• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internet Foundation in Sweden created a superb video regarding fake news

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanboi

Banned
...and how act to determine how authentic the news are.

(In Swedish but you will understand the gist of it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc353OW5kW0

English link to Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/viralgranskaren/videos/903344656432437/

In the movie above, green side is the source critic and the right is... yeah the average user.

The story they refer to (Christmas lights) is a true happening and went viral.

Oh and of course people commented that this is left media trying to undermine the alternative media...

fanboi

Banned
I.e. We don't want fact and truths but made up lies that conform with our outlooks.

Yes... it is bloody sad state of affairs.

I would also argue that it is happening right here on GAF as well to a few posters after Trump victory, but in much much less extent.

Alx

Well all I could get from it is "don't use Facebook". Which is fine by me, although I expected something more informative. :p

Condom

This woman who was interviewed on dutch TV became a meme because of claiming refugees got tens of thousands of euros for free. When asked for the source she said 'I read it on Feesbook'.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
...and how act to determine how authentic the news are.

(In Swedish but you will understand the gist of it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc353OW5kW0

In the movie above, green side is the source critic and the right is... yeah the average user.

The story they refer to (Christmas lights) is a true happening and went viral.

Oh and of course people commented that this is left media trying to undermine the alternative media...

TYPICAL LIBERAL MEDIA PLOY. I fucking hate SD and what they've done with this country so much. Ugh.

This woman who was interviewed on dutch TV became a meme because of claiming refugees got tens of thousands of euros for free. When asked for the source she said 'I read it on Feesbook'.

It's always that shit. "I read it on facebook" or "It's just a feeling". Zuckerberg should be trialed for crimes against humanity, Facebook is terrible.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Of course it's a story by fucking alt-right cancer Milo. Fuck this guy to high heavens. I rarely wish ill on people, but I should really start to make an exeption for scumbags like him.

fanboi

Banned
Regarding the christmas lights story, it was actually the Swedish Transportations Administration that didnt want them to use their power outlets.

TheJoRu

Nice video. In the comments there's of course some anti-muslim nutjob claiming it's a conspiracy and that the media and government agencies would never admit that banning Christmas lights would be because of muslims.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Regarding the christmas lights story, it was actually the Swedish Transportations Administration that didnt want them to use their power outlets.

Yea but why is the weight only a problem now? Can't explain that!!!

(Even though the weight is just a sidenote)

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
i cannot see for the life of me how Germany and France elections will escape the bullshit propaganda from the far right supremacists, especially with Russia in tow.

fanboi

Banned
i cannot see for the life of me how Germany and France elections will escape the bullshit propaganda from the far right supremacists, especially with Russia in tow.

Each time the right wing / nationalists get a win (Trump, Brexit) it will be harder and harder to stop.

oti

Banned
As if those Facebook users care.
As if Facebook cares.

I hope the government will intervene in some way. This can't go on.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I blame zuckerberg for the rising of alt-rights in europe.

Can we impose a tax on misinformation?

Seriously, what can be done to combat this?

Have an independent rating agency that that checks news sources. They give a rating based on accuracy of news that is able to be empirically judged. If you don't have a high enough rating your aren't whitelisted for the social media platform? I dunno, I mean honestly it's a shitty situation this way too, but I think it might be better than the alternative. The problem is the amount of power and potential for abuse in this case.

fanboi

Banned
Have an independent rating agency that that checks news sources. They give a rating based on accuracy of news that is able to be empirically judged. If you don't have a high enough rating your aren't whitelisted for the social media platform? I dunno, I mean honestly it's a shitty situation this way too, but I think it might be better than the alternative. The problem is the amount of power and potential for abuse in this case.

It wouldn't work since it would be 'left biased'.

If we go down that path, internet is the cancer and Facebook is one of many metastases.

But we need to educate our populace more in these sort of things.

Appropriately moderated public spaces like forums aren't an issue. There will always be someone with an opposite opinion, and facts will be brought up.

The issue is echo chambers where prejudiced people can gather and isolate themselves from outsiders. So yes, facebook should burn.

Enosh

yes, we could also call it something nice like, the ministry of truth!

peakish

Good video. Think before sharing, folk.

They have also created a handbook how to approach news:

https://www.iis.se/lar-dig-mer/guider/kallkritik-pa-internet/

In Swedish of course.

It shows where to search, how to search, what to look for etc.
It's good stuff, although we learnt this in high school I remember that it felt very abstract. It's one thing to analyze a text (usually something old) for an assignment, another to apply this in real life to news around you. I'm not going to pretend that I'm perfect at this but if something sounds too funny, stupid or outrageous to be true I try to treat it as unconfirmed at best if I can't verify its sources. And don't use actual propaganda outlets as main sources.

fanboi

Banned
Appropriately moderated public spaces like forums aren't an issue. There will always be someone with an opposite opinion, and facts will be brought up.

The issue is echo chambers where prejudiced people can gather and isolate themselves from outsiders. So yes, facebook should burn.

In sweden you have Flashback where you fond the cess pit of swedish nationalists.

IF Facebook buren something else Will fill its place

Kagutaba

Good initiative. It's sadly especially necessary in this case.

There has been so much misinformation about Sweden these last few years: from the alt-right, from the European far-right, from Russian, Czech, Hungarian state media... It's getting somewhat disheartening with how prevalent it is.

Our country isn't very important in the large scheme of things, but unfortunately, we became a nexus for everything these groups hate (mostly for self-serving and/or deeply faulty reasons).

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

You do realize how 1984 this sounds, right?
"You can only share government-approved information"

I'm more for being able to sue politicians for misleading advertising.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
This thread has given me an interesting idea, which after some searching I am happy to say has been thought of by more capable people before me and is being experimented with around the world.

I think I'll create a new thread about it.

You do realize how 1984 this sounds, right?
"You can only share government-approved information"

I'm more for being able to sue politicians for misleading advertising.

I do. Well I did after rereading it. I'm just honestly not sure if there's a good answer. Clearly our current practice isn't leading down a good path either.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
thread is up: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1317429

It requires at least a basic understanding of some of the technology behind bitcoin to understand, but there are explanations provided in the links.

I know it's somewhat technical, but if it can actually be applied in such a way as discussed in the thread, it's something every person concerned with truth in a "post-truth" era should learn about.

Kind of depends if Google is the one putting fake news at the top sometimes. If you search for some subjects of those alt-right blogs to see if it is true, you'd mostly see other blogs of the same type running the same story.

That's true, i wish google would give those websites a big pagerank penalty.

I think they do. Regular news sites and newspapers are mostly ranked higher. Problem is, those websites don't run stories saying "this is false" since it is false, so why report on it. So if you then search for it, you are only left with the fake stories anyway. And removing those from the database creates a whole new can of worms of who decides what Google indexes.

Alx

We definitely need to have something in place that people will use and trust to check their information. French news site/paper le Monde does a decent job identifying and analyzing hoaxes, but it usually happens after they went viral. Also Facebook users won't check those articles.
I miss the early years of internet when you could quickly dismiss some email chain hoaxes through well known sites like snopes.
Maybe it's an opportunity for such websites to become famous again, they should push a service of fact checking (maybe they do already, I haven't been to snopes in years)

"A Lie Can Travel Halfway Around the World While the Truth Is Putting On Its Shoes"
— Mark Twain

...the only difference is now you replace "Halfway" with "Circulate Multiple Times"

Belstras

Traditional newssites like these are just mad that their audience is not as big as it used to be and are trying to discredit alternative newsoutlets like social media.

I would trust news straight from the people over newsites run by white people. That just my opinion.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
"A Lie Can Travel Halfway Around the World While the Truth Is Putting On Its Shoes"
— Mark Twain

...the only difference is now you replace "Halfway" with "Circulate Multiple Times"

We definitely need to have something in place that people will use and trust to check their information. French news site/paper le Monde does a decent job identifying and analyzing hoaxes, but it usually happens after they went viral. Also Facebook users won't check those articles.
I miss the early years of internet when you could quickly dismiss some email chain hoaxes through well known sites like snopes.
Maybe it's an opportunity for such websites to become famous again, they should push a service of fact checking (maybe they do already, I haven't been to snopes in years)

you guys should check out my thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1317429

Traditional newssites like these are just mad that their audience is not as big as it used to be and are trying to discredit alternative newsoutlets like social media.

I would trust news straight from the people over newsites run by white people. That just my opinion.
The problem is, the news is not coming straight from the people. It is being written by white people with a white supremacy agenda and then pushed onto social media.

Belstras

The problem is, the news is not coming straight from the people. It is being written by white people with a white supremacy agenda and then pushed onto social media.

You of course have right to see it from your perspective. But I would rather have the good with bad,
meaning that there are both supremacist groups on social media AND people like me that i can trust THAN a newssite like that I am sure is controlled by the governement and in this case by a staff of white in their mind morally superior swedes. I would take social media over it anyday, and thank god for it.

Razorback

You of course have right to see it from your perspective. But I would rather have the good with bad,
meaning that there are both supremacist groups on social media AND people like me that i can trust THAN a newssite like that I am sure is controlled by the governement and in this case by a staff of white in their mind morally superior swedes. I would take social media over it anyday, and thank god for it.

But how do you judge the level of veracity of the news you consume? On one side, what we'd call the mainstream media you have people that went to school and learned about journalism. They have systems in place to make sure people don't just go around fabricating stories. It's not a perfect system. Just like the health system. They haven't it all figured out, but that doesn't mean that you should be looking into alternative medicine.

On the other side, you have zero self regulation. Most of them operate on the basis of what will generate the most clicks, and usually it will be something that causes outrage. People gravitate towards these sites because they tell them what they want to hear. It feels good to have your worldview validated.

Evolutionarily speaking, there's a flaw in our system. Having an accurate worldview should be what is rewarded, but we figured out a way to get directly to the reward bypassing the part that is actually useful.

Alx

"News straight from the people" is by definition gossip. Journalism was invented because gossip is unreliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom