• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black ops 3 : pay for COD points to gamble for new guns = a new low point

geordiemp

COD community in uproar as Activsion and treyarc use mobile type cod points to spin that gambling wheel to get new guns in the black market.

And they said the black market gambling was cosmetic only...how things change

https://www.callofduty.com/blackops3/black-market

The web site shows 3 of the new guns. COD pay to win....Also showing them in action ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRoNOp2390U

This is a new low for call of duty especially for season pass holders, and my concern is that this opens the floodgates for other developers if one of the biggest titles can go this low.

What does GAF think ?

Bluenoser

COD community in uproar as Activsion and treyarc use mobile type cod points to spin that gambling wheel to get new guns in the black market.

And they said the black market gambling was cosmetic only...how things change

https://www.callofduty.com/blackops3/black-market

The web site shows 3 of the new guns. COD pay to win....Also showing them in action ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRoNOp2390U

This is a new low for call of duty especially for season pass holders, and my concern is that this opens the floodgates for other developers if one of the biggest titles can go this low.

What does GAF think ?

Wonder if you have any chance at all of acquiring these with Cryptokeys. No way I'm spending any RL money to have a chance - I'll keep buying rare supply drops with cryptokeys as I earn them, and if I never have any luck, oh well.

Fry-Im-Shocked-Futurama.gif

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
ignorance at it's finest.
you can use crypto keys to run the gambit also, it's not just based on codpoints..

I thought it was bad enough as it is, although I quite enjoy saving up to see what I get, lol. But now they've added guns to the things, that is bullshit. Activision already make a ton off CoD, it's just pure greed adding this kind of F2P shit in now.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
This thread made me realized that blops3 is still in my PS4 and I haven't played it in a few weeks. I should try to shoot a dude this weekend.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Advanced Warfare did it last year. They actually had better versions of guns hidden behind these care packages.

This is pretty bad though. Why cant they just give the guns away to the people who have been loyally playing the game everyday for months now?

I am glad i traded it in.

Skittles

Saying it's pay to win is really reaching. Considering that pistol sucks ass and the m2 is basically a reskin of the shieva. The crossbow would probably be better if there was no boosting in this game. Still though, it's pretty shitty to release these as a crate drop even if you can get them without paying a dime

Hikami

Well I'm done with this game.

you can use crypto keys to run the gambit also, it's not just based on codpoints..
You can play the game everyday 24/7 grinding for cryptokeys and still not get a single weapon from the crates since you'll just get duplicates most of the time.

Yeah you can but this is slowly changing into the situation with Advanced Warfare. People are gonna really want those new guns and are 9/10 drop hella cash to get it. Then multiplayer is gonna be unbalanced again because you'll have people running around with guns that are only possible to get through the supply drops, I mean that one-shot pistol is already OP as fuck.

This is going to be a huge problem if they continue adding guns, I don't mind the melee weapons but leave the guns alone.

I don't mean for this to come across like a shitpost, but as an old person who mostly checked out some time after COD4, the incoherence of a post like this makes me wonder what the fuck this series even is these days.

kiguel182

Wait, the weapons have different stats? That's fucked up if true after all the talk of "cosmetic only ". Especially since they are still selling map packs.

EDIT: Apparently you can buy it with crypto keys. Still, this makes me to not want to spend money on the dlc packs since they are trying to make money out of the players with every move they make. The base game is good enough either way.

Lebneney

Banned
Yeah you can but this is slowly changing into the situation with Advanced Warfare. People are gonna really want those new guns and are 9/10 drop hella cash to get it. Then multiplayer is gonna be unbalanced again because you'll have people running around with guns that are only possible to get through the supply drops, I mean that one-shot pistol is already OP as fuck.

This is going to be a huge problem if they continue adding guns, I don't mind the melee weapons but leave the guns alone.

IIRC some guy dropped $400 on COD points to get the wrench skin on the knife.

Skittles

Please don't speak about gun balance if you've never played the game. A pistol with only one shot that has no fast mag attachment is not OP; the range is pretty awful for the OHK range too.

Crash331

I was really big into Modern Warfare and blops 2, but I usually don't buy cod every year, so the usual complain of the game being stale doesn't really bother me, blops 3 is the most fun I've had with cod in a long time. I even bought the season pass which I rarely do. I didn't mind the black market system as it was, with emotes and skins, because you seemed to unlock them at an OK pace that still gave you progression once you maxed out, but putting guns behind it is pretty lame.

Daffy Duck

I am annoyed the new weapons are hidden in these drops, I never get weapons at all,I'm just glad we don't have OP variants like AW had hidden in there too, that's one of the reasons I gave up on AW.

I'm sure Vahn said the Black market would be cosmetic only, this is disappointing.

I don't mean for this to come across like a shitpost, but as an old person who mostly checked out some time after COD4, the incoherence of a post like this makes me wonder what the fuck this series even is these days.

It's a money pit is what it is now.

They've got it made, you tubers do their bidding for them by getting them to sink thousands into these supply drops so people see all the gear and then they spend hundreds trying to get the new things, it's really quiet clever, very scummy, but very clever.

CryptiK

But guys Treyarch never lie and COD Blops 3 will save the series

/s

Its pretty clear COD is dying. And ever since they moved to twitch with PS4, they haven't been able to lie about viewer numbers(thanks MLG) and its clearly not a very big thing as its made out to be.

I think it's well established that anyone in the industry can shoehorn microtransactions and it won't hurt them all that much. Even if people don't like them, worst case scenario they'll just not bother, but they won't lose sales from this.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Glad I got out, then. To be fair, the honeymoon period for this game was longer, about 2 months, where as it was 1-2 weeks for the last 4 games.

Please don't speak about gun balance if you've never played the game. A pistol with only one shot that has no fast mag attachment is not OP; the range is pretty awful for the OHK range too.
I have over 70 hours in the game how can you tell me gun balance and yes a pistol with only one shot that can one shot people is OP if you can use it right despite the range and reload time :l

Or you can not be lazy and just play matches to earn cryptokeys. You are not forced to buy COD Points. If you are complaining about it, you're just being lazy. It's like saying SFV is forcing you to spend money on DLC characters, when it isn't at all. THey can be earned via gameplay.

Kei-

That's beside the point I think. If these guns are not just cosmetically different from the ones you get in-game, then it becomes pay-to-win afaic, because you can spend money to improve your chances at getting better gear.

General question, how is this legal in states where gambling isn't allowed btw? Stuff like supply drops, and crate opening are becoming prevalent, especially in multiplayer games. How is this any different than playing slots? But I know some states that don't allow gambling do allow chance games like slots, probably how they get to do it. Maybe someone can provide a better answer.

Or you can not be lazy and just play matches to earn cryptokeys. You are not forced to buy COD Points. If you are complaining about it, you're just being lazy. It's like saying SFV is forcing you to spend money on DLC characters, when it isn't at all. THey can be earned via gameplay.

Terrible way of looking at it, plus it's a false equivalency. In the case of street fighter, you earn the same amount of points for doing the same things as everyone else, same in Blops, only difference is, in Blops, you can't pick what you want to unlock. You just get to roll the dice. So now we have a situation where I am unlocking something I don't want, or I am unlocking something I do want , but only after 20 hours, and someone else is getting the same thing after only an hour. This is an even bigger problem when said unlocks aren't merely cosmetic. It's terrible, there is really no room for luck-based progression systems, especially in multiplayer games.

It sucks 'cause the are doing a lot of cool stuff, just implementing it in a horrendous way.
I mean look at this badass sword I'll probably never get: https://gfycat.com/IncompatiblePossibleAngwantibo

Murkas

This will probably carry on every yearly CoD iteration which makes it all the stranger that people will buy it. It's gonna be outdated come November unless Activision will keep supporting BO3 for more than a year (lol)

xRaizen

The guns aren't OP. The pistol is a double barrel, with a slow reload. The semi auto rifle kill in two shots like the Sheiva. The crossbow is essentially a ballistic knife, and has massive drop after 10 or so feet.

This isn't "Pay to Win".

The guns aren't OP. The pistol is a double barrel, with a slow reload. The semi auto rifle kill in two shots like the Sheiva. The crossbow is essentially a ballistic knife, and has massive drop after 10 or so feet.

This isn't "Pay to Win".
Despite all of that I don't like that weapons are behind supply drops. I think it should have stayed to melee weapons only in my opinion.

Skittles

I have over 70 hours in the game how can you tell me gun balance and yes a pistol with only one shot that can one shot people is OP if you can use it right despite the range and reload time :l
I'm still not seeing how this pistol is OP. The KRM can do everything it can but 10x better. Any other pistol outclasses it just because of clip size alone. Even on a sniper class it would be bad because most people just run double primaries and switch to the vmp or vesper.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I guess I see it differently

In any game, you either grind or don't.
If there's an option to buy said item or things to help get said item. I would. Mainly because I would rather not waste my time grinding the days away. Lol.

kiguel182

Anyway, non cosmetic drops are a big no no for a game with dlc map packs that costs 60 dollars. I will not put more money in the game and will think twice come Black Ops 4.

Hopefully another FPS series hits it big on consoles or Destiny 2 is better at multiplayer.

Hikami

Do you have to gamble for the SFV characters though? From what I've heard, you just get enough points to buy them and that's it. You got them.

In BO3 you have to grind cryptokeys to just get a chance to get them. You can end up not getting any weapons at all.

I wouldn't mind if you just had to get like 400 cryptokeys to just get one and be done with it but nooo, you have to gamble for them. I have 4-5 days of gameplay on this already and still haven't got any of the 3 melee weapons they added.

xRaizen

Despite all of that I don't like that weapons are behind supply drops. I think it should have stayed to melee weapons only in my opinion.
The weapons aren't going to make a bad player good, and a good player is most likely using the Kuda already so this won't make much of a difference, if any. The weapons look average at best. Especially the rifle, there's a handful of maps where it would even be viable (as it should be, different maps different playstyles).

People moaning about pay to win don't have a clue about the balance in this game.

Was the Ranger in MW2 overpowered? No? Well the new pistol is a reskin of that.

Do these weapons require the DLC? I have like 300 crypto keys and only vanilla bo3 and haven't ever seen any of this weapons. The only one I'd want is the sword.

I thought all weapons were unlocked via XP / levels and the only thing the black market gave you were skins for your weapons (I don't give a rats ass about skins), are there now weapons you can only get via black market RNG?

Top Bottom