• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Students have level-headed debate about safe spaces on campus (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the students involved give approval to have this video uploaded? Seems like a bunch of students that need to learn how to have a good discussion. Shouting like that in a meeting is never going to convince anybody of anything. I don't really see why it is being filmed and uploaded for the whole world to see.

When I saw level-headed in the thread title, I thought to myself: "Yeah, right!" I was hoping to be proved wrong, but I was proven right unfortunately.

I'm a pretty level headed person I feel -- on this issue. I give the anti-PC "Hue Hue wuts wrong R U Triggered BRO? rofl feminists fail!" as much shit as I give , I guess I'll use the regressive, over-zealous University "*Safe space the Sex-Education class for the medical students*" "SJW" types. Even if you're the anti-Alt Right crowd, you have to realize that the girl in the video ain't doing us (we lefties and POC,) much favors. There's gotta be a better way to protect POC and females from the realities of the world than screaming and crying when "triggered" by unhappy thoughts.

Henkka

Banned
Did the students involved give approval to have this video uploaded? Seems like a bunch of students that need to learn how to have a good discussion. Shouting like that in a meeting is never going to convince anybody of anything. I don't really see why it is being filmed and uploaded for the whole world to see.

I'm not sure. But I guess the person talking about white supremacy at the end was filming it, so I'd assume they uploaded it. Someone else probably made this "highlight" reel, however. Which is cool by me, unless they uploaded it with the expectation of privacy, like to a private Facebook group or such.

Are you going to be covering the latest yahoo answers argument next?

I love topics that say that the video is "interesting" and don't really note why it's "interesting" other than the fact that it's going to stir up some shit.

Think if there's any chance of this being an interesting discussion, the title should be changed.

That being said, I think while this is probably a good example of a bad thing, I do worry about signal boosting a bit. I think this is just a core flaw of human nature on display here.

I think we'd be fine to have a conversation about how the fringe can fuck it up for everyone else, but a purposefully inflammatory title coupled with an open-ended OP means that probably won't happen.

GAF is very capable of having a discussion, but like any forum, it's determined by how it all starts.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Think if there's any chance of this being an interesting discussion, the title should be changed.

That being said, I think while this is probably a good example of a bad thing, I do worry about signal boosting a bit. I think this is just a core flaw of human nature on display here.

Foggy

Yeah, watching a random collection of any young college-age group of people debate anything of substance is going to be a messy, emotional gong show.

what the fuck is evening happening in this video...is this how people really act?
At least when you read the same sentiments online, there's always an inevitable third person to chime in with "checkmate, atheists!" after every statement, to add some much needed levity.

I'm not sure. But I guess the person talking about white supremacy at the end was filming it, so I'd assume they uploaded it. Someone else probably made this "highlight" reel, however. Which is cool by me, unless they uploaded it with the expectation of privacy, like to a private Facebook group or such.
Seems the organizers of the debate uploaded it themselves I see now. The context is in the linked article below the video: http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8163

It's all a bit confusing. Seems some students were invited to the groups event to talk about safe spaces and such, some attended without being invited also. Stuff gets a bit heated, people say stupid things. Hope they all look back and see this isn't the way to debate and convince people of your standpoints.

aeolist

Banned
i dunno this just looks like kids articulating their views poorly

for all the "college is a place to encounter and debate with ideas you don't like or agree with" stuff you hear people are sure hard on students expressing ideas about identity politics

That entire video was just... Wtf?

I couldn't even get down what they were discussing and it was just too much hype and not enough logic. There's was an opportunity here to have an actual discussion but Welp :(

Some buzzword the alt-right echo chamber came up with, I'm sure.
From urban dictionary:
XTghXTm.jpg

Fucking appalling.

Friggz

At least when you read the same sentiments online, there's always an inevitable third person to chime in with "checkmate, atheists!" after every statement, to add some much needed levity.

thats whats missing.

why is that one dude with the purple hair wearing his pants at his nipples.

"I apologize that my title is making fun of these SJWs, but look at these SJWs"

Rather than jumping into any criticism of shrill leftists as alt-right evil, can we just, as a culture, admit that a bunch of people use identity politics as a vent for their high-neuroticism personalities and it's okay to think they should just chill already? Because I feel like that's the only way forward, rather than battening down the hatches every time and deciding any critique "empowers the wrong people" or must be coming from a place of bigotry.

the video is just a disaster all around.

I thought one of the things you learn super early on (like, kindergarten early) is how to communicate in a group setting, express your thoughts calmly, let someone else speak, and continue. Group work and classroom "debates" are common throughout high school.

Even in contentious group discussions in college there was still a basic expectation of decency.

Worst part is that I think a lot of professors encourage this sort of thing.

This reminds me of a womens studies course I took when in college 10 years ago. Everything was a hill worth dying on. Nobody listening to another viewpoint. College kids gonna me college kids, I guess.

All I can do is laugh and know that these issues are usually approached with a little more tact when you're tired from busting your ass at work, paying for daycare that costs more than a public university, and still trying to make those mortgage payments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom