• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people sleep on Carly Rae Jepsen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
All That with Blood Orange

What a tune

tumblr_nkio2jiqwk1r1d4seo1_500.gif

Show me if you want me, show me if you care

I actually really like some of the songs posted in here. I gotta check her album out. I abhor Call Me Maybe so I avoided everything else from her. I thought I was turning into the out of touch old guy (even though I'm only 24) when I saw her pop up so many times in the last AOTY thread.

Sounds same-y to other pop artists that do her shtick better. Call me Maybe was more unique, she should have gone with that style

Quick

Banned
Run Away With Me is a great song. Great incorporation of the saxophone. I kind of wish she kept the saxophone (prominently, if it is on another track) on at least another song.

I Really Like You is the curveball of the album. Releasing it as the first single is kind of funny, since I find that it's notably different compared to the rest tracks on the album.

Emotion is a really good album. Easy to listen to, and not one notably bad track. Highly recommended.

Alphahawk

There's this weird persecution complex in the cult of her fans where every few months someone tries to present the narrative that she's some unknown pop star despite the fact that

-She's had three hits that were all over pop radio (Call Me Maybe, Good Times and I Really Like You)
- She played Frenchie in Fox's Grease Live
- She's singing the theme song to one of the most highly anticipated tv shows of 2016

Yes, she's a great artist but stop trying to act like we don't know who she is: we're well aware of her.

Sounds same-y to other pop artists that do her shtick better. Call me Maybe was more unique, she should have gone with that style

Eh, I don't agree. I don't really think a lot of artists are similar to the sound of E•MO•TION and 1989 that are female pop stars. The 80s influenced sound was pretty heavy in the indie/electronic scene for quite a few years, but I find that there aren't a whole lot of female pop stars taking that sound and running with it. The only thing I can think of that was critically acclaimed outside of E•MO•TION and 1989 with that sound is Sky Ferreira's Night Time, My Time.

Charli XCX should fill that niche, but not Carly Rae Jepsen. I think she should stick to more varied styles of pop, not just the PC Music trend. I'd love it if she experimented with more live instrumentation, unconventional producers, and more. Working with Ariel Rechtshaid, Rostam Batmanglij, Blood Orange, and more gave her the indie cred she needed, and she should work more with them.

Yeah, the new Charli XCX stuff with SOPHIE is pretty amazing. Looking forward to the record.

atr0cious

Does she have anything not bubbly pop-rock? Her songs I've heard so far, are like eating a krispy kreme donut for me, I get a third into it, and I'm sick of it already. Even that Black Heart song didn't feel a touch morose.

Not a single Grammy nomination for EMOTION either.

Wish she was touring in Canada by herself but I guess I'll see her when she tours with Hedley (barf).

Emotion is Pop excellence and it's so sad and disgusting that such a perfect Pop Album was neglected by every list and awards panel.

I never slept on Carly. She delivered one of the best albums of the year and was simply looked over. A travesty of epic proportions.

highrider

Banned
She's really talented, but in pop it seems like you need a hook more based on personality, who you date, your wild life. By all appearances she seems well adjusted and grounded. That's not necessarily good in today's pop market.

nukedeggs

Man I loved EMOTION! Such a great album - I was really surprised, because I personally was not a big fan of Call Me Maybe, but Run Away With Me is my jam. Super stoked to see her live. I'm just going to quote this RYM review because it's pretty much how I felt when I listened to Run Away With Me for the first time:
epithalamion said:
"I'll be a sinner in secret" – like, the way she delivers that line. Like, the halogen fireworks shredding the night sky behind her. Just the sense of everything coming gorgeously and catastrophically together in the execution of that hook. Just the sense of the song having an epicenter, of all its meaning and longing drifting across the verses as if pooling down a steep grade into a seabed huge enough to carry a flood of this magnitude.

If you've ever looked across the bleachers at someone amazing in the grass under the blazing moon and the soft perfection of the stadium lights and, as the fluorescence sublimates their shadow out of existence and makes them stark and sublime in their three dimensions, thought "this is my last chance," then you already get this song.

Emotion is Pop excellence and it's so sad and disgusting that such a perfect Pop Album was neglected by every list and awards panel.

I never slept on Carly. She delivered one of the best albums of the year and was simply looked over. A travesty of epic proportions.
I think Time, Stereogum, Tiny Mixtapes, and Pitchfork's Readers Poll all had EMOTION on the top album lists. So there's some consolation!

TheChaos

Everyone almost immediately wrote her off as a pop one-hit wonder. I got tickets to see her at the end of this moth and I couldn't convince any of my friends to see her with me. =(

KraytarJ

Emotion is a fantastic pop album and it's shocking that not even the fucking Junos, our own stupid music awards, can recognize that. Her debut is slick too, all around her stuff is awesome.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Real easy to get jaded on an artist after the ubiquity of Call Me Maybe. I know that was the primary reason I slept on her so long. Randomly listened to Emotion and it was easily one of my favs last year. So many absolute bangers. I tried to go back and listen to Kiss and I'm about half and half on it. It's a little too manufactured, bubble-gummy for my tastes. Her producers really killed it on Emotion tho.

Zutroy

Run Away with Me followed by Your Type was divine. It's tragic it barely made a bump in the charts and most people haven't heard them.

FZZ

Banned
I wish I could sleep on Carly Rae Jepsen

But probably because she's one of the most lowkey pop idols man.

When i first heard that she had a new album i was like meh, i got real sick of call me maybe and I didnt listen to her stuff. But then once i gave emotion a listen i really liked it.

Have listened to it for a while and finally bought the cd last week. I really like it. The last gaf thread on her is what made me first listen.

Because despite all the predictable indie blog hype she received due to her flopping, the tea is that her music just really isn't actually very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom