• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 coming to Playstation VR

AmyS

Tekken 2 on PS1 had an unlockable semi first person, wireframe mode.

L6TKeH4.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGNWpn6FW20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2oy0k8hys8

mrqs

You'll probably be watching the fight.

No one wants to fighjt in first person, don't be that naive.

How?! As a FP Fighting game? Of all the genres that could fit in well with VR, fighting games seem the one of the least intuitive. I doubt it'll just be "play the regular game on a screen plastered to your field of view", so I'm really curious to hear more.

Ferrio

Banned
I really want VR support on SFV. Atleast for viewing replays or spectating.

Namco seems to be really embracing it atleast.

Nzyme32

I can't even imagine this right now.

Imagine how any fighting game looks. Now imagine you are at the front row of a basketball game or some other event in real life. Pretty much just that. Added stereoscopic 3D, head tracking to view the environment etc. Maybe have both players viewing from opposite each or something

How?! As a FP Fighting game? Of all the genres that could fit in well with VR, fighting games seem the one of the least intuitive. I doubt it'll just be "play the regular game on a screen plastered to your field of view", so I'm really curious to hear more.
I bet a boxing game with two of those Occulus controllers would be awesome.

DrArchon

When they said that Tekken team was interested in VR, I though they were gonna plug Summer Lesson.

But then I remembered that this wasn't TGS. :(

Clawww

3rd person, like seeing the fight play out in front of you as if you're inside the stage

Tain

I'm so happy about this. It'll work better than many think, watching life-sized fighters from the side.

kunonabi

Imagine how any fighting game looks. Now imagine you are at the front row of a basketball game or some other event in real life. Pretty much just that. Added stereoscopic 3D, head tracking to view the environment etc. Maybe have both players viewing from opposite each or something

Doesn't really sound like it's worth hearing a headset just for that.

3rd person, like seeing the fight play out in front of you as if you're inside the stage

Yeah I can see that. Wonder how awkward it'll make timing of counters or low-blocking with obscured field of view of your opponent. Still, I'm super interested in how developers will try and interpret familiar game genres in VR.

I bet a boxing game with two of those Occulus controllers would be awesome.

Boxing definitely. It's the super powers, ariels, counters (e.g. those 'snap-your-neck' combos), etc.. that I can't really envision, but that's on me. I'm looking forward to seeing what they bring to the table.

Hell yes!
With all the hype surrounding SFV and other fighting games stealing the spotlight from Tekken for a while now it was time for them to introduce a feature that would give TK7 the chance to set itself apart from all the other fighters even in the eyes of the most casual console gamer.
Also, VR Nina!!!

Just hoping this doesn't imply TK7 will be console (or even PS4) exclusive..

M3d10n

VR doesn't mean FP, people. Actually, there's a lot of potential for non-FP experiences. I was thinking exactly about using VR on a fighting game like SF or Tekken a while ago, by simply placing the player in the ring, like you're controlling two life-sized characters who fight in front of you.

This is gonna be mental. I want solid games being built for VR as much as the next guy, but part of getting new tech means you get a crazy experimental period as well. Cant wait to see this.

JordanN

Banned
VR doesn't mean FP, people. Actually, there's a lot of potential for non-FP experiences. I was thinking exactly about using VR on a fighting game like SF or Tekken a while ago, by simply placing the player in the ring, like you're controlling two life-sized characters who fight in front of you.

A VR version of this.

dxb0OZW.jpg

Foggy

Could be pretty neat, but I doubt people would get a ton of use out of it. Fighting games as we know them just aren't the best fit for VR.

Ravidrath

I can't imagine this working at all, but I still really want to watch a separate Evo Tekken 7 VR tournament.

I don't even care what they're seeing on their screens, I just want to watch two people flail at the air while commentators try to pretend it's serious.

Top Bottom