• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 2 Public Beta email recieved

StuBurns

Banned
acm2000 said:
uncharted, GoW2, banjo, kameo etc, K2 destroys them all in post processing and other effects tho
You're full of shit. Uncharted, NO. The picture above is direct feed and it's certainly not blowing KZ2 away at all.

Gears 2 might have a slight edge, but it's not miles ahead at all.

Banjo isn't even really textured, what there is of real texturing is crap.

banjo-kazooie.jpg

antiloop

Direct-feed pics are so funny.

Take this GoW2 screen for example:
1560_0004.jpg

I mean, what is this shit? On a TV it's like a million times better looking.

acm2000

the only thing stopping me getting K2 atm, is length of single player, will need to wait and find out, since i wont be playing the multi, aslong as it has a decent length campaign, i will be getting it, have they said how long they expect it to be?

StuBurns

Banned
antiloop said:

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9709/1560_0004.jpg[IMG]

I mean, what is this shit? On a TV it's like a million times better looking.[/QUOTE]
You are right, TVs make a big difference. But you can only compare direct feed, because we don't all have the same TVs. And the imagine I used of KZ2 was direct feed.

You can't really use a picture of an off screen photo of a game running on some 3 grand TV, compared with some shitty HD monitor.

[QUOTE=acm2000]the only thing stopping me getting K2 atm, is length of single player, will need to wait and find out, since i wont be playing the multi, aslong as it has a decent length campaign, i will be getting it, have they said how long they expect it to be?[/QUOTE]
It's about 9 hours I believe, plus or minus an hour or so depending on skill and difficulty level. That's utter speculation and rumor though.

Fizzle

acm2000 said:
the only thing stopping me getting K2 atm, is length of single player, will need to wait and find out, since i wont be playing the multi, aslong as it has a decent length campaign, i will be getting it, have they said how long they expect it to be?

Why don't you like multi?

acm2000

stuburns said:
It's about 9 hours I believe, plus or minus an hour or so depending on skill and difficulty level.

9 hours, not too bad, hope theres some variety in environments too tho :s all look the same so far

StuBurns

Banned
acm2000 said:
9 hours, not too bad, hope theres some variety in environments too tho :s all look the same so far
There defiantly is some variety later, in terms of that limited palette they've been using.
I imagine they'll just be injected for effect like in Gears.

Purple.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
"Details filter shader" aside (cant recall the proper term now), GOW2 textures are about the same as KZ2 one as far as resolution goes.

acm2000

Fizzle said:
Why don't you like multi?

i dont do multi, co-op sure, im not competitive enough to enjoy multi lol, tried halo 3, got bored, resistance, got bored, GoW1 i had some fun briefly, before getting annoyed at every quitting during the matches, not tried GoW2, but i do love co-op, GoW1 co-op was amazing, halo 3 co-op was fun too, R6V co-op and thunt ftw

Metalmurphy said:
Banjoo and Gears 2 pics... Yep, it's starting to happen. This thread will turn to shit soon.

the problem is, blind fans of games wont accept any critcism towards them at all, i LOVE GoW1/2 and Bioshock etc, but they all have flaws, and i accept that

stuburns said:
There defiantly is some variety later, in terms of that limited palette they've been using.
I imagine they'll just be injected for effect like in Gears.

Purple.

limited palette doesnt bother me, i love gears lol, just hope they chuck in some variety to make use of that amazing lighting

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
antiloop said:

1560_0004.jpg

I mean, what is this shit? On a TV it's like a million times better looking.
That's an accurate shot, though. I mean, a TV does not magically enhance the image. The difference is, while playing, you rarely stand still and admire random hallways like that. It's all about the bigger picture. Once you start to analyze individual shots things begin to fall apart. If you were to stop and look at that location on your TV in Gears 2 it would look the same (minus compression artifacts).

filopilo

TTP said:
"Details filter shader" aside (cant recall the proper term now), GOW2 textures are about the same as KZ2 one as far as resolution goes.

You're completly right.

Detail texturing :A noise texture is tiled at small scale into the diffuse or normalmap.
It keeps the illusion when camera goes very close.You cannot do that on every material types ,but Gears' material palete is the perfect candidate for that trick.

acm2000

stuburns said:
We have.

He was wrong, couldn't provide a single example that stood up whatsoever.

lol i didnt even look, but KZ2 textures dont look great, im not gonna post pics of other games in here for the exact reason stated by solid above

StuBurns

Banned
acm2000 said:
lol i didnt even look, but KZ2 textures dont look great, im not gonna post pics of other games in here for the exact reason stated by solid above
I posted them, of your examples. And they didn't stand up, you were wrong, thats why you didn't post pics.

roMonster

k79 said:
http://i34.tinypic.com/21ki1rl.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i33.tinypic.com/214s66u.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/34rbqk8.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i36.tinypic.com/2e2m0zs.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/10nvpef.jpg

oh lawd!!!

GAF needs to be incharge of releasing KZ2 screen shots because (honestly) that shames the screens GG have been releasing.

dark10x said:
That's an accurate shot, though. I mean, a TV does not magically enhance the image. The difference is, while playing, you rarely stand still and admire random hallways like that. It's all about the bigger picture. Once you start to analyze individual shots things begin to fall apart. If you were to stop and look at that location on your TV in Gears 2 it would look the same (minus compression artifacts).

to bring it up for the millionth time...this is what I love about crysis...99% of stuff stands up to intense scrutiny...licence the engine people

(also send this engine out damnit)

dark10x

acm2000 said:
I'm not sure why you think the textures are poor. Pretty much every surface is at least as detailed as, say, Gears of War 2. There isn't a lot of obvious tiling, unlike, say, Resistance 2.

Focusing on a specific piece of one of those KZ2 shots, you can see how detailed all of the textures really are.

Look at the ground, for instance. What issues do you see?

killzone-2.jpg

to bring it up for the millionth time...this is what I love about crysis...99% of stuff stands up to intense scrutiny...licence the engine people
Well, the reason it holds up is simply because it takes full advantage of the memory available on the PC.

StuBurns

Banned
nelsonroyale said:

(also send this engine out damnit)
Yeah but the RAM required to make Crysis textures look top are miles ahead of what these consoles can deliver.

antiloop

dark10x said:

On a good TV in motion without compression artifacts. Better? :p

Good thing we enjoy games in motion. Exception being the pixel counters on B3D.

StuBurns

Banned
acm2000 said:
i never said poor -_-
No, you said, "totally average" and "not so good".

And yet there isn't a single console game that does it better.

How can something be average and not good, and still be the best on the platform?
Are you secretly hogging PS4 games or something. What are your standards based on?

Wollan

It's time to neuter acm and Wrikawreck and put them out to pasture.
I personally am not humored reading comments from people slowly tapping their boiling feelings.

snoopers

I am multitalented
dark10x said:
That's an accurate shot, though. I mean, a TV does not magically enhance the image.

It's not an accurate shot, it's a screenshot taken off a compressed video. That's terrible. You don't even see the motion blur on the floor, it looks like a low resolution texture.

danwarb

dark10x said:
Here’s a Gears 2 screenshot minus compression artifacts:

49.png

http://imk.cx/screenshots/xbox360/Gears%20of%20War%202/14.png

WrikaWrek

Banned
Wollan said:
It's time to neuter acm and Wrikawreck and put them out to pasture.
I personally am not humored reading comments from people slowly tapping their boiling feelings.

What did i do?

:lol

I've been giving nothing but praise for KZ2 in this thread. I say i think KZ2 has average textures, as in it isn't doing anything texture wise we haven't seen before(And i didn't even brought up the discussion initially), and you pull that card out of your deck?

Take a chill pill, i know you are sensitive about these games, but let's not go crazy.

StuBurns

Banned
danwarb said:
Here’s a Gears 2 screenshot minus compression artifacts:

http://imk.cx/screenshots/xbox360/Gears%20of%20War%202/49.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Textures are about the same as KZ2. It's pretty far away from any textures though, it's hard to tell. The other pic was good because the door frame was really close to the camera.

[QUOTE=WrikaWrek]I've been giving nothing but praise for KZ2 in this thread. I say i think KZ2 has average textures, as in it isn't doing anything texture wise we haven't seen before(And i didn't even brought up the discussion initially), and you pull that card out of your deck?

Take a chill pill, i know you are sensitive about [I]these[/I] games, but let's not go crazy.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe you think it's average though. It's the best, if not very close to the best texture work on the consoles. It's defiantly true to say it's not pushing anything special in that regard, but they are not the quality of the average PS360 game.

Ceb

WrikaWrek said:
I would say Texture is definitely pretty average in KZ2. But all the blur and lightning more than make up for it.

But you're not in the beta and haven't played the SP at any trade shows (right?). So you're misinformed.

StuBurns

Banned
konrad77 said:
Are we still comparing multiplayer maps from a Beta with campaign shots from a released game? Just checking.
No. The direct feed pic was from the single player, but it was an older picture.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Ceb said:
But you're not in the beta and haven't played the SP at any trade shows (right?). So you're misinformed.

Well i can only tell from what i see, in videos of the beta for example. But yeah, as you put it, i haven't controlled the character on screen so i'm misinformed.

I used to think this was technically the most amazing looking game i've seen on consoles, but you've put it in perspective, i haven't played it, so i'm misinformed on that one too.

dark10x

snoopers said:
It's not an accurate shot, it's a screenshot taken off a compressed video. That's terrible. You don't even see the motion blur on the floor, it looks like a low resolution texture.
I recognized it as motion blur. I still think it represents how the game looks. The textures around the door way, for instance, are something I've noticed throughout the game in various bits dealing with the Locust architecture.

Only issue I have with the beta is that the ISA need to have that blue light on their helmets because other wise there are some balancing issues since you can see the Helghast eyes from a mile away and not the ISA lights. Then everyone just wants to play as ISA. It seems like it can be fixed easily enough though.

WrikaWrek

Banned
stuburns said:
I can't believe you think it's average though. It's the best, if not very close to the best texture work on the consoles. It's defiantly true to say it's not pushing anything special in that regard, but they are not the quality of the average PS360 game.

I chose my words wrong. When i said average, i meant it didn't stand out in comparison to other great looking games.

I didn't mean that it Haze like textures. Sorry. I guess.

Ceb

WrikaWrek said:
Well i can only tell from what i see, in videos of the beta for example. But yeah, as you put it, i haven't controlled the character on screen so i'm misinformed.

I used to think this was technically the most amazing looking game i've seen on consoles, but you've put it in perspective, i haven't played it, so i'm misinformed on that one too.

My point is that you simply can't accurately judge the game's graphical quality from the media that's been made available so far.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Ceb said:
My point is that you simply can't accurately judge the game's graphical quality from the media that's been made available so far.

I completely understand, but everybody does it, everyday so i thought it was fine for me to do it.

Sorry. I guess.

Busty

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Banjoo and Gears 2 pics... Yep, it's starting to happen. This thread will turn to shit soon.

It's a little sad when those fanboys have to try and 'combat' KZ2 with pics from Banjo and Gears2.

Both look great but KZ2 is frankly untouchable thus far on the HD consoles.

As I've said in the past. KZ2 is the only game in recent memory that continually impresses me everytime I see it. Be it in screenshots or GIF form.

Astounding.

WrikaWrek said:
I chose my words wrong. When i said average, i meant it didn't stand out in comparison to other great looking games.

I didn't mean that it Haze like textures. Sorry. I guess.

yeah...around here the word average generally means crap...

Anyway, compared to many other console fps this has better textures... for instance, Halo, resistance, even UT 3 (played it on pc, and was pretty damn unimpressed)

StuBurns

Banned
It's fair to judge it as it is now, the game isn't going to have Heavy Rain style textures when it hits. These pics and videos are pretty much how the textures are going to look, and they look well above average.

Top Bottom