• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people sleep on Carly Rae Jepsen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledbetter

I'm not even into pop and I loved her last album. Warm Blood, Your Type and Gimmie Love are my favorite tracks. I'd go to see her live, honestly.

Watch her Ellen performance from yesterday, that's probably why. So tragic

What was so wrong with it? It doesn't sound as good as the studio version, but it was still ok overall. The Youtube comments on the Ellen channel are full of people shitting on her hair though...

ironcreed

Banned
Maybe this is gonna blow your mind but people can like both this and CRJ. I do.

That's great. I'm simply stating that I don't view her as a musician in the sense that I see musicians. To me, it's commercial garbage that is rolled off the assembly line. But please, do enjoy.

andthebeatgoeson

It's she selling herself as a sex symbol, yet? Because that may be one reason.

I don't keep track of TMZ but I sure do find their stories and links. They find me and I haven't seen her in 'such a hot dress' or 'crazy what she said to TSwizzle!'

She may want to work on that.

Steamlord

For those who like her music, you should definitely see her live if you get a chance. She's got a great stage presence and she even manages to make her more annoying older songs fun - Good Time is more or less bearable without the Owl Shitty dude, and Call Me Maybe is like several times better with electric guitar instead of those canned strings. She even debuted a new song tonight when I saw her, so that was pretty awesome. Plus the atmosphere is so positive it's basically impossible not to be happy and into it. You can tell the band is having a great time.

I feel the same way about Sky Ferreira. Night Time, My Time was a terrific album, but I rarely hear her mentioned. And if you want to talk about doing justice to the 80s sound...

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
It's pretty good, but I lived through the early 90s once.
Every track can't necessarily rise above that for me

Koodo

Banned
Listing a 1975 song to answer the rhetoric of "real music" is embarrassing and exposes a complete lack of knowledge on the state of the industry at best, and a sheep-herded mentality at worst. Asco.

But anyway, E•MO•TION is a perfect pop record aside from I Really Abhor You. Yikes @ whoever green lit that as the lead single

Not

Banned
No idea OP, that album deserved to be a hit

It's like good music only gets acknowledged on accident nowadays

For every fun. and Lorde and, OK, Ariana Grande, there's everything else. Even TPAB underperformed in comparison to what's on top these days.

because a lot of people are adults

Not the people buying singles off iTunes, that's for damn sure

Listing a 1975 song to answer the rhetoric of "real music" is embarrassing and exposes a complete lack of knowledge on the state of the industry at best, and a sheep-herded mentality at worst.

For a second I thought you were talking about The 1975, and we were about to fight

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
*looks up Carly Rae Jepsen*

This is the "Call Me Maybe" woman it seems. So, I don't sleep on her, I actively change the channel when her music comes on. The reason you ask? Because it's annoying.

*looks up Carly Rae Jepsen*

This is the "Call Me Maybe" woman it seems. So, I don't sleep on her, I actively change the channel when her music comes on. The reason you ask? Because it's annoying.

Case in point: someone who has no idea how good her last album was.

Her team REALLY fucked up with the lead single for EMOTION. This Stereogum article talks about it, but yeah, it seems that EMOTION's failure was due to the lead single hoping to catch lightning in a bottle twice and the fact it came out months early in Japan, effectively cannibalizing sales in the US and Europe because piracy.
“To be really honest, I was gunning more for ‘Run Away With Me,” Jepsen admits. “But I was unanimously across the board getting told ‘I Really Like You’ was it, and I was like … Alright, as long as we do “Run Away” second. And then as soon we got Tom Hanks on board, I was like, This is fun and tongue-in-cheek, this is a moment in and of itself. The song is something I like for its ’80s punch, but I was obsessed with that saxophone. But you can always look back and say, should I have?, and I don’t know … I had a wonderful day in New York shooting a film with Tom Hanks. It was a cool part of my life, and it was a fun moment in time.”
For an album whose success was predicated on word-of-mouth — Hey friends, did you know the singer of “Call Me Maybe” made the best album of the year? No, seriously! Check it out. — it was frustrating for fans lacking a legal avenue through which to share it. Many turned to piracy, resulting in a groundswell of support, but middling sales. Eventually, Jepsen’s team gave up all pretenses of a traditional album rollout, releasing a song a week with little fanfare in the month run-up to its official August street date.

“They had a whole bunch of reasons for the game plan of it,” says Jepsen. “But I look back, and I think it’s something that I will pay more attention to next time. Not that I wasn’t aware and involved and actively debating all of these things — singles and strategy — but at the time I probably trusted other people before myself, and I think that’s something that I took from this. I will learn to value my own opinion on things just as much as I give that power away. I think I really took my power with the artistic side of the album, and the things that I was more excited about handling, but I think it’s important to look at both.”

Also, the article contains a little bit about the status of her next record:
“I don’t want to wait three years like I did after Kiss,” she explains. “I feel inspired. I think why I took so long last time was that I didn’t really know what I wanted to do. I’m not sitting here saying this is the plan, but I feel really ready to find it now and I don’t feel like I need a hiatus. I feel fired up. My dream would be to hopefully get something out at the top of 2017 that I felt right about. But if it didn’t feel right, then I would wait. That’s the one thing … I don’t want to rush.”

Yep, which is a shame. I like that people are posting songs of hers that they enjoy. Maybe some who like pop but are dismissive of her will give her a second chance.

Uh, no. She has been on a precipitous downward trajectory after Call Me Maybe.

You mean when her song became and internet meme and was everywhere, as opposed to now of just being on the radio all the time?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Case in point: someone who has no idea how good her last album was.

Her team REALLY fucked up with the lead single for EMOTION. This Stereogum article talks about it, but yeah, it seems that EMOTION's failure was due to the lead single hoping to catch lightning in a bottle twice and the fact it came out months early in Japan, effectively cannibalizing sales in the US and Europe because piracy.

Also, the article contains a little bit about the status of her next record:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're trying to tell me that one of her songs being really bad makes all her other songs better in comparison?

Sorry man, her music isn't good, that's why I don't listen to it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're trying to tell me that one of her songs being really bad makes all her other songs better in comparison?

As long as you've given her a chance, its all good. If you're basing your opinion of her off one song that happened to go viral, then its an issue.

A lot of people disregarded Emotion because of the lead single and "Call Me Maybe", but it is a legitimately great album. It's received critical acclaim all across the board, and the songs on it are completely different from "Call Me Maybe" with the exception of "I Really (ad nauseum) Like You." If you haven't listened to it, give it a shot. After that, if you still think its shit, I can respect the fact you at least tried it.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Emotion is a great album to get your lighthearted pop fix, but there really isn't much substance.

Koodo

Banned

This is literally wrong on a reading comprehension level. The statement was that the lead single off the last album, similar to Call Me Maybe, was bad in plain terms – and the rest of the album was great. An absolute statement, not comparative.

But we get your schtick. l o l

Davey Cakes

Emotion is a great album to get your lighthearted pop fix, but there really isn't much substance.
Hey, you know what, it served its purpose. I can't listen to too much of this sort of pop (and I say that as a fan of the genre overall, since it comes in many forms) but the album hit the spot and provided something a little different from what I usually listen to.

Now to give Side B a chance.

Falchion

I wish I could sleep on her nomsaying?

But seriously, she's the best pop artist in the game. Can't get enough of her stuff.

Phreaker

EMOTION SIDE B is out now, dont sleep on it Gaf

It's so good! Wake up GAF and give into Carly Slay Godsend

emotionside.jpg

Gorillaz

This entire forum has been saying over and over again that Emotion is a banger with strong productions

It's friday, pulling up spotify, this better be legit

Certinty

Cry might be the best song of the year thus far for me.

I mean Emotion was my favourite album of last year by a long way but even this Side B album is amazing for what it is.

The real queen of pop!

Davey Cakes

This entire forum has been saying over and over again that Emotion is a banger with strong productions

It's friday, pulling up spotify, this better be legit
If you typically like pop music of this variety then you should love EMOTION.

If it's not your kind of thing, I don't think you'll be turned. But it's certainly better than some of the other pop options out there. It was a surprise for me, though I won't gush over it.

Coreda

People are sleeping on mainstream tracks with 36 million Youtube views? If you want a worthwhile artist that few here are aware of see Emilie Nicolas and her album Like I'm A Warrior. It's criminal how few know of that album, it's truly sensational.

Davey Cakes

People are sleeping on mainstream tracks with 36 million Youtube views? If you want a worthwhile artist that few here are aware of see Emilie Nicolas and her album Like I'm A Warrior. It's criminal how few know of that album, it's truly sensational.
Hey, I'll give that a go. My world is that of alternative listening, mostly.

But, I do occasionally dip into the more mainstream stuff. Carly is a nice way to keep me in tune with the world of pop in all its forms.

Listening to Side B now.

I think it was more of a reference to EMOTION being in many publications' top 10 pop albums for 2015, and yet was totally shut out of the Grammy's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom