• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF "Let's Watch Anime" OT#3: Now Watching: Sunday Without God (9/1-9/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

The Goal of the "Let's Watch Anime" thread is to bring together the anime community (even "casuals") to watch a lesser known anime series to discuss and share our reactions towards it at the same time. We will have a new show selected to watch every two weeks and the genre will very greatly. The shows that will be selected will have met the below criteria:

- Any genre
- Lesser known titles (Not SAO, One Piece, Gintama, etc)
- Under 14 episodes total (if enough interest can expand)
- Not already aired on Toonami/Adult Swim
- The shows should try to avoid outrageous and/or sexually offensive themes
- Shows can be underrated and good, or could be trash; let's find out together
- Recommendations are always accepted
- Let's have FUN with this together! Please participate in the review and discussion.

Next up:
Sunday Without God (Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi)

owqgn4nof1sgk.png

tumblr_mwf6w1IOvw1rydwbvo1_500.gif

tumblr_mvam8zzjs91rfx24fo1_500.gif

OP Song: https://youtu.be/S7XjBAY49XU

Synopsis/Plot:

The story is set in a fictional world, where, fifteen years earlier, human beings lost the ability to have children and to truly die. Those who have died continue to exist, regardless of injury and decay. According to legend, God abandoned his creations, but left them one final gift in the form of "gravekeepers," strange individuals with the ability to give rest to the living dead. Twelve-year-old Ai is one such gravekeeper. She has prepared 47 graves for the eventual deaths of every member of the village.
Her life changes forever when an immortal gunslinger named Hampnie Hambart massacres the residents of her small village. With no place to go, Ai is forced to rely on Hampnie, and she comes to learn the truth about him and her village. Afterwards, she sets out on a journey, performing her duties as a gravekeeper and striving to learn more about why the world has fallen into such a state, and she declares her desire to save the world God has abandoned.

Episodes: 12
Rating: R - 17+ (violence & profanity)

Genres:
Mystery, Fantasy

Additional information on the anime and characters from MAL:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/16009/Kamisama_no_Inai_Nichiyoubi

Available on Crunchyroll & Hulu:

Check out what I'm watching on Crunchyroll!:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/sunday-wi...gn=socialshare

Sunday Without God on Hulu:
http://hulu.com/s/ekt

Episodes are set for viewing One a day over the two week span, so we can try to stay together.

Open Episodes: ALL:

Episode 12 opens:
12 12:00am pst

tumblr_ms0oofULXy1rlh2ako1_500.gif

Previous “Let’s Watch Anime” sessions:
#1- Humanity Has Declined:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1090173
#2- Eccentric Family:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1097748

*Required ToS Footnote and reminder:
Please see the warning on page 1 of the Anime OT, that still applies here. It's simple; Don't talk about it or promote it...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1073417
Mod Note:
This has been happening frequently enough lately that I just wanted to throw out a friendly reminder: solicitation, discussion, and linking of pirated material is prohibited. This includes illegal streams, torrents, aggregators, fansub & sub group discussion, links to websites containing entire anime soundtrack albums magically for free, etc. Use common sense here. Discussion of legal, ethical, and economic implications of piracy is okay.
Basically, the section on piracy & copyrighted material in the Terms of Service applies to anime as well.

hat_hair

I had already seen the previous shows, but I'll try and get in on this one. The first episode didn't grab me first time around, but I keep hearing positive things.

Cornbread78

Really? I'm quite fond of it actually, I'd say we need more!

Anyhow, is there any backstory to this show? I've never heard about it, is it going to be good?

It's right in the OP:

Synopsis/Plot:

The story is set in a fictional world, where, fifteen years earlier, human beings lost the ability to have children and to truly die. Those who have died continue to exist, regardless of injury and decay. According to legend, God abandoned his creations, but left them one final gift in the form of "gravekeepers," strange individuals with the ability to give rest to the living dead. Twelve-year-old Ai is one such gravekeeper. She has prepared 47 graves for the eventual deaths of every member of the village.
Her life changes forever when an immortal gunslinger named Hampnie Hambart massacres the residents of her small village. With no place to go, Ai is forced to rely on Hampnie, and she comes to learn the truth about him and her village. Afterwards, she sets out on a journey, performing her duties as a gravekeeper and striving to learn more about why the world has fallen into such a state, and she declares her desire to save the world God has abandoned.

I heard is was good, but not amazing. About on par for stuff that isn't 100% mainstream. That plot sounds awesome though..

It's right in the OP:

Synopsis/Plot:

I heard is was good, but not amazing. About on par for stuff that isn't 100% mainstream. That plot sounds awesome though..

I was more talking about some trivia about the show but yeah, the premise seems interesting to say the least.
Anyway, as long as it's decent I'm going to have a fun time, I'm stoked!

Ronin Ray

I remember thinking this show wasn't interesting anymore after
Hampnie Hambart dies
I watched 4 or 5 episodes. Maybe I will give it another chance

max_505

Wasn't able to join the previous one since I discovered the thread way too late and I watched The Eccentric Family already. Gonna join in for this one, though!

Line_HTX

Yup, lol. I put the dates right in the title for everyone.

Yeah, I has that spoiled for me while doing image searches for the OT. Actually made it more interesting for me, lol.

A spoiler made it more interesting? That's something you don't come across every series, haha

Ronin Ray

Yup, lol. I put the dates right in the title for everyone.

Yeah, I has that spoiled for me while doing image searches for the OT. Actually made it more interesting for me, lol.

hahaha I can see that. I didn't know it was only 12 episodes. I might as well go back and finish it.

Cornbread78

Wasn't able to join the previous one since I discovered the thread way too late and I watched The Eccentric Family already. Gonna join in for this one, though!

Very nice, enjoy it and feel free to chat it up, even if you hate or love it, lol.

A spoiler made it more interesting? That's something you don't come across every series, haha

Yeah, I was like "what, wait, how the...." Yeah, should be interesting what they do with the story.

hahaha I can see that. I didn't know it was only 12 episodes. I might as well go back and finish it.

That's the spirit, see it through with the rest of us, lol.

i hope this show can keep my attention better than the last, i have internet for the first time in days and when i started ep 8 and crunchyroll crashed at 10 minutes i just didn't bother again. thus show looks good though

Cornbread78

i hope this show can keep my attention better than the last, i have internet for the first time in days and when i started ep 8 and crunchyroll crashed at 10 minutes i just didn't bother again. thus show looks good though

Episode 9-End of Eccentric family are REALLY, REALLY good. If you find the time, it's worth it to run back and watch those last few episodes.

Linkark07

Banned

Start was slow but later the anime gets good. I'd suggest continue watching it.

kierwynn

I'm in- I've already seen it, but I found the premise interesting enough I could do to watch it again. We'll see if watching it a second time changes my opinion on some things or not.

Cornbread78

How I wish they replaced Flash for HTML5.

Same issue for me, although it also happens sometimes while watching in my Vita or PS3.

That's weird. I watch mostly on my Vita and I only have problems if I get disconnected from PSN. Well, let me take that back, it freezes a lot for me if I am on a weaker wifi signal as well...

dluu13

How I wish they replaced Flash for HTML5.

Same issue for me, although it also happens sometimes while watching in my Vita or PS3.

For me, it crashed a lot at those markers on the playback bar. Even a refresh of the page wouldn't work. I'd have to restart my browser.

Linkark07

Banned
That's weird. I watch mostly on my Vita and I only have problems if I get disconnected from PSN. Well, let me take that back, it freezes a lot for me if I am on a weaker wifi signal as well...

Same about freezing, if somebody is downloading especially.

As for the crashing, it is extremely rare.

Line_HTX

Okay, looks like I wasn't alone in experiencing freezing every time I load up the news section of Crunchyroll or having the entire browser crash while trying to watch something.

HTML5 only or RIOT!

Mailbox

Oh no no no no, that picture was a mistake, lol.

Really? I'm quite fond of it actually, I'd say we need more!

Anyhow, is there any backstory to this show? I've never heard about it, is it going to be good?

I feel like that picture will haunt me for years to come.
I should have never made it :S

Anyway, I'll be joining in (begrudgingly)
I'm already halfway through, I honestly liked the second arc more than the first because there were a lot less problems with intercharacter expression than in the first arc.

Each arc seems to be a very enclosed story, so i'll wait until more people catch up to episode 6 and then i'll watch more.

John Blade

I guess I will join in and watch this show as I need something to counter balance my current watch of Ghost Stories.

Cornbread78

I feel like that picture will haunt me for years to come.
I should have never made it :S

Anyway, I'll be joining in (begrudgingly)
I'm already halfway through, I honestly liked the second arc more than the first because there were a lot less problems with intercharacter expression than in the first arc.

Each arc seems to be a very enclosed story, so i'll wait until more people catch up to episode 6 and then i'll watch more.

Lol, it's just a picture, so no worries; she's cute in her own NeoGAF kinda way, lol.

I'm glad you're join in though.

Mailbox

Lol, it's just a picture, so no worries; she's cute in her own NeoGAF kinda way, lol.

I'm glad you're join in though.

Lol.

Glad to be joining. I didn't join last time for the eccentric family even though it was on my backlog an i kinda regret that.

Cornbread78

Wow, that was not what I expected for a 1st episode. Even reading the synopsis I didn't expect that, lol. This show is going to get interesting I can see....

JulianImp

Episode 1

Looks like the show's off to a running start with this episode. The brisk pacing made things interesting throughout the whole episode while managing to shed some light on what's going on, and Ai being confronted with her whole life possibly being a miserable pile of lies at the end was okay. I also love the moody lighting, especially on evening shots.

Now that the show has played the Doomed Hometown card, Ai has no choice but to follow the guy who killed everybody she knew for some as-of-yet unknown reason. Young and gullible protagonists aren't my favorite kind though, but I guess it could work out since it looks like the aim of this episode was to call her out for being so naive and never questioning what adults said.

I think the burial scene could've used a bit more sentimentality, since it was the scene where she was forced to bury once and for all every single person she had ever known after some strange guy walked into their village and killed them all. In contrast to that, the scene where she was trying hard to deny what the killer was saying about her being set-up by the whole village was nice, with the heavy vignetting showing up as she tried her best to cling to what she believed in... however, she didn't look all that upset or distressed right afterwards, which was a bit weird.

max_505

Ok first episode for me. Didn't expect this to have a bit of humor but I'm all for laughs so that's fine.

Episode 1

I dont really have a idea what I just watched, I think I'll have to wait and see more episodes before I can actually say something about the narrative of the show, it's all over the place though, for better or for worse.

I do want to say that I feel like most of the scenes are well done, the show looks pretty and I feel like the dynamic direction of some of the shots makes everything more impactful.

-----------------------------------

So I looked around a bit and saw that there's some 13th episode OVA of the show, is it mandatory to watch? I don't think it's on Crunchyroll, could anyone share some insight?

Yomidi

Episode 1
So first we have all the recent talk with Shovel Knight, then there's the shovel girl in School Live and now I'm watching another anime with a shovel girl. Why's everyone obsessed with shovels?

Didn't like this up until the last 5 minutes. The humor was weird and not really funny and the main character was pretty annoying.
But it got better with the last five minute, it got pretty dark. Now we have to see if the rest of the show is like those last minutes or is lame like the first minutes.
But I have to say, I reeeeally don't like the design of the female characters, especially the main protagonist(the design of the other girls in the OP/ED look pretty bad). It kinda reminds me of Key designs, which I really despise.
I guess I will join in and watch this show as I need something to counter balance my current watch of Ghost Stories.

You know, Ghost Stories would be a good choice for a future "Let's Watch" lol(I'm obviously talking about the dub)

John Blade

Episode 1
You know, Ghost Stories would be a good choice for a future "Let's Watch" lol(I'm obviously talking about the dub)

It's over the 14 episodes limited and they isn't an official way to watch this show streaming as of now. Lastly, the hype of this show is maybe a bit too much from what I am in right now. I will post my impression of Ghost Stories later this month.

Episode 1

Well the character designs are way more cutesy than I expected from the plot summary and my glance at the poster in the OP. The humor was also not that great. Not really feeling the show yet, but I imagine it will improve.

Russ T

Banned
Episode 1

I don't think I like this. D:

Really not feeling the main character at all. I think I get silver-hair's motivations, even though it's never clearly stated.

Why does little girl never actually try to get a clear answer from silver-hair about why he did what he did?? I mean, like I said, I think I've figured it out (it's not hard), but what's wrong with her?! I know, she's only 12.

I really don't like the female faces in this show. It's the kind of overly-cute look that I've always hated in anime. I'm capable of tolerating it for a good show, though, so here's hoping it's just episode one that's boring. D: D:

JulianImp

Episode 2

We got some more world building, a new character and a single comedy scene. Things are a bit slow so far after how fast everything happened in EP1, but I don't mind all that much since the story's just getting started anyway. I'm also loving the plethora of sunset scenes this show has, bloom and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom