• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 will be a 60fps graphical showcase for the Xbox One according to the S

Theorry

Talking to Tom Stone on the last issue of Official Xbox Magazine US, the Studio Head of Gears of War 4, Rod Fergusson (Gears of War trilogy and Bioshock Infinite), gave some information about the game developed by The Coalition. Fergusson said that one of the team’s target is to give to fans the essence of previous Gears of War titles, adding some fresh elements to the franchise. Concerning the graphical aspects of the fourth chapter, the Studio Head said something about the framerate:

“Delivering [with Ultimate Edition] the first 60fps multiplayer experience in franchise history really taught us a lot about what it means to have a 60fps culture on the team and we’re leveraging that experience for Gears of War 4.”

Furthermore, looking at the results given by Halo 5: Guardians on Xbox One, Fergusson expressed his intention to show the best graphics possible for the Microsoft’s console:

“Like how the original Gears of War was a visual showcase for the Xbox 360, Gears of War 4 will be a graphical showcase for the Xbox One.”

http://nerdleaks.com/videogames/gea...-the-xbox-one-according-to-the-studio-head-65

Dont know about graphical showcase. 60fps is gonna have some impact on the graphics for sure. But all in all good news imo. Prefer 60fps more then graphics.

Edit: Crap. Messed up the title.

Montresor

Halo 5 was 60fps and was absolutely gorgeous. I have no doubt a 1st party dev with Rod Ferguson at the helm will do right by Gears with respect to performance. Gears Ultimate was damn good. Had silky smooth 60fps multiplayer and 30fps single player which was damn fun.

madmackem

Halo 5 was 60fps and was absolutely gorgeous. I have no doubt a 1st party dev with Rod Ferguson at the helm will do right by Gears with respect to performance. Gears Ultimate was damn good. Had silky smooth 60fps multiplayer and 30fps single player which was damn fun.
I wouldn't call halo 5 absolutely gorgeous, I'd call it passable because it was 60 fps.

Montresor

I wouldn't call halo 5 absolutely gorgeous, I'd call it passable because it was 60 fps.

DigitalFoundry proved in a tech analysis that there was a big cost to maintaining 60fps in campaign but the game still looked beautiful. I loved the Sanghelios and Sunaion levels in particular... Damn nice colours there.

Halo 5 looked average at best. Sure the 60 fps was an achievement but for me personally there were way too many cuts to make it happen.

Ascenion

Hopefully he only means multiplayer at 60fps. Halo 5 suffered from 60fps all around in campaign. I feel that 60fps lock is likely why split screen wasn't there. Plus, if I'm being honest while it looked far from bad, it wasn't a graphical showcase either.

c0de

Please make the campaign 30fps. People aren't wowed by a game at 60fps on that hardware, please try at least at 30fps.
It's a shame that Ryse is still arguably the best looking game on that console.

EGM1966

I like the 60fps but that pretty much guarantees the game won't be a graphical showcase next to 30fps titles that are graphically great.

No reason it can't be the best looking 60fps title I guess.

Will wait and see if they announce a controversial UWA version!

Good the more 60 FPS games on console the better also remember Battlefront
looks amazing and in runs at 60fps I have faith in Rod and the Coalition, I can't wait to see more at E3

Lichter

Give us the choice (on console) either we choose 30fps campain with better graphics or 60fps campain with "cool" graphics.

(I'd choose 60fps right away but it's always cool to have the choice)

Busigkatt

Banned
He obviously is referring to the PC version coming out,

Give us choice (on console) either we choose 30fps campain with better graphics or 60fps campain with "cool" graphics.

Just get a PC man. You'll just need an hdmi cable and wireless Xbox One controller + adapter and there you go. Now you got your couch experience but with better graphics and options. Cheers! You'll never get any serious options on consoles.

These are one of those things that shouldn't be said but done and should have been a design goal from the start. I would expect nothing less seeing as this is a first party game. It would be embarrassing if it wasn't.

Azalean

Banned
Can we please keep the PC port begging bullshit out of this thread?

"Gears of War 4 will be a graphical showcase for the Xbox One."

Yep, he is totally referring to the (non-existent) PC version.

Lichter

Just get a PC man. You'll just need an hdmi cable and wireless Xbox One controller + adapter and there you go. Now you got your couch experience but with better graphics and options. Cheers! You'll never get any serious options on consoles.

I can't afford a gaming PC right now, but I saw some PS4 games having a framerate lock maybe they can add this toggle in the settings of Gears 4 too.

I'm hoping they didn't nix 4 player co op, but it seems like they did according to the demo they showed at E3 with only two characters. I guess they want to bring back more survival error elements.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
This is good news. I dont know if my mind is deceiving me but I was replaying Gears 2 as part of the games of gold package for Feb and damn the framerate is so bad. The gameplay just feels so mediocre. 60 fps is a welcome sign but I really really hope they make this something more than a stop and pop shooter. It is not going to cut it in 2016.

MaximumJohnny

Neo Member
He's probably talking about muktiplayer. It'll be 30fps single player abd 60fps mp.

Pretty sure the gameplay they already showed was 30fps.

Iced Arcade

Not surprised. back when Gears launched on the 360 it was the consoles graphic showcase series. was also Epics Unreal engine showcase franchise

cheesekao

You're assuming that everyone's PC is nearby their TV.

orava

That's how you do it. The graphical difference compared to 30fps console games is insignificant anyway.

Skux

I dunno. Gears has always been a graphical showcase for Xbox. I'd rather it look its best at 1080p30 than sacrifice for 60.

Give us the choice (on console) either we choose 30fps campain with better graphics or 60fps campain with "cool" graphics.

The uncharted 4 way is not a bad way to go.

1080p/30 for the campaign, 900p/60 for multi-player.

kpaadet

Graphical showcase or 60fps? You can only pick one Rod. I guess he is talking about campaign being 30 while MP is 60.

Top Bottom