• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Killzone Shadow Fall PS Meeting demo used 3GB of RAM & FXAA

androvsky

Obviously a GPU will have more direct improvements

But say they were struggling with the 3GB of space, wouldn't the freedom of the 8GB allow the game to run much more efficiently?

Not really, on a console with 3 GB of RAM, the game would (ideally) be designed for 3 GB of RAM. They might have to reduce the resolution of textures, cut back on environment detail, fewer sounds, fewer characters, and so on to do it, but the performance would be the same. Now that they suddenly have 8 GB of RAM, they can add higher resolution textures and more environment detail, but the game will run pretty much the same. Unless, for example, adding more characters means the CPU has to work harder to run the extra AI.

The reason your PC runs better with more RAM is modern OSs like to pre-load everything into RAM if you have spare. If you run out of RAM, tasks that are in the background get swapped to disk so something else can run, and the process of swapping tasks to and from disk is horribly slow. That's generally not an issue on consoles (I suspect Skyrim PS3 would be an exception).

Sorral

The link to the 1GB trailer.

That player won't run it, so just hit the small downward arrow on the left corner to download it then hit download anyway.

6gCHyjm5gUVBd5KNCc6TIKCcAuZi2.jpg

Edit: Apparently, that player on google drive does run it now. heh

Hawk269

Yes, more memory would also allow them to use more aggressive AA since AA takes up video ram as does resolution. The question still remains is if it was really running at 1080p or not. As you increase resolution, it chews up more ram. I have done some downsampling on my GPU and in Crysis 3, I can get it to almost 4.8gigs of Video Ram used (GTX Titan). That is combination of 4k Resolution and MSAAx8.

Hawk269

One of the other things that the added Ram will give developers is to have more variety in characters (NPC's) etc or in a racing game with traffic having a lot more variety in the traffic. All that takes processing power, but also chews up memory.

Comparing the specs of the GPU and CPU to current available parts on the PC, I am still curious if we will be able to get 1080p/60fps gaming on the new consoles. I really want it, but not sure if it will happen. There is such a difference between true native 1080p vs. scaled 1080p (from 720p) gaming.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yes, more memory would also allow them to use more aggressive AA since AA takes up video ram as does resolution. The question still remains is if it was really running at 1080p or not. As you increase resolution, it chews up more ram. I have done some downsampling on my GPU and in Crysis 3, I can get it to almost 4.8gigs of Video Ram used (GTX Titan). That is combination of 4k Resolution and MSAAx8.

Digital Foundry and both of GG's tech talks have said it's native 1080p.

Hawk269

30fps locked and true 1080p is pretty damn good for launch titles. With optimizations and further learning of the system, I am sure they can get to the magical 1080p/60fps. For me, I would sacrifice some FPS (not below 30 though) for improved image quality and more aggressive AA solutions to give that super nice clean image.

Cannot wait for this and the next Xbox to come out! :)

sunnz

Guerrilla hasn't let me down yet so I'm ready.

KZ3 was a bit of a letdown, it changed little things here and there, but overall it felt too different and lost what made KZ2 so damn good.

But the KZ2 main MP director or something is returning...

R3TRODYCE

KZ3 was a bit of a letdown, it changed little things here and there, but overall it felt too different and lost what made KZ2 so damn good.

But the KZ2 main director or something is returning...

I enjoyed the MP a lot, but I never started the SP since KZ2's SP was pretty bad.

xJavonta

Banned
What a stupid response. Clearly this thread is about the technical merits of showing a game where the game developer believed at the time that they only had 4Gb of memory to work with and maybe 1Gb of that was going to get used for the OS. What they delivered was astonishing and jaw dropping.

Now we can speculate about the technical merits of what the dev will deliver with the additional 4 Gb of memory.

This is not a gameplay thread. Go and discuss gameplay elsewhere.
Must resist avatar quote and tag quote...

But the KZ2 main MP director or something is returning...

You mean Eric Boltjes? He was the MP lead on Killzone 2, he left and came back.

Margalis

Banned
30fps locked and true 1080p is pretty damn good for launch titles. With optimizations and further learning of the system, I am sure they can get to the magical 1080p/60fps.

How often is it that frame rates go up over the course of a console's life-cycle? If anything the opposite seems true.

It's true that as time passes you can optimize, but you'll also come up with new techniques that use more horsepower.

In some ways early gen games are more likely to have high frame rates as they are based on older engines that lack the bells and whistles that will get added down the road.

IMO high frame rates are more a question of priorities than anything else, and I think it's clear that it's just not a priority these days. Even racing games are going for that "60 FPS feel" now.

How much RAM does it take to make an interesting game?

So does that mean that the 2GB cards will be in trouble come next gen?

GDDR5?

Where I come from we call it Jesus RAM.

Just think of all the mirrors we could have!
Posts like these are the worst posts. Poisoning the well and stopping any real conversation about RAM. It was pretty common knowledge before the PS4 reveal that devs were pushing MS and Sony to get 8GB of RAM in order for them to make games that are a substantial leap ahead of the current gen. All signs, let alone common sense and economics, were pointing to Sony and MS not coming close to meeting this request, so when Sony did announce the 8GB of GDDR5 it was a legit shocker and game changer. I don't know how the conversation went from that to all this ranting and raving about how RAM is some contrived, mystical, ethereal, unquantifiable gimmick a la blast processing and that it's completely inconsequential to games being any better looking and running.

The highest LOD for characters in KZ3 was only 10k? Surprising.

More ram is always good. It can lead to more variety in characters and the environment, faster loading, better ai, more advanced ai, better textures.

Poly count on characters has nothing to do with the genre. Gears3 has 14-20 something k characters all the time, even in multiplayer.

More ram does not = more advanced ai. You need a powerful CPU to do that.

hemtae

Posts like these are the worst posts. Poisoning the well and stopping any real conversation about RAM. It was pretty common knowledge before the PS4 reveal that devs were pushing MS and Sony to get 8GB of RAM in order for them to make games that are a substantial leap ahead of the current gen. All signs, let alone common sense and economics, were pointing to Sony and MS not coming close to meeting this request, so when Sony did announce the 8GB of GDDR5 it was a legit shocker and game changer. I don't know how the conversation went from that to all this ranting and raving about how RAM is some contrived, mystical, ethereal, unquantifiable gimmick a la blast processing and that it's completely inconsequential to games being any better looking and running.

I was being serious because I have a 2GB card -_-

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wow, Guerilla managed to accomplish that with only 3 gigs of RAM?

lol, bet Sony's feeling pretty dumb for spending all that money on an extra 5 gigs.

Mentioned this in the other thread, but about the CPU...

I noticed that for the CPU Profile section of their tech presentation, that they were only using 6 threads (workers 0-5, with 0 looking like the main thread). I was just wondering if this means that the PS4 actually reserves 2 CPU cores for the OS instead of 1 core like I've heard mentioned on here. Was that ever confirmed that games would get 7 cores, or was it a rumor?

Wow, Guerilla managed to accomplish that with only 3 gigs of RAM?

lol, bet Sony's feeling pretty dumb for spending all that money on an extra 5 gigs.

well games will be even better looking and can use more effects etc so its not a bad thing to have 5 gigs more :)

PS4 is a beast!

nasos_333

That's kind of nuts. Makes you wonder what else the PS4 can pull off.

Well, that is yet completly unknown

Who would have though for example that xbox 360 that was declared dead graphics hardware wise a few months after its release, would eventually provide a stunning looking Witcher 2 version, Gears 3 and Halo 4

So, if you think about it, is actually nuts x 10000 :)

squidyj

It sounds like they have a lot of really great textures taking up most of that 3gb with no streaming? I would assume that the textures are always resident in memory for whatever level or block of the game you're in? That's interesting.

Yup. It's really running on ~4.5GB, not 3.

And in a real console you'd have to add more for the OS. So in a functioning console Shadowfall would be using 5GB +

lets say OS is an additional 1GB that would leave something like ~2GB to spare.

just complete spitballing nonsense here, but this could give us a clue how much ram might be used on cpu and how much gfx in ps4.

sf is doing a 1.5/3 split. assuming ps4 ends up at 7gb usable, that split is basically 4 2/3 gb for gfx, 2 1/3 gb for cpu.

call it 5gb for gfx. maybe say 6gb. maybe 4, 5, or 6 gb pc gpu's would be "safe" for next gen.

Yup. It's really running on ~4.5GB, not 3.

And in a real console you'd have to add more for the OS. So in a functioning console Shadowfall would be using 5GB +
I remember when most people (including me) said 4 GB would not be ideal but at least 'fine' for at least a couple of years untill it would become a bottleneck for developers.

But looking at how a launchgame already utilises 4,5GB excluding OS overhead, I'm glad Sony went for 8GB DDR5 instead.

Mr Swine

Banned
Not really, on a console with 3 GB of RAM, the game would (ideally) be designed for 3 GB of RAM. They might have to reduce the resolution of textures, cut back on environment detail, fewer sounds, fewer characters, and so on to do it, but the performance would be the same. Now that they suddenly have 8 GB of RAM, they can add higher resolution textures and more environment detail, but the game will run pretty much the same. Unless, for example, adding more characters means the CPU has to work harder to run the extra AI.

The reason your PC runs better with more RAM is modern OSs like to pre-load everything into RAM if you have spare. If you run out of RAM, tasks that are in the background get swapped to disk so something else can run, and the process of swapping tasks to and from disk is horribly slow. That's generally not an issue on consoles (I suspect Skyrim PS3 would be an exception).

Just because you have 8GB of ram doesn't really mean you have the same performance of one with 3GB of ram. Sure you can add more detailed textures, more environment and such but it all depends on the GPU honestly.

More RAM is never a bad thing.

I'm excited to see what is achieved.

And hope it can be launched at a reasonable price. All the power in the world won't mean much if Sony can't put it in homes. Consumers seem to have a much lower price ceiling for dedicated home consoles.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Actually it could if you lowered the heapsize for the texture streaming.

If you cut resolution in half, and cut the size of your non-streaming textures in half, you could bring the GPU memory consumption down to circa 2GB. Cutting the streaming pool (572MB in the demo) wouldn't do much by itself.

spwolf

In their presentation slides, they said they aren't running any low level CPU code. They might be running some large API's right now.

they state it clearly in the slides - 550 MB went for Audio alone.

what kind of api usage do you think takes a lot of ram?

Top Bottom