• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Water guns will be banned at the RNC — firearms won't be

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/water-guns-banned-rnc-firearms-won-article-1.2695913

That’s some watered-down logic.

Protesters flooding the streets outside the Republican National Convention in Cleveland won’t be allowed to come with Super Soakers — but they’ll be able to bring a loaded firearm.

Strict RNC rules call for a ban on soda cans, glass bottles, tennis balls, umbrellas with metal tips and “any projectile launcher” like BB guns, paintball guns and water guns in the 1.7-square-mile “event zone” surrounding the Quicken Loans Arena convention site, where 2,470 delegates will gather to officially name Donald Trump as the party’s nominee.

But pistol-packing protesters — as per Ohio’s lax open-carry laws — can freely carry in public areas, like parks, within the designated zones around the venue.

The GOP, ladies and gentlemen.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well water is likely to melt most of the convention so this makes sense.

Volimar

QhZQA5E.gif

OHIO!

This is going to be shit that 50 years from now people are going to be reading and say to themselves "holy shit, these guys made decisions for the most powerful country in the world?"

MJPIA

Not surprising when state law allows it.
Theres not really anything Cleveland can do about it.
Either way the only people with guns in the convention itself will be secret service once it starts due to federal laws.

linkboy

Wouldn't be infringing on a person's second amendment rights?

Nowhere does is specify in the 2nd that the arms that an individual is allowed to bear has to shoot bullets.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
But guns of any kind won’t be allowed inside the arena when the convention takes place July 18-21. That’s because the area has been deemed by the Secret Service as a “protected site” where only law enforcement officers can carry guns — but even some gun zealots have fought that rule.
Trump, who has been endorsed by the National Rifle Association, remains under Secret Service protection. The presumptive GOP presidential nominee said in January that he would eliminate gun-free zones on “my first day” in the White House.

I wonder if the irony of this is completely lost on the GOP or if they just don't care.

Guessing it's the latter.

Wouldn't any firearm be considered a projectile launcher?

I mean, really.

At this point we should probably be setting up the trebuchets just outside of there, though. Fill 'em with water balloons.

Kuroyume

Banned
Protestors are more likely to own, or purchase and bring a water gun to the RNC than an actual gun. I can definitely see protestors bringing water guns to annoy people. So, it sorta make sense. But yeah, I can definitely see a whacko protestor trying to harm someone or a loose cannon Trump supporter getting pissed off and using their gun.

Media

I can see the logic in this. I mean, if someone shoots someone with a water gun and it pissed them off, they might pull out their gun and start firing. Water guns are dangerous.

LordRaptor

I can see the logic in this. I mean, if someone shoots someone with a water gun and it pissed them off, they might pull out their gun and start firing. Water guns are dangerous.

But if water guns are banned then only the criminals have water guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom