• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black ops 3 : pay for COD points to gamble for new guns = a new low point

So offensive. They dont sell the actual guns and never will, right? Isnt this what got people pissed with AW?

And AW even had modified stats on existing guns to win through the gambling system.

This would be absolutely okay if they had free maps, but they charge for those too and fracture the community because they simply can get away with it.

I wish more devs would charge for cosmetics and even guns and leave the player pool alone. But doing both gun DLC and maps really irks me

What's the best way to complain to these people?

Weapons should at least be free for season pass owners, wtf is wrong with treyarch.

geordiemp

Yep. It's funny to see people moaning about it when you can get the keys by playing the game.

Its funny you have no idea what you are talking about.

I have almost 40,000 kills in multiplayer, presitige master level 115....

There are currently 3 new weapons in supply drops and I have not had one of them. 4 months of playing every night and nothing.....

Cod Youtubers have dropped 100's of dollars on packs, opening lots of boxes and got no weapons...

So offensive. They dont sell the actual guns and never will, right? Isnt this what got people pissed with AW?

And AW even had modified stats on existing guns to win through the gambling system.

Yeah I left AW at the same point when it was RNG for guns, and 3arc promised they would not do this so I bought BO3...damn them

Dishy

Unconfirmed Member
If the map packs were free then I would've had no problems with this.
But you have to pay for the season pass + gamble to get these new cool looking weapons? (yeah I can play for 100 hours to get the crypto keys too...)

At least give these weapons to Season Pass owners for free, idk

Kalentan

Hopefully Treyarch says something. Usually they've been pretty good with interacting with the community, like with the whole SBMM happened. So hopefully they will say something sooner rather than later.

Nimby

Banned
It's not pay to win. You can earn unlocks by gambling in game without paying. The cryptokey system is pretty terrible though, they're too many unlocks and like Destiny a rare supply drop can only guarantee a rare item, so you will most likely get duplicates and shit you don't care about.

This would be absolutely okay if they had free maps, but they charge for those too and fracture the community because they simply can get away with it.

I wish more devs would charge for cosmetics and even guns and leave the player pool alone. But doing both gun DLC and maps really irks me

I think I went through 7 prestiges and never got the Insanity, or the STG, or any of top tier variants in AW.

xRaizen

There are currently 3 new weapons in supply drops and I have not had one of them. 4 months of playing every night and nothing.....

Cod Youtubers have dropped 100's of dollars on packs, opening lots of boxes and got no weapons...

Yeah I left AW at the same point when it was RNG for guns, and 3arc promised they would not do this so I bought BO3...damn them
Again, I've seen a level 30 with the Wrench. What's good about that? RNG. For everyone. We all have just as much of a chance as anyone else.

I'm Prestige 9 with just under 25k kills and I don't have one either. They make no difference to the game unlike AW, which had modified stats for gun variants that made them OP.

Ensoul

But guys Treyarch never lie and COD Blops 3 will save the series

/s

Its pretty clear COD is dying. And ever since they moved to twitch with PS4, they haven't been able to lie about viewer numbers(thanks MLG) and its clearly not a very big thing as its made out to be.

COD is far from dying. This game already outsold Ghosts and AW and even though it was only out for two months it was the best selling game for 2015.

RedAssedApe

Banned
eh...aren't most of these cosmetic. at least the ones so far have just been re-skinned combat knives no?

i'd rather the rng for getting taunts and skins to be better.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
If I were Treyarch, I'd give the community the option of buying a weapon for something like 100 cryptokeys in addition to putting them in regular supply drops and whatnot.

eh...aren't most of these cosmetic. at least the ones so far have just been re-skinned combat knives no?

The three new guns aren't cosmetic. They're unique in function, and although the shotgun pistol is almost certainly terrible, the other two have yet to be seen.

Matticers

And I've seen a level 30 get the wrench, buying their third rare supply drop.

Paying real money doesn't affect the actual chances of getting them, and I'm fine with it because I play the game and earn enough keys in a short time.

I hate microtransactions as much as the next guy, but BO3's done it pretty well. AW had weapon variants that actually made weapons stronger and OP in most cases.

I've probably bought 30 supply drops with keys I've earned in the game since those weapons were released. Still nothing. It's rare that people get anything that quickly. And these new weapons are going to be much more sought after than some melee weapons that acted the same way as the combat knife. The new assault rifle looks really strong assuming you can put extended mags/fast mags on it. They did do microtransactions pretty well though... up until now.

If I were Treyarch, I'd give the community the option of buying a weapon for something like 100 cryptokeys in addition to putting them in regular supply drops and whatnot.

The three new guns aren't cosmetic. They're unique in function, and although the shotgun pistol is almost certainly terrible, the other two have yet to be seen.
One is an automatic OHK crossbow and the other is a two-shot kill MX Garand, a future version of the M1 Garand, ping sound and everything.

That MX Garand looks pretty awesome. The fact that it's 2 shot kill doesn't really matter in Hardcore, though. Most of the guns are one or two shot kills in that mode. So, the fact that people may be running around with these weapons doesn't really affect me as much as it might others.

The guns aren't OP. The pistol is a double barrel, with a slow reload. The semi auto rifle kill in two shots like the Sheiva. The crossbow is essentially a ballistic knife, and has massive drop after 10 or so feet.

This isn't "Pay to Win".

Looks like has faster fire rate without even attachments.

How does time played correlate at all with giving you a weapon via a supply drop? It doesn't matter how much time you've put into the game, drop rate is a set value that no amount of playing time can circumvent.

These are virtual pieces of gear we're talking about here. Guns, which in all likelihood offer no competitive advantage against things like Pharo, HVK, and M8, are simply sought after for collectivist purposes.

geordiemp

How does time played correlate at all with giving you a weapon via a supply drop? It doesn't matter how much time you've put into the game, drop rate is a set value that no amount of playing time can circumvent.

These are virtual pieces of gear we're talking about here. Guns, which in all likelihood offer no competitive advantage against things like Pharo, HVK, and M8, are simply sought after for collectivist purposes.

No, you are wrong - the M2 garrant is a faster firing Shieva 2 bullet kill - that makes it officially the fastest killing assault rifle in the game...but its only got 8 round mag so you have to reload....lol

Its pay to win....FAL was banned from allot of competitive and had to be nerfed for a reason.

And a hip firing 1 shot kill cross bow - what were you saying again ?

Bolivar687

Banned
Content unlocks should not be behind an additional paywall, much less one with RNG mechanics.

It was cool when they gave you new guns with the map pack but this is unacceptable.

They gave away the good guns for free in AW, though, the guns hidden behind drops were all shitty gimmick weapons like a Musket.

You can earn these in game, why is it a big deal? It's the expectation at this point and at least they allow you to unlock them through Crypto's instead of saying fuck you get bent.

They gave away the good guns for free in AW, though, the guns hidden behind drops were all shitty gimmick weapons like a Musket.

You can earn these in game, why is it a big deal? It's the expectation at this point and at least they allow you to unlock them through Crypto's instead of saying fuck you get bent.
The STG-77 was behind the drops.

thejpfin

It was fine when it was just cosmetics, but now guns? Fuck this. Also goes against what Treyarch promised beforehand. Super shitty.

Exactly. Cosmetics are fine and even knife variants.
Guns that have unique stats and they play differently, those should be available for every player from the start.
It doesn't matter are these new guns OP or not, is still super shitty they made it semi-P2W.

I shouldn't bent to shitty things just because is expected to happen.

The expectation should be:"You buy a game + season pass, you get ALL the content without gimmicks or moneygrabs".

And you can earn these in game...maybe...with luck...sometime in the future, but just maybe.

Matticers

It's a big deal because you don't "earn" them. You have to get lucky to get these. And a lot of people will need to spend money if they want to unlock the weapons if the past supply drop weapons are any indication.

Hell, people will probably spend more money on cryptokeys trying to unlock some of these guns than they would if Treyarch tossed the guns up on the store as $2 each DLC. That's why they're doing this. It's a money grab and I don't think it should be defended just because there's a small chance you can get a weapon naturally through the game. I'll change my stance if they up the drop rate for these new weapons but I doubt that happens.

Spizz

Banned
The guns look like pretty bad gimmicks and inferior versions to guns already in the main game like the semi auto rifle shown. In fact, they already added some gimmicky melee items. So I'm not necessarily upset about the "pay-to-win" because I promise you won't win shit with this stuff.

But I do have a huge problem with them saying they won't add guns in these packs then going back on it. It's pretty disheartening as a consumer.

Cosmetics is one thing, in fact, I really appreciated the one camo pack where they donated to finding veterans a job when returning from duty. But, if they start to add actual viable weapons in these packs, I'm out.

No, you are wrong - the M2 garrant is a faster firing Shieva 2 bullet kill - that makes it officially the fastest killing assault rifle in the game...but its only got 8 round mag so you have to reload....lol

Its pay to win....FAL was banned from allot of competitive and had to be nerfed for a reason.

And a hip firing 1 shot kill cross bow - what were you saying again ?

And yet the likelihood of rolling any one of these is so slim that even you haven't gotten one. It's as if half the CoD population has these guns when the fact is, is that very very few players have them and won't supplant the 2 dozen you have to choose from right now.

Regarding the video in the OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRoNOp2390U

How did someone get the weapons so fast?

Likely a custom game that allows you to play with the new weapons.

I'd pay $2 straight up for the MX Garand, but it's much more profitable for even just YouTubers to spend hundreds of dollars on supply drops to get them.

Kallor

Lol @ the in game cryptokeys argument. Have fun grinding for a few months trying to get those weapons. Cryptokeys are only there to give you a taste and tempt you to pay to win.

Get this free to play pay to win gambling garbage out of my $60 game that already features dlc, season passes and micro-transactions. For fucks sake.

kaskade

I wouldn't mind if there was an option to get the weapons using cod points or crypto keys. Say like 100 crypto keys for the guns and crossbow. I can't say I mind the knives being behind the luck since they are a little less useful. It's kind of like oh man he got one of those how lucky. I don't want that with firearms.

I'm surprised CoD hasn't gone full-on Clash of War Crush yet.

The online gaming community is going to get real angry at any microtransactions these days, no matter if it actually affects gameplay or not, so you may as well go all out when adding them.

Ponn

Banned
Everything is building to a subscription based model with a DLC marketplace and "expansion packs" I mean they basically are now with the base game being the annual fee. Just make it official and streamline it.

I see the yearly titles like CoD, Battlefield, Ass Creed, sports games and Destiny being among the first. Heck for some people it will probably even look cheaper to them at first glance then buying the yearly game.

Mass One

From a personal standpoint, I know that with my luck no matter how much I'll play I'll never get the raider.

Other then that, it's just a bad incentive. COD lives and dies off 2 things: guns and maps. If if one of those things is locked away for a undetermined amount of time it's going to upset some people.

At least in Ghost if you shelled out the money for the season pass you got the new guns.

I hated this in AW. There are better variants of guns that I see so many people using and I never get any from drops. I get variants for guns I can't use without buying the dlc as well. The whole thing sucks

kiguel182

Exactly. I would have zero issues if maps were free. This is the worst approach they could have.

geordiemp

Lol @ the in game cryptokeys argument. Have fun grinding for a few months trying to get those weapons. Cryptokeys are only there to give you a taste and tempt you to pay to win.

Get this free to play pay to win gambling garbage out of my $60 game that already features dlc, season passes and micro-transactions. For fucks sake.

Amen. Anyway, they lost me, time to play the Witcher 3 in my backlog.

impact

Banned
Haven't played COD since modern warfare 1.

Looks like it got kinda weird.

Last great CoD game, you picked the right time to get out.

After Black Ops 1 this series became putrid shit with no redeeming qualities. I can't believe people were excited for this in particular after the garbage beta.

Consumer

It's a scummy move for sure and is in the same vein of Destiny. Only select lucky players will get to use these weapons, most of which seem really cool & powerful.

However, I'm not totally against this decision; it definitely creates admiration & awe towards these lucky players by making these weapons truly rare, similar to what Destiny did with weapons like Thorn or Gjallarhorn. As painful as it is to accept, these weapons would be excruciatingly dull if they were simply added to the main game since everyone can access them (even if they must first complete challenges or whatever).

Top Bottom