• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superstore |OT| Not that one, Canada

ElRenoRaven

It was a re-run last night, right?

Yup. Sadly. Shows this season on all channels have been sporadic. You'll have a couple weeks of new episodes then a few weeks of repeats, then a new episode or two, and then another few weeks of repeats. It's actually getting very annoying. These networks wonder why people are cutting the cord it's because of this shit. I mean why go through that when you can just wait and binge it all at the end of each season.

vypek

Yup. Sadly. Shows this season on all channels have been sporadic. You'll have a couple weeks of new episodes then a few weeks of repeats, then a new episode or two, and then another few weeks of repeats. It's actually getting very annoying. These networks wonder why people are cutting the cord it's because of this shit. I mean why go through that when you can just wait and binge it all at the end of each season.

Thanks, both of you. When I saw the topic bumped I was worried that my DVR had some issue and missed a new episode.

PsychoRaven, I agree with you. The scheduling on TV seems so odd at times when they decide to take breaks. NBC is giving Trial and Error a consistent two new episodes a week with occasional re-runs later in the week but other shows are just missing for a week or two. And its not just NBC. I don't get it but I guess there is much more to TV scheduling than I realize.

ElRenoRaven

I've really been enjoying the slow build towards Amy/Jonah.

Cheyene losing Bobby Sue was good fun.

Yup. You can see it's gonna happen. It's just when. It's weird I always hate the will they won't they thing on shows minus like one other show and that was Scrubs with JD & Elliot. This show though is the 2nd show I'm ok with it. I just love the way their character play off each other.

Yup. You can see it's gonna happen. It's just when. It's weird I always hate the will they won't they thing on shows minus like one other show and that was Scrubs with JD & Elliot. This show though is the 2nd show I'm ok with it. I just love the way their character play off each other.

Yeah, it has been one of the best executed arcs on the show and makes it so good is they haven't forced it.

ElRenoRaven

Yup and the next 2 weeks after that. So 3 weeks of new episodes. Then the season is over. After that the long wait for next season begins.

jobrro

"What is the biggest dog you have ever seen? And why?"

"Do you have a Mexican version of a churro?"

LOL.

This show does not get enough love, on GAF anyway. Happy it has a few episodes in a row.

ElRenoRaven

LOL.

This show does not get enough love, on GAF anyway. Happy it has a few episodes in a row.

Yea it doesn't. Slowly but surely someone new always finds it though. Also seeing more articles online singing the praises of the show so eventually I think we'll see it a lot more popular.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

LOL.

It's my favorite airing comedy right now, with trail and error in a close 2nd.

LOL.

Glenn is such a lovable oddball.

Bo though? Ugh. Way too over the top. I can't tell if it's the writing's fault or if it's the actor (who I can totally recognize from Ant-Man and Soon of Zorn). But, man I can't recall a character that's been so PAINFUL to watch on screen. Anyone else feel that way?

ElRenoRaven

Bo though? Ugh. Way too over the top. I can't tell if it's the writing's fault or if it's the actor (who I can totally recognize from Ant-Man and Soon of Zorn). But, man I can't recall a character that's been so PAINFUL to watch on screen. Anyone else feel that way?

He's ok in very small doses. He is probably my least favorite character though no doubt. Last weeks episode pushed it for me. He's best at about 5 minutes once or twice a season.

Gisele

Banned

I like him a lot, but he does tend to drown out the episodes he's featured in. The current balance is pretty good in my opinion.

jobrro

Really enjoyed the new episode.

The running joke of Garrett telling Myrtle that Beau was actually a woman was pretty funny with a few pay offs.

Also Dina as a bridesmaid was about as good as groomsmen as you would expect from Dwight (of The Office). Liked the line "I can't move the sun!'.

Probably one the better episodes for me this season, seemed to be firing on all cylinders.

vypek

Really enjoyed the new episode.

The running joke of Garrett telling Myrtle that Beau was actually a woman was pretty funny with a few pay offs.

Also Dina as a bridesmaid was about as good as groomsmen as you would expect from Dwight (of The Office). Liked the line "I can't move the sun!'.

Probably one the better episodes for me this season, seemed to be firing on all cylinders.

Yeah and finally something good for Sandra...Sandy? Lol. Idk but good for her. I hate relationships that start and then fizzle out quickly so I'll be bothered if Jonah and Glenn's daughter have completely broken up.

Jim

Superstore does cringe really well, and that episode had a lot of it. Dina continues to not give a shit. DJ Garrett working the mic like the P.A. and convincing Myrtle that it was a lesbian wedding was definitely funny. Bilbo Derek, still annoying, but he plays the part well. I liked how he spoke "normal" when around his own family. Jonah is into tall, blonde, blue-eyed girls... and short asians. Jeff is still piiisssed. Sandra finally gets a bit of a win. Amy and Jonah scenes seemed genuine enough.

This episode definitely turned up the awkward whenever Jonah/Amy were around. Amy looked great in that bridesmaid dress.

Next week is the finale, feel it with end with another step towards Jonah/Amy.

MC Safety

Did not like the wedding episode.

It was classic overwriting, ODTAA (one damn thing after another) and the sort of forced insanity that makes me painfully aware I'm watching a wacky sitcom.

It was all a blur of awful. Like Dina's presence. Suffering her at work is one thing, but inviting her to a wedding? Or good guy Glenn waiting until the worst possible moment to reveal layoffs. Or Jonah forsaking his new girlfriend in order to stumble around in front of his crush and her husband.

The only good part of that episode was Sandra. That was a nice payoff to a sweet storyline.

ElRenoRaven

A lot of sitcom couples lose their steam when they finally get together, and I've never been a fan of homewrecker plotlines to begin with.

I wouldn't call it a homewrecker plotline though. Amy and her husband as this episode showed were doomed. They married cause she got pregnant and at a young age. Jonah has actually done a good job out of staying out of their marriage since he found out she was married. That's the whole reason he was so awkward around them this week. He had been actively trying to avoid being the reason for their marriage's failure. Oddly enough this reminds me of folks I knew in high school. A few got married right out of high school either due to getting pregnant or just being young and stupid. Needless to say those marriages did not last.

So Amy and her husband's marriage failing is on them. This is why I like this too because what is happening to Amy and her husband is why she is so protective of Cheyenne. She sees that this poor girl is probably making the same mistakes she made. Granted Cheyenne is a lot dumber then Amy is and probably was.

I loved the episode too. It showed that in spite of what these people say they're are like a second family to each other. A weird dysfunctional as hell family but still a family.

The Office playbook says that their wedding is in four more seasons.

Oh it will be a lot longer. I see it playing out like this. You'll have her going through the marriage dissolving, divorce, etc. Then she'll go through phases of anger, etc. Eventually she'll be cautious to put her heart out there. There will be some missed chances with Jonah then I figure toward the end of the series they'll finally get together. Basically they'll follow the Eliot/JD Scrubs path of will they won't they. I'm ok with that too. More so because the characters really do make a cute couple that you want to route for.

Shows great. Some genuinely laugh out loud moments every show. Some great characters and love America Ferrera. Also Jonah is a dream boat. Can't believe he's 36 :eek:

Shows great. Some genuinely laugh out loud moments every show. Some great characters and love America Ferrera. Also Jonah is a dream boat. Can't believe he's 36 :eek:

Wow, this made me double check after my original reply and I've had Ben Feldman/Jonah mixed up with Thomas Ian Nicholas this whole time.

Gisele

Banned
I wouldn't call it a homewrecker plotline though. Amy and her husband as this episode showed were doomed. They married cause she got pregnant and at a young age. Jonah has actually done a good job out of staying out of their marriage since he found out she was married. That's the whole reason he was so awkward around them this week. He had been actively trying to avoid being the reason for their marriage's failure. Oddly enough this reminds me of folks I knew in high school. A few got married right out of high school either due to getting pregnant or just being young and stupid. Needless to say those marriages did not last.

So Amy and her husband's marriage failing is on them. This is why I like this too because what is happening to Amy and her husband is why she is so protective of Cheyenne. She sees that this poor girl is probably making the same mistakes she made. Granted Cheyenne is a lot dumber then Amy is and probably was.

I loved the episode too. It showed that in spite of what these people say they're are like a second family to each other. A weird dysfunctional as hell family but still a family.

He's stopped being an active agent early on, correct, but the more he withdraws the closer Amy tries to get back to him, which feels like it pulls her further from her husband. I didn't really get the sense that she was dissatisfied with her husband until Jonah came along. And then the shotgun wedding bomb this week seemed like a cheap way to reassure people that it's okay because they were doomed from the start. Idk.

They also made Jonah and Kristin awkward for no reason this episode. They worked absolutely perfectly before and she was savvy enough to see through Amy trying to sabotage them, so her lack of patience this episode was highly inconsistent.

ElRenoRaven

He's stopped being an active agent early on, correct, but the more he withdraws the closer Amy tries to get back to him, which feels like it pulls her further from her husband. I didn't really get the sense that she was dissatisfied with her husband until Jonah came along. And then the shotgun wedding bomb this week seemed like a cheap way to reassure people that it's okay because they were doomed from the start. Idk.

They also made Jonah and Kristin awkward for no reason this episode. They worked absolutely perfectly before and she was savvy enough to see through Amy trying to sabotage them, so her lack of patience this episode was highly inconsistent.

I don't think the marriage has ever been shown as anything but rocky. The first time we find anything out about the state of their marriage is the episode where we're introduced to her husband and Jonah is trying to sell her husband the grill setup. Right then we're shown from the moment introduced that the marriage wasn't on the best of terms as shown by the way the hubby talked about how she treated his hobby. Then at the end of that episode with their fight you could tell it wasn't a marriage that was headed toward bliss. So the marriage has always been painted as in trouble. It's just that as time has gone on it's become more and more troubled as they tend to become.

Once Jonah found out about that he was her husband and that they couldn't afford the grill setup he kept trying keep it friendly. I think her being drawn to Jonah is more on her and her dissatisfaction with the marriage. Jonah is obviously the nice guy and she can feel the spark between them. Hell everyone can feel it between them. So there is going to be the whole grass is greener on the other side feeling.

The wedding is just the catalyst for the end of the marriage. Imagine being in the situation they are and then having to go to a wedding for a happy couple. It's going to make your situation being shitty more obvious to you. Hence her being down in the dumps at the end with her realizing that her marriage is a failure. For Jonah yea he likes this girl no doubt. So for him being around her and the hubby is gonna be awkward cause he likes her but he wants to respect their marriage. Hence the awkwardness between them.

That's just how I see it. Hell not everyone is gonna like every episode though. So this one didn't click with you. It's all cool. Next week should be interesting though because now we'll have the fallout from Glenn having to lay off some of the staff. That's why I think this show works. Yea there is this romance but it's not the focus every week which is a good thing.

Gisele

Banned
Yeah, that's fair. And for what it's worth I like the show a lot. I guess I just like it more when it's about random hijinks.

ElRenoRaven

Yeah, that's fair. And for what it's worth I like the show a lot. I guess I just like it more when it's about random hijinks.

Can't blame you. I am usually one that isn't a fan of the whole will they won't they thing but once in a blue moon I do. This show the reason I do I think is because it was from the start and wasn't a random on these two suddenly develop feelings thing like a lot of shows do. Also yea the hijinks are always the best part. That's why I do like that the romance stuff is light and not a focus every week. That's the risk they run and something I feel they do a good job of walking a line on so far. If it were to become the focus every week then it would really get old fast. Friends was a show that to me was a prime example of this. The constant focus on the romances at the end of that show really hurt the last few seasons I think.

I didn't expect the tornado to be as bad it was, I thought it would just be a scare.

Considering the circumstances it gave them an out for not delving into the kiss more.

Sandra has become one of my favorites, out of the supporting cast.

SMH @ Dina giving the helmet to Alisha over Garrett.

jobrro

Well that escalated quickly.

I really loved the end of last season, it had a lot of heart. Was somewhat disappointed in the start of the season in the way they dealt with last year's finale.

I still expect the mains and most of the periphery characters to be around even if split between stores in the beginning of season three.

However they deal with it, appreciate the effort they put into these season finales. I can't see what they can do to top it next season (
Thanos?
). Maybe high degree of automation with robots. Online sector?

ElRenoRaven

Well that escalated quickly.

I really loved the end of last season, it had a lot of heart. Was somewhat disappointed in the start of the season in the way they dealt with last year's finale.

I still expect the mains and most of the periphery characters to be around even if split between stores in the beginning of season three.

However they deal with it, appreciate the effort they put into these season finales. I can't see what they can do to top it next season (
Thanos?
). Maybe high degree of automation with robots. Online sector?

I think the mains will be around at the same store. It was only 6 that they had to get rid of mind you. They also had a lot off unknown characters that can fill that role. Then you already have one gone with the unfortunate disappearance. I won't say death cause there was no body found. Speaking of which I loved their last and only words. Oh shit! lmao

MC Safety

They finally gave Brett a line.

Also, the Mazzy Star song at the end was absolutely fitting.

Oh, and I don't think they showed
I feel foolish for putting this in spoilers, but anything for the cause: Myrtle/the old lady
at the end.

Why not? 36 is not old damn it.

I'm not saying he's old (I'm 35 this year so I hope not :p ). He's just got a youngish look about him (might help he doesn't have a beard) and a fantastic hairline/hair. He looks late twenties at most. He's doing very well for his age.

I shat bricks when they showed you Amy's dad in the show. Genius. And cried some happy tears :,)

Good ending. Really enjoyed s2 more than s1 but both were fun and great to watch. Can't wait for more. Defo has become one of my faves.

jobrro

I think the mains will be around at the same store. It was only 6 that they had to get rid of mind you. They also had a lot off unknown characters that can fill that role. Then you already have one gone with the unfortunate disappearance. I won't say death cause there was no body found. Speaking of which I loved their last and only words. Oh shit! lmao

Not really worried about the firings from the previous episode but in the final episode
their store was heavily damaged/destroyed by a cyclone.

This is network television, it will all work out most likely, but this show goes in deep with their finales.

Bluth54

I'm not saying he's old (I'm 35 this year so I hope not :p ). He's just got a youngish look about him (might help he doesn't have a beard) and a fantastic hairline/hair. He looks late twenties at most. He's doing very well for his age.

Wow that is stocking that Jonah's actor is in his mid 30s, I would of guessed he's in his mid 20s.

Yeah, I do wonder where they're going with destroying the store, that one shot where they were coming out of the back of the store from two directions really showed how small the building its set in really is. They've normally done a decent job at making it look bigger, wonder if shooting will be moving somewhere else.

ElRenoRaven

Yeah, I do wonder where they're going with destroying the store, that one shot where they were coming out of the back of the store from two directions really showed how small the building its set in really is. They've normally done a decent job at making it look bigger, wonder if shooting will be moving somewhere else.

They have nowhere to move. The show moved to studio lot after the pilot. So the sets are all done on the studio lot. Only the pilot was shot in a Kmart.

vypek

Oh they did? Eh, well at least the store will probably get some sort of redesign.

Yeah I'm thinking this is a redesign. Someone had a vision of what they wanted the store to look like sometime this season I believe. Maybe it'll be that. :)

Looking forward to the return of this show. Really enjoyed it

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Why do so many TV shows have characters named Jonah? I have never met anyone named Jonah.

Top Bottom