• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge: PS4 to launch in Europe in early 2014, US/JP 2013, more powerful than next Xbox

madmackem

They can kiss uk good bye again then, they cant lag behind the next xbox launch as thats what killed them the last time here, being last out in europe when everyone has generation fatigue could also put the rest of europe up for grabs to ms. Bad move sony.

Dawg

Sucks for EU, it's their strongest market.

Unfortunately, but I don't think Sony is all to blame. Could be shitty EU rules.

pelican

All hearsay. Nothing to get hot and bothered about until we get confirmed dates.

With MS you can guarantee that the US and Europe will get the console this year. The US, and UK are their prime feeding grounds. With Sony I would be slightly surprised if they give MS access to one of their primary markets without any competition.

Derrick01

Banned
Why would they try to "match" 8GB RAM when 4GB of GDDR5 is proven to be >>>> 8GB of DDR3?

Look at how many people even on Gaf have been confused and think 720 > PS4 because 8 > 4. Now think how casuals with 0 tech knowledge will react when MS starts telling them 720 is twice as powerful or some misleading shit like that.

That being said this won't have 8GB of GDDR5 ram. That would be insanity.

Globox_82

Banned
Yeah, Sony will space it out this time.

They won't blow their entire load early like they did with the Vita

the difference is, first party studios are (probably) making games for PS4 while they ignore Vita. Fine by me since I don't care about Vita but it is strange. I think every first party should have smaller team that works on new unigue Ips for Vita. Like MM on tearaway. How many? 14 devs or something like that are working on it.

Korgill

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

This sounds like the same mistake Sony made with the PS3, make a quick reaction to Nintendo and not figure out what Nintendo is trying to do. This sounds awful.

Luthos

I doubt UC will be out at launch. Two ND games in one year doesn't seem likely, especially when the latter is being made on a whole new platform. I expect to see their next game 12 months in

Sounds more likely to me. Still, if I don't get it at launch, a Naughty Dogs game is the one that will usher me in. Be it Uncharted, or something new.

i-Lo

Sucks for EU, it's their strongest market.

Unfortunately, but I don't think Sony is all to blame. Could be shitty EU rules.

Actually that is what it clearly states in the article. The myriad rules and regulations and (personally speaking) language concerns are what have caused the delay for EU (supposedly).

Kouriozan

Missing the holidays season for europe? This is so bad :s
Yes, this is a rant because europe always get things last

The article claims the PS4 will be more powerful than the 720. Are they saying that with the specs we "know of" now, or with their presumption that Sony will match MS's 8GB of RAM?

They essentially said a developer (someone "familiar with both platforms") has told them the PS4 is slightly more powerful.

549579_452720198091763_127180953_n.jpg

Takuya

Banned
No. This was the 2GB to 4GB change.
An increase to 8 sounds like the change will be negligible.

No idea why devs would need this unless its their own laziness in which case they should tell MS to bring 4GB DDR5 and fuck kinect.

We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB

Reading the article, it seems pretty clear that the leaked specs they're referring to are the 8GB DDR3 vs 4GB GDDR5. And that they've learned that Sony is pushing to match that 8GB. They aren't referencing the 2GB specs.

So, this is referring to boosting the RAM (from 4GB GDDR5) to match 8GB DDR3.

I don't believe they will be as supply constrained as they were at the start of this gen. it was a learning experience and one they've hopefully taken some lessons from.
So MS are going to be launching worldwide and magically beating supply constraint issues that have happened to like every console ever? Props to them if they do it.

quest

Not Banned from OT
If Sony can do a WW launch they will. But Sony like everyone else knows the US market is by far the most time sensitive. Sony is pushing hard as possible to hit the holidays in the US. If they miss that might as well delay to fall 2014 in the US and Sony knows this. It sucks for the European gamers but it helps all PS4 users. If they reversed launches and fell way behind in the US it could really hurt the machine.

I can easily live with Europe in Early 2014, as it means that there is a solid launch line-up and that I can look at Japan/US to see what early bird sicknesses this console has.

DieH@rd

Banned
"Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB."

BY JUPITER'S COCK, THIS IS GLORIOUS.

If they are going with the stacked WideIO ram, I supose its possible. 16 512MB chips would be reeeeeaaaaly expensive.

Wow... the share button sounds good and the touchpad could be awesome too. But i hope we dont have to use this thing EVER FUCKING TIME if we open a door or something.

I wonder if the Sixaxis will be included.

aganu

Am I the only one that really loves this?
No. That would be ace if done right.

Sony has already earned an enormous amount of goodwill among studios working with PS4 development hardware.
This is very pleasing to hear, they've been through tough times in the past.

Everything about the article (apart from EU delay) is sogood.gif

Let's do this.

i-Lo

"Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB."

BY JUPITER'S COCK, THIS IS GLORIOUS.

If they are going with the stacked WideIO ram, I supose its possible. 16 512MB chips would be reeeeeaaaaly expensive.

I was wondering about stacking. GDDR5 could be stacked. Else, they would also go with DDR3 I suppose. But that would really hurt the pitcairn GPU.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I really hope they have some dedicated video encoder logic that does nothing but encodes the gameplay video - because otherwise there can't be no performance penalty involved with something like that. Realtime video encoding, especially at HD resolutions is very CPU intensive.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking over Europe again? If they hadn't done that last time, 360 would have sold a lot worse over here. Hope MS realizes this.

Boss Man

The article claims the PS4 will be more powerful than the 720. Are they saying that with the specs we "know of" now, or with their presumption that Sony will match MS's 8GB of RAM?

And, when they say that they will try to match the RAM, will they get rid of their better type of RAM to do so?

Edit: Ah, I see everyone's already talking about this.
I believe the article says that developers have told them directly that it is more powerful.

This is probably just fanfiction, but I'd really like to see Sony identify itself with the LittleBigPlanet/user creativity scene. PSN needs to become a more recognizable community somehow, so that it doesn't just feel like a place to play online for free while everyone is actually talking about Live. If they could pull something off like more personalized online personas (through media sharing, or whatever they can come up with) they might be able to duke it out with Live. I think this is a very important thing for them, because Live has sort of made Xbox the default console for the multiplayer scene, which is extremely important for the "core" mindshare. I think one of Sony's biggest problems this generation, right up there with the launch price, is the fact that Playstation just isn't as identifiable now as Nintendo (novel input, family, first parties) or Xbox (Live, competitive FPS) have become. Playstation can't just mean free online and almost all of the Xbox games but also a handful of first party games (which are too diverse to create an identity, and honestly not quite remarkable enough to catch the attention of the broad crowd).
I think Sony is on the right track at the moment.

I really hope they have some dedicated video encoder logic that does nothing but encodes the gameplay video - because otherwise there can't be no performance penalty involved with something like that. Realtime video encoding, especially at HD resolutions is very CPU intensive.
Huh, now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure that the VGLeaks specs do have this.

Baki

Early 2014 for Europe. Fuck you Sony. Seriosuly, FUCK YOU! Completely unacceptable. I refused to be treated like a 3rd class citizen.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

The VG Leaks reports mention video decoding and encoding logic, separate from the CPU.

The encoding stuff seemed unusual, but makes more sense now...and also if thinking about things like remote play perhaps etc.

I was wondering about stacking. GDDR5 could be stacked. Else, they would also go with DDR3 I suppose. But that would really hurt the pitcairn GPU.

If they can get 8gig DDR4 stacked.. that would be glorious, but super expensive at the start.

Who knows... cost might come down to a point that is cheaper overall instead of 4 g of GDDR5 which won't decrease in cost.

madmackem

All hearsay. Nothing to get hot and bothered about until we get confirmed dates.

With MS you can guarantee that the US and Europe will get the console this year. The US, and UK are their prime feeding grounds. With Sony I would be slightly surprised if they give MS access to one of their primary markets without any competition.

It would be madness pure madness, if any market they could get away with a later release it would be japan seeing as they seem to be moving away from home consoles. Ms isnt silly they will be close to a worldwide launch like 360 so giving ms free run at a full european market and the uk which they kind of have on lock and would again would be a dumb move just when you thought they might have learnt something from this gen.

Binabik15

Sounds like Sony is/was still hoping to get stacked RAM in to double the amount before they start producing it?

PS: As an European I'm not saying Booo-urns.

If we learn, without a doubt, that PS4 is more powerful that MS then I'll be going with Sony day one, without a doubt. I prefer their exclusives over MS already. The only thing that could change that is a ridiculous price, in comparison to MS.

thefro

I'm guessing the recording feature will be built into the amount of RAM/processor output that is allocated to the OS.

Wow... the share button sounds good and the touchpad could be awesome too. But i hope we dont have to use this thing EVER FUCKING TIME if we open a door or something.

Oh shit, actually, some devs might use the share button as an in game reward, which would be a bad thing...

"To proceed, go collect 12 jewels for the gatekeeper OR use the share button"

Top Bottom