• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Returned (US) |OT| Je ne parle pas français

Status
Not open for further replies.

GavinUK86

ZDCL4mm.png

WHAT'S IT ABOUT?

Based on the International Emmy-winning French suspense series Les Revenants by Fabrice Gobert, The Returned focuses on a small town that is turned upside down when several local people, who have been long presumed dead suddenly reappear, bringing with them both positive and detrimental consequences. As families are reunited, the lives of those who were left behind are challenged on a physical and emotional level as strange phenomena begin to occur.

WHEN'S IT ON?

Tune in every Monday beginning March 9 on A&E and Netflix in some non-US regions.

THE CAST:

pEy5E4y.png
4RAcXMe.png
Wwy3vXJ.png
0iDhUVg.png
IQpD7Oy.png
dSN0eD1.png
3uRc8de.png
CKBeaGt.png
oKm5BV1.png
4yWQ1Qa.png
w6PF7tA.png
hyRJGAd.png
EXaRT3z.png
D8BPsKh.png
4EOVJCK.png

India Ennenga as Camille Winship: daughter of Jack and Claire, twin sister of Lena, although younger following her "death"

Mark Pellegrino as Jack Winship: father of Camille and Lena, now-separated husband of Claire. Owns the local tavern, Dog Star.

Tandi Wright as Claire Winship: mother of Camille and Lena, now-separated wife of Jack and dating Peter

Sophie Lowe as Lena Winship: daughter of Jack and Claire, twin sister of Camille, although older now following Camille's "death" (Ennenga portrays Lena in flashbacks.)

Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Rowan Blackshaw: now engaged to Tommy and mother of Chloe, she was the girlfriend of the late Simon

Mat Vairo as Simon Moran: former fiancé of Rowan who has returned after ten years

Kevin Alejandro as Sheriff Tommy Solano: the town sheriff, engaged to Rowan

Sandrine Holt as Julie Han: a doctor who takes responsibility for "Victor" after he arrives at her residence

Dylan Kingwell as "Victor": a quiet eight-year-old boy who is taken in by Julie

Agnes Bruckner as Deputy Nikki Banks: the chief deputy with a connection to Julie

Aaron Douglas as Tony Darrow: manager of the Dog Star tavern owned by Jack, older brother of Adam

Jeremy Sisto as Peter Lattimore: a psychologist to a grief support group still grieving over the tragic bus accident four years ago

LINKS

Official Site

Trailer #1

Trailer #2

GavinUK86

http://variety.com/2015/tv/reviews/tv-review-aes-the-returned-1201442298/

“The Returned” is, at least initially, an extremely faithful retelling of “Les Revenants” — much like “Gracepoint,” Fox’s adaptation of the British series “Broadchurch.” Only here, the name of the A&E series is the English translation of the French drama that aired (with subtitles) on SundanceTV. Creepy and mysterious, “The Returned” also has much in common with ABC’s “Resurrection,” both in the theme of the dearly departed returning to walk the earth, and the sort-of dead end (pun intended) into which the premise threatens to lead. Paired with “Bates Motel,” the show does have one practical advantage — bringing this provocative concept to a U.S. audience that doesn’t like to read.

http://www.avclub.com/review/its-walking-undead-returned-looks-good-feels-sligh-216024

Like its walking (un)dead, The Returned looks good, but feels slightly off.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/03/07/the-returned-camille-review

The Returned is a strong English remake of the acclaimed French series Les Revenants. Carleton Cuse and Raelle Tucker have plenty of experience at the helm of similarly toned series, and have strong source material here from which to draw. A strong cast of actors helps bring these characters (sometime "back") to life and there are plenty of small hooks (as well as hints to answers) in the pilot to sustain viewer interest.

GavinUK86

I have this recorded on my DVR. Gonna give it a watch tonight.

I enjoyed it even if it is scene for scene, almost word for word a complete copy of Les Revenants. Episode 6 is apparently where the US version goes a completely different direction to the French one.

El Topo

I enjoyed the pilot. Slow, not too much happens, but I was entertained and I like the premise.

For those from outside the US: It's available on Netflix in many regions.

wildfire

Banned
I enjoyed it even if it is scene for scene, almost word for word a complete copy of Les Revenants. Episode 6 is apparently where the US version goes a completely different direction to the French one.

Well I'll stick around till episode 8 then, The only actor who I don't like is the kid playing Victor. He's unable to exude the same unnerving presence the other kid had.

GavinUK86

Well I'll stick around till episode 8 then, The only actor who I don't like is the kid playing Victor. He's unable to exude the same unnerving presence the other kid had.

Yeah, the French kid was just unnerving, this kid just looks way too happy.

I've yet to watch the French version, but like The Leftovers and Resurrection. So this is up my alley.

I did watch the pilot episode, though, and found it to be mediocre at best. It had a good premise, but was poorly executed, despite looking pretty.

Anyone seen both? I have watched all the french version and loved it, any reason for me to watch this too? Or should I just wait for the next season of the french one?

FDC1

French version had a promising start but took a dive quickly. Perfect exemple of "Lost" syndrome: a great pitch but no idea where to go with it.

Corpsepyre

Banned
This was awful. The original is in a whole different league, and yes, the new American kid fucking sucks.

Also, no Mogwai.

GavinUK86

Anyone seen both? I have watched all the french version and loved it, any reason for me to watch this too? Or should I just wait for the next season of the french one?

It's worth watching just to see how it's handled in comparison.

I did watch the pilot episode, though, and found it to be mediocre at best. It had a good premise, but was poorly executed, despite looking pretty.

French version had a promising start but took a dive quickly. Perfect exemple of "Lost" syndrome: a great pitch but no idea where to go with it.

Completely disagree. Les Revenants is one of the best written and beautifully shot shows I've seen for a while and I watch a lot of TV.

Sober

I think I'd rather watch the original French one first but damn if that cast here isn't pretty stacked.

It's worth watching just to see how it's handled in comparison.

Completely disagree. Les Revenants is one of the best written and beautifully shot shows I've seen for a while and I watch a lot of TV.

I meant the pilot episode of the US version. I still want to see Les Revenants.

faridmon

I honestly thought the french version was rubbish as its started to drag on after halfway point. Too bad, because I thought the first few episode were godly amazing.

Hope this version cleans up the inconsistency in pace and makes it less boring to watch!

Ohhhh, okay, my bad. You should, it's fantastic. Just a shame we're waiting so long for a second season.

I'd like to, and plan to. I just missed the first 2-3 episodes when it aired, so I couldn't PVR it.

If I wasn't so far behind on classic TV, I'd put it near the top of my list.

Erigu

Which is why it's kinda hilarious that Cuse is at the helm.

Les Revenants is one of the best written and beautifully shot shows I've seen for a while and I watch a lot of TV.
One of the best written? Even the second half? Really?

El Topo

Well, first two episodes were pretty decent, although some things were already bothering me. I absolutely love the premise, but I feel as if the actual show (or writing) isn't really good and I'm enjoying this simply because of all the things the show could be, instead of what it is. This show will waste this wonderful premise and amazing cast, but I'll still watch it, I just wish they did something better with it.

El Topo

Really? That's how you end the season? Fuck that. You guys missed nothing.

It's a shame they took this great cast and premise and turned it into something utterly boring.

B.K.

So the show was bad? I watched the first two or three episodes of the series. I would watch the 11:00 repeat after episodes of Better Call Saul, but I haven't watched it in a while. When Bates Motel started back, they quit showing repeats of The Returned. All they show is Bates Motel the rest of the night.

I honestly thought the french version was rubbish as its started to drag on after halfway point. Too bad, because I thought the first few episode were godly amazing.

Hope this version cleans up the inconsistency in pace and makes it less boring to watch!

Agreed. However unless you make a second series merge into the first. Not a chance to make less boring at the end

El Topo

So the show was bad? I watched the first two or three episodes of the series. I would watch the 11:00 repeat after episodes of Better Call Saul, but I haven't watched it in a while. When Bates Motel started back, they quit showing repeats of The Returned. All they show is Bates Motel the rest of the night.

It's not horrible, but it could (and should) have been so much better. I'm not sure how much the original French show is to blame, but the writing is pretty poor at times. The show diverges quite a bit from what I can tell, but it doesn't really improve things.

(Spoilers for the last scene of the season finale)
Lady that died but came back and now can receive messages from the dead whenever it's convenient: "I'm supposed to give you a message. He'll be here soon. When he comes, you need to listen.
Bride:"When who comes?"
<dramatic pause, Ltdbcbanwrmftdwic puts her hand on the bride's stomach>
Ltdbcbanwrmftdwic: "The man whose baby you're carrying."
<Cut to the man whose baby she is carrying as he sees the town flooded...but it's still there. Woosh, vision from the (eminent) future! He starts to run.>

Agreed. However unless you make a second series merge into the first. Not a chance to make less boring at the end

From what I can tell they diverge quite a bit from the original show. Unfortunately that doesn't mean it's necessarily better.

rtcn63

It's effectively a near shot-for-shot remake of the French one, so watching both is somewhat redundant. (At least from the three episodes I watched)

And the ending of the original was nonsense and spectacle. I'm guessing this one is the same?

El Topo

It's effectively a near shot-for-shot remake of the French one, so watching both is somewhat redundant. (At least from the three episodes I watched)

And the ending of the original was nonsense and spectacle. I'm guessing this one is the same?

Judging from Wikipedia the show slowly starts to differ a bit, until it diverges quite a lot around the sixth episode. I'd have to rewatch the past few episodes to remember more.

Ending:
Camille has sex with I-forgot-his-name, he dies. Lena meets Adam in the woods, who looks pretty pissed. Rowan marries, is then given a useless cryptic message by Lucy (see previous post). Simon sees the town getting flooded, due to Helen destroying the dam, but then the town is not flooded ("Woosh! Vision from the future!"). I think Victor is picked up by some investigator from Chicago ("All this has happened before. People came back and then....everyone disappared!!!"), or maybe some random woman that I don't remember.

No Returned flooding the town, demanding the child or something like that. No drama, no spectacle.

GavinUK86

Judging from Wikipedia the show slowly starts to differ a bit, until it diverges quite a lot around the sixth episode. I'd have to rewatch the past few episodes to remember more.

Ending:
Camille has sex with I-forgot-his-name, he dies. Lena meets Adam in the woods, who looks pretty pissed. Rowan marries, is then given a useless cryptic message by Lucy (see previous post). Simon sees the town getting flooded, due to Helen destroying the dam, but then the town is not flooded ("Woosh! Vision from the future!"). I think Victor is picked up by some investigator from Chicago ("All this has happened before. People came back and then....everyone disappared!!!"), or maybe some random woman that I don't remember.

No Returned flooding the town, demanding the child or something like that. No drama, no spectacle.

Nah it was pretty much just an English version of the French original. Really disappointing stuff.

The original ended with the town getting flooded, this did... kinda. I guess they altered that but it still hit the same beats as the original the entire way through the season. Characters may of did a couple things different but it still ended up similar.

All the talk pre-air of how it differs wildly come episode 6 was a load of shit. I guess they said that to stop people just going "ugh, it's just a remake of the French one" which is what it pretty much turned out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom