• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leslie Jones currently going HAM on racist internet trolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
5dh1MIV.png

LK3qVjH.png

mo2IjpO.png

FmUD2FX.png

VGWb8OJ.png

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
So fucking messed up. Good on her for exposing these racists, but now they are going to come out of the woodwork to attack her. Sucks.

I thought she was fucking hilarious in GB btw.

Sanjuro

Gross.

Even prior to her casting in the new Ghostbusters film, a lot of individuals seem to have a problem with Leslie.

User1608

Banned
Omg. Just watched GB and she's wonderful and my favorite actress in it.

Fuck racists. Wonder how some of these shits lived with Ernie Hudson...

Twitter is a godawful site in terms of moderation. The Constitution of Twitter must protect free speech!

That said, step away from the computer and let some PR person put out some fun stuff for your movie's opening weekend please, Leslie.

That said, I relate to her. Where's her cast members or director defending the particular racist vitriol leveled at her versus the relatively impersonal attacks against them? That must be a stressful burden and she has the right to defend herself and expose this underbelly to the public!

Yikes!

Dali

Twitter is neigh impossible to read conversations it seems, but I gather from what are basically one half the conversation for a lot of her replies she's not pulling punches with racist assholes.

SoulUnison

Banned
Racist anonymous internet trolls are awful, but she's not lookin' great with all these half-assed replies.

Just ignore them and let their words stand as their own embarrassment.

This is disgusting, I'm glad she's exposing them. What drives people to post sickening shit like that? Man, I love GAF, but some days I just can't even step over to the off-topic forum

SpaceWolf

Banned
Just reading through now. Deplorable.

Although she seems to have highlighted one of the tweets calling her "savage" (as in ruthless), which she seems to have misinterpreted as something else entirely.

None of that obviously takes anything away from any of the other horrible stuff she's received, though. Good on her for highlighting this.

DeathyBoy

Banned
why are they piling up on her and why is she not ignoring random twitter trolls ?

Think of how much random shit you get sent on Twitter. Times that by a thousand, constantly telling you that you have a new notification fifty times per second.

Fj0823

Can't say her response is professional.

But these fuckers deserve to be called out, ignoring them only makes them feel untouchable

Kimawolf

I didn't even think the movie was special, but now I hope they make a million more and keep using that cast. Fucking clowns its just a movie! Calling someone an ape is the kind of bullshit i'd expect in 1950. Get real.

Fuck those haters Leslie and make your money.

That ape thing really pisses me off....

Goodstyle

This is disgusting, I'm glad she's exposing them. What drives people to post sickening shit like that? Man, I love GAF, but some days I just can't even step over to the off-topic forum

There's an interesting discussion to be had here though: Should she be responding to them? Is that feeding the trolls? Or, is it important that the world knows what she's going through to give an idea of what it's like being a black person in the spotlight.

Ivan 3414

That really sucks

On the same token(not that it justifies the abuse) it would be nice if the vast majority of her acting career wasn't about perpetuating black stereotypes

Sanjuro

There's an interesting discussion to be had here though: Should she be responding to them? Is that feeding the trolls? Or, is it important that the world knows what she's going through to give an idea of what it's like being a black person in the spotlight.

She has been pretty outspoken on twitter in general.

Fuck racists. Wonder how some of these shits lived with Ernie Hudson...

Not sure this is a good pound for pound comparison.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
See, here's what sucks for her, and I genuinely feel bad for her:

So she gets to star in a reboot of a classic movie. Said reboot gets totally shit on until it comes out. Then it comes out and it actually gets a relatively warm embrace. People like it! She can rejoice-- they did a good job!

Then BOOM. Fuckin hateful racist pricks try to just knock her down on Twitter. Like, what the fuck is wrong with people?

Bad Trip

Banned
Why even respond . Why not just block them and not even have the pointless back and forth. It's not like these people posting racist shit are people of any importance. Just block and move on .

why are they piling up on her and why is she not ignoring random twitter trolls ?

Because she's in Ghostbusters.

Imagine the sheer number of notifications she gets every 30 minutes. Imagine having to swipe through that coming your way. Imagine trying to block or ignore that relentless push of hate in your direction. Just for you being you.

Calling it "random Twitter trolls" misses the absolute magnitude of the problem.

I think the last sentence is the most important, no doubt so many black celebrities and black people in general get this hate on a daily basis and they block them and move on. It's good for the world to be reminded time to time how much hate still exists in this world because a person is of a different color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom