• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade to home ports that are better than the coin-op originals

@MUWANdo

Banned
Wasn't Outrun on the Saturn better than the arcade because of the 60fps improvement?

It does have 60FPS visuals (but not game logic/response time) but they were achieved via interpolation so it's kinda offputting and not all that natural.

3D Outrun on 3DS is a true 60FPS upgrade.

GrayFoxBH

-

- SF Rush 2049 (Dreamcast). The Dreamcast version was pure gold. It had so much more content than the original game, and added a fun medal collection mode in skatepark-inspired levels. Pretty sure it added local multiplayer, too! It was optimized, fast-loading and pure fun.
One of the best racing games ever made. Still play it on my Dreamcast.

LayLa

Bloody Wolf for the PCE/TG16 (arcade version also known as Battle Rangers)

The home version removes the second player option, but in its favor it gains an extra level, more varied music with full length tracks, bigger levels, better level design etc. making it a much better gaming experience.

Renekton

Phew. I was starting to think I'd get through this whole thread without anyone mentioning Rygar. One of the classic examples of a home version being far superior to the arcade.
Well the port is so different they might as well be different titles.

Time Crisis ps1 added in a completely new story and area to play through so you had the original hidden base and now a shopping mall to shoot through.

Coda

Double Dragon 2

Double Dragon 2 on the NES is infinitely better than the arcade version. Having all the Special Arts at your disposal gave the game so much depth and made you feel powerful. Loved the platforming sections too.

hqdefault.jpg

MoxManiac

Apart from allowing 4 players to play at the same time and the slightly better graphics and sound, what else do you like more about the Arcade version?

Honestly, the 4 player aspect is enough by itself to make the arcade version superior. These games were defined by people crowding around them in the arcade.

STG!

Was just discussing with my brother that Mars Matrix on Dreamcast was way better than the arcade version: it removes the counterstop (and slightly changes some enemy point values iirc), VGA output, a remixed soundtrack that was way better than the minimalist arcade soundtrack, plus a ton of extra content including a couple very fun arrange modes.

My only problem with the TTT PS2 port is that a lot of combo's didn't translate over correctly or had different (usually smaller) timings, so it was a bit off if you played the game extensively in the arcades with decent competition. Still a day-1 port purchase otherwise!

GuyKazama

Final Fight CD. Colors may not have been as good, but it made up for it with the music and voiceovers. Also, there was no censoring in it.

AmyS

Soul Calibur & Tekken Tag are possibly the best examples of this. Technically the same exact games, just insanely better looking and a ton more content on home consoles.

Again, yes, absolutely.

Soul Calibur and Tekken Tag are among the very best examples of this.

There are a lot of examples in this thread that I do not agree with because while many have additional content, or were totally changed in other ways, it's impossible to get over the fact that they're inferior to the coin-op in other ways, almost always graphics and audio wise.

SNK was really on the ball with their NeoGeo to PS2 ports, especially KoF. Arranged music, color edit, new 3D backgrounds, and new characters. I think the most drastic improvement was KoF 2001. Their only fluke was their Last Blade 2 port.
I can't see 3D backgrounds as an improvement though. Beautiful 2D art trumps 2D-3D mixups any day IMHO

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Silk Worm (Amiga)

It added a proper ending too

True.

Toki (Amiga)

Amiga has better music
Amiga has dual parallax in contrast to arcade version

Absolutely, it looked much much better with more colors, better sprites and afaik better resolution with a different aspect ratio having more horizontal screen estate.

Ghosts and Goblins (Commodore64)

Better and scarier music, shorter game but more enjoyable

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Wait, you're serious?! Because GnG arcade is a fucking masterpiece, and besides CH's intro music the C-64 port compares to it like a piece of shit does to a Toblerone's brick

Final Fight CD. Colors may not have been as good, but it made up for it with the music and voiceovers. Also, there was no censoring in it.

That port also toned down the amount of enemies. Certainly better than the SNES version, but in no way is it superior to the arcade original.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Radiant Silvergun.

As far as I know the arcade version lacked all the voice acting and story moments and had fewer bosses.

Crazy Taxi added a second city or neighborhood.

Sega bass fishing added modes and areas.

As someone who still owns Turtles in Time for the SNES the arcade version is just better. It has 4 players for one and much better animation.

The SNES version is too easy since you can manually control the enemy slam move and knock out like half the screen, and it's easily abused. Not to mention the SNES version turned Sewer Surfin and Neon Night Riders into mini games instead of full levels like the arcade.

As someone who still owns Turtles in Time for the SNES the arcade version is just better. It has 4 players for one and much better animation.

The SNES version is too easy since you can manually control the enemy slam move and knock out like half the screen, and it's easily abused. Not to mention the SNES version turned Sewer Surfin and Neon Night Riders into mini games instead of full levels like the arcade.

I feel like Sewer Surfin SNES kinda balances out by adding Rat King, even if he is easy as hell. Neon Night Riders is definitely a joke compared to the Arcade version, though.

I feel like there's probably never going to be a general consensus with Turtles in Time, haha.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TMNT IV, Soul Calibur, Double Dragon II are the truth.

Gauntlet Legends and Dark Legacy are good examples. Not because they add anything new, nor do they look that different, but because Gauntlet plays much better when your health isn't constantly draining and you need to feed it tokens or else.

- SF Rush 2049 (Dreamcast). The Dreamcast version was pure gold. It had so much more content than the original game, and added a fun medal collection mode in skatepark-inspired levels. Pretty sure it added local multiplayer, too! It was optimized, fast-loading and pure fun.

To my knowledge the arcade game only runs at 30FPS while the Dreamcast game runs at 60FPS for the most part.

Virtua Fighter Remix was an arcade game, actually. The arcade game and Saturn game are virtually (heh) identical except in load times. The arcade version is superior in that instance.

Virtua Fighter Remix was designed for the Sega Saturn first though, as it was basically Sega's response to the mediocre reception of their original port of Virtua Fighter for the Saturn. The arcade version of the game uses the Sega Titan Video hardware, which is the arcade variant of the Sega Saturn.

3) Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max - Characters from SF3 and CvS2 plus Ingrid, all of which now have their own endings. Also, less loading times.

Less loading? Than the arcade? I don't know about that. Plus, this was a port of Alpha 3 Upper in Japanese arcades I believe with one additional PSP exclusive character? Either way, there is one glaring issue that means it could never be better than the arcade version... the controls! It was fine on a PSP2000 or beyond, but Street Fighter needs an arcade stick or at least 6 face buttons.

The same is true for many games that have added modes etc like Time Crisis. Yes, it might be better in terms of features than the arcade originals but home versions of light gun games have never been better than arcade versions when all is said and done because it simply feels better to play the arcade versions.

There was also a bit of a weird loop with some of these games. There was arcade Soul Calibur > Dreamcast > then Dreamcast version found it's way back to arcades! For a few years there most arcade machines had Dreamcast guts.

Ninja Dom

Double Dragon 2

I don't even know what to post ...I love both....the OP is cruel person for doing this to me.
It's like I'm fighting my self right now about this.

tUQDNJQ.png

FTzjego.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRVngJ1Yk_4

The final boss/stage/music was the best. The b/w slo mo end blew me and my friend away the first time we saw it.

Double Dragon 2 on the NES is infinitely better than the arcade version. Having all the Special Arts at your disposal gave the game so much depth and made you feel powerful. Loved the platforming sections too.

hqdefault.jpg

Arcade Double Dragon 2 music is God Tier. Amongst the best music to come out of arcades in the 80's. I'm not arguing. Fucking supreme.

And this soundtrack here? This track? This track? OMG! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsNmnR-tA-o

Crisis Zone got a similar visual upgrade for PS2 IIRC.

Way worse debris / environment physics. Enemy damage reactions were more dynamic and limb specific in the arcade version than on the PS2 version. Really canned.

HOTD 4 PS3 > HOTD 4 Arcade if you are a casual fan. The Shaprshooter is way more comfortable than that damn cherry red uzi AND you can aim grenades with the handle trigger instead of the crap button near the nose of the gun.

Tradeoffisnoticiablyworseprecision *cough cough*

I just thought of a relatively recent one, though the arcade original was exclusive to Japan, outside of any place that imported the cabinet: Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom.

Tech wise, Cross Generation of Heroes was more or less identical to it's Wii release, since the arcade version was developed on Wii based hardware. As far as content goes, the home version of Cross Generation of Heroes had four exclusive characters, and a bunch of mini-games added to it. Ultimate All-Stars removed one character but added five in it's place, removed all but one mini-game and redesigned it into a more fleshed out game, and added (now defunct) online play on top of that. Capcom really went above and beyond for those home ports.

nkarafo

Toki (Amiga)

Amiga has better music
Amiga has dual parallax in contrast to arcade version
I think i have to disagree with this.

Judging from the first couple of levels: The colors in the Amiga version are better for the backgrounds but much worse on the foreground and sprites. Also, the arcade version has more natural colors while the Amiga looks a bit more "cartoony". I prefer the more earthly/natural color approach in this game.

The music is probably better in the Amiga, but the sound effects are bad. Arcade sound effects are pretty unique actually and kinda funny. Also, i don't know where the "dual parallax" comes from. Both versions have a foreground and one layer of parallax. At least in the first few levels.

Dreamcast rule in this realm!!

Soul Calibur
The King Of Fighters 99 Dream Match
The King Of Fighter 99 Evolution
Mortal Kombat Gold
Tech Romancer
Plasma Sword
Dynamite Cop

tasos

Crazy Taxi on dc was practically the arcade version . You got the arcade version in your living room .

mclem

Unquestionably the two best examples are punch out! And bionic commando. Both games are far, far better In their nes incarnations

Both games are fundamentally different games in their nes incarnation. I'm not sure that should count.

Lots of mentions of 3D Outrun, but it's worth bearing in mind that M2 worked wonders with others, too. In particular, Galaxy Force 2 is stunning.

EBreda

-

Frame rate was all over the place, though. I clearly remember going from 60 to mid 20s on some of the tracks. But yes, overall it was an amazing version of the arcade game and the 4 player split screen sealed the deal. Loved it.

Edit: Cray Taxi on the DC added a new area and a new mode (collect hearts or coins can't remember). Better than arcade!

Daytona USA on the DC had much better graphics than the arcade version, more tracks and cars, no pop up whatsoever. Online play was icing on the cake. And worked perfectly with wheels.

Actually, I'm gonna go on a limb here and say that pretty much every DC port of Sega arcade games is better on the console. Best machine ever.

gelf

When you start considering music it can get complicated in the CD era of home consoles. Many had better sound then the arcade version. Valuing music and sound more then most it makes my decision on the preferred version to play more complicated.

Best example of this I can think of is the Saturn version of Sega Rally. The arcade soundtrack feels very lacking in comparison and I really miss the Saturn music when playing even its the better version in any other way.

nkarafo

Actually, I'm gonna go on a limb here and say that pretty much every DC port of Sega arcade games is better on the console. Best machine ever.
Except Model 3 ports...

Which reminds me. I still can't find a definitive answer about which board is more powerful. Model 3 or Naomi? The Dreamcast is basically a Naomi (or more like the other way around) with less RAM. Naomi ports are pretty much perfect. But Model 3 ports, not so much. And from what i have seen, Model 3 games are more impressive than Naomi. I'd say the Model 3 goes right between the Naomi and the Naomi 2, in terms of graphics. Is that correct?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Except Model 3 ports...

Which reminds me. I still can't find a definitive answer about which board is more powerful. Model 3 or Naomi? The Dreamcast is basically a Naomi (or more like the other way around) with less RAM. Naomi ports are pretty much perfect. But Model 3 ports, not so much. And from what i have seen, Model 3 games are more impressive than Naomi. I'd say the Model 3 goes right between the Naomi and the Naomi 2, in terms of graphics. Is that correct?
naomi is more powerful
model 3 ports are bad because the architecture was different/stuff was rushed for launch

EBreda

Except Model 3 ports...

While the CPU of the NAOMI and Dreamcast operate at the same clock speed (clock frequency), the NAOMI packs twice as much system and graphics memory, four times as much sound memory, a higher PowerVR2 clock rate, faster VRAM bandwidth (125 MHz,[2][3] compared to the Dreamcast's 100 MHz), and FPGA providing additional processing. Multiple NAOMI boards can also be 'stacked' together to achieve better graphics performance or for a multi-monitor setup.

So I believe Naomi was more powerful than Model 3, but DC had an easier time running Naomi ports because they share the same architecture.

nkarafo

I don't know guys... i haven't seen stuff like Scud Race or even Sega Rally 2 on the Naomi. Model 3 looks like its a better polygon pusher to me.

Naomi 2 yes, that's definitely more powerful.

That port also toned down the amount of enemies. Certainly better than the SNES version, but in no way is it superior to the arcade original.

The Sega CD version was still not arcade perfect, but it is a big improvement over the SNES game in almost every respect. The sprites are bigger, there is way less flicker and slowdown, a lot of smaller details that are absent from the SNES game are there in the Sega CD port (missing phone booths, breakable objects, animated background objects, etc). All three characters are there, and the Sega CD game does have 2 player co-op and the missing levels and bosses from the SNES game. The only area where it didn't look better than the SNES port was the colour palette.

I don't know guys... i haven't seen stuff like Scud Race or even Sega Rally 2 on the Naomi. Model 3 looks like its a better polygon pusher to me.

There are different versions of Model 3 hardware, Step 1, Step 1.5, Step 2 and Step 2.1.

Step 1 theoretical hardware numbers are:
Raw polygons: 4 million triangles/sec
Textured polygons: 2,000,200 triangles/sec (1,000,100 quads/sec), with Gouraud shading, translucency, anti-aliasing, fog, lighting and Z-buffering

While Step 2 theoretical numbers:
Raw polygons: 15 million triangles/sec
Textured polygons: 6 million triangles/sec (3 million quads/sec), with Gouraud shading, translucency, anti-aliasing, fog, lighting and Z-buffering

Naomi theoretical performance numbers:
Raw: 11 million polygons/sec (130 FLOPS per polygon)
More than 10 million polygons/sec: Lighting (140 FLOPS per polygon)
9.3 million polygons/sec: Lighting, textures, trilinear filtering
7 million polygons/sec: Lighting, textures, shadows, trilinear filtering
6 million polygons/sec: Lighting, textures, trilinear filtering, Gouraud shading (243 FLOPS per polygon)
3.3 million polygons/sec: Lighting, textures, trilinear filtering, Gouraud shading, bump mapping (430 FLOPS

This was all taken from here: http://segaretro.org/Sega_Model_3 and here: http://segaretro.org/Sega_NAOMI

But then again, there are all sorts of other factors to take into account when comparing these two architectures.

Skimmed through most of the topic, but my votes go to:
Ninja Gaiden (NES)
Punch-Out (NES)
Contra (NES)

Also going to add Double Dragon (PS4). The arcade version was slow and had clunky controls. The PS4 version improves on that.

Grifter

Less loading? Than the arcade? I don't know about that. Plus, this was a port of Alpha 3 Upper in Japanese arcades I believe with one additional PSP exclusive character? Either way, there is one glaring issue that means it could never be better than the arcade version... the controls! It was fine on a PSP2000 or beyond, but Street Fighter needs an arcade stick or at least 6 face buttons.

The same is true for many games that have added modes etc like Time Crisis. Yes, it might be better in terms of features than the arcade originals but home versions of light gun games have never been better than arcade versions when all is said and done because it simply feels better to play the arcade versions.

There was also a bit of a weird loop with some of these games. There was arcade Soul Calibur > Dreamcast > then Dreamcast version found it's way back to arcades! For a few years there most arcade machines had Dreamcast guts.
This is so on point. Dreamcast is the cutoff for when home consoles caught up with arcades (and expedited their US death knell). Prior to that, there were myriad compromises in graphics, animation, sound, music, for almost every port that hurt the experience if you were coming from arcade. Even if the game was expanded for home versions, there was inherently so much ground to make up.

I realized (later than I'd like to admit) at some point that for surviving difficult games like shmups, nothing beats the joystick attached to that heavy cabinet. The guns and petals on those Time Crisis machines just felt so right.

Fighters priors DC also got way more acceptable ports beginning at the PS1 generation (those Saturn RAM carts), but gameplay would be just off enough to conflict with arcade (and back then, competitive) standards.

Even when technically better, many of these game can't match the experience, even fighters to this day. Calling out NBA Jam was particularly egregious. Crowding around that huge arcade screen with its music and announcer blaring (not to mention its way superior graphics to early ports) made that version better.
Arcade Double Dragon 2 music is God Tier. Amongst the best music to come out of arcades in the 80's. I'm not arguing. Fucking supreme.

And this soundtrack here? This track? This track? OMG! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsNmnR-tA-o

Right on! I still loop this DD2 track in the background during work. Arcade Jimmy rocked that silver vest so fuckin' hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeC10Wu_2UQ

But i never have seen any game, on any genre on Model 3 that looks at the level of Test Drive Le Mans Dreamcast, Ferrari F335, Ikaruga or DOA 2. This, talking about Arcade games...In domestic system style games...i don´t think that Model 3 has power to handle a 1:1 game of the complexity of Shenmue 1 and 2.

Dreamcast rule in this realm!!
Mortal Kombat Gold

What am I reading here? MK Gold is quite possibly the worst and most broken (technically, not balance) games on the system, let alone in the franchise.

Extra characters does not a better game make. On that note...

Street Fighter Alpha 3 Double Upper (arcade name) and Max (PSP name) really made Alpha 3 a snooze fest. Once V-ish got neutered and all of the balance changes happened, it really made the game suck. While it's beyond broken (balance), I much prefer the original Alpha 3.

What am I reading here? MK Gold is quite possibly the worst and most broken (technically, not balance) games on the system, let alone in the franchise.

Extra characters does not a better game make. On that note....

MK Gold is far from being a top Dreamcast game (and let alone a 128 bits worth game)...But is ahead of any version of MK 4, incluiding the original Arcade title. Which make it fit into the condition of Ports of Arcade games that are beyond the quality of the original. Like it or not, MK Gold still offers the best way to play MK 4, until today.

The Sega CD version was still not arcade perfect, but it is a big improvement over the SNES game in almost every respect. The sprites are bigger, there is way less flicker and slowdown, a lot of smaller details that are absent from the SNES game are there in the Sega CD port (missing phone booths, breakable objects, animated background objects, etc). All three characters are there, and the Sega CD game does have 2 player co-op and the missing levels and bosses from the SNES game. The only area where it didn't look better than the SNES port was the colour palette.

I agree. What I'm saying is that that's irrelevant, because even with that in mind, it's still not as good as the arcade version.

lazygecko

I would rather pick the GBA version Final Fight One. It was based on the SNES port I think but fixed most of the problems it had like lacking characters, and de-censored enemies, and it also added tons of fun unlockable content. I especially liked unlocking the SFA3 versions of Cody and Guy, and playing with them actually changed the story a bit too.

PSqueak

Banned

It evens out with the extra bosses (Rat King, Beebop and Rocksteady, POV mode Shredder) and extra Technodrome level (where they put Tokkar and Razza to make the pirate ship boss fight available for a new fight). Plus i feel the original AC Sewer surfing was a bad level. And while we're at that i liked Slash better as a boss in Prehistoric Turtlesaurus than Cement Man, Slash was noticeably harder.

LaserHawk

My Turtles In Time vote goes for the SNES version. I absolutely loved that level where you throw foot soldiers toward the screen in order to attack Shredder, and from what I remember it was only on the SNES version. The other extra content was pretty nice, too.

Top Bottom