• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Sony struggling to reach the next step ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel_DvA

The PS4 is crushing the competition worldwide and the press + average players are more favorable to Sony this gen but Sony is just standing there without doing anything to fix their flaws, it's mind blowing that such a popular product still has problems from last gen or basic ones. I'm speaking mostly about weak online service, bad customer service, no full HDD support, still no online notification, UI updates or UI improvement are almost non existent, scheduled maintenance etc.. damn, it's 2015 and it's still impossible to change our gamertag or showing offline status to other users...

I've seen so many lists of interesting features ( like personalized UI with folders, pinning, favorites or else) asked by the community for months that it's still unbelievable that those top requests aren't still released today, who's in charge of updates development ? why the team is struggling so much to bring something else than stability ? are Japan teams too small to work quickly ? Is the communication between the users and Sony is that bad ? Does Sony even care ? When I see all the work Microsoft teams have done on the Xbox One in such a little amount of time, I'm asking myself why Sony can't do something similar because yes Sony is a software company too.

I'm also worried about what Sony is doing with their AAA games, sure they gonna release Uncharted, GT and GOW but The Order was a missed, Knack was bad, DriveClub is a looker but a bland racing game, Killzone SF was a letdown and Infamous was a very rushed game, I admit that I'm glad Bloodborne and Until dawn raise the greatness we are waiting for and from what come next, Horizon seems to be the game I'm waiting the most, a great looking RPG who look fresh with a good background and Sony really need it in my opinion but what after this ? What's next for Sony ? I don't really know.

What is the most disappointing thing to me it's the fact that Killzone has an amazing background, an amazing art direction but the stories of the game, gameplay and level design are terrible, it's an ok series that really can be something else with a nice reboot and a team that care enough to make Killzone a better product ( like Guerrilla Cambridge for example ; ) ? ) as good as top shooters like halo/COD/Battlefield etc... and it's the same for Knack, The Order and many other IP that die to an unnecessary death like Whipeout, Syphon filter, Crash, Spyro, medievil etc... they really have the potential to be better than what we have seen from them for now and I really hope Sony is looking at them with the same potential as many people ( I hope ) do.

Sony has everything to be even greater than what they are today, they have the studios, the IPs ( some new, some old, some dead ) they have diversity, they have almost everything but it's like Sony is doing what Microsoft was doing last gen, having third party deal and exclusive content ( Yoohoo ) when they could have so much more, I really wish Sony would stop standing there and really work on improving their UI, improving their network service, their update releases, listening more about what the community asked for, bringing old IPs that still have potential today and make some of their mediocre IPs better games, I wish they could do what Microsoft is doing right now, being #4theplayers.

What do you guys think about it ?

MavFan619

Banned
I upgraded to the new beta of the Xbox One dash and now half my media apps don't work. The next step hashtag 4 the players isn't all that great of a place so far :/

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I quite like the UI. It does exactly what it needs to do.

As for the comments about their first party output: Opinions.

Steel

Banned
On the OS side of things, they don't seem to have their priorities straight. They've been adding all this social media-like stuff when I doubt the majority of people even care about it, and even those that care would probably rather have things like a better working online, the ability to appear offline, ps1-2 backwards compatibility, etc.

mejin

I wish they could do what Microsoft is doing right now, being #4theplayers.

You really think Microsoft is doing better than Sony?

On the OS side of things, they don't seem to have their priorities straight. They've been adding all this social media-like stuff when I doubt the majority of people even care about it, and even those that care would probably rather have things like a better working online, the ability to appear offline, ps1-2 backwards compatibility, etc.
This.

Also I think the UI is nice and snappy.

sora87

The UI is fine for me, and the online works fine for the most part so I can't say I'm too fussed about most of the things you brought up.
They do need to add two-step auth though.

Exclusives on both the PS4 and X1 have both been hit or miss the first year or two, as it normally is with the start of gens.

That's pretty cringe.

Angel_DvA

I upgraded to the new beta of the Xbox One dash and now half my media apps don't work. The next step hashtag 4 the players isn't all that great of a place so far :/

Yeah and that's why it's called a beta, for testing things... Microsoft has warned us about Apps that would have some issues, no one forced you to subscribed to the New Experience so early and even if the new interface has bugs, it's a crazy improvement over the current UI.

Microsoft release almost daily updates to it, it will improve pretty soon.

The only thing that is frustrating to me is the lack of folders. It makes absolutely no sense. Why can my 3DS, cell phone, Vita and Wii U all do it but not the more powerful PS4?

Klossen

Banned
I don't really think Microsoft is the ideal example for Sony to look at here when it comes to services, Sony should take a look at Steam and see what Valve is doing right there. Feels like Sony took PSN in the opposite direction of what they should've taken; One snappy, customizable, consistent and above all, free. Also, no NTFS support? What year is it?

Scaling back first party output and relying on third party partnerships is simply good business. Sometimes Sony created too much first party content for their own good. I mean, you say stuff like the Order or Knack were "unneccesrily" killed, which in itself is questionable considering those games weren't exactly well received critically or commercially, but under most other publishers a game like The Order wouldn't even exist. Who else would hand a handheld developer a massive budget to work on a new AAA console IP? People also constantly whine for stuff like SOCOM and Syphon Filter to come back, as if sinking money into the already crowded military shooter market isn't a recipe for disaster. Sony already took the next step. A lot of what we are seeing with the PS4, things you point out, are responses to mistakes made with the ps3. Obviously there is still a ways to go but they are on a much better trajectory.

bombshell

You ask what's next for Sony first party wise other than Horizon. There's a conference you can tune in to on Tuesday that will answer exactly that.

Also The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2 exists.

Angel_DvA

I think they do, they are listening to their fan base, bring Backward compatibility, new IPs that are looking really great like Scalebound, Quantum Break Sea of thieves etc..., they already released some good games like ori, Forza series, Sunset Overdrive etc... and has their first party studio at full speed, they have a good online service, a great customer service, updates are frequently released and a new UI is coming next.

Purest 78

Comes down to opinion Out of everything you mentioned Only thing I want is folders. Psn is night and day for me compared to ps3. I would have to leave my console on all night, to download something that takes me 2 hours now. I love Infamous,The show,Driveclub, bloodborne, and the order Among other exclusives.

So as you can see people's opinion can vary a lot with this topic.

You already bought the console. They got your money. They are winning the war. So they are complacent. don't give a fuck anymore. If you want Sony to start giving a fuck you have to light a fire under their ass. If every gaffer bought 5 or so The Ones (a platform where the platform holder is actually giving a fuck) that would teach Sony a lesson and maybe make them actually try again.

I mean, just look at the difference in leadership. When Shu goes to panels, he doesn't give a fuck. He just falls asleep. Sony habit. Phil, on the other hand, just oozes hunger and ambition. There is a fire in his eyes. Intense, yet durable. He has muscles like a cheetah in the jungle, ready to strike at any time, and a voice that commands authority and presence. That is ambition. That is willingness to do better.

I think MS is doing a far better job than they were at launch, but this line had me like:

2874776-1385.gif

The fact is that most people just don't care about this stuff that you mention. From a marketing perspective, games are the most important thing, followed by performance, ease of use, and a functioning online infrastructure (key word is functioning....no need for bells and whistles from most customers' standpoint).The incentive from an ROI perspective is not there when most people are happy purchasing the console as is now.

The UI is nice and quick, that's all I need. Just maybe add some folders. Don't give a shit about features ill never use like backwards compatability.

MrGerbils

Sony has dropped the ball in user experience, but dick measuring nerds were swayed by an extra 5-10 fps or 100 pixels of res so settled on the worse user experience. And now since they're in the lead they don't have any motivation to actually make anything better anyway.

Also they've just never been great at UI / UX to begin with so its not like anything has changed.

Aceofspades

Banned
PSN is not as weak as some people here try to believe, its on par with LIVE and has more next gen sharing features. Shareplay, Req to Watch others and more.

And PS4 has more exclusives and games in general than competition (if you like it or not is a matter of taste really), also it has more upcoming games than competition.

UI is miles better than X1, faster, snappier and to the point, you can start playing your disc in 30 seconds or less something you cant say about X1. all gaming focused features work flawlessly, what else you want here? metro grids filled with bugs and slow to crawl?

You are just over-exaggerating here.

nynt9

I quite like the UI. It does exactly what it needs to do.

As for the comments about their first party output: Opinions.

How I feel as well. Sorry you feel that way OP, but I'm totally fine. At least it's not the xbone UI. I find that to be dreadful. But others enjoy that as well.

hawk2025

How has the console experience barely changed?

Since launch, we are now able to join communities, shareplay, remote play at 60fps, use integrated spotify, and dozens of other major and minor features.

pixelbox

I'm sure it takes research to work things like folders in. I get that but things like no search option for communities, and lack of online notifications sour the experience. There are so high points like the ones listed in a thread i created but things need to move quicker.

As far as killzone, that developer is one of the youngest in the industry clocking 15 y.o., so they have so growing.

CoG

Microsoft making Xbox a service is not for the players as much as for the Microsoft/Windows ecosystem. The fact that the financial success of Sony hinges on PlayStation sits a lot better with me than Xbox being basically a hobby for Microsoft at this point.

You are a member of the preview program. Microsoft expects preview program members to sign up because they want to test new features and report bugs they encounter with them so they can make them the best they can be when they release to the public 1-2 months later.

If it's still broken when it officially releases eventually, you will have a point, but it's a beta. It's supposed to be broken. Mike Ybarra has publicly stated that crashes are common and many things will not work. This information was made publicly available so that people would not go into this expecting a fully functional and problem-free new interface. You can't fault Microsoft for your lack of awareness of the nature of the preview program, that's on you.

Microsoft updates the Xbox One monthly with features requested by the community, and they have a dedicated section of the website where you can suggest these features and give your feedback. Overall Microsoft has been far more open with what they are doing with their platform, and I would say that's doing better than Sony.

Guevara

The UI is great: fast and responsive.

But I agree with you about first party games. I've been a little disappointed on that front.

