• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black ops 3 : pay for COD points to gamble for new guns = a new low point

Why are we blaming treyach here?

Like they have a choice.

This is the model Activision wants to push and it sells and until then it won't stop.

I couldn't care less honestly if someone saves up cryptokeys they got from playing the game or some rich kid who just dropped £100 and got a new gun.

Kosma

Banned
We are reaching a point where F2P games like WoT are actually more honest, upfront and better value then 60 euro products.

I fully expected EA to add microtransactions to buy credits in Star Wars: Battlefront before P2W weapons were added to Black Ops 3. The Evil Empire crown keeps getting passed back and forth between EA and Activision.

geordiemp

Wow, Kottick is a genius. When asked if he thinks CoD should be retail price plus dlc or F2P he just said, "why not both?". And here we are. Retail game with dlc and shifty F2P P2W money=time antics. Crazy the game was pretty good at launch too. This won't stop until people stop throwing money at it but many plebs will continue to do this, including people who should know better on gaf. Then you have all those E-Stars on Twitch and YT with their thousands in gold/currency and people donating money to them to buy stuff on the spot, crazy times.

I hope the next battlefield doesn't do something like this, it would be a dark day.

Totally agree, I bought Bo3 digitally and the season pass, Vondehaar lied to us promising the black market would be cosmetic only. I feel duped.

I tried to get my season pass money back but Sony said I had already played the Giant zombies map, part of the season pass.

Hard lessons learnt - even if I want to play COD, I will just buy the disk, no season pass or DLC, and once the shit starts I can just trade the game in.

Never again. The most concerning is everybody is going to be at it. COD points, FIFA points, BF points, Destiny Silver, GTA dollars...where will it end. Everything is paywall gated behing RNG packs....Gaming is going down the tubes fast and is starting to mirror mobile.

vin-buc

As someone who has put days into COD (i mean days) - you just need to deal with it. Every weapon has a counter - even if you had an OP weapon you can counter it with something for sure (if you have basic COD MP skills). All this time - i've been opening common drops and i've got some good stuff while my son just started playing and he got the brass knuckles off the common (go figure).

I was hoping that DLC/Season Pass owners would get the guns for free like in Ghosts (ripper/maverick - which they ended up selling for $3.99 each). Or that they'd release the new weapons to keep things fresh liken in AW (M1-irons, widowmaker, ohm, ak, m16, 1911, stg-44, mp-44, etc.). Can't they just sell weapon packs? It's basically unmasking what they're doing now anyway and it worked in Ghosts.

I do agree that it's a anti-consumer AND LOYAL FAN-BASE tactic but in no way is this pay-to-win. You can put me up against anyone with any gun and i'll handle them. The last challenge i did before I got dark matter was the combat knife challenges and I got plenty of bloodthirsties with it against every weapon in the game. That was the best and most rewarding set of challenges btw.

Wow, Kottick is a genius. When asked if he thinks CoD should be retail price plus dlc or F2P he just said, "why not both?". And here we are. Retail game with dlc and shifty F2P P2W money=time antics. Crazy the game was pretty good at launch too. This won't stop until people stop throwing money at it but many plebs will continue to do this, including people who should know better on gaf. Then you have all those E-Stars on Twitch and YT with their thousands in gold/currency and people donating money to them to buy stuff on the spot, crazy times.

I hope the next battlefield doesn't do something like this, it would be a dark day.

The hyperbole in this post is delicious. Nice way to blame people for something that Treyarch ultimately has no control over.

Then again, I shouldn't be surprised. When it comes to microtransactions, certain subsections of GAF will collectively lose their shit and make wild assumptions, much like any thread on Rainbow Six Siege.

The fact of the matter is, is that these are nothing to get overly upset. Would I prefer they be sold in weapon packs instead of the grind that is the RNG? Absolutely. But the reality is, this is the new norm for multiplayer games. You can gain Crpytokeys to roll for these weapons fairly easily by just playing the multiplayer, COD Points are simply an option if you are lazy.

But of course, why listen to facts when you can generalize an entire fanbase as plebs in a drive-by shitpost?

Battlefront doesn't have microtransactions and if the next Battlefield doesn't do more than Battlefield 4 did with its supply drops (cosmetic attachment variants, 2XP bonuses, and camos) it'll just be another check on the board for Activision being a the new Evil Empire.

The hyperbole in this post is delicious. Nice way to blame people for something that Treyarch ultimately has no control over.

Then again, I shouldn't be surprised. When it comes to microtransactions, certain subsections of GAF will collectively lose their shit and make wild assumptions, much like any thread on Rainbow Six Siege.

The fact of the matter is, is that these are nothing to get overly upset. Would I prefer they be sold in weapon packs instead of the grind that is the RNG? Absolutely. But the reality is, this is the new norm for multiplayer games. You can gain Crpytokeys to roll for these weapons fairly easily by just playing the multiplayer, COD Points are simply an option if you are lazy.

But of course, why listen to facts when you can generalize an entire fanbase as plebs in a drive-by shitpost?

Then fuck SP games, and multiplayer games that ask you 120€ to get full content and yet they can't give you ALL the content. Actually I just bought BF4 and said goodbye to BO3.

Also 30 Cryptokeys aren't "fairly easy" we are talking about of several games even a couple of hours depending of your skills. And we are talking about items that not even people who spend lots of money managed to get them.

This is not being lazy, is getting suckered into an slot machine, because if it was fairly easy as you mention, people wouldn't spend money on them, and that's clearly not the intention.

I spend money on the game because I enjoy the game it's the best COD in the last few years.

Opening supply drops are fun, I like camos and the chance of getting something cool like a wrench is a bonus.

Plus I have a job to pay for cod points so it's up to me how I spend it.

Also lately when I've had a few bad games in a row at the end I've had 4 keys instead of 1 or 2.

I spend money on the game because I enjoy the game it's the best COD in the last few years.

Opening supply drops are fun, I like camos and the chance of getting something cool like a wrench is a bonus.

Plus I have a job to pay for cod points so it's up to me how I spend it.

Also lately when I've had a few bad games in a row at the end I've had 4 keys instead of 1 or 2.

This is how I feel. I enjoyed buying the points for random skins on occasion.

I've spend money and have a few nice things, but the rest of my friends who I play with haven't spent a dime and got all the things I wanted (butterfly knife, particular camos, etc.).

And finally to the folks screaming pay to win, it's pay to gamble because there's no guarantees of what you'll receive, paid points or earned. I'm surprised people are missing that since it's basically the thread title.

This turns me off of every future call of duty. Not because of microtransactions but I just hate these weapons. I hate this scifi direction so much. And I sunk a ton of hours into blops3.

Advanced Warfare told me all I need to know about the direction Call of Duty is taking. The insulting thing is that it isn't a free2play game.

It really is shitty. First they said 'no supply drops' then they said 'only cosmetic, earned with in game currency ' then they added cod points, then they added the rng weapons. Even if you don't see a problem with this overall you have to admit they snuck it in there in the greasiest way possible. Also, this could be just the beginning. Advanced warfare eventually had weapon variants that were stronger than the base ones hidden behind supply drops with insanely low drop rates. Anybody who thinks that's ok is a fucking moron. The drop rates in blops 3 supply drops are pathetic. The guns may not be overpowered but they are extremely powerful,especially the pistol and crossbow once you unlock the dual wield. The sword has a much faster attack rate and increased range over the knife. Anybody trying to brush this off as no big deal has their head up their ass.

Top Bottom