• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade to home ports that are better than the coin-op originals

nkarafo

The Mega Drive version of Data East's Atomic Runner (aka Chelnov) is a lot better than the arcade original.

Arcade:
0007.png

Mega Drive:
atomicrunner1.png

Arcade:
0030.png

Mega Drive:
atomicrunner8.png

Here's a good article about the game: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/chelnov/chelnov.htm
Damn, that does look good. Never played that game on the Mega Drive.

SkylineRKR

Soul Calibur is one of the best examples, it was a quantum leap. Tekken Tag also but SC was even more impressive.

Tekken 3 wasn't better on Ps1. It did have more extras which are par for the course for consoles. But the backgrounds were worse and Ling's stage ran like shit. If it comes to pure fighting, I prefer the version on Tekken 5 which was the Arcade rom.

Time Crisis 2 was better on Ps2, but it was a pre Ps2 arcade game destined for Dreamcast (which was canned). However, nothing beats the Arcade setup. Plays miles better.

Sega Rally 2 on DC was the biggest disappointment. It looks and runs like shit.

JMTHEFOX

1) UN Squadron - SNES version lets you buy multiple planes to use.
2) Gauntlet - Genesis version (IV) is arcade perfect along with more modes, an actual soundtrack and multitap support.
3) Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max - Characters from SF3 and CvS2 plus Ingrid, all of which now have their own endings. Also, less loading times.
4) Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (not HD Remix) - 3DO version has CD quality remixed music

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
- SF Rush 2049 (Dreamcast). The Dreamcast version was pure gold. It had so much more content than the original game, and added a fun medal collection mode in skatepark-inspired levels. Pretty sure it added local multiplayer, too! It was optimized, fast-loading and pure fun.

I believe the pop-out wings on the cars also originated in the home version.

Justinh

I guess I'll have to go with Contra, but I'm not sure if that's nostalgia talking. I love-loved the NES games when I was younger, and when I downloaded the arcade game from the Xbox marketplace I was shocked how much I didn't like the game.

I see Ninja Gaiden named. At least the arcade version had the gnarly circular saw death scene (that gave me nightmares), but yeah, home version I liked greatly more.

The arcade version of Tekken 3 actually had more damage than the home version. At least according to people on TZ. If that's truly the case, in terms of a competitive scene, I'd take the console version over the arcade, just because some moves already do a stupid amount in T3 in the first place, and more touch-of-death combos could open up.

Rygar. The NES version added Metroidvania aspects, gear, and light RPG elements.

The arcade version was repetitive ass. How does the nes version stack up?

Also is it really possible to call the NES Ninja Gaiden a port of the arcade game?

They were developed concurrently. The arcade game was released in October 1988, while the NES game came out in December 1988.

The arcade version was repetitive ass. How does the nes version stack up?

It's practically an entirely different game. There's a larger emphasis on platforming, a lot of branching paths, equipment to find that opens up new areas, level-ups, etc.
Still gets repetitive, and there aren't any passwords/battery backup (wtf), but it's overall much better.

SNK was really on the ball with their NeoGeo to PS2 ports, especially KoF. Arranged music, color edit, new 3D backgrounds, and new characters. I think the most drastic improvement was KoF 2001. Their only fluke was their Last Blade 2 port.

heroe_galego

Neo Member
1943 (NES) - The NES version is a more manageable experience, thanks to the permanent upgrades you can find along the way, and the charge shot helps too. Password saving helps a lot as well

Ensoul

While the graphics were not as good Street Fighter II for the consoles allowed players to pick the same fighters and go against each other which is something that the arcade never allowed.

Ring King for the nes because you could built your guy up. I always thought Punchout for the NES was better than the arcade version.

Piccoro

The Mega Drive version of Data East's Atomic Runner (aka Chelnov) is a lot better than the arcade original.

Arcade:
0007.png

Mega Drive:
atomicrunner1.png

Arcade:
0030.png

Mega Drive:
atomicrunner8.png

Here's a good article about the game: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/chelnov/chelnov.htm

Oh wow, so happy someone else remembers Atomic Runner! :)
I played a lot in the arcades as a kid, and then the Megadrive version. The MD version was really better, but I think they removed all the Chernobyl references that the Arcade had...

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix

Opinions mean a lot when it comes to what some people prefer in games, but the changes made in HDR are universally panned by people that actually play ST.

