• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: Minnesota has "suffered enough" from Somalian refugees

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffdgh

That's right. Keep giving people more of a push to vote against you.
KuGsj.gif

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Yes let's focus on the Minnesotans' imagined suffering instead of the Somalians' real suffering

I know you probably didn't mean to isolate the two groups, but I still think it must be corrected:

These Somalians are Minnesotans. And a giant "Fuck you" to anyone who says or thinks otherwise.

Why is he even in Minnesota? One of your final stops before election is in a state you are way behind in.

And this guy wants to run the country...

Mirk

I live in Saint Cloud MN and the shit people talk about Somalians would make your skin crawl. I am convinced that all of my neighbors are racist shitheads.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
After the vetting process, aren't we just getting immigrants out of the top 1% of Somalia anyway? Both in terms of finances and education?

Why is Trump even bothering in Minnesota? It hasn't been red since Nixon crushed McGovern in 1972. Reagan the Republican Messiah couldn't even take it. It's gotta be the bluest region outside of DC and not even an important piece of his path to 270. If Minnesota went red, it would mean that every swing state plus at least a dozen safe blue states were already flipped red. And we're two days out from election day. Would be like Clinton campaigning in Idaho tomorrow. Like, why.

Same here in Maine. The Somalis where I live have rebuilt and revitalized parts of the city that were shuttered and crumbling, brought new businesses and job opportunities, opened a farmer's market in the park, and maintained a communal garden for several years. I hope more come.

Trump is a disgrace.

Maine is in desperate need of more immigrants.

Why is Trump even bothering in Minnesota? It hasn't been red since Nixon crushed McGovern in 1972. Reagan the Republican Messiah couldn't even take it. It's gotta be the bluest region outside of DC and not even an important piece of his path to 270. If Minnesota went red, it would mean that every swing state plus at least a dozen safe blue states were already flipped red. And we're two days out from election day. Would be like Clinton campaigning in Idaho tomorrow. Like, why.

A HS student poll had him winning. A straw poll of HS students. Seriously. (And it was more Hillary losing than him winning)

That is a 100% true statement I just made.

Piecake

I live in Saint Cloud MN and the shit people talk about Somalians would make your skin crawl. I am convinced that all of my neighbors are racist shitheads.

I honestly was shocked that while listening to the This American Life episode on the topic, Tom Emmer came across as one of the reasonable Republicans. You know some crazy shit is happening when that is the case, yeesh...

tuffy

There was a Strib article just a few days ago about the importance of immigrants to Minnesota's economy. Labor force trends suggest Minnesota will need more immigrants, experts say. One part stood out in particular:
“What we discovered is that it’s certainly true that immigrants are key to the development of the state’s economy as workers. But we also found that they play a really key role as entrepreneurs,” Blazar said. “We really depend on the start-up and success of new companies, so having a population of folks who are oriented toward entrepreneurship is a key contribution to the economy.”

Sadiq Abdirahman, a manager at the Minnesota Department of Administration who as a child was one of the first Somali immigrants in the state, recalled being offered a job at a turkey plant in Marshall the first day he arrived. When immigrants arrive, he said, they often need assistance before becoming full contributors to the economy.

“What is our gift?” he asked. “Our gift is our children, who are Minnesotans.”
Trump can go get fucked.

D-Stubbs

As a Minnesotan and who works with kind hard working Somalis at my job he can go fuck right off. Please leave and never the fuck come back.

This issue in Minnesota was a big focus of the latest This American Life. It was a good listen.

Really hard to feel bad for any of the white people involved, but it is interesting to see how many of them are coming to grips with the culture shock of seeing people unlike them. It's even more interesting to see how those that are OK with the Somalis are dealing with the awful revelation that a lot of people near and dear to them are, in fact, racist after all.

Edit: ah someone was faster than me.

Collectively we're one of the more progressive states, but there are definitely pockets of deplorables. Statewide we've sent Wellstone, Franken and Klobuchar to the Senate, while our upper class suburbs gave you all the gift of Michelle Bachmann. Anecdotally I've heard a fair amount of disdain about the Somali population, all the way from distasteful jokes to outright xenophobia. Though that's mostly been from people older than myself. Anyone my age or younger has gone or is going to school with kids from refugee families, and while I won't say racism doesn't exist, I would say that my generation as a whole believes that they belong here.

I hope after you lose Trump, you never get a good night's sleep again. And every waking moment, you're reminded of your failure. Oh wait, that's you're life in general. Never mind.

Man this guy is disgusting. Just geez....

I'm honestly afraid of what will happen when he does lose.

It'll be something we've never seen before.

Log4Girlz

Actually, German immigrants is easily the biggest immigrant group in America

And fuck Trump. Somali immigrants have been fine in Minneapolis. The only city that that has had a problem with Somali immigrants is St Cloud, and that is not the Somali's fault. That's the fault of St. Cloud being populated by a bunch of racist fucks.

We have suffered enough German immigrants. Time to ship Trump to the fatherland.

;p

Trump is literally arguing that Minnesota should have let these men, women, and children die because... There are now more brown people in Minnesota?

He's a dumbfuck who hates Muslims and anyone who votes for him hates Muslims.
It is true though they all are not voting for Hillary because they think she will let Muslims take over America and force us to follow their laws. Hence why they want Trump lol

RPGCrazied

"Approval" What the fuck. Nobody needs that, they can go or do anything they want.

This isn't a third world country.

Actually, German immigrants is easily the biggest immigrant group in America

And fuck Trump. Somali immigrants have been fine in Minneapolis. The only city that that has had a problem with Somali immigrants is St Cloud, and that is not the Somali's fault. That's the fault of St. Cloud being populated by a bunch of racist fucks.
Actually Faribault is been having issues with them as well I've heard nothing but bad things

watershed

Banned
The only problems caused by the Somalian refugees are those in the minds of racists who don't like seeing more brown people in their city.

Struct09

As someone who spent the first 24 years of their life in the Minneapolis area I want to say fuck off Mr. Trump, you have no idea what you're talking about.

bengraven

My dad fucking hates the Somalians. Every conversation for thr last 16 years has eventually mentioned how horrible they are.

At first it was how they would sit around the taxi lounge south of the old HHH and only move when they were dispatched. Because this is terrible i guess. Then it was anger that they buy up old police cars from auctions foe their taxi services and drive ip the prices so he "cant afford" one. Now of course its because they are supporting terrorism, due to Minnesota being the home of domestic terrorism and why would you want to move back Ben you live in Florida where there are no Somalians, just a bunch of thug black folk but Trump is going to take care of them by God....

Piecake

Actually Faribault is been having issues with them as well I've heard nothing but bad things

Faribault and St Cloud are basically the same thing. A small to medium size all white city in the middle of nowhere getting scared and afraid that a bunch of Black people are now moving in and 'taking over' 'their' town.

Gattsu25

Banned
Wow, the recent This American Life episode was more topical than even they probably assumed.

Also, Trump going back to the issue that drove him to prominence and stole the Republican base away from the party's (and the Tea Party's) leadership: racism couched as national security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom