nor will they be pushed for them any time soon.
Second time and still a serious misunderstanding...read carefully => The GE (General Electric) plastics division created a plastic material that has a high reflective index that allows up to 10 layers using a standard blu-ray laser and blu-ray drive. Only a slight modification is needed to a standard drive. Other PREVIOUS holographic blu-ray drives required a blu-ray laser with much more output which massively increased the cost for the drive. Several months ago GE presented a complete ecosystem from manufacturing to player designs to companies like Sony. GET it, the new drive is supposed to be only a few dollars more expensive that current blu-ray drives. The new disks will each be more expensive causing the first 4K blu-ray movies to be maybe $10 more than current blu-ray movies.

Dude where are mass market 4K TV sales taking place? I know of some 4K monitors in the 10,000 + range, IE NOT mass market. Where is there a 4K TV for sale RIGHT NOW?

Come on dude the experts and people behind aren't predicting Mass Market 4K TVs till 2016 - 2020. How can you sit here and say in 2 years there will be affordable ones?
Prices have already dropped, Sony has a 12 foot 4K projector for $7500. That down from $20,000 last year...see the trend. $3,000 for a 80 inch is probable in 2 years. We are not talking LCD which may never see inexpensive 4K resolutions & large panels. Both Sony's SXRD and TI's DLP can produce relatively inexpensive 4K rear projection TVs.

Imp the Dimp said:

I expected hexacores to possibly debut at the top of the mainstream segment with IB, since it'll be two years following the debut of the 980X. As it turns out though, Sandy Bridge has been tilted towards power efficiency, not that there haven't been some amazing gains in performance.

Besides, there won't even be any octo-core SB-E chips, because they would be unable to fit inside the power envelope and have a decent clock speed or overclocking leeway.

Soi-Fong

Considering game developers are already having trouble to get games running at 60fps at 1080p I don't see this applying to even the most extreme gamers anytime soon.

I'm all for improving tech and such and going forward, but this is way TOO forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom