• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people sleep on Carly Rae Jepsen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get'sMad

Been playing E-MO-TION since last summer and still put it on and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

I turned a ton of friends on to it who I would have never expected to dig it either.

She is fucking terrible.

Best Jepsen-related music thing is where they took the Call Me Maybe beat and added Trent Reznor's vocals from Head Like a Hole.

Emotion was like every shitty 80's music trope distilled into one album.

Leynos

I don't know who this person is, nor do I care.

But, I am baffled by the verbage in the title. "Sleep on"? What is the intended meaning? Is it to ignore?

"Call Me Maybe" was all about the song, not the artist. Many already had her pegged as a one-hit-wonder even when the song was hot. Furthermore, I think her name is unfortunate for marketing purposes, it sounds very country/southern and the sting of Miley Cyrus is still fresh in peoples' minds. I'm just saying that when a generic person picks out an unknown song/artist to play on Youtube, that name might scare some people away.

Captcha

Yo. I'm gonna go see her Tuesday. Not sleepin at all.

I'm going to her show at the Metro in a month and gonna see her at Pitchfork!

So envious. Have fun and keep me in your heart.

I actually really like some of the songs posted in here. I gotta check her album out. I abhor Call Me Maybe so I avoided everything else from her. I thought I was turning into the out of touch old guy (even though I'm only 24) when I saw her pop up so many times in the last AOTY thread.

I'm into Love me like that, thanks for the hookup OP

Listening to Gimmie Love as I type this, definitely my jam. So good.

Yesss, get into it.

There's this weird persecution complex in the cult of her fans where every few months someone tries to present the narrative that she's some unknown pop star despite the fact that

-She's had three hits that were all over pop radio (Call Me Maybe, Good Times and I Really Like You)
- She played Frenchie in Fox's Grease Live
- She's singing the theme song to one of the most highly anticipated tv shows of 2016

Yes, she's a great artist but stop trying to act like we don't know who she is: we're well aware of her.

Persecution complex, lol. She (to me) consistently releases good stuff. She has been flopping hard for a while now. Her most recognizable song isn't even in the top half of her discography, so there is a disconnect there for me. Music tastes differ, I know, and the point of me asking isn't trying to get people who would otherwise ignore pop to start listening to Carly. I'm more curious if the people who would otherwise listen to pop dismiss her for whatever reason.

Emotion is Pop excellence and it's so sad and disgusting that such a perfect Pop Album was neglected by every list and awards panel.

I never slept on Carly. She delivered one of the best albums of the year and was simply looked over. A travesty of epic proportions.

I agree.

You ask random people in public this too, right?

Why, you want to talk about Carly face-to-face? Skype me.

Because despite all the predictable indie blog hype she received due to her flopping, the tea is that her music just really isn't actually very good.

She is fucking terrible.

Best Jepsen-related music thing is where they took the Call Me Maybe beat and added Trent Reznor's vocals from Head Like a Hole.

tumblr_mraa2g35Js1s5ry43o1_400.gif

I don't know who this person is, nor do I care.

But, I am baffled by the verbage in the title. "Sleep on"? What is the intended meaning? Is it to ignore?

A cross between that and miss out on.

"Call Me Maybe" was all about the song, not the artist. Many already had her pegged as a one-hit-wonder even when the song was hot. Furthermore, I think her name is unfortunate for marketing purposes, it sounds very country/southern and the sting of Miley Cyrus is still fresh in peoples' minds. I'm just saying that when a generic person picks out an unknown song/artist to play on Youtube, that name might scare some people away.

Honestly I think her name is a big problem. Nobody can even spell/pronounce it.

My local radio station used to have this ad segment where they rattled off names of singers they featured. I always cringed because they would say "Carly Rae Jespen." I've seen/heard others doing that too.

Also easy to mistake Carley or Carlie or Ray.

She is fucking terrible.

A Carly Rae Jepson thread wouldn't be the same without you grinding your axe. I love how salty you are about her.

awful voice. her stans are always reaching, but like.. just get over it. if u like it, like it. this weird "waaah nobody respects queen" narrative is boring. this is literally the 2nd thread with this exact title.

y2dvd

I didn't like her first album and the second one was whatever but I really
really really really really really
like EMOTIONS. Gimme Love was honestly probably my jam of the year in 2015 lol.

Saw her this past Friday and she's great live. Great vocals and stage presence. Also a lot tinier in person.

Shirow

Banned
Listened to it again and sorry but it's average. I can't find a single song from it that differentiates itself from the others so much so that there isn't any high or low points in excitement on it.

The lyrics sound like they were produced in a board room and Carly doesn't really stand out vocally from any other pop singer out there.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Listened to it again and sorry but it's average. I can't find a single song from it that differentiates itself from the others so much so that there isn't any high or low points in excitement on it.

What does this even mean? You think all the songs sound the same?

I regret positing in this thread. I just like her new album and I generally don't enjoy modern pop music. I don't think I have a persecution complex, lol.

ilikeme

I only really like Let's Get Lost and I Didn't Just Come Here to Dance.

But she's really cute when she wanders around Tokyo eating sweets.

The lyrics sound like they were produced in a board room and Carly doesn't really stand out vocally from any other pop singer out there.

Plus the production is really just a revival of generic 80s movie soundtrack production. You could put these beats in a John Hughes movie.

Lender

I'm not the biggest pop fan, but that album is one of my personal favorites of 2015. Such a perfect summer album. So damn weird that she receives such little recognition.

Probably the only decent Pop artist out there right now.

Adele is a power house sure, but my god is she borderline awful.
Taylor Swift can be ok, but gets annoying quick.
Justin Bieber, no matter how "decent" his new album is, is still awful, just better than his older work.
Kesha, Rihanna, Beyonce, Meghan Trainor, Madonna, Britney Spears etc; the list goes on and on. They are all awful, awful, awful.

I would rather listen to Kanye West and Drake over these talentless hacks, and I hate both of these guys.

Are you mad? this stuff is hammered on Top 40 radio all the time.

Slept on Carly Rae lol.

If your into her you may rate a little known artist Taylor swift

Captcha

She used up all her goodwill with Call Me Maybe before she'd even built any up.

Yep, which is a shame. I like that people are posting songs of hers that they enjoy. Maybe some who like pop but are dismissive of her will give her a second chance.

Are you mad? this stuff is hammered on Top 40 radio all the time.

Slept on Carly Rae lol.

If your into her you may rate a little known artist Taylor swift

Uh, no. She has been on a precipitous downward trajectory after Call Me Maybe.

Probably the only decent Pop artist out there right now.

Adele is a power house sure, but my god is she borderline awful.
Taylor Swift can be ok, but gets annoying quick.
Justin Bieber, no matter how "decent" his new album is, is still awful, just better than his older work.
Kesha, Rihanna, Beyonce, Meghan Trainor, Madonna, Britney Spears etc; the list goes on and on. They are all awful, awful, awful.

I would rather listen to Kanye West and Drake over these talentless hacks, and I hate both of these guys.

Gaga and Lorde are a lot better.

Palocca

Emotion was easily my favorite pop album of last year.

I went to her concert last night and she was incredible as always.

I think she's glossed over because her voice doesn't really have a "wow" factor. As in, she needs to show that she has range or some power behind her voice. I honestly think that she needs to incorporate some ad-libbing in the climax of her songs.

I noticed the praise the album was getting on here, so I decided to buy it while it was on sale. It has quickly become one of my favorite albums in the past few years. I wrote her off due to Call Me Maybe getting overplayed and thinking she was just a one hit wonder.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
She needs to put some stank on it. Grab me. Offend me. Make me feel something. Girl is the pumpkin spice latte of pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom