• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros Montreal (ArkhamOrigins) making 2 DC AAA games (Suicide Squad, Superman?)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They've had rumors about Suicide Squad for forever.

Superman seems plausible given the amount of rumbling around it.
We are a growing studio with two AAA projects in development focused on expanding the DC Comics universe in the interactive space.
Source: http://wbgamesmontreal.com/en/
IGN said:
BY NICOLE CARPENTER Warner Bros. Games Montreal has two new DC Comics universe titles on the docket—and they’re hiring for both.

The studio who developed Batman: Arkham Origins posted an official call for applicants on its website, announcing the development of two AAA projects "focused on expanding the DC Comics universe in the interactive space." The jobs available range from software developers and programmers to artists and designers.
Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11...ont page)&utm_content=3&utm_campaign=Blogroll

Drayco21

DC Gaming Universe, let's fuckin' go!

Superman and Suicide Squad seem most likely, but I'd still really like to see a Green Arrow game out of Montreal at some point too.

Man of Steel made me take the Superman poster off my wall. It had been there for eight years.

I would like to distance myself from all modern incarnations of Superman.

But who knows how it could turn out.

Boke1879

Suicide Squad is a given now. Hopefully a Superman game.

If that's the case. I hope later on this gen we get a Justice League game. Hopefully Rocksteady is already on that.

If Warner Bros. Montreal is making Suicide Squad and one unannounced DC Universe game, then what is Rocksteady developing next? I think Rocksteady are more likely to develop a Superman game while Warner Bros. Montreal will create the next Batman game. After the success of Arkham Knight, I am sure we are getting more Batman games in the future, and I am fine with it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If Warner Bros. Montreal is making Suicide Squad and one unannounced DC Universe game, then what is Rocksteady developing next? I think Rocksteady are more likely to develop a Superman game while Warner Bros. Montreal will create the next Batman game.

They said they're working with Warner and DC to decide. I'm assuming it's Justice League.

It is possible they're working on more Batman though yes. However they explicitly say "expanding" so I was kind of thinking that meant not-Batman.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Just no more Batman: Arkham X for a while, please. Love those games (except Knight) but have had my fill for the moment.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Really hoping for some sort of reveal soon. Maybe a teaser. Feels like we've been hearing this for a while now.

Also, a Suicide Squad game would be crazy. Needs a different combat engine than Batman though.

BibiMaghoo

Please do not make a Superman game. It cannot be done unless you weaken him through plot devices, and then you are just not even playing as Superman anymore. Please no.

Considering the declining quality of Batman games, (and WB Montreal being responsible for the worst of those) not sure why anyone would be particularly excited by this.

Drayco21

Please do not make a Superman game. It cannot be done unless you weaken him through plot devices, and then you are just not even playing as Superman anymore. Please no.

Or just have him fight aliens and robots in-between the big supervillain boss battles, and it's fine. Plenty of games have fine flight mechanics. Plenty of games have really strong protagonists. Superman's powers aren't that ridiculous to translate into a video game.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I really hope the next podcast has a large section cleared out to talk about this, I really want to hear you guys speculate and talk about what you want to see.

Riptwo

I actually wouldn't mind if they went this way by mirroring the current comic arc. I'm really into the latest Action Comics issues, and they'd translate really well to a game.

Akai__

Isn't Superman pretty much confirmed with all those easter eggs in Arkham Knight?

Never liked Superman, so probably not my game. Hope to hear more from these 2 games, though.

BibiMaghoo

Or just have him fight aliens and robots in-between the big supervillain boss battles, and it's fine. Plenty of games have fine flight mechanics. Plenty of games have really strong protagonists. Superman's powers aren't that ridiculous to translate into a video game.

Just out of curiousity, what third person action games have fine flight mechanics? I know of games that have great gliding mechanics, but cannot think of one where you can fly.

I actually wouldn't mind if they went this way by mirroring the current comic arc. I'm really into the latest Action Comics issues, and they'd translate really well to a game.

I've no idea what the current arc is, but presumably they have weakened him for reasons?

Blader

Given the movies coming up, I think a Justice League in development is way more likely than a Superman game.

j0hnnix

Superman_64.jpg

Please Please Please.. Superman 64!!!

TreIII

Exactly.

In a time and place where we have action games starring over-powered demon hunters, witches and ninja, we're running out of feasible reasons for why a Superman game can't have its star character be portrayed as OP as is feasible with gameplay/story segregation tropes in place.

I'd be more concerned if WB has what it takes to make such a thing and do it well. Much less if it must be open world.

The Suicide Squad game has been talked about by execs from DC in what feels like forever. I guess that game will have a short and intense marketing cycle. When is the movie launching?

Drayco21

Just out of curiousity, what third person action games have fine flight mechanics? I know of games that have great gliding mechanics, but cannot think of one where you can fly.

I actually really like the motion powers, including flight, in DC Universe Online. The flight in the Iron Man movie games was fine too, it's just every other aspect of them that made them not worth playing. Just Cause's wingsuit and grappling hook may as well be flight- hell a lot of those games with gliding may as well be flight for how much ground you cover, like the Arkham games, Second Son, Prototype and Saint's Row.

Some Nobody

So Superman IS coming out in a title. Interesting.

For what its worth, the mechanics of gliding in the Arkham series could be tweaked to flight--it emulates the feeling fairly well already.

As far as powering Superman down...Superman has gotten stronger in the comics over time, which would work well in a progression-based open-world game. The longer he uses his powers, the more sun he absorbs, the more his powers develop. Could even power him down through the usage of that new power he got where he can expel all of his solar energy in a giant burst. There's several ways to work that character in the comics.

Now I just need a Justice League game this gen and it'll be my favorite yet. Could we possibly hear about one of these at PSX?

Riptwo

I've no idea what the current arc is, but presumably they have weakened him for reasons?
They gave him a new solar flare power, which can get him out of a tight spot, but temporarily drains his powers. He's still fast and tough, but he loses his flight, invincibility, and super-speed, bringing him more in line with the old school leaping Superman.

ryseing

The Suicide Squad game has been talked about by execs from DC in what feels like forever. I guess that game will have a short and intense marketing cycle. When is the movie launching?

My guess is that it will tie into the home release date of the movie like Mad Max did.

Loxley

Man of Steel made me take the Superman poster off my wall. It had been there for eight years.

I would like to distance myself from all modern incarnations of Superman.

But who knows how it could turn out.

You must have been very selective with your Superman comics and movies up to that point, because Man of Steel is far from the worst thing DC have ever done with the character in his 75 years of existence.

Just promise me one thing, no tank battles.

The tanks are coming...

nJDxDfN.jpg

Zukkoyaki

After Origins, an underrated gem, I'm positive that Montreal can deliver some stellar new games. I'm most excited by the fact that they have TWO in the works :D

Penguin

Suicide Squad makes sense

Hinted at at the end of Origins... it's been... 2 years since Origins' release.... and movie next year.

The next I do wonder...lots of people can use the Batman engine and it would work, but would they want all their games to feel samey?

KingJ2002

WOOOOO.... a suicide squad game by them would be dooooope.

and if they can make a good superman game... they're gods.

GeeTeeCee

I would love to see Suicide Squad revealed soon, given how long it's been known to exist (I remember Geoff Johns hinting at it years back). I don't suppose it's too much to hope for a surprise Game Awards reveal? The movie is out next year, after all, so it would make sense to line the two up if possible.

Over reaction much?

How is deciding I don't like Superman anymore an overreaction?

You must have been very selective with your Superman comics and movies up to that point, because Man of Steel is far from the worst thing DC have ever done with the character in his 75 years of existences

I was incredibly selective. The only Superman comics I actually like are Birthright and All Star Superman.

But the whole point of Superman is that he is supposed to be an ideal and exists outside his fiction.

Man of Steel just showed me that Superman's stories would never be what I wanted them to be. So I moved on.

The two best "Superman" stories aren't even Superman stories. They're Disney's Hercules and The Iron Giant. At least I have those.

They said they're working with Warner and DC to decide. I'm assuming it's Justice League.

It is possible they're working on more Batman though yes. However they explicitly say "expanding" so I was kind of thinking that meant not-Batman.
The reason why I figured Rocksteady would create a Superman game is because of the teases that they have thrown around in Arkham Knight. Unless they are making a game featuring Superman (Justice League), I don't really understand the purpose of such teases. So they are either developing Justice League game or a Superman game. I trust Rocksteady more for creating the origins of a Super Hero in gaming, like they did with Arkham Asylum for Batman.

Top Bottom