Personally, if you are in it for the graphics, then the rush job they did on getting sprites "1:1" looks awful. The backgrounds are cartoonish and don't mesh well with the heavy lines in the character sprites, and some of them look real goofy.

The gameplay changes... I could go on for days about. There are so many things that they did wrong in HDR that change the game completely. Small things like changing the inputs on SPD and Final Atomic Buster change the way Zangief plays. Honda being able to go through projectiles with LP torpedo is an insane change. The angle of Guile's Flash Kick makes it a crazy offensive tool instead of an attack to get people out of your airspace. The list goes on and on. The only addition to the game that makes sense to me is giving Ryu a Hadouken feint with LK.

Peltz

I'm sure a lot of shmups fit this thread because most of them release with extra content besides the "Arcade Mode".

Also... SMB2J was better than Vs.SMB in the arcade.

Vs. SMB contained a mix of levels from SMB1 and 2J but came out before SMB2J afaik.

All three are great and worth playing though.

Tizoc

Opinions mean a lot when it comes to what some people prefer in games, but the changes made in HDR are universally panned by people that actually play ST.

Personally, if you are in it for the graphics, then the rush job they did on getting sprites "1:1" looks awful. The backgrounds are cartoonish and don't mesh well with the heavy lines in the character sprites, and some of them look real goofy.

The gameplay changes... I could go on for days about. There are so many things that they did wrong in HDR that change the game completely. Small things like changing the inputs on SPD and Final Atomic Buster change the way Zangief plays. Honda being able to go through projectiles with LP torpedo is an insane change. The angle of Guile's Flash Kick makes it a crazy offensive tool instead of an attack to get people out of your airspace. The list goes on and on. The only addition to the game that makes sense to me is giving Ryu a Hadouken feint with LK.

iirc sf2 ST had various character balance issues like how Cammy can't deal with Honda, did HD Remix offer any positive character vs character balance?

iirc sf2 ST had various character balance issues like how Cammy can't deal with Honda, did HD Remix offer any positive character vs character balance?

It changed how every character plays in a big way, honestly. At one point in the HDR life cycle (as short as it was) Honda was actually considered the best character. Cammy got some major changes to the properties on Spin Knuckle and Hooligan was easier to perform with a new motion. They also tweaked her meter gain a lot by giving her the same amount of (insane) meter for every Cannon Drill you do, so a lot of Cammy matches turned into a chase until she got enough meter to do a Reversal Super.

Some changes were very weird and didn't turn out quite as Sirlin envisioned. Sagat being the worst one off. He got the speeds of his Tiger Shot (all 3 versions) tweaked to be "Somewhere between his ST and 'O.' version" which actually messed up his zoning game completely. They gave his Tiger Knee juggle properties, strangely, and also made it easier to perform by turning it into a SRK motion. He is a real mess of a character.

Iorv3th

Just played Turtles IV at the arcade a few weeks ago (not my first time) and with 4 player co-op the game is crap compared to Turtles in Time. Though it's an arcade version so you have to get tons of cheap shots from enemies so you keep putting quarters in.

Plays like a reskinned x-men arcade with fewer characters.

SNES version has more content and tighter controls.

I like the NES version of Guerilla War more than ports or roms of the arcade game, but I've never gotten to play the actual arcade cabinet for myself with the rotary joystick. I assume the proto-tank controls are much less counter-intuitive if played as intended, but the NES game was one of my favorites as a kid, is really quick and snappy and always had a lot of personality. In terms of look and style, it's almost a Contra situation.

AgeEighty

Rygar. The NES version added Metroidvania aspects, gear, and light RPG elements.

Phew. I was starting to think I'd get through this whole thread without anyone mentioning Rygar. One of the classic examples of a home version being far superior to the arcade.

While the graphics were not as good Street Fighter II for the consoles allowed players to pick the same fighters and go against each other which is something that the arcade never allowed.

Except that Champion Edition was already out in arcades by that time.

Glowsquid

Had a go on the TMNT IV arcade and, boy, that game is pretty bad. I honestly didn't expect that considering how much i loved Turtles in Time on the SNES... Now, the graphics look a bit better but the gameplay simply isn't a match for the SNES port. In the arcade version the hit detection is bad, the hits lack any sense of power, the Turtles skate on the floor in the middle of their combos, the combos don't always complete their animation cycle and look like using just random animations... It feels like a broken version of the SNES game. On SNES, the controls are tighter, the hit detection is great, the hits feel powerful, it's just much more satisfying to play.

This is spot-on.

By far the biggest gameplay difference, however, is that the ability to do throw toward the screen and slam Foot ninjas is completely random (or at least so sloppy it sure feels random) in the arcade version. This alone makes the SNES TMNT IV superior.

SF Rush 2049 (Dreamcast). The Dreamcast version was pure gold. It had so much more content than the original game, and added a fun medal collection mode in skatepark-inspired levels. Pretty sure it added local multiplayer, too! It was optimized, fast-loading and pure fun.

Not surprised considering they sell pretty tepid anyway, but after the hydro thunder game hit xbla I thought for sure at least a port of this would be coming. What a pity.

nkarafo

This is spot-on.

By far the biggest gameplay difference, however, is that the ability to do throw toward the screen and slam Foot ninjas is completely random (or at least so sloppy it sure feels random) in the arcade version. This alone makes the SNES TMNT IV superior.
Yes. In the SNES version, doing as high scores as possible by throwing the enemies on screen is very fun. Did many runs like this.

You don't have the same level of control in the arcade version.

PSqueak

Banned
Well, beaten by the OP, Turtles in Time is the ultimate example.

I'd also say F-zero GX, but both versions were developed simultaneously, so it's not a port, the GC version is the better of the 2.

Well, beaten by the OP, Turtles in Time is the ultimate example.

I'd also say F-zero GX, but both versions were developed simultaneously, so it's not a port, the GC version is the better of the 2.

They're companion games, so the comparison doesn't exactly work.

Oh, I've got one:
Virtua On: Oratario Tangram on the DC. They upped the production value quite a bit when moving hardware platforms, similar to what Namco has done with the TTT and Soul Calibur.

diffusionx

Gold Member
- SF Rush 2049 (Dreamcast). The Dreamcast version was pure gold. It had so much more content than the original game, and added a fun medal collection mode in skatepark-inspired levels. Pretty sure it added local multiplayer, too! It was optimized, fast-loading and pure fun.

I loved SF Rush on N64 and loved 2049 in the arcade. I don't know why I never picked up a console version! Damn, I missed out.

Glad someone mentioned Virtual On. Thought it might have been overlooked.

DOA2U was superior to the original arcade version in practically every regard.

petran79

Banned
Silk Worm (Amiga)

It added a proper ending too

Toki (Amiga)

Amiga has better music
Amiga has dual parallax in contrast to arcade version

Ghosts and Goblins (Commodore64)

Better and scarier music, shorter game but more enjoyable

Saturn VSav has characters from VH

Dreamcast makes VSav like SF2: Hyper, choosing all characters and all variants. Too bad it is not arcade accurate

gelf

Really if an arcade port has decent extra features I'll prefer it to original even if it doesn't hold up quite as well graphically in comparison. Unless they completely butcher the port of course.

Glowsquid

Oh yeah, I'm surprised I didn't think of this one sooner and that it hasn't been mentioned yet:

The arcade version of Gradius III is the Battletoads of arcade game, being a ridiculously difficult (and ridiculously long) game featuring devious traps at every corne, bosses that require very specific setups to defeat them (otherwise they're unkillable and you have to wait them out) and a edit mode that offered weapons that were either gimmicky and useless, or useless. The SNES version cut some cool content (and added some of its own), but it's a considerably more enjoyable game.

(cue someone replying "git gud")

1) UN Squadron - SNES version lets you buy multiple planes to use.

Came to post this one. It also have stage selection, new stages, new bosses and a bonus stage. It lost 2 player co-op, but the game was more a game rather than a coin-op. The music is also superior (sounds better)

Also is it really possible to call the NES Ninja Gaiden a port of the arcade game?

No. That arcade was ported to Atari Lynx and micro computers (Ocean). The NES game, like you said, is a different game.

ruiner0

Neo Member
IIRC So did the PSX ver. of Vampire Savior.
Simply put various console ver. of Vampire Savior had the VH characters.

But the Saturn used the 4MB ram cart. So that would make it arcade perfect with extras. Since the PSX had loads of frame cuts to make it fit in that 2MB ram.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Soul Calibur & Tekken Tag are possibly the best examples of this. Technically the same exact games, just insanely better looking and a ton more content on home consoles.

Top Bottom