Alucrid

Banned
You already bought the console. They got your money. They are winning the war. So they are complacent. don't give a fuck anymore. If you want Sony to start giving a fuck you have to light a fire under their ass. If every gaffer bought 5 or so The Ones (a platform where the platform holder is actually giving a fuck) that would teach Sony a lesson and maybe make them actually try again.

I mean, just look at the difference in leadership. When Shu goes to panels, he doesn't give a fuck. He just falls asleep. Sony habit. Phil, on the other hand, just oozes hunger and ambition. There is a fire in his eyes. Intense, yet durable. He has muscles like a cheetah in the jungle, ready to strike at any time, and a voice that commands authority and presence. That is ambition. That is willingness to do better.

i've never seen shu change his t shirt mid press conference. i can only imagine the strength and agility phil spencer needs to do that. take his ugly blazer off, then his shirt off, then a new shirt on, then the ugly blazer back on...my god. what a beautiful adonis that man is.

prwxv3

I think they do, they are listening to their fan base, bring Backward compatibility, new IPs that are looking really great like Scalebound, Quantum Break Sea of thieves etc..., they already released some good games like ori, Forza series, Sunset Overdrive etc... and has their first party studio at full speed, they have a good online service, a great customer service, updates are frequently released and a new UI is coming next.

Have you actually looked at the list of future ps4 first party games? It's fine if they don't appeal to you but that is not a argument.

Sony has dropped the ball in user experience, but dick measuring nerds were swayed by an extra 5-10 fps or 100 pixels of res so settled on the worse user experience. And now since they're in the lead they don't have any motivation to actually make anything better anyway.

Also they've just never been great at UI / UX to begin with so its not like anything has changed.

Needs more "sheeple" references but overall I give it an 8/10. Impressive. Now tell me more about how people dont really like this thing they like but just don't know it yet.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The fact is that most people just don't care about this stuff that you mention. From a marketing perspective, games are the most important thing, followed by performance, ease of use, and a functioning online infrastructure (key word is functioning....no need for bells and whistles from most customers' standpoint).The incentive from an ROI perspective is not there when most people are happy purchasing the console as is now.

Exactly. This company isn't dumb. If lack of Feature X was driving sales, it would be implemented. Most of the stuff in the OP isn't. People want Games. And they want Games on the best place to play them. Anything else is a nice extra.

Most people don't care about the stuff you mentioned. That's about it.
If adding all those small things would significantly up sales, they'd do it. But it won't. So they don't.

MavFan619

Banned
You are a member of the preview program. Microsoft expects preview program members to sign up because they want to test new features and report bugs they encounter with them so they can make them the best they can be when they release to the public 1-2 months later.

If it's still broken when it officially releases eventually, you will have a point, but it's a beta. It's supposed to be broken. Mike Ybarra has publicly stated that crashes are common and many things will not work. This information was made publicly available so that people would not go into this expecting a fully functional and problem-free new interface. You can't fault Microsoft for your lack of awareness of the nature of the preview program, that's on you.

Microsoft updates the Xbox One monthly with features requested by the community, and they have a dedicated section of the website where you can suggest these features and give your feedback. Overall Microsoft has been far more open with what they are doing with their platform, and I would say that's doing better than Sony.
Ok I get it it's a beta I'm not dense I get this much. It still doesn't change that the thing for me is a brick until I can use my apps again and that kind of sucks.

Well, buy a Xbox if you want to optimize your fun in the console menus I guess.

That's like not even trying.

Communities just came out and is one of the best features from either console is a long time. Can easily just join GAF groups without having to bother managing times of these forums

Amazing feature

Have you actually looked at the list of future ps4 first party games? It's fine if they don't appeal to you but that is not a argument.

Well The Order and Knack were mediocre, and Driveclub wasn't my cup of tea, so I'm pretty worried about the future of Sony.

Like, what do they have coming out next year? Street Fighter V? That's on the PC too - a Microsoft system.

Sony is too complacent with first place. That's why Sony players will have nothing to play come a few months.

/s

LOL, thank you for this.

Majanew

Banned
Yeah, PS4 could use some folders. I would also like Sony to allow me to use my own backgrounds I make as themes. Seriously, what the hell?

Also, get rid of that space before your question marks. :p

Angel_DvA

I see people a lot of people talking about games perspective and I didn't have a PS3 at the time, moving directly from 360 to PS4 so I gladly take some remastered collection that I really enjoyed like TloU or Uncharted collection but for the rest of their IPs released since the beginning of this gen are pretty bad besides Bloodborne and Until Dawn, Killzone is far from being a Halo killer ( but I think it could be a better competitor if doing better ), Forza is the king ( until GT7 ?) and there is no Gears of war like games on Sony PS4 atm...

I don't want to really move on a Microsoft vs Sony type or thread, I'm really focusing about what Sony can do better because I really like my PS4 beside the things I talked about in my first post.

I'm fine with the UI outside of the folders request. Up until the beta for the X1, it was much faster and snappier then the X1 UI.

And I really can't agree with the first-party stuff at all. But I suppose that's personal opinions so I won't go too much into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom