• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black ops 3 : pay for COD points to gamble for new guns = a new low point

Its funny you have no idea what you are talking about.

I have almost 40,000 kills in multiplayer, presitige master level 115....

There are currently 3 new weapons in supply drops and I have not had one of them. 4 months of playing every night and nothing.....

Cod Youtubers have dropped 100's of dollars on packs, opening lots of boxes and got no weapons...

lol, that's not how RNG works.

If players spending 100s of dollars of real money aren't getting the drops either, what's the problem?

lol, that's not how RNG works.

If players spending 100s of dollars of real money aren't getting the drops either, what's the problem?
It encourages people to spend money on drops. Rather than sell the weapon's for something like $2 a pop, it's completely random if you'll ever get them and people can waste hundreds of dollars getting them. It's a tad unethical.

If there was no way to spend real money on drops (like it was at launch) or if the weapons were sold individually for a set price this wouldn't be a real problem.

Treyarch straight up lied about this. They said that drops would be cosmetic only and that you wouldn't be able to buy them. When the latter was broken we should have expected the former.

rrs

It's a scummy move for sure and is in the same vein of Destiny. Only select lucky players will get to use these weapons, most of which seem really cool & powerful.

However, I'm not totally against this decision; it definitely creates admiration & awe towards these lucky players by making these weapons truly rare, similar to what Destiny did with weapons like Thorn or Gjallarhorn. As painful as it is to accept, these weapons would be excruciatingly dull if they were simply added to the main game since everyone can access them (even if they must first complete challenges or whatever).
Super rare shock and awe skins are fine but when it comes to a PvP loadout based game, exclusive weapons with different stats bring complaints of pay to win users being better because of a superior exclusive weapon alone which won't fly for a $60 + map pack game.

No_Style

From the perspective of someone who doesn't pay for multiplayer maps or content, adding these to the roulette wheel that is the Black Market gives me some chance to get this stuff whereas with BF4 and its new weapons tied to each DLC pack, I have no chance.

DICE managed the DLC weapons well enough. I don't ever recall any of them being overpowered; they were just different. One would hope Treyarch handles it the same way.

RexNovis

Banned
Kristen-Wiigs-Sarcastic-No-Way-Comment-On-Saturday-Night-Live.gif

As if people didn't see this coming.

xRaizen

I would much rather have this than AW's weapon variant system. The fact that I can earn keys just for playing the game normally makes me laugh at those who would pay to open supply drops. The people who are willing to pay that much money for the chance to get a new weapon aren't, excluding youtubers/twitch streamers, the ones who are going to play the game for long anyway.

And again, even if the M2 Rifle has a faster TTK than the Sheiva, you still have to aim pretty well to use a semi auto in this game. Most people aren't sweaty players with 2+ K/D. Most don't have the ability to aim well enough nor have a trigger finger good enough to use semi auto rifles.

None of these weapons will make a bad player good, and pros will keep using their SMG's for 70% of the maps. None of the weapons are OP like the weapon variants in AW were (Speakeasy/Obsidian Steed, anyone?).

breadtruck

I play on the PS3 so I dont have to worry about any of these fancy new weapons, haha. But I dig that rifle with the M1 Garand reload "ping." Id never pay for it, but I dig it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Black Ops III is a great CoD that they seem hell bent on ruining for some reason.

J-Rzez

Wow, Kottick is a genius. When asked if he thinks CoD should be retail price plus dlc or F2P he just said, "why not both?". And here we are. Retail game with dlc and shifty F2P P2W money=time antics. Crazy the game was pretty good at launch too. This won't stop until people stop throwing money at it but many plebs will continue to do this, including people who should know better on gaf. Then you have all those E-Stars on Twitch and YT with their thousands in gold/currency and people donating money to them to buy stuff on the spot, crazy times.

I hope the next battlefield doesn't do something like this, it would be a dark day.

What was once a great game has essentially been ruined by this BS. I had faith in 3arc that they would keep their word and make SDs cosmetic only, but here we are with several weapons locked behind a slot machine.

From the perspective of someone who doesn't pay for multiplayer maps or content, adding these to the roulette wheel that is the Black Market gives me some chance to get this stuff whereas with BF4 and its new weapons tied to each DLC pack, I have no chance.

DICE managed the DLC weapons well enough. I don't ever recall any of them being overpowered; they were just different. One would hope Treyarch handles it the same way.

Trust me, with how low the chances are to get these items in the loot table, you'd be lucky to be using even one unless you spend thousands of hours in the game or spend cash. Just look at all the supply drops people have been opening for these weapons. The drop rates are abysmal. They are designed to make you spend money.

So I've bought cod points in the past for the visual only stuff. I've probably dumped $100 in. I love blops 3, its a great game so I had no problems with that. You get a few dupes or shitty drops but whatever. I decided maybe the drop rates aren't so bad so I plunked down $20 which equals 10 rare supply drops, through burning dupe items and bonus points I ended up with 13 supply drops overall. I didn't get one new weapon. Not. Fucking. One.

I would highly suggest everyone take to twitter and @treyarchstudio and tell them what bullshit this is. This will never change unless the community speaks out.

Hazaku

I understand the OP's frustration.

They really should've just included the weapons as part of the first map pack (especially since the maps are ass).

At least they haven't resorted to introducing weapon variants similar to what AW offered I suppose ...

xRaizen

So I've bought cod points in the past for the visual only stuff. I've probably dumped $100 in. I love blops 3, its a great game so I had no problems with that. You get a few dupes or shitty drops but whatever. I decided maybe the drop rates aren't so bad so I plunked down $20 which equals 10 rare supply drops, through burning dupe items and bonus points I ended up with 13 supply drops overall. I didn't get one new weapon. Not. Fucking. One.

I would highly suggest everyone take to twitter and @treyarchstudio and tell them what bullshit this is. This will never change unless the community speaks out.

You were never guaranteed the weapons, you have just as much chance as the guy who spends $1000 or the guy who spends none and gets it with earned cryptokeys.

joecanada

Unfortunately, until people stop buying it, it's never going to stop.

And people will keep buying.

I can't even remember when cod servers were even serviceable but people eat it up anyway the amount of money they make all people would have to do is hold out for 2 months and they could demand anything. But nope let's just keep buying the same exact thing. And I've been a fan since cod4 but I just can't do it anymore not this gen

Dubz

Or you can not be lazy and just play matches to earn cryptokeys. You are not forced to buy COD Points. If you are complaining about it, you're just being lazy. It's like saying SFV is forcing you to spend money on DLC characters, when it isn't at all. THey can be earned via gameplay.
My issue is not about the DLC, it's about the gambling aspect. People should just be able to buy the gun they want with one transaction. The gambling shit is just preying on people's psychological weaknesses. It's preadatory bullshit.

Should have known this would happen when the trayarch logo animation was cut just to few seconds and activisions one was left full time when you boot up the game! :-D

joecanada

You just plunked down what 120 on Blops 3 with season pass and now some gambling stuff and now that you didn't get what you wanted you want to take to Twitter to protest?
You already voted with your wallet and they heard you loud and clear.

maybe it's a new low for COD, I guess? not really an active COD player in general

but between some of the ways BF4, BF Hardline, Payday promote buying weapons (or important weapon upgrades) or buying 'random upgrade packs', this doesn't seem any more low... perhaps for BLOPs 3, I guess? but seems pretty typical of most FPS these days.

just mean, I'm not really surprised nor does it seem any more odd than what other games are doing.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Are these weapons game changers? Unless they are literally top tier, it doesn't bug me.

The logical assumption would be that these games would get better the more money the developer/publisher makes (like Rockstar and GTA) but NO Activision games get worse, much worse and with less content! How can this be? Oh yea the drones that keep buying this shit!

Carry on then.

MrBlonde

My issue is not about the DLC, it's about the gambling aspect. People should just be able to buy the gun they want with one transaction. The gambling shit is just preying on people's psychological weaknesses. It's preadatory bullshit.
Yep that's my problem, u want to add content fine but let me straight up buy it! It's all luck and it's bullshit.... I bought cod points for the first time tonight, I spent $20 and trust me it won't happen again, no weapons and some cool skins but for guns I don't use so pretty much just a waste. At least give us season pass holders the new guns or at least one supply drop that guarantees us one of them or something

xRaizen

The logical assumption would be that these games would get better the more money the developer/publisher makes (like Rockstar and GTA) but NO Activision games get worse, much worse and with less content! How can this be? Oh yea the drones that keep buying this shit!

Carry on then.
Less content? Have you even played Black Ops 3?

Three

So is Activision to blame how BO3 and Destiny are becoming this way???

Considering this is published by them then sure but it's not like this is an Activision thing only if that's what you're suggesting. These random packs are in a lot of EA and MS games too.from Fifa to Halo no game is safe from this model.I would say the people who spend money on these things are to blame. I absolutely hate this trend but people are free to spend their own money on whatever they please.

It's honestly one of the best COD games for multiplayer. Can't say the same for single player though.

I've never played any of the games, but a bunch of my friends have it so I thought it would be fun to have something to play with them. Would you say its worth for that?

Natels

Let me begin by saying that I don't aprove this - of course.

But this isn't like AW where you could get better versions of the weapons. Bigger chance of getting them if you buy supply drops.

In this case while the guns might be fun to use, they are garbage compared to the default ones. It has been this way since the start of the DLC weapons.

This isn't pay to win, it's pay to lose lol

Yoday

To this day I still think Mass Effect 3 handled all of this the best. They sold chests for random loot, but the chests could also be earned through gameplay at a fair rate and all maps were free.

xRaizen

To this day I still think Mass Effect 3 handled all of this the best. They sold chests for random loot, but the chests could also be earned through gameplay at a fair rate and all maps were free.
You earn cryptokeys at a pretty decent rate, lol. I open a supply drop every 1.5 hours or so.

TheFatMan

You can earn the chests in BOPs3 by just playing as well. It's just significantly slower and the RNG makes it pretty annoying.

I haven't purchased any CODPoints, and the 10 or so chests I've unlocked have yielded me mostly shit I didn't want. I got one cool ice camo for a gun I use frequently, and a hillarious 1st place taunt for Reaper. Out of like 30 items. Everything else is pretty much a waste of time.

Yeah. Just as bad as the wall running etc. I really would love to see COD go back to its roots.

Yeah, screw 15 years of progress, lets go back to WW2. No thanks.

Sword is just a melee weapon skin. It shouldn't be a surprise to people who play Black Ops 3 because there is a reaper class in the game...

If all the paid weapons are just a fun weapon (outclassed by standard), then the game is better for it. If paid weapons are comparable, then Activision is breaking the balance. If better, then it is getting close to gambling for advantage.

All in all, the more content they add to Black Market, the better it is. Love animations, camos and weapon skins. I open around 1 chest per 1h of gameplay, which is three drops. Better than CSGO 1 drop every 3 maps for 0.01$.

Except the free maps, this is how it works in black ops 3.

Isn't the season pass 50 goddamn dollars?

yup $110 dollars for the game and season pass and you don't even get all the content in the game. I can't believe people are actually defending this shit. I'm a huge cod multiplayer fan and this is the last nail in the coffin for me.

I was reading a Reddit thread and fazekross a youtuber spent $200 on stream today and got only the crossbow none of the other new guns or melee weapons. This is not how you treat paying customers.

Also the crossbow is OP according to some youtubers. So it does look like pay to win which is not surprising coming from Activision.

http://youtu.be/3VPHKhFz09k

Ehh I mean they allow you to earn and use cryptokeys to open the packages without spending money so its not really a big deal. Youtubers doing case opening and whales are really the main ones spending money on it.

I don't like that I have to play the RNG game to unlock the new weapons but I enjoy the game enough to deal with it. I prefer them adding new weapons this way rather than locking them behind dlc/season pass.

Top Bottom