• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade to home ports that are better than the coin-op originals

nkarafo

Sega Rally 2

Mortal Kombat 4

Star Wars: Episode 1 Racing

...Still no way to play arcade perfect ports, even with emulation :(

eso76

Toki (Amiga)

Amiga has better music
Amiga has dual parallax in contrast to arcade version

Absolutely, it looked much much better with more colors, better sprites and afaik better resolution with a different aspect ratio having more horizontal screen estate.

Eh, great conversion but not really. Amiga had :
- Slightly higher resolution (but tall black bar for hud, so not fullscreen)
- LESS colors
- Fatter sprites (due to different aspect ratio).
- Parallax in the underwater level not present in the arcade (it's the same everywhere else, though).
- Better music.

Unfortunately, it also ran at 30fps, which most people (including journalists) back then didn't notice. Ah, we were so innocent back then, we didn't know better.
Game isn't anywhere near as smooth as the arcade and doesn't play as well.
Still a pretty great conversion.

Going off topic, but speaking of incredibly accurate (for the time, and in relative terms) conversions, i only recently (like, last week) learned that there's a Simpsons Arcade Game conversion on C64.
The fact they went as far as recreating the full intro just blows me away.
https://youtu.be/rf_AvN7GU6g
Turtles arcade isn't half bad either.

Renekton

But i never have seen any game, on any genre on Model 3 that looks at the level of Test Drive Le Mans Dreamcast, Ferrari F335, Ikaruga or DOA 2. This, talking about Arcade games...In domestic system style games...i don´t think that Model 3 has power to handle a 1:1 game of the complexity of Shenmue 1 and 2.
If you compare Test Drive or Ferrari to arcade Daytona 2, you can see Daytona 2 does a gratuitous "hey look at the polygons we can push!" including an unnecessary swinging pirate ship. So it may be just Dreamcast devs just being more clever with use of horsepower.

I wonder why AMD doesn't just make an arcade board with their APUs. Should be cheaper and more powerful than the Taito boards.

If you compare Test Drive or Ferrari to arcade Daytona 2, you can see Daytona 2 does a gratuitous "hey look at the polygons we can push!" including an unnecessary swinging pirate ship. So it may be just Dreamcast devs just being more clever with use of horsepower.

I wonder why AMD doesn't just make an arcade board with their APUs. Should be cheaper and more powerful than the Taito boards.

Daytona Usa 2 uses the resources availables of the Model 3 for show spectacularity. But it does not mean that it stages push more detail than DC. Msr and its realistic (for the time) stages proves it.

Daytona 2
https://youtu.be/4OOTZj7xSZM

Msr

https://youtu.be/V8RgMbS-PO8

AmyS

Daytona Usa 2 uses the resources availables of the Model 3 for show spectacularity. But it does not mean that it stages push more detail than DC. Msr and its realistic (for the time) stages proves it.

Daytona 2

Msr

Here are some higher quality, 60FPS Daytona USA 2 videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCSnO3e8SnA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkuNeKNuk1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmBZwRk4MtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvqdCuM7RKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8TWP6-4MrA

Daytona 2

Msr

Good comparison between Daytona USA 2 and Daytona USA 2001 on the Dreamcast:

https://youtu.be/BmJd4ZsNMeU?t=204

The track design is simaler, but Daytona USA 2 is pushing way more polygons on screen than Daytona USA 2001. The environments in the Daytona 2 track were crazy with the giant bio-dome encompassing the track. Though in all fairness, 2001 is an enhanced port of the original arcade game, so I don't think it is pushing the Dreamcast quite as hard.

Final Fight CD. Colors may not have been as good, but it made up for it with the music and voiceovers. Also, there was no censoring in it.

The US version was censored actually. Overall, it was an excellent port besides orem missing color and less enemies on screen.

My vote goes to Tekken Tag on PS2 and Soul Caliber on Dreamcast. Both were generational leaps over their arcade counterparts.

Daytona USA on the DC had much better graphics than the arcade version, more tracks and cars, no pop up whatsoever. Online play was icing on the cake. And worked perfectly with wheels.
The handling isn't anywhere near as good though. There were a lot of settings to tinker, but it never felt 1:1 to the arcade version.

Online-play was mostly miss and miss as well. Races had a 1 in 10 chance of actually finishing.

The new (music) tracks and remixes were great though.

The track design is simaler, but Daytona USA 2 is pushing way more polygons on screen than Daytona USA 2001. The environments in the Daytona 2 track were crazy with the giant bio-dome encompassing the track. Though in all fairness, 2001 is an enhanced port of the original arcade game, so I don't think it is pushing the Dreamcast quite as hard.

One thing that I noticed is that the AI cars in 2001 look better than in USA 2. Granted it practically requires pausing the video to see this, but the difference is pretty stark.

It could be an emulation issue though.

The handling isn't anywhere near as good though. There were a lot of settings to tinker, but it never felt 1:1 to the arcade version.

To be honest, the DC controls are actually pretty arcade accurate if you are playing the game with a racing wheel. The analogue stick controls were too twitchy though. It was the way they set up the turn radius with the analogue stick.

One thing that I noticed is that the AI cars in 2001 look better than in USA 2. Granted it practically requires pausing the video to see this, but the difference is pretty stark.

It could be an emulation issue though.

Yeah there might be some emulation issues in the Daytona 2 portion of that video. But the player car is made out of more polys, you can see the interior in Daytona 2. Though one interesting thing to note about the Dreamcast port is that it has better draw distances than the later Xbox 360/ PS3 home ports.

This is not a great video, but take a look at Seaside Street for the Dreamcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sge9S5CKVmM

Now here is the 360 XBLA enhanced port of the original arcade game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA-5mbVrHao

Obviously Daytona 2001 was built from the ground up for the DC, while the XBLA/PSN versions were ports or the original game. So the pop in may be a leftover quirk. But I always thought it was neat.

770316TekkenTag.jpg

Tekken Tag Tournament on PS2

The first time I ever saw Tekken Tag in an arcade (in about 2004), I was really surprised at how poor the graphics were versus the PS2 version.

ghibli99

I was already feeling this with Tekken on the PS1. I think it was pretty much 1:1 with the arcade, but with more modes, etc. I thought, "Why do we even need arcades anymore?" Soul Calibur pretty much cemented it. Be careful what you wish for, I guess.

Spman2099

Cadash is a better game on the TurboGrafx-16 than it is in the arcade. For starters, it is balanced appropriately. Removing the timer also gives the game a more adventurous feel and I think is an improvement. It was also adjusted to make the two player experience better. You can revive a partner by going back to town now. It is an awesome game.

On a more subjective note, I love the colours used in the TG-16 version. Also, despite the visuals being simplified, I think they look cleaner. However, I am sure some people will think that the arcade version still looks better, which is totally fair. I also think the music is better in the TG-16 version, but once again, that is super subjective.

So yeah, the arcade version is definitely technically more competent, I just find the TG-16 version to be the better game.

Dai101

Banned
Dreamcast rule in this realm!!

Soul Calibur
The King Of Fighters 99 Dream Match
The King Of Fighter 99 Evolution
Mortal Kombat Gold
Tech Romancer
Plasma Sword
Dynamite Cop

You're letting the best one out son.

IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!!

What am I reading here? MK Gold is quite possibly the worst and most broken (technically, not balance) games on the system, let alone in the franchise.

Extra characters does not a better game make. On that note...

Street Fighter Alpha 3 Double Upper (arcade name) and Max (PSP name) really made Alpha 3 a snooze fest. Once V-ish got neutered and all of the balance changes happened, it really made the game suck. While it's beyond broken (balance), I much prefer the original Alpha 3.

This man knows whats up.

DiscoJer

Space Invaders for the 2600.

While the graphics are basically a wash, the gameplay in the home version was so much better. Much faster paced and with a ton of options.

woodypop

Cadash is a better game on the TurboGrafx-16 than it is in the arcade. For starters, it is balanced appropriately. Removing the timer also gives the game a more adventurous feel and I think is an improvement. It was also adjusted to make the two player experience better. You can revive a partner by going back to town now. It is an awesome game.

On a more subjective note, I love the colours used in the TG-16 version. Also, despite the visuals being simplified, I think they look cleaner. However, I am sure some people will think that the arcade version still looks better, which is totally fair. I also think the music is better in the TG-16 version, but once again, that is super subjective.

So yeah, the arcade version is definitely technically more competent, I just find the TG-16 version to be the better game.
Thank you for reminding me to play this again. I really need to hook up the ol' TG-16 and revisit some of its gems, including Cadash.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't know for sure, but considering the GameCube version runs perfectly and has added mini games, most likely Monkey Ball -> Super Monkey Ball is an example?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Bionic Commando was the first that comes to mind. Arcade game is ass, NES game is a classic.

Crazy Taxi DC is a good one, too. One could say the controller's not as immersive as the arcade's wheel setup, but using controller buttons for Crazy Boosts and Drifts for high score runs is way more feasible than in the arcade, where you'd have to outright murder an arcade cab's manual shifter for high-level play. Plus it gave a whole new second city layout to play around in (with that oh-so-gratifying open drawbridge jump) and the Crazy Box challenges.

Weevilone

I would add Akai Katana as a good example that's recent. The 360 release included modes that improved upon the original arcade release, while offering HD graphics if that's your thing.

Incidentally, there was an additional PCB released for home use that also improved upon the original arcade game, and the 360 version spawned an arcade release of Shin mode that made it all come full circle.

lazygecko

The US version was censored actually. Overall, it was an excellent port besides orem missing color and less enemies on screen.

I don't think the problem was missing colors so much as it was poorly chosen colors. There's a ROM hack which fixes most of the problems like the sickly yellow hue on the characters.

2087screenshot1jwray.png

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Tecmo, the thread.

Ninja Gaiden and Rygar were god games on the NES. The arcade versions were just okay.

Huh? Graphically (and for me most definitely in gameplay) Ninja Gaiden arcade destroyed the home port. Hell, they were only alike in name. They were two different games.

JMTHEFOX

There was also a bit of a weird loop with some of these games. There was arcade Soul Calibur > Dreamcast > then Dreamcast version found it's way back to arcades! For a few years there most arcade machines had Dreamcast guts.

Woah, that is just as unusual as the Game Boy version of Bust-A-Move 2 being ported to the Arcade.

MK Gold had more characters and was graphically on par with the arcade version, but damn MK Gold is soooo broken that I'm tempted to say that it's worse. On paper MK Gold is better, but I wouldn't disagree with anyone that prefers the arcade version.

Doesn´t look on par...Looks a little bit better, textures and resolution seems to be a little bit improved. But i don´t understand why you say it´s broken...From a gameplay perspective it feels equal to the Arcade version...But i gotta say i haven´t played the Arcade too much.

MK Gold is broken, only if you compare it with real DC fighters...Like SC, Doa 2, Project Justice, etc...

I´m agree....I don´t see Daytona 2 graphics out of the Dreamcast reach...The thing is the complex Model 3 architecture..DC is more powerful, but never from a generational leap...In fact i think the two machines are close in overall visual horsepower...That makes that any direct port from Model 3 suffer from little downgrading here and there on DC (not something very evident, in most cases)...If they would have direct ported Daytona 2 to DC, probably the game would have suffered from the same handicaps of the Sega Rally 2 port...But if they would create a Dreamcast Daytona 2 from the scratch, and taking advantage of the entire DC hardware, it would look better than the model 3 Daytona 2.

Grifter

I would add Akai Katana as a good example that's recent. The 360 release included modes that improved upon the original arcade release, while offering HD graphics if that's your thing.

Incidentally, there was an additional PCB released for home use that also improved upon the original arcade game, and the 360 version spawned an arcade release of Shin mode that made it all come full circle.

I'd extend this to the horizontal Cave games (maybe tate ones too but I've played on a turned CRT just once). They had arcade modes and refined arrange modes with significant updates. Altho I can see the argument for board specific quirks and slowdowns in this genre.

Huh? Graphically (and for me most definitely in gameplay) Ninja Gaiden arcade destroyed the home port. Hell, they were only alike in name. They were two different games.

Glad to find the only person alive that agrees with me on this. Fun early beat 'em up with interesting graphics and stage interactions.

Peltz

I don't know for sure, but considering the GameCube version runs perfectly and has added mini games, most likely Monkey Ball -> Super Monkey Ball is an example?
Woah woah woah....
Stop right there.

There's an arcade version of Super Monkey Ball?!?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Woah woah woah....
Stop right there.

There's an arcade version of Super Monkey Ball?!?

Yes, it's called Monkey Ball, has no GonGon, only has one Master course (the hardest one) and is controlled by a banana stick. Other than that it is the same game as Super Monkey Ball. I have never played it though, even though I'm a huge Super Monkey Ball fan.

HotHamBoy

Are not all fighting games after the PSX era superior on consoles due to additional characters, features and balancing?

HotHamBoy

Dynamite Deka/Die Hard Arcade to PS2 ports.
Improved graphic, new game mode, so yeah, better than the arcade

Oh shit, i didn't know this was on JP PSN! Play-Asia, here I come! I've got this game for Saturn and it's awesome but loading between each room is murder.

I feel like Sewer Surfin SNES kinda balances out by adding Rat King, even if he is easy as hell. Neon Night Riders is definitely a joke compared to the Arcade version, though.

I feel like there's probably never going to be a general consensus with Turtles in Time, haha.

I now have an inkling of why the Reshelled version was so controversial.

I'll add another vote for the SNES version. Aside from everything else mentioned, adding in Rat King and Bebop and Rocksteady (and taking out Cement Man) tips the scales.

Pretty much all of the Tekken console-releases have had extra characters/modes in addition to the Arcade content. It just about makes the year (or more)-long wait bearable.

This this this. The Tekken ports were first-class efforts across the board, adding characters, content and cutscenes galore. Well worth the money every single time.

Lots of great responses in here, SF Rush 2049 and Soulcalibur are the natural ones for me, but I need to see more love for this one:

Quiz and Dragons.

In addition to the awesomely surreal quiz-based combat scenarios like this:
130507053050942418.png

They made a new version with Capcom-specific questions for its release in the Capcom Classics Collection anthologies:
hqdefault.jpg

dr guildo

We all know that the DC killed the Arcade, because it has brought 3D arcade games 1:1 ports to home, and more if affinity.

I own a Golden Axe arcade board. The AI in it is annoyingly stupid and will just stand attacking the air if you are horizontal to them. Golden Axe, Genesis also added a level and an additional last boss beyond the arcade's last boss. Although, the last boss on the Genesis (is that Death Adder or is Death Adder the one in the room with the king and queen?) is too difficult in my opinion.

Top Bottom