• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 90's Arcade Racer Kickstarter (from the maker of Sonic Fan Remix)

tetsujin007

Neo Member
Can't wait for this, it'll be all sorts of awesome! Maybe this will prompt SEGA to do SCUD racer/Daytona 2, Model 3 arcade perfect ports in HD! :D

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
99% funded :)

Still no meaningful update though, he's taking too long, it might not reach the stretch goal...

Meaningful update?

How about he's now confirmed the title for the Wii U eShop as well?

Hello everyone,

as I mentioned a while ago this is no longer a one person project, I will be working with Nicalis in order to make this game the best it can be.

Here are few words from them:

Hello!

My name is Tyrone Rodriguez. I’m with Nicalis, Inc. You may or may not have heard of Nicalis, but we’ve worked with other talented developers on games like Cave Story, VVVVVV, NightSky and 1001 Spikes.

We’re working with Anthony on The ‘90s Arcade Racer. Our collaboration will allow him to realize his vision of the game and make sure that he has the necessary Unity programming and design help he needs so that he can concentrate on art and other aspects. On our end, we’ll be working on the Unity programming, physics, tuning and general design and production of the game.

I grew up playing arcade games and the racing genre has always been one of my favorites. I worked for a now-dead magazine called Tips&Tricks when Sega was at the top of its game in terms of hardware and racing games; being part of a magazine where we were supposed to be pros at games, I ended up spending a lot of time playing Virtua Racing, Daytona, Super GT (Scud Race outside the US), Daytona 2 and basically every other Sega racer (even the weird ones like Moto Raider).

For anyone asking about the physics, both Anthony and I know what arcade racers should feel like. I also have experience with racing games and actual track experience; I worked on The Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift (PS2, PSP), designing its drift physics. and have over 100 hours of real-world track time (open-wheel, street and race cars). Anthony and I won’t stop until we get the tuning just right.

Oh, by the way, we’ll be publishing the game on Wii U eShop, too.

kitsuneyo

That Wii U Unity deal starting to pay off. This is looking like a must buy for me.

Did I read wrong or was this a one-man project until Nicalis just came on board? How did one guy make this beautiful looking game?

Alexios

By meaningful update I mean showing more of what's done and detailing more of how it's going to evolve, so no. Everyone had gotten the hint already anyway. Though hopefully it won't be struck by the Nicalis curse.

Alexios

It's also confirmed for android and ios. The KS page has also been updated with some details.

I've updated the main page with the latest news and revised goals, the game now is also being developed for iOS, Android and Wii U!

But nothing much, no word on if you can pick which version to get in the end or if the KS is strictly for PC still etc.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But nothing much, no word on if you can pick which version to get in the end or if the KS is strictly for PC still etc.

It's in the comments, answering to a question regarding the possibility of picking the reward on Wii U:

Creator Pelikan13 about 1 hour ago
@andreadst, I would love to help but unfortunately that is out of our control..

Alexios

Oh I missed that part. What's the Kickstarter money for now? The stretch goal was to hire another guy, dedicated to peogramming, but Nicalis took that up and then some now, so... Is he still going to use it for himself, to stay full time on the project, or is Nicalis also going to do art so he doesn't have to do it all himself or what..? Has he changed those descriptions on the kickstarter page yet? And how much cotrol did Nicalis get if that version stuff is out of his control..? Considering pulling out too...

I'm out, was $15. I'll wait for the Wii U version and then make a decision.

My reservations about the gameplay have been compounded by Nicalis' involvement. Especially after Tyrone's whole "I've raced real cars so I know how it should handle" angle started my alarm bells ringing - this game shouldn't have handling anywhere near realistic.

VariantX

yep, the whole point of the games that this one is to have those wild arcade physics. If I wanted realistic racing, there's forza, gt, the upcoming project cars and a whole list of games I cant even recall right now that would scratch that itch. All the arcade racers of today are all about crashing into stuff rather than the pure racing aspect.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I was looking forward to this, but have been skeptical from the beginning about the controls. You can tell from the video that there isn't any drifting like in SCUD Race. It's always been unclear what type of controls they're going with.

On another note, why the concern over Nicalis? Is there a history there?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I'm out, was $15. I'll wait for the Wii U version and then make a decision.

My reservations about the gameplay have been compounded by Nicalis' involvement. Especially after Tyrone's whole "I've raced real cars so I know how it should handle" angle started my alarm bells ringing - this game shouldn't have handling anywhere near realistic.
I can't even begin to fathom how you think that was his point.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
The guy from Niceles is a former real life race car driver, as well as a developer who worked on the drifting physics for several titles including Need for Speed Tokyo Drift. I'd say he's qualified to work on an arcade racer featuring drifting :)

Putty

Met Antonis Pelekanos and Tyrone Rodriguez @ iDÉAME 2013. They were super nice, we could get to shoot this 8 min interview - live demo in which they show a previously unseen track in real time (hell, you can even see the mouse pointer! lol).

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/54901/Primicia:+el+nuevo+circuito+de+The+90's+Arcade+Racer/

Also, comments on Unity benefits, Wii U motion controls, devs collab and blue skies :)

I've spoken to him a few times regarding helping out on the music which he seemed really keen, but not heard from him for a while now.

CaVaYeRo

I've spoken to him a few times regarding helping out on the music which he seemed really keen, but not heard from him for a while now.

Yeah, after the interview we went like: only thing missing is a cool song!

New track looks pretty good for sure.

Really hoping Nicalis don't sour this.

I really trust them. And it's not that they're hiding they usual delays in the interview :p

Putty

Yeah, after the interview we went like: only thing missing is a cool singed track!

I really trust them. And it's not that they're hiding they usual delays in the interview :p

Well, could make it happen my side. Just need to know what his plans are. I'm busy with many projects currently but this has always intrigued me.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
It's good to hear finally have a tentative release window late 2013 - early 2014. Was anything said about how the cars would handle? Are they going after that drift style in SCUD Race/Super GT?

CaVaYeRo

yeah, I think that's just what they're trying to achieve. And I really think 2013 is feasible too, this guy Antonis would want his first big indie project to be there soon, I guess.

For anyone following '90s Arcade Racer, we did an update today on the Nicalis blog as well as Antonis' Kickstarter page.

Circuit1_Rocks.jpg

Here's the text taken directly from the KS page:

"At this point some of you may feel like we’ve been working on ‘90s Arcade Racer since the ‘90s. That’s not entirely true, while Antonis and I were indeed playing Scud Race (Super GT in the US) and Daytona USA some 20 years--that was just preparation for the game we’re developing now.

Here’s what’s been happening the last couple of months with ‘90s Arcade Racer.

Physics, physics and more physics!

In the 100+ hours I’ve spent on racetracks combined with the thousands of hours logged playing racing video games, there’s something that feels quite counterintuitive to the genre. You would think super realistic racing games would have super accurate and lifelike physics -- but that doesn't necessarily always make a better product. To really give the sensation of speed, gravity, lateral gravity, as a designer you end up removing many functions that make a vehicle simulation “real”, in the theoretical sense. A driving simulator, more often than not feels like a floaty, unresponsive boat. Part of that is because you can’t feel yourself slinking around a bucket seat, you don’t have the sensation of a vehicle’s weight shift between the four corners; there’s an entirely missing dimension in racing games.

Antonis and I are going for a fun and arcade racing feel, we’ve said that from the start. Those two descriptors are equally important to the project. Getting to the balance of an arcade feel while offering a challenging experience and still giving the car some complex real-world behaviors is where our own challenge begins.

Once you start playing a racing game, especially an arcade-style one, terminology like camber, caster, differentials, toe, torque and drivetrain are quickly forgotten. Initially I spent a lot of time trying to get an arcade feel out of a real vehicle simulation. After extensive experimentation what Antonis and I found was that it just wasn’t working.

In this case it’s much easier to build something from zero and create an experience that perfectly recreates the perception and expectation we all have of a typical arcade racer. Version 2.0 of ‘90s Arcade Racer physics is built within the expressed intention of creating a real arcade racing game. What that means is that the game is really feeling like should. The car reacts in a way that is indicative of an arcade racer, it moves and accelerates properly and now we have a really fun grip and drift mechanic within the game. Although it’s been challenging having to build physics from nothing, this has allowed us to really build the vehicles exactly how we want and how they should feel.

I’m pretty confident that we’re very much in the right direction with the physics and you’ll probably agree once you have an opportunity to play it. Antonis has been doing great work on creating the world of ‘90s Arcade Racer. But I’ll let him do that update in the very near future."

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I am really looking forward for this game, but...
can I ask if it is still scheduled for a 2013 release on the Wii U eshop?
It would be great!

I am really looking forward for this game, but...
can I ask if it is still scheduled for a 2013 release on the Wii U eshop?
It would be great!

It's unlikely that it'd be 2013 and more certain for Q1 2014 for a few of reasons.

The development on is going really well. With the momentum we have, Antonis and I don't want to rush its release simply for the sake of getting it out, particularly when everything is coming together.

Second, we already announced Windows, OSX, Linux and Wii U, but we're also interested in other consoles (PS3, PS4, PSV, Xbox One).

Lastly, and related to the above, since we're developing in Unity, we need to wait to hear from Unity and Sony/MS on their collective licensing plans for each console.

It's unlikely that it'd be 2013 and more certain for Q1 2014 for a few of reasons.

The development on is going really well. With the momentum we have, Antonis and I don't want to rush its release simply for the sake of getting it out, particularly when everything is coming together.

Second, we already announced Windows, OSX, Linux and Wii U, but we're also interested in other consoles (PS3, PS4, PSV, Xbox One).

Lastly, and related to the above, since we're developing in Unity, we need to wait to hear from Unity and Sony/MS on their collective licensing plans for each console.

Nice! I backed you with a physical copy, is this for the PC or can we choose which one?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

thank you!
I'll look forward for the Wii U version, hopefully in reeeeally early 2014 ;p

I assume to do with Nicalis's involvement, like how you'd randomly see a Sonic mural in the games that inspired it.

Ah, I see. I haven't been following development of this game at all to know that. But its a pretty cool throwback to games like Daytona USA.

Down for a Vita version as well as Wii U!
The talk of physics reminds me of how perfectly Daytona struck that balance - of course you know what to aim for already!

AmyS

I'd be more than happy to wait until even spring 2014 for this, especially for getting the handling & phyisics just puurrrfect.

Nice! I backed you with a physical copy, is this for the PC or can we choose which one?

Unfortunately, the physical version will be for Windows/OSX/Linux.

I'd be more than happy to wait until even spring 2014 for this, especially for getting the handling & phyisics just puurrrfect.

We're also doing something really great with the soundtrack, which we'll be announcing within the next month or so.

Top Bottom