• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superstore |OT| Not that one, Canada

ElRenoRaven

wZmY9IC.jpg

Since we don't have an OT I made one. Now on with the show.

What is Superstore you may ask. Well I'll shamelessly steal NBC's description.

America Ferrera ("Ugly Betty") and Ben Feldman ("Mad Men," "A to Z") star in a hilarious workplace comedy (from the producer of "The Office") about a unique family of employees at a supersized megastore. From the bright-eyed newbies and the seen-it-all veterans to the clueless summer hires and the in-it-for-life managers, together they hilariously tackle the day-to-day grind of rabid bargain hunters, riot-causing sales and nap-worthy training sessions.

Justin Spitzer serves as writer and executive producer. David Bernad and director Ruben Fleischer also executive produce. "Superstore" is produced by Universal Television and the District.

aLL6Jg0.jpg

All you need to know is that all these folks are funny as hell.

When does it air you might ask. Well it has been airing on Mondays on NBC but It just had it's season Finale this week. Good news though because you can watch all 11 episodes of season 1 beginning with the pilot right at the link below.

Watch Episodes on NBC.com

BTW folks I know you're saying but PsychoRaven I don't want to watch a show that won't be renewed for another season. Well good news because....

pzZGYUQ.jpg

23qwerty

I've heard some comparisons to Community which is some real high praise. Might have to check it out at some point.

VanWinkle

FINALLY a thread for this. Best NBC comedy since the magic four (Office, P&R, 30 Rock, Community). Very, very funny. I was uncertain in the first couple of episodes but I've really come around.

I was somewhat surprised by how much I truly like it

Season 1 Finale spoilers kind of:
The Union phone bit was fantastic

My family watches this and every time I get glimpses of it I'm reminded of 10 Items or Less, a show I really enjoyed.

It definitely seems more conventional than that show.

ElRenoRaven

I've heard some comparisons to Community which is some real high praise. Might have to check it out at some point.

You should. It's beyond hilarious. It's weird because it's very true to how crazy working a big store like that is. People are crazy. The little bits you see in the background while the show is going on are just hilarious because of how true they are.

G0523

I'm surprised there wasn't a OT for this show. Watched the season finale last night and the entire first season was just great. Very relatable since many of us have worked at similar jobs. It's also really funny. I hope season 2 comes back just as funny.

sophora

A friend and I blazed through all of season 1 after enjoying the pilot a couple days ago. Resonates a little because of my time working retail haha. Love the show, it's lighthearted yet real sometimes about stuff with retail. Definitely looking forward to Season two!

blamite

Really glad there's a thread for this! Much like Community, I had very low expectations for the show going in, but I've been really impressed with how good the show really is
Communitu it still way better but that's neither here nor there
. It really feels like a true successor to The Office (not ounting Parks and Rec because the workplace aspect here is so much more prominent). The lock-in episode especially reminded me of the best moments of The Office.

I haven't watched this week's episode yet but I didn't realize it was the season finale. ;_; I'm really relieved to here a second season is confirmed though, this being NBC I was pretty worried it wouldn't happen. Hopefully it's full length this time?

More like Outsourced.

As someone who works nights at Wal-Mart this show definitely has many moments that feel exactly like it.
I'd even say my assistant manager is more silly that the one on the show.

Kieli

The Real Canadian Superstore (that's actually owned by an American company just like every other major Canadian company, lol)

Akahige

The show looks cute enough, I'll check it out.

There is only 11 episodes and the show improves as it goes along?

PrawnyNZ

Just finished the finale, probably my favourite new comedy of the past few months even though it has an Office/Trollied vibe. Great to see it got renewed, it deserves it.

golem

The promos looked pretty dumb, but its actually really really good. Watched all the episodes in just the last week or two and they were all good to great. Just read that the Union episode was the finale? That sucks!

Gobbly

Banned
Saw this on Hulu, gave it a blind watch (I have never even heard of the show here in the UK) and we loved it. Great show, really glad it's been renewed.

Kaizer

Banned
Have really been enjoying and how it's improved from week to week. The first two episodes were the weakest, but I've laughing ever since then. It definitely gives off that "The Office" vibe, which I really enjoy.

I found myself really enjoying this show as well. The first two episodes are the weakest but it gets really good after that. I love all the different characters and there are tons of quotable lines. Glenn's weiner rant in the finale was great. Mateo is my absolute favorite though.

I'm so happy Superstore is getting a second season. I was so skeptical when watching the promos before it aired, but thankfully the show quickly dispelled my skepticism after the first couple of episodes.

It's a good show put on after a shit day.

ElRenoRaven

I'm so happy Superstore is getting a second season. I was so skeptical when watching the promos before it aired, but thankfully the show quickly dispelled my skepticism after the first couple of episodes.

It's a good show put on after a shit day.

Yea. The promos were not great. I said screw it and checked it out when they aired the "preview" which was the pilot and loved it. NBC did not help it's start by doing a preview episode then releasing episode 2 online and then skipping 3 weeks and then starting with episode 3 for the "season premiere". Really had me worried. Then it premiered and luckily each week it kept improving. I was head over heals when NBC renewed.

I absolutely love this show. The characters are spot on. I might be biased however, as I work in a retail department store not unlike Cloud 9 and many of the situations that unfold in every episode (albeit not nearly as dramatic) have some familiarity that adds to my enjoyment. I was not aware that the most recent episode was the season finale, but I'm happy a second season has been announced. I look forward to seeing the repercussions of the
walkout

Entropia

No One Remembers
The Real Canadian Superstore (that's actually owned by an American company just like every other major Canadian company, lol)

Loblaw / Weston is very much a Canadian company.

Anyways, I checked this show out the other weekend based on recommendations I had seen on reddit and here and I'm enjoying it. It's not absolutely amazing but still pretty enjoyable.

The way Mark McKinney's character talk absolutely grates me though.

hbkdx12

I like the show a lot.

Most of the characters are incredibly enjoyable. Dina (love her!) and garrett are never not entertaining.

But man, amy is a bit of a buzzkill. I don't think it's AF's fault, the character just seems like such a wet rag most of the time that it ruins her likeability.

ElRenoRaven

I like the show a lot.

Most of the characters are incredibly enjoyable. Dina (love her!) and garrett are never not entertaining.

But man, amy is a bit of a buzzkill. I don't think it's AF's fault, the character just seems like such a wet rag most of the time that it ruins her likeability.

I dunno. I like Amy. She's obviously the most sane one there next to Jonah. You're right though and that's her job on the show. She's supposed to be the one that realizes that everything around them is insane and life isn't all roses. That is what makes her a good foil for Jonah to work off of. It's his mission to show her that the world isn't just a shit sandwich like she thinks it is.

Sober

The show is definitely enjoyable. Gets much better the further you go on. The one where everyone gets locked in overnight is one of the better ones honestly.

There's a few things I would like the show to explore more, like who these people are when not at work. Cause I know even in retail sometimes you just have people who become friends at work then hang out even afterwards and all that.

But yeah, great show, so glad it's getting a second season.

Also I'm totally Jonah when it comes to the character archetypes, like stupidly close sometimes. I don't think I've ever run into anyone working retail like him because I am him.

ElRenoRaven

You know the quotes they post on their facebook page are just awesome. They always manage to pick the great lines. Example

r6AF47p.jpg

If it's as good as you guys are saying, I should check it out. I loved America Ferrera in Ugly Betty- a show I still hold fondly in my heart- so I might give this a shot.

Top Bottom