• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade to home ports that are better than the coin-op originals

nkarafo

We all know that the DC killed the Arcade, because it has brought 3D arcade games 1:1 ports to home, and more if affinity.
It wasn't the DC's fault. Even without it, during that time, PC owners already had graphics beyond DC as well. DC was a natural progression for console hardware.

The problem was that there was no progression in Arcade hardware. When Model 2 was released, there was nothing like it in homes, no matter how much money you were willing to spend. Same with Model 3. Nothing could touch it, not even the most expensive PCs or "next gen" consoles. In fact, the latter couldn't even touch the Model 2, let alone Model 3...

But after Model 3.... the progression just stopped. Instead of a "model 4" we got Naomi, which was barely more powerful than Model 3. Arcade devs figured that with DC, they had enough power, plus it was much cheaper than using a new, custom, powerful hardware in the same style like Model 3. Not only Sega, other devs followed a similar route.

Thus, the gap between consoles and arcade graphics was much smaller than ever before and for me, that was the beginning of the end for arcades. Superior graphics, like a full generation better, was the main draw for me to go and spend money there. During 6th gen, i could barely find games that looked a bit better than my PS2 or, let alone, my Pentium 4 + Geforce 4 Ti gaming PC. Devs wanted to be cheap and they killed the arcade industry IMO.

Bebpo

Banned
The Mega Drive version of Data East's Atomic Runner (aka Chelnov) is a lot better than the arcade original.

Arcade:
0007.png

Mega Drive:
atomicrunner1.png

Arcade:
0030.png

Mega Drive:
atomicrunner8.png

Here's a good article about the game: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/chelnov/chelnov.htm

Wow, the original sure had some derpy designs.

SkylineRKR

They actually took off the shelf console hardware, added some RAM to it and used it as arcade boards.

Namco and Sega already did that with System 11 and Titan, but on top of that they had System 22 and Model 3 which was beyond consumer tech. Later on they sort of dropped the bleeding edge hardware and kept going with console based boards because its cheaper. Arcade games then begin to rely on gimmicks, such as the dance games. Probably very expensive to invest in and took a lot of space.

I do think the DC sort of hurt the arcades with ports coming out at the same time. Later on Sega and Namco backtracked from this, like Tekken still sees a 12 month gap or more.

Double Dragon 2 on the NES is infinitely better than the arcade version. Having all the Special Arts at your disposal gave the game so much depth and made you feel powerful. Loved the platforming sections too.

hqdefault.jpg

Not true sorry "infinitely" -riiiiight....
"special arts at your disposal" what special arts? the hurricane kick , elbow , smash fuuh kick were in double dragon 2 arcade too. my guess is you never fully played it TBH.

DD2 arcade game play might lack platforming, but ask anyone and they will tell you that was the most annoying thing about the dd2 port nes version.

They are both awesome (don't get me wrong)
DD2 arcade has better sound, and SFX, (which is quite awesome)graphics, and game play.
Nes has better stage deign, nice story cinematics (consoles could afford that extra time)
and has a better end boss IMO (if you beat on master mode) overall they are both great.

Grifter

That only DD that was agreeably better on console was DD3, and that's because the arcade version was such a truly bizarre, farmed out botch job with janky (even for DD) controls and power ups that cost real quarters. Arcade DD3 did still have a unique look and feel (like the poor man's Combatribes) while the DD sequels on NES maintained that DD1 aesthetic.

petran79

Banned
I own a Golden Axe arcade board. The AI in it is annoyingly stupid and will just stand attacking the air if you are horizontal to them. Golden Axe, Genesis also added a level and an additional last boss beyond the arcade's last boss. Although, the last boss on the Genesis (is that Death Adder or is Death Adder the one in the room with the king and queen?) is too difficult in my opinion.

the extra levels were in the computer game versions too.
Though there was a 50/50 chance that if you used the cracked version, game would freeze in the last stages!

woodypop

Lots of great responses in here, SF Rush 2049 and Soulcalibur are the natural ones for me, but I need to see more love for this one:

Quiz and Dragons.

In addition to the awesomely surreal quiz-based combat scenarios like this:
130507053050942418.png

They made a new version with Capcom-specific questions for its release in the Capcom Classics Collection anthologies:
hqdefault.jpg
Wow, had absolutely NO idea about this. Pretty awesome!

dr guildo

It wasn't the DC's fault. Even without it, during that time, PC owners already had graphics beyond DC as well. DC was a natural progression for console hardware.

The problem was that there was no progression in Arcade hardware. When Model 2 was released, there was nothing like it in homes, no matter how much money you were willing to spend. Same with Model 3. Nothing could touch it, not even the most expensive PCs or "next gen" consoles. In fact, the latter couldn't even touch the Model 2, let alone Model 3...

But after Model 3.... the progression just stopped. Instead of a "model 4" we got Naomi, which was barely more powerful than Model 3. Arcade devs figured that with DC, they had enough power, plus it was much cheaper than using a new, custom, powerful hardware in the same style like Model 3. Not only Sega, other devs followed a similar route.

Thus, the gap between consoles and arcade graphics was much smaller than ever before and for me, that was the beginning of the end for arcades. Superior graphics, like a full generation better, was the main draw for me to go and spend money there. During 6th gen, i could barely find games that looked a bit better than my PS2 or, let alone, my Pentium 4 + Geforce 4 Ti gaming PC. Devs wanted to be cheap and they killed the arcade industry IMO.

So the arcade death began with the DC finally, it's just what I said. And Arcade players were sensibly console players, so your PC owners story is irrelevant to the affair.

dr guildo

They actually took off the shelf console hardware, added some RAM to it and used it as arcade boards.

Namco and Sega already did that with System 11 and Titan, but on top of that they had System 22 and Model 3 which was beyond consumer tech. Later on they sort of dropped the bleeding edge hardware and kept going with console based boards because its cheaper. Arcade games then begin to rely on gimmicks, such as the dance games. Probably very expensive to invest in and took a lot of space.

I do think the DC sort of hurt the arcades with ports coming out at the same time. Later on Sega and Namco backtracked from this, like Tekken still sees a 12 month gap or more.

Exactly what I said about DC.

TMNT: Turtles In Time
Soul Calibur 1
Tekken Tag Tournament
Bionic Commando
Tecmo Bowl
Double Dragon III (NES)
Bubble Bobble
Ninja Gaiden (NES)
Rygar

Pretty much all of the Tekken console-releases have had extra characters/modes in addition to the Arcade content. It just about makes the year (or more)-long wait bearable.

Along with real endings, unlike the Arcade versions.

Coda

Not true sorry "infinitely" -riiiiight....
"special arts at your disposal" what special arts? the hurricane kick , elbow , smash fuuh kick were in double dragon 2 arcade too. my guess is you never fully played it TBH.

DD2 arcade game play might lack platforming, but ask anyone and they will tell you that was the most annoying thing about the dd2 port nes version.

They are both awesome (don't get me wrong)
DD2 arcade has better sound, and SFX, (which is quite awesome)graphics, and game play.
Nes has better stage deign, nice story cinematics (consoles could afford that extra time)
and has a better end boss IMO (if you beat on master mode) overall they are both great.

I definitely am a bit biased for the game; it as the 2nd or 3rd video game I had ever played. I think as far as skillful and challenging on the NES DD2 is a masterpiece, I still play it on my Wii U from time to time. DD2 Arcade just basically feels like too cheesy and weird in it's game speed to feel as good as DD2 on the NES IMO, it just feels like a better game on the NES in terms of game feel not graphics. There's something about the more muted but colorful backgrounds and pacing of the NES version as well, it's just less boring to me, especially with the tough platforming sections. It encourages more plays than than the arcade version does. I could see how the argument could be made for either game but I just prefer the NES one.

Top Bottom