• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade to home ports that are better than the coin-op originals

nkarafo

Had a go on the TMNT IV arcade and, boy, that game is pretty bad. I honestly didn't expect that considering how much i loved Turtles in Time on the SNES... Now, the graphics look a bit better but the gameplay simply isn't a match for the SNES port. In the arcade version the hit detection is bad, the hits lack any sense of power, the Turtles skate on the floor in the middle of their combos, the combos don't always complete their animation cycle and look like using just random animations... It feels like a broken version of the SNES game. On SNES, the controls are tighter, the hit detection is great, the hits feel powerful, it's just much more satisfying to play.

Another one is Soul Calibur. The Dreamcast version isn't just Arcade Perfect (which was what most ports would love to be) but it's a much better looking version instead.

I'm interested in finding more examples like these.

raven777

770316TekkenTag.jpg

Tekken Tag Tournament on PS2

Renekton

Tekken Tag Tournament.

Originally running on PS1-based arcade hardware, the home port to PS2 uplifted the graphics significantly.

Heero5

I disagree OP Turtles IV arcade is far better then the SNES version. As for a port that beats the arcade I'll go with Ninja Gaiden NES. I like that way more than the proto beat em up for arcades.

DualEdge

I would tentatively put the PS2 version of Gauntlet: Dark Legacy in this category since it was not only arcade perfect in terms of the port (maybe save for a few animations) but it also had additional levels. And hey, no quarters required to play! :)

- Contra (NES). Graphics were technically visually inferior, but boy was everything else about the pacing, gameplay, controls, jump mechanics and whatnot a massive improvement.

- SF Rush 2049 (Dreamcast). The Dreamcast version was pure gold. It had so much more content than the original game, and added a fun medal collection mode in skatepark-inspired levels. Pretty sure it added local multiplayer, too! It was optimized, fast-loading and pure fun.

nkarafo

I disagree OP Turtles IV arcade is far better then the SNES version.
Apart from allowing 4 players to play at the same time and the slightly better graphics and sound, what else do you like more about the Arcade version?

Unquestionably the two best examples are punch out! And bionic commando. Both games are far, far better In their nes incarnations

Bane

- Contra (NES). Graphics were technically visually inferior, but boy was everything else about the pacing, gameplay, controls, jump mechanics and whatnot a massive improvement.

This was the first thing I thought of. I was shocked how bad the arcade version felt when I first played it.

Apart from allowing 4 players to play at the same time and the slightly better graphics and sound, what else do you like more about the Arcade version?
What else is there? The hit detection issues mentioned are non existent. The arcade game plays just like the snes version, only it looks and sounds better with more players. End of story.

Unquestionably the two best examples are punch out! And bionic commando. Both games are far, far better In their nes incarnations

Well, both of those NES games (plus Ninja Gaiden, since that was mentioned) are straight-up sequels. They aren't ports, but separate games.

That said, I can agree with Contra. I kind of like the pacing in the arcade version more than in the NES game, but the NES version definitely feels better-balanced.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
What else is there? The hit detection issues mentioned are non existent. The arcade game plays just like the snes version, only it looks and sounds better with more players. End of story.

The arcade game and the SNES game do not play alike at all IMO. You have much better control on the SNES version. In the arcade version you do things seemingly at random. There is no rhyme/reason to it. The "mode 7 throw" is a primary example of that.

SNES version is superior IMO.

BiggNife

OP is on point. Outside of only 2 player support, Turtles in Time SNES is way better than arcade. More content, better controls, better sound effects/music.

Tekken Tag and Soul Calibur are the big ones, I think. It is honestly kind of insane how much better the DC version of SC looks compared to arcade. And it's not like the arcade version was super ugly or anything.

Time Crisis 2 is a big one, too. The original arcade version came out in 1997, the PS2 port came out in 2001.

arcade models:

hqdefault.jpg

vs PS2 models:

Crisis Zone got a similar visual upgrade for PS2 IIRC.

nkarafo

The hits feel much weaker. Also, the gameplay is inferior, the Arcade version feels more random (in SNES version you can even control what finisher you want the turtle to do), In SNES you can control the combo animations, the turtles don't skate and only move when you want them to move. The arcade also feels too much like a shoot em up or something, you have too many enemies on screen that die with a few hits, while in the SNES version you get fewer, but tougher enemies that require some thought on your positioning and moves. Its way tighter.

End of story.

Heero5

The stage lay out and bosses are the big reason I prefer the arcade version. Stage 2 on the snes is the "dome" and the robot turtle and cement monster where changed in the snes version to other enemies with different patterns. And don even get me started when you have to throw foot soldiers at shredder in the sewer...

I may be a bit nostalgia blind as I literally stood in front of Turtles IV for years as a kid lol

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
The stage lay out and bosses are the big reason I prefer the arcade version. Stage 2 on the snes is the "dome" and the robot turtle and cement monster where changed in the snes version to other enemies with different patterns.

I may be a bit nostalgia blind as I literally stood in front of Turtles IV for years as a kid lol

Mecha-turtle is in the SNES version. They changed the cement monster to Slash (an improvement IMO) and moved Tokka and Rahzar from the pirate ship level to the new Technodrome level and replaced them with pirate versions of Bebop and Rocksteady (also an improvement IMO). They also added Rat King to the sewer surfing level.

The only change they made to the SNES version in terms of bosses/levels that I would say is worse is the change to neon-nightriders.

Turtles in Time is one of those games that I'd say doesn't actually have a definitive version. The arcade version has four player co-op and superior presentation (and Neon Night Riders isn't a total bore here), but the SNESsion has better mechanics and far more content. Ideally, there'd be a version that consolidated the SNES version's improvements with the Arcade version's 4p Co-Op, music and graphics, but that's never going to happen.

That being said, Daytona USA HD is an arcade superior port that comes to mind.

VariantX

The hits feel much weaker. Also, the gameplay is inferior, the Arcade version feels more random (in SNES version you can even control the finishers), You can control combo animations, the turtles don't skate and only move when you want them to move. The arcade also feels too much like a shoot em up or something, you have too many enemies on screen that die with a few hits, while the SNES version you get fewer, but tougher enemies that require some thought on your positioning and moves.

End of story.

Kind of agree. Just the sound and feel of hitting stuff was way more solid. If only the arcade played like the snes version where I could consistently clear rooms with well placed slams... also nothing beats throwing foot soldiers into the screen to hit shredder.

Heero5

Mecha-turtle is in the SNES version. They changed the cement monster to Slash (an improvement IMO)

I really struggle against this guy as opposed to the "man I just had a shower" cement monster lol I'm in no way saying the snes version is bad, in fact it's one of the more impressive ports of the era, I just love the arcade version.

Turtles in Time is one of those games that I'd say doesn't actually have a definitive version. The arcade version has four player co-op and superior presentation (and Neon Night Riders isn't a total bore here), but the SNED version has better mechanics and far more content. Ideally, there'd be a version that consolidated the SNES version's improvements with the Arcade version's 4p Co-Op, music and graphics, but that's never going to happen.

What if they made an Xbox Live/PSN version...oh wait... :/

OP is right. SNES version is far superior.

nkarafo

Well not technically. I remember the arcade hardware was 50% stronger than PS1 across the board and it showed.

Namco somehow squeezing this title into the PS1 was a miracle.
Yeah, PS1 versions lacked the 3D backgrounds. Not sure how the character models compare though.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
R-type (Snes) Well at least from a audio standpoint
SF III: Third Strike (Dreamcast)
Hell,amost everything in the Arcade was better on Dreamcast!

I disagree OP Turtles IV arcade is far better then the SNES version.

Came to post this...well done!
4 player coop also :)

As for a port that beats the arcade I'll go with Ninja Gaiden NES. I like that way more than the proto beat em up for arcades.

Torn about this.....but, I liked the arcade better, I guess is nostalgia but two player ninja action back in the 80's was mind blowing.

now castlevania on the other hand...the arcade version sucked.
any castlevania on any home console is better.

SF III: Third Strike (Dreamcast)
Hell,amost everything in the Arcade was better on Dreamcast!

Nooooope.

3S on Dreamcast has some minor changes to the game that were made from a later revision of the CPS3 arcade hardware. Most people who play high level 3S prefer the older revision that has things like Urien unblockables and such.

The only games on DC that match up with their arcade counterparts are things that were released on the Naomi hardware. CvS2, MvC2, Power Stone 1 and 2, Cannon Spike, etc.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Tekken Tag Tournament, Soul Calibur 1 are the most notable examples. To the point where every port of those games afterward is based on the PS2 and Dreamcast versions respectively. They were truly a generation ahead of their Arcade counterparts, but the fact that the originals were based on PS1 hardware basically makes this the case anyway.

To me, NBA Jam was made for home consoles. I recently visited an old arcade that still had it, and it's just hard playing it with those joysticks. Booted up my SNES version a while later, and it's so much better. Only the graphics were better on the arcade version as to be expected.

Renekton

Nooooope.

3S on Dreamcast has some minor changes to the game that were made from a later revision of the CPS3 arcade hardware. Most people who play high level 3S prefer the older revision that has things like Urien unblockables and such.
This narrative was weird to me, as it meant the players preferred more broken stuff like unblockables.

AmyS

Wasn't Outrun on the Saturn better than the arcade because of the 60fps improvement?

Yes. Visually the Saturn version at 60fps was that much more fluid, although the gameplay in 60fps mode wasn't done right and felt weird, but this was totally reworked and corrected with the much more recent 3D Outrun on 3DS.

Guys, in general, I don't count console ports that just add features but aren't on par with the arcade version in graphics, i.e. Tekken 3 on PS1. Yeah, lots of contented added, but the base game's graphics had to be compromised.

That said, the very best examples are games like Soul Caliber on Dreamcast and Tekken Tag Tournament.on PS2, where the graphics are massively improved over the arcade.
Both arcade games used the same overclocked PS1-based hardware, Namco's System 12 board, also used in arcade Tekken 3.

And here is a different example - Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams by Success on Sega's System 16 arcade hardware - ported to the Sharp X68000 computer with improved graphics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60qr3XpABNg

QvsQ4MK.jpg

O6N2ESu.jpg

OHiJlZJ.jpg

ZtRG9N6.jpg
fz6t5Qm.jpg

LakeEarth

+1 vote for Turtles In Time SNES being a better game. I don't know how others who've played both versions can say that the gameplay is identical. Totally different feel between the two, and I prefer the SNES version as it is tighter and has more feedback when you're hitting enemies.

I disagree with 3rd Strike for the Dreamcast. The lack of unblockables hurts the midtier, and only makes Chun stronger.

grendelrt

To me, NBA Jam was made for home consoles. I recently visited an old arcade that still had it, and it's just hard playing it with those joysticks. Booted up my SNES version a while later, and it's so much better. Only the graphics were better on the arcade version as to be expected.
We play 4 player jam on my arcade machine, never had a complaint on controls, I think that's just your personal preference.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
- SF Rush 2049 (Dreamcast). The Dreamcast version was pure gold. It had so much more content than the original game, and added a fun medal collection mode in skatepark-inspired levels. Pretty sure it added local multiplayer, too! It was optimized, fast-loading and pure fun.

I probably played the demo for this game over 100 hours.

This narrative was weird to me, as it meant the players preferred more broken stuff like unblockables.

When you're playing against Chun, you need every tool available to you. If this meant doing absolutely crazy unblockable setups, then it's fair.

Everything, even mild cheating, is fair against 3S Chun.

Top Bottom