• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leslie Jones currently going HAM on racist internet trolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayis

Not sure if we should feel better or worse by this little bit of information.
Yes it's a limited pool. But damn, it's a deep and very wide one.
These motherfuckin' assholes massively thumbed down a Youtube video about pride in the wake of the Orlando shooting and then went on to harass every person involved in that video with thumb downs and bigoted comments, these people are evil pieces of shit who swarm others like vermin, their hate knows no bounds.

It doesn't matter. It still encourages the kind of mindset where people are actively trying to out-do each other when it comes to who can send the celebrity insult that's the most likely to go viral.

I do agree with you on that front.

But of course, this issue could be stamped out entirely if Twitter cared. Well, now the site is known as a one stop shop of racism, misogyny and terrible views, and they cower behind the excuse of free speech to absolve them of their sins.

This is really a double-edged blade, yeah, they get called out and maybe just maybe something happens but this will probably make them crazy. It's like when a streamer on Twitch does text-to-speech and then a viewer can spend $3 knowing their racist message will be heard by thousands. Shitty all around.

Not

Banned
This is really a double-edged blade, yeah, they get called out and maybe just maybe something happens but this will probably make them crazy. It's like when a streamer on Twitch does text-to-speech and then a viewer can spend $3 knowing their racist message will be heard by thousands. Shitty all around.

If they just want attention, fine. Mission fucking accomplished. They're still making it harder and harder for "decent" conservatives to deny slave-era racism is alive and well.

wowzors

I don't really care for her on SNL but jesus Christ she's a human being. Sometimes you don't like certain peoples comedy get the fuck over it, awesome for her that she's not letting it get to her and doing her own thing, huge respect for that.

I hope she only gets bigger as a star.

Fuchsdh

I think it's at a point where she doesn't have to be professional about it. Being criticized is one thing, but this is a whole different thing entirely.

It's understandable, especially when it;s a bunch of personal attacks like this, but she's not doing anything productive or healthy responding to these people other than validating them, whether they're just jackass trolls or legitimately hateful individuals. Her best option is not to engage them.

This is the internet. The only winning move when dealing with an internet echo chamber really is to not play.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Lol @ the "I got nothing racist to say, just wanted to show you this" Tweet.

xdDNtIh.gif

It's understandable, especially when it;s a bunch of personal attacks like this, but she's not doing anything productive or healthy responding to these people other than validating them, whether they're just jackass trolls or legitimately hateful individuals. Her best option is not to engage them.

This is the internet. The only winning move when dealing with an internet echo chamber really is to not play.

Pretty much, but she's clearly not a veteran of social media and probably wasn't prepared for the boost in exposure that comes with going from SNL to a major motion picture like Ghostbusters

If you want them to continue going on, that's what you do. You know what else you can do? You can expose them for the racist rats that they are.

Not

Banned
This. When I saw the thread title I was expecting some hilarious comebacks but it's clear these assholes have her rattled. Hopefully she just shuts it down and stops giving them the attention they want.

Jesus Christ man are you serious? Dozens of real people are directly calling this woman an ape and your first instinct is to criticize her reaction?

LosDaddie

Banned
Sad, but that's reality.

If I were a celebrity, then I wouldn't even have social media. At lest not any public account. Simply too many trolls.

Fuchsdh

If you want them to continue going on, that's what you do. You know what else you can do? You can expose them for the racist rats that they are.

Except that doesn't work.

Pretty much, but she's clearly not a veteran of social media and probably wasn't prepared for the boost in exposure that comes with going from SNL to a major motion picture like Ghostbusters

At this point they should give people social media classes alongside home economics in school. Probably be more useful for their everyday lives than Calculus.

It's really disappointing that twitter does not implement a filter against this. It would be very easy to create an algorithm that classifies typical hate speech. It's not about free speech. Hell, if you and you friends want to call each other names, go ahead with it. You could have a switch - turned off by default- that lets people send you message or mention you in a vile message. For everyone else, the message refuses to send. Really easy to implement.

It's really disappointing that twitter does not implement a filter against this. It would be very easy to create an algorithm that classifies typical hate speech. It's not about free speech. Hell, if you and you friends want to call each other names, go ahead with it. You could have a switch - turned off by default- that lets people send you message or mention you in a vile message. For everyone else, the message refuses to send. Really easy to implement.

That requires actual work. Something Twitter does not seem to want to do, rather just skirt around the issue and pretend it doesn't exist.

Romez

Twitter is a fucking joke.

Cracked under the pressure and banned Azealia Banks but does jack shit to anyone else.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I got the impression that she said something and all this wasn't unprovoked.

Can anyone enlighten?

Thrashinuva
Banned

Goddamn, you got spawn camped.

In case you're still looking at this thread, what she did was be alive and black, some people don't like that.

That requires actual work. Something Twitter does not seem to want to do, rather just skirt around the issue and pretend it doesn't exist.

The thing is - it wouldn't be that much work, really. It would improve the reputation of twitter. I am not even asking to filter speech. just let us set up douchebag firewalls.

ThisGuy

I got the impression that she said something and all this wasn't unprovoked.

Can anyone enlighten?
Man, I can't even laugh at this ban this shit (Leslie situation) sucks so much.

I've never used Twitter, so I might be wrong, but I wish more white people were standing up for her.

The thing is - it wouldn't be that much work, really. It would improve the reputation of twitter. I am not even asking to filter speech. just let us set up douchebag firewalls.

Again, Twitter seems to think that the issue of harassment doesn't exist, and don't put in any sort of effort to fix the ever increasing reputation it is getting. Remember that Twitter was one of the main bases for Gamergate, and continues to be a hive of alt-right dumbasses getting their jollies and doxxers looking to raise hell.

In case you're still looking at this thread, what she did was be alive and black, some people don't like that.

Truth.

They don't just hate baggy pants. Or just rap. Or just "the culture". Beneath all that bullshit the truth is they hate Black people existing period.

Especially when they see a successful Black woman. Grinds their gears. Fuck em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom