• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people sleep on Carly Rae Jepsen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

She's fun but not really mesmerizing or anything. She's not a dynamic performer either.

She is also low drama so she doesn't get a lot of non music PR.

Captcha

Wasnt there a thread like this not so long ago?? Gonna look for it

Edit:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1087641

Was hoping same op hahaahhhaa

It had almost exactly the same thread title too.

Whoops, shit. PS_Guy's foresight.

'Even if you don't like her music you should recognize I like her music and therefore recognize her brilliance'

Not quite, I meant more like, "if you even have a passing interest in pop give her a chance."

daemonic

Banned
I dig her music usually and admittedly enjoyed her last album. Let's Get Lost is a great track. She's fun and not nearly as obnoxious as other pop singers in the same category.

Why do people sleep on Behemoth?

Even if you only barely like blackened death metal you can't deny their power. They're consistently putting out fun, good music. Get into them.

Heel

E-Mo-Tion was the best pop album of last year.

Agreed, friend. That production.

giphy.gif

She gets slept on because everyone disregarded her as Rebecca Black tier after "Call Me Maybe". Because the lead single from this was another song in the vein of it, people thought she was a one trick pony, generating songs with meme potential with no substance to them.

Which is a shame because my god, her record was good. It was in my top 15 last year, because how varied and solid the project as a whole was. I loved "L.A. Hallucinations", "Run Away With Me", "Warm Blood", "I Didn't Just Come Here to Dance", and a couple others.

Until she breaks away from Call Me Maybe, she's not going to get the love she deserves.

Captcha

Why do Jespen fans keep making these threads. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=173604000
I don't know who she is.

She played Cinderella on Broadway or something. I guess we'll never find out.

I missed that other thread. To be fair it was 8 months ago.

She gets slept on because everyone disregarded her as Rebecca Black tier after "Call Me Maybe". Because the lead single from this was another song in the vein of it, people thought she was a one trick pony, generating songs with meme potential with no substance to them.

Which is a shame because my god, her record was good. It was in my top 15 last year, because how varied and solid the project as a whole was. I loved "L.A. Hallucinations", "Run Away With Me", "Warm Blood", "I Didn't Just Come Here to Dance", and a couple others.

Until she breaks away from Call Me Maybe, she's not going to get the love she deserves.

This is a very good point. She was REALLY trying to recreate Call me Maybe with I Reallyetc. Like You. It was one of the weaker songs on EMOTION. She does have sounds that vary from the vein of Call Me Maybe and the like. All That for instance is good.

I'm going to her show at the Metro in a month and gonna see her at Pitchfork!

As it should. I only wish she would team up with SOPHIE to produce her next album.

Charli XCX should fill that niche, but not Carly Rae Jepsen. I think she should stick to more varied styles of pop, not just the PC Music trend. I'd love it if she experimented with more live instrumentation, unconventional producers, and more. Working with Ariel Rechtshaid, Rostam Batmanglij, Blood Orange, and more gave her the indie cred she needed, and she should work more with them.

Steamlord

It still kind of seems like I Really Like You was a mistake, considering it's a pretty blatant attempt at being Call Me Maybe 2.0. It's not an awful song but it's definitely one of the weakest on the album.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i mean while you're at it go watch the youtube video where she walks around Japan eating desserts

It still kind of seems like I Really Like You was a mistake, considering it's a pretty blatant attempt at being Call Me Maybe 2.0. It's not an awful song but it's definitely one of the weakest on the album.

Yeah, it was a total marketing failure. The album is so absurdly good, they could have picked any of like 10 better songs to be a lead single.

People don't

Call me maybe was quite a popular song just a few years ago

It was everywhere

You'd be hard-pressed to name anyone who hasn't heard it

GhostBed

Yeah, it was a total marketing failure. The album is so absurdly good, they could have picked any of like 10 better songs to be a lead single.

Okay, this is good to hear. If that song is the black sheep of the album then I will happily check out the rest of it.

Davey Cakes

People don't

Call me maybe was quite a popular song just a few years ago

It was everywhere

You'd be hard-pressed to name anyone who hasn't heard it
Yeah but that's the thing. It was popular but people didn't necessarily become invested in Carly as a pop artist, they just became invested in the song.

It was the flavor of the week, but more like the flavor of the...months.

For lots of casual listeners, I bet she was just the "in-thing" based on that one song. They probably didn't care about her other output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom