• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: Minnesota has "suffered enough" from Somalian refugees

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
http://time.com/4560078/donald-trump-minnesota-somali-refugees/

Fuck off you vile orange piece of shit. The Twin Cities are so much richer for their strong Somali population

In a pitch to suspend the nation’s Syrian refugee program, Donald Trump said Minnesotans have “suffered enough” from accepting Somali immigrants into their state.

“Here in Minnesota you have seen firsthand the problems caused with faulty refugee vetting, with large numbers of Somali refugees coming into your state, without your knowledge, without your support or approval,” Trump said at a Minneapolis rally Sunday afternoon.

For those unaware, Minnesota has roughly 1/3 of all Somalis in the US, concentrated in Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Trump is literally arguing that Minnesota should have let these men, women, and children die because... There are now more brown people in Minnesota?

He's a dumbfuck who hates Muslims and anyone who votes for him hates Muslims.

I hope after you lose Trump, you never get a good night's sleep again. And every waking moment, you're reminded of your failure. Oh wait, that's you're life in general. Never mind.

Man this guy is disgusting. Just geez....

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
In what way has Minnesota suffered? Did something happen there that I'm forgetting?

CHC

This issue in Minnesota was a big focus of the latest This American Life. It was a good listen.

Really hard to feel bad for any of the white people involved, but it is interesting to see how many of them are coming to grips with the culture shock of seeing people unlike them. It's even more interesting to see how those that are OK with the Somalis are dealing with the awful revelation that a lot of people near and dear to them are, in fact, racist after all.

Edit: ah someone was faster than me.

VariantX

Another day, another "it's the Brown people's fault somehow" speech from Trump. I'm sure the Somalian population will vote appropriately come Tuesday.

As a Minnesotan, we welcome our Somali brothers and sisters as fellow citizens.

I know many churches that try very hard to reach out to the Muslim community and the refugee community as well. One church put up signs that said "blessed Ramadan" and many here are trying to find mutual service areas.

Minnesota has its bad eggs, but most people here have nothing bad to say about the Somali community. I go by the Somali mall a few times a year and the people there are lovely. They bring so many great businesses to our city.

Piecake

English immigrants, specifically.

Actually, German immigrants is easily the biggest immigrant group in America

And fuck Trump. Somali immigrants have been fine in Minneapolis. The only city that that has had a problem with Somali immigrants is St Cloud, and that is not the Somali's fault. That's the fault of St. Cloud being populated by a bunch of racist fucks.

Uneducated white males realize they're being replaced with better models.

This doesn't seem like a very nice thing to say either.

Also, racism isn't exclusive to any one group. There are plenty of uneducated people out there who are goodhearted. I'd hate for one to read or hear something like this and feel lumped in. Point being, you're not going to create a better world by fighting hatred with hatred.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Without Minnesota taking in some refugees, we would never have Barkhad Abdi and all the great Captain Phillips memes

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5831542/?ref_=tt_cl_t3

When he was seven years old, his family moved from Somalia to Yemen to escape the civil war. His family moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota when he was age 14.

1dnes3.jpg

Love this guy. Fuck off Trump.

In the wake of attacks on Somalian refugees in St. Cloud and elsewhere, this comes off as vile. I cannot wait for this man to begin the swift slide into irrelevancy.

As a Minnesotan, we welcome our Somali brothers and sisters as fellow citizens.

Same here in Maine. The Somalis where I live have rebuilt and revitalized parts of the city that were shuttered and crumbling, brought new businesses and job opportunities, opened a farmer's market in the park, and maintained a communal garden for several years. I hope more come.

Trump is a disgrace.

How has MN suffered? If you want to see states suffering go to any state that is controlled by republicans, they are suffering...

The craziest thing to me is how some people really believe that sharia law has been implemented in certain US cities and insist it's true despite it obviously not being true in any way.

Piecake

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/600/will-i-know-anyone-at-this-party

This seems pretty relevant. It talks about how St. Cloud is dealing with the influx of Somali refugees into the city. (Hint: not good)

Note that St. Cloud is not Minneapolis. A good example of the difference is that a district in Minneapolis will soon send a Somali refugee to the Minnesota state congress.

Woops, looks like a bunch of people linked the This American Life episode

I didn't know anything about this issue until last week's This American Life. Recommend listening for anyone interested:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/600/will-i-know-anyone-at-this-party

The episode they did was so good overall (as always). Definitely a somewhat depressing listen though. The misinformation campaign against the Somalis is frankly scary and the whole belief that there's Sharia Law in parts of the US demonstrates a level of ignorance I didn't know existed.

To most (or all) Trump supporters/defenders, saying the n-word still wouldn't make him a racist. In their minds, you're only a racist if you go out and kill other races.
Nah, he was just defending himself, they were bad hombres like that trayvon Martin kid
/S

-griffy-

Banned
Uh huh. We ain't suffered for shit. Dumb ass. Don't know why he's wasting his time in Minnesota two days before the election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom