• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: Minnesota has "suffered enough" from Somalian refugees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

Eh, Minnesota is about as good as the rest of his choices. He has to flip something.

He has a better shot in Michigan and Pennsylvania, and both of those states have higher EC totals than Minnesota. Moreover, if you are going to pick one, Wisconsin is more likely to go Republican than Minnesota.

He isn't going to win either of those states, but if you need to flip something to win, spend all your time in Michigan, Pennsylvania, North Carolina. Iowa, Ohio, and Florida.

AYF 001

Three days before those now-detained "militiamen" planned a domestic terrorist attack on a Somali apartment building. Is he really going to be that much of a sore loser as to attempt Civil War 2 when the results are in?

He has a better shot in Michigan and Pennsylvania, and both of those states have higher EC totals than Minnesota. Moreover, if you are going to pick one, Wisconsin is more likely to go Republican than Minnesota.

He isn't going to win either of those states, but if you need to flip something to win, spend all your time in Michigan, Pennsylvania, North Carolina. Iowa, Ohio, and Florida.

He ain't flippin shit.

Yeah...Minnesota hasn't voted Republican since Nixon.

Mesousa

Banned
Wonder how the Somali community responds to it. In my opinion they are quick to look down their narrow little noses on other black groups, but when criticized by white people they turn as quiet as a church mouse.

Wonder who they drag out to defend their community.

Jamesways

Immigrants are the whole point of America.
Hey, my grandparents' parents didn't emigrate to this country to see it over-run by a bunch of immigrants!

See what I did... ah never mind.

As a Minnesotan:

Go fuck yourself.

Minnesotan here. Eat shit, Donald.

As a Minnesotan, we welcome our Somali brothers and sisters as fellow citizens.

Indeed. The diversity of the Twin Cities is great. What's next, him railing on the NE Polish festival and the large eastern EU population?

CHC

Collectively we're one of the more progressive states, but there are definitely pockets of deplorables. Statewide we've sent Wellstone, Franken and Klobuchar to the Senate, while our upper class suburbs gave you all the gift of Michelle Bachmann. Anecdotally I've heard a fair amount of disdain about the Somali population, all the way from distasteful jokes to outright xenophobia. Though that's mostly been from people older than myself. Anyone my age or younger has gone or is going to school with kids from refugee families, and while I won't say racism doesn't exist, I would say that my generation as a whole believes that they belong here.

Yeah that is what I found interesting about the episode. If it was just some entirely condemnable hellhole of racism that would be one thing but I liked hearing from younger people who maybe weren't so intolerant, but were kind of having to deal with the fact that a lot of people who they know are.

I hope that Somali community there has safety procedures for the nights before and after the election, their homes, businesses and properties are now at great risk of attack from Trump supporters.

I hope that Somali community there has safety procedures for the nights before and after the election, their homes, businesses and properties are now at great risk of attack from Trump supporters.

Now?

They've been the target of racial hatred since first appearing in the state in the 80s. They're surviving and thriving, especially in the Cities. Aren't many Trump supporters in the core of Little Mogadishu anyway.

Derwind

Wonder how the Somali community responds to it. In my opinion they are quick to look down their narrow little noses on other black groups, but when criticized by white people they turn as quiet as a church mouse.

Why would anyone need to be dragged out to defend the Somali community? Defend from what? Comments made by a racist old man?

As if this is the first time something shitty was said about ethnic Somali people...

Somali people don't need help defending themselves.

Mesousa

Banned
Why would anyone need to be dragged out to defend the Somali community? Defend from what? Comments made by a racist old man?

As if this is the first time something shitty was said about ethnic Somali people...

Somali people don't need help defending themselves.

Good.

I know you probably didn't mean to isolate the two groups, but I still think it must be corrected:

These Somalians are Minnesotans. And a giant "Fuck you" to anyone who says or thinks otherwise.
Hell, not only Minnesotan, but AMERICAN!!! The division is what keeps us from "being great", and that's a LOT of shit coming from the Right-wing/Republican/Conservative side of things. Look at the Republicans pissed because they are keeping the polls open in Nevada for "certain groups" of people. What groups are those? I can tell you! Red blooded-Americans that are exercising their RIGHT to vote!!!!

Maine is in desperate need of more immigrants.

Aye-yup! I think a whole lotta areas that have been bleached white for far too long need some more culture injected up in there! Kept to their own, their ways of living and viewing others are left unchallenged and kept from progression. Time to move forward as a whole rather than let clusters stay in the past. If course, with Maine, they gotta get that fucktard Paul LePage outta there.

watershed

Banned

Sounds like you have a problem with the Somali community.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If you ask yourself "would what I'm saying work in Canada?" and the answer is no... it likely won't work in Minnesota

Dummy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

wat

the fuck.

Dai101

Banned

kwWA8FA.gif

johnsmith

remember me
Going after Somalis? That's a twofer, blacks and muslims. That makes him smart. That's the kind of efficiency we need to cut government waste.

Mesousa

Banned
Sounds like you have a problem with the Somali community.

On the contrary. I have had plenty of Somali friends, and more than one has pulled the "You don't look adoon" card on me enough to know whats up in the community. My statement remains they look down on other black people. More so than Habesha people even.

USC-fan

Banned
On the contrary. I have had plenty of Somali friends, and more than one has pulled the "You don't look adoon" card on me enough to know whats up in the community. My statement remains they look down on other black people. More so than Habesha people even.

why is that? Seems really weird.

Fuck is this shit..

Mesousa

Banned
why is that? Seems really weird.

The slave trade in their country, and their treatment of Somali Bantus who were funneled through their lands during the Slave Trade. It created a caste system which still exists, and one which they pass on other black people who they feel share features with those they trafficked during the trade. They have colorist issues too, but it isnt as wide spread since most are super dark. The caste is most prominent in discriminating based on hair and nose.

USC-fan

Banned
The slave trade in their country, and their treatment of Somali Bantus who were funneled through their lands during the Slave Trade. It created a caste system which still exists, and one which they pass on other black people who they feel share features with those they trafficked during the trade. They have colorist issues too, but it isnt as wide spread since most are super dark. The caste is most prominent in discriminating based on hair and nose.

Oh thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I never knew anything about this. Looking on google i can see exactly what you are talking about.

That is extremely eye opening. Never had a clue this was such a problem there.

Aytumious

Banned
Three days before those now-detained "militiamen" planned a domestic terrorist attack on a Somali apartment building. Is he really going to be that much of a sore loser as to attempt Civil War 2 when the results are in?

If Trump could figure out a way to trigger a civil war I'm sure he would.

Piggus

One of the most beloved members of my community is a Somali immigrant who's a councilor and coach at the local high school. When my sister wasn't doing so well in school, he did an amazing job of getting her on the right path.

So go fuck yourself, Trump.

Thats a different discussion and not one even remotely appropriate to be having when a Black community comes under attack from a White supremacist agitator. Like really, the first thing you thought was the score you have to settle with that community? What a joke.

Thats a different discussion and not one even remotely appropriate to be having when a Black community comes under attack from a White supremacist agitator. Like really, the first thing you thought was the score you have to settle with that community? What a joke.

But they treated him bad tho..

I haven't heard of any trouble from the refugees we have taken in.

Of course we have had a highly regulated and systemic approach so far though.

Mr.Sumal

They can defend their community by voting against this mofo

this wasn't the first time he came at the somali community iirc

Orayn

I saw someone on Reddit responding to this with "HE'S RIGHT, WE DIDN'T HAVE ISIS RECRUITERS BEFORE!"

No shit dude, nowhere had ISIS until very recently.

Pretty harsh words buddy

Tell us how you really feel?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Also campaigning in Minnesota of all states two days before the election is nonsensical

He did so specifically to try and cause a scene over exactly the kind of comments he's making. It's not about winning Minnesota. Just looking for ways to say "hey white people vote for me the dark skinned people will marry your white daughters".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom