• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leslie Jones currently going HAM on racist internet trolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
So easy to be tough on the internet, but as soon as they see black people in real life, they'll smile in their face.

-d0hv

"That thing you were a part of was a piece of shit, but you don't deserve to be treated like this!"

To anyone who thinks that's a good way to show support for someone, please try it on someone you know in person and let us know how it goes.

Good thing I didn't say that, or else my feelings would be hurt.

Good thing I didn't say that, or else my feelings would be hurt.

If I wanted to respond to you specifically, I would have quoted you. I was being general, though I should have been more clear about that.

Looking at your post, what you said would still make you look like an asshole if you tried that in person, though, so my point still stands. If you want to show support for someone, the extra crap about your interest or opinions regarding their work is unnecessary.

What the fuck is wrong with fhese neck beards who feel they have to personally attack people who are trying something new with a franchise they like? Hell at this point I dont even think these people have any real love for ghostbusters, they are just spiteful hateful fucks who feel like hating whatever he most recent thing to hate is. i hope this doesnt scare jones away, I watched it today and enjoyed it! She was great in the movie and made me laugh quite a few times

BokehKing

Banned
You certainly can get banned from twitter, and it currently works off a report system. If enough people report a tweet the person is either auto banned or investigated by a person and banned. Usually it works well, sometimes a mob mentality takes over and someone gets an auto ban because an internet mob all reports their tweet due to one or a few "high follower" people suggesting they take action against someone else. It doesn't work in this case because I'd bet few people are reporting the offensive tweets. It can't just be a handful of reports, you need a few hundred or thousand reports for the ban-bot to kick in.

Twitter could implement an auto filter that auto bans if you say certain words. The problem is, as we see on twitch, is that its trivial to get around word bans - if Islam became a banned word, I'd just say I$lam or a million different variations thereof.

So until we get AI that can instantly look at a tweet and decide if it crosses a hurtful line or not - which is a lot harder than it sounds - you'd need mods to check out every tweet. Currently there are over 650 million tweets sent a day, you'd need to hire a few million mods to do this which is not really feasible. In comparison, neogaf gets around 30-100k posts a day.

For those asking why the other GB stars don't stick up for Leslie, none of them are on twitter, only the director Paul Feig who of course has supported her.
See then how come lizard squad was never banned a few holidays back. Those dudes used Twitter as a voice, strip them of that voice, you strip them of their attention and then they are nothing more than just kids I'm their parents house with pissed off siblings that want to play online.

Media

The internet was a mistake.

I've been a strong supporter of the internet, but even I am thinking the same these. The climate of just pure fucking hate that is fostered online is incredibly disturbing. I mean, tennyeats ago who would even think that a celebrity would get thousands of racist, sexist tweets lobbed at them? It's so, so easy to shove your hate into people's faces now. Days past you'd have to write a letter, and if you were threatening you'dget in trouble for it. Now? Anon account, spew the most vile shit imaginable, make a new one if it's banned. Disgusting.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This thread has me thinking. What if Twitter was moderated like NeoGaf?

I think I'd enjoy Twitter more.

NeoGAF is one of the best arguments in favor of strict and at times dictatorial moderation ever

I have never been prouder of this forum then when the moderation staff laid down a hard like about GamerGate bullshit within like a week while the rest of the internet ran around waving their hands about "but they're just asking questions I mean we have to support the discussion right!?"

"Have you seen this-" NO
"But what about-"NO

Curufinwe

I don't know how celebrities deal with their Twitter feed on their own. They need someone to read thru all the nasty shit and block the really vile people,

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Can anyone give me a summary of went down here? Why was Leslie Jones attacked? Because of Ghostbusters? I was kinda hoping this shit would have blown over once the film was released.

marrec

Banned
Can anyone give me a summary of went down here? Why was Leslie Jones attacked? Because of Ghostbusters? I was kinda hoping this shit would have blown over once the film was released.

Once the film turned out to be completely watchable and will probably be profitable for Sony the sexist diehard detractors decided to target the actors, specifically Jones.

Because it has never been about Ghostbusters for most of these fuckwits, it's always been about hating women.

One issue I take is that people still try to downplay the bigoted element of Ghostbusters hate. Absolutely, there are people who legitimately dislike it, who I do not considered bigoted. But when these campaigns of harassment happen, I find it extremely dubious to see people still saying that it's simply not that big a deal.

Astral Dog

poor Leslie :(

despite the writters problems we know she is doing alot of hard work doing what she loves most, she doesnt deserve this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom