• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Les Revenants / The Returned - the best French fantasy/drama you'll watch this month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshicus

LesRevenants.jpg

(Wiki Link)

What is it?
The Returned (Les Revenants) is a television drama series created by Fabrice Gobert for Canal+ in France and BeTV in Belgium. Eight episodes have been produced so far, and Season 2 is to air in 2014. Season 1 is currently airing on Channel 4 in the UK, Sundays at 21:00.

What's it about?
From wiki:
"In a small mountain town the dead begin to re-appear apparently alive and well. Teenagers Simon and Camille, "Victor", a small boy who was murdered by burglars and Serge, a serial killer. They try to resume their lives as strange phenomena occur: recurring power outages, the water level of the dam mysteriously lowering, and strange marks appearing on the bodies of the living and the dead."

Who's in it?
(Spoilers perhaps?)
  • Anne Consigny as Claire, mother to Camille and Lena. She separated from her husband Jérôme shortly after Camille's death and later began seeing Pierre.
  • Yara Pilartz as Camille, a fifteen-year-old girl who died in a bus accident four years ago before reappearing in the present.
  • Jenna Thiam as Lena, Camille's twin sister now four years older than her sister.
  • Frédéric Pierrot as Jérôme, the twins' father.
  • Jean-François Sivadier as Pierre, Claire's partner. A religious man who runs the local Helping Hand shelter.
    He has begun to stockpile food and firearms in the belief that the Revenants are a sign of the end of days.
  • Clotilde Hesme as Adèle, a young mother who was due to marry Simon before his death ten years ago and who subsequently gave birth to their daughter Chloé. She began a relationship with Thomas, and is soon due to marry him.
  • Pierre Perrier as Simon, a young man who was to marry Adèle before his death ten years ago.
    Though he was told he committed suicide he has his doubts as he has been unable to remember his mental state leading up to his death.
  • Samir Guesmi as Thomas, captain of the local police department and partner of Adèle.
  • Céline Sallette as Julie, a nurse who was attacked by serial killer Serge seven years ago but who managed to survive. She was once Laure's partner, but the attack drove them apart and they have remained distant ever since. She becomes protective over the boy that follows her home and places his trust in her, and names him Victor.
  • Alix Poisson as Laure, a police officer and Julie's former partner.
  • Swann Nambotin as "Victor", a boy that reappears and follows Julie
    believing her to be the "fairy" his mother spoke of that would look out for him if she were gone. His real name is Louis and he was killed thirty years ago by one of two intruders who also killed the rest of his family. He later discovered the other intruder was Pierre. On the day of the bus accident the driver swerved to avoid Victor who was standing in the road. Victor has the ability to make others see visions including the manner of someone else's death.
  • Laetitia de Fombelle as Madame Costa, who died thirty years ago though she refuses to say how.
    Her reappearance causes her husband to commit suicide.
  • Guillaume Gouix as Serge, a serial killer responsible for the murder of several women whose modus operandi included eating the internal organs of those victims he stabbed.
    He was killed seven years ago when his brother Toni decided to put an end to any more killing by knocking his brother out and burying him alive.
  • Grégory Gadebois as Toni, Serge's brother.
  • Ana Girardot as Lucy Clarsen, a waitress.
    She arrived in town a year before the start of the series and claims the unusual ability to see the deceased friends or relatives of people she has sex with. At the start of the series she is stabbed by a revived Serge and dies, but becomes a Revenant herself when she begins to heal miraculously. She gradually begins to understand the true nature of the Revenants, eventually becoming their leader.

Gawge

I had a look for a thread about this last night, but couldn't find one.

I really enjoyed the episode last night, the stories are pretty interesting and the whole show has a really good atmosphere about it. It also helps me feel like a pretentious douche, watching a show with subtitles etc... haha

Walshicus

I had a look for a thread about this last night, but couldn't find one.

I really enjoyed the episode last night, the stories are pretty interesting and the whole show has a really good atmosphere about it. It also helps me feel like a pretentious douche, watching a show with subtitles etc... haha

My wife had been looking forward to it for a while. We were both expecting it to be an English adaptation though, and were pleasantly surprised it was the French original! Channel 4 deciding to air French language adverts with subtitles was a nice touch.

Clevinger

I've been meaning to watch this for a while now. I watched the first half of the first ep with Spanish subtitles (no English that I could find) and what I saw seemed really good.

I wish it was coming to the US, but I doubt it. It's funny, they're making a show here that sounds, uh, more than a little inspired by it.

0MMr5zZ.jpg

The series asks the provocative question, "What happens when the people you have mourned and buried suddenly appear on your doorstep as if not a day's gone by? The lives of the people of Arcadia are forever changed when their deceased loved ones return."

Timbuktu

You did it, just as you promised last night! Thanks OP.

My feeling wasn't that Mr Costa has killed his wife years ago or that all the returned were wrong and is back for any particular purpose. My inkling is that Mr Costa was the one responsible for bring them back, the photographs had something to do with it and were of the people he brought back. He killed himself perhaps because he couldn't believe it actually happened and think sits finest nature. With him gone and his place burnt down, the only one who knows what's going on is dead dead, which prolongs the mystery. Maybe he is related to the little boy, I have no idea what he is. The girl murdered under the tunnel, who presumably will come back, is also a big question mark.

Really enjoyed it, reminded me of the Twin Peaks pilot and the more recent Broadchurch as well. I've heard Alan Wake mentioned a lot as well.

edit: Reading those character descriptions throws throws my theories out of window. I am quite happy to have gone into it last night know pretty much nothing apart from seeing the ads onces or twice. Finding out gradually who is who is quite nice, so for anyone catching up you might not want to read the character synopsis.

edit 2: should have guessed that the US is already remaking/stealing the idea. Good luck stretching 8 episodes to full network season though.

Clevinger

By the way, if you mention that Mogwai did the OST in the OP more people might check it out. That's why I did at least.

Bossun

French here and didn't hear about it.

I'll look into it. The synopsis made me think of the manga "shiki"

Timbuktu

Well, that was good. Getting into a rhythm now and for a short series it feels perfectly paced. It takes a bit of a leap of faith at points, I would expect people to have bigger reactions of people came back from the dead, but that is something I can buy into in the world the series is building. Feels a bit Six Feet Under sometimes. Still have no idea what's up with the boy, he weirds me out.

A bit confused about this supposed American 'remake' though. So it was actually called 'The Returned' before being changed to 'Resurrection'; has the same concept but has nothibg to do with the French film/series and is based on a book that isn't even published yet?

Sane_Man

Just finished the first season. Really awesome show. It's like a less Hollywood version of Lost. Spoilers ahead for the whole season:

Even at the end I still really don't have much of a fucking clue what's going on. The town seems to be some kind of purgatory, with the 'others' seemingly headed on to heaven or something. All of the dead people seem to have some kind of unfinished business too, which gives a motive for their return.

I'm thinking Camille/Lena's Dad was the masked man who shot Victor too. There's something definitely up with him and his meeting in the last episode with the Helping Hands guy was shifty.

Can't wait for season 2 but it's miles off...

tmarques

The series asks the provocative question, "What happens when the OT you have mourned and buried suddenly appear on your frontpage as if not a day's gone by? The lives of the users of NeoGAF are forever changed when their banned loved ones return."

Series 2 teaser:
http://www.canalplus.fr/c-series/c-les-revenants/pid7834-videos.html
Victor isn't so cute three years older :(
;
6 months later in-universe.

FALL?

Jesus, I was hoping it would air in the Spring. They'd better wrap this up nicely, I'm not waiting until 2020 for the 3rd season.

Savitar

Saw a movie called The Returned that had this basic premise.

Wasn't great, wasn't bad. They were a bit heavy handed with what they were trying to tell.

Saw a movie called The Returned that had this basic premise.

Wasn't great, wasn't bad. They were a bit heavy handed with what they were trying to tell.
The series is another take on the premise of the movie, the name isn't a coincidence.
I liked the premise of the movie and was fairly disappointed with the movie itself, so seeing the show existed and was pretty good was a pleasant surprise.

I'm curious to see how season 2 will turn out, I wish they'd get Carrere back on board with the writing as he's a great writer. In his latest book, he mentions how he kind of messed up by leaving writing duties halfway through the series' development and wishes he could mend these fences.

Wow, it feels like forever since Season 1. Can't believe we're still so far from S2.

Maybe I'll check it out ... I thought S1 started strong but fell off quickly in the second half of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom