• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Mitch

Banned
Live Oak Hef is godtier. Too bad it's Texas only.
My man! Haven't had it since I moved up to CLE. Really miss it.

During the summer I'm big on pale ales. Lower abv IPAs are fantastic as well. Now that I'm loving sours, I can't wait to drink more of them this summer.

My man! Haven't had it since I moved up to CLE. Really miss it.

During the summer I'm big on pale ales. Lower abv IPAs are fantastic as well. Now that I'm loving sours, I can't wait to drink more of them this summer.

My parents have good friends who spend half the year in Austin, so they always bring back Live Oak cans and Jester King bottles.

Just had Firestone Walker's Leo v. Ursus IPA. Their take on the hazy IPA that's all the rage with the kids these days, but mixed with west coast style. Very heavy on tropical fruit flavors, balanced well with dank hops and a clean, bitter finish. A bit too sharply bitter for my liking maybe. But I'd definitely drink again.

Mitch

Banned
My parents have good friends who spend half the year in Austin, so they always bring back Live Oak cans and Jester King bottles.
Very nice.

My dad has sent us some Houston beer a few times. I'll have to coax him into sending me Live Oak this summer.

Ron Mexico

So in completely non-shocking news, Vermont is a great place for beer. Took the ferry over from Plattsburgh NY to Burlington. Thought I was blessed by the Philly beer scene but Vermont is on another level and we've only really scratched the surface here.

So in completely non-shocking news, Vermont is a great place for beer. Took the ferry over from Plattsburgh NY to Burlington. Thought I was blessed by the Philly beer scene but Vermont is on another level and we've only really scratched the surface here.

Please send Heady Topper!

Baleoce

golden-pride_660x710v22016-2.png

I recently tried this beer out, and I have to say it is extremely nice. Such a satisfying taste off it. Anyone else tried it? If you see it, give it a go and let me know what you think.

andycapps

Thanks to the tips on the previous page I signed up for Beer Advocate and will hopefully get to trading in a month.

What I'm really looking for is some Creature Comforts Koko Buni. I tried to get some when I was back home and they said that the last release sold out instantly. Anybody else have that yet?

Spuck-uk

Banned
Unpopular opinion time:

KBS isn't very good. It's a rarity this side of the atlantic, so I went for it as soon as I saw it available and..yknow, it's a bit of a hot mess.

I LOVE high abv stuff, and whiskey, and stout, but it's just unbalanced as hell, and you can barely taste the base beer beneath all the barrel and adjuncts.

For anyone in the UK, or anywhere that can lay their hands on it, Cloudwater and Magic Rock are absolutely destroying everyone else in the UK for making Hazy and double IPAs

If you see these, buy them

cloudwater-dipa-v12.jpg

magic-rock-hypnotist.jpg

Spuck-uk

Banned
golden-pride_660x710v22016-2.png

I recently tried this beer out, and I have to say it is extremely nice. Such a satisfying taste off it. Anyone else tried it? If you see it, give it a go and let me know what you think.

Standard enough British golden Ale, great style that doesn't seem to have reached the US much.

Are you in the UK? I could make some suggestions that do the style a lot better imo (Marble and Dark Star for starters)

xOb1rMY.jpg

My parents grabbed me some crowlers while stopping through Portland the other day.

Hitting up Hill Farmstead?

My parents grabbed me some crowlers while stopping through Portland the other day.

And now I have learned that crowlers are a thing. Cool. Any other breweries in Portland doing them besides Great Notion? I have a growler, but I can't drink half a gallon of beer in an evening like I could in my youth, and I hate to waste it. These seem perfect.

And now I have learned that crowlers are a thing. Cool. Any other breweries in Portland doing them besides Great Notion? I have a growler, but I can't drink half a gallon of beer in an evening like I could in my youth, and I hate to waste it. These seem perfect.

Bailey's Taproom (Portland)
The Big Legrowski (Portland)
Cheap Charlie's Beer & Wine Superstore (Gresham)
Craft Pour House (Beaverton)
Ex Novo Brewing (Portland)
Great Notion (Portland)
Growler Guys (Portland)
IBU Public House (Beaverton)
The Labrewatory (Portland)
Market of Choice (Beaverton)
Oregon City Brewing (Oregon City)
Stickmen Brewing (Lake Oswego)
Widmer Brewing (Portland pub only)

You could also get a 32 oz. glass growler.

edit: Here's the rest of Oregon:

Bend Area
The Beer Stop (Redmond)
Boneyard Brewing (Bend)
Bridge 99 Brewing (Bend)
Deschutes (Bend tasting room)
Growler Guys (both Bend locations)
Market of Choice (Bend)

Oregon Coast
Pelican Brewing (Pacific City)
Public Coast Brewing (Cannon Beach)
Yachats Brewing & Farmstore (Yachats)

Willamette Valley
Block 15 Brewing (Corvallis - new brewery only, not the original/restaurant)
Claim 52 Brewing (Eugene)
Growl Movement (Keizer, Salem)
Growler Guys (Eugene)

Southern Oregon
Beerworks (Medford)
Gil's (Ashland)
Growler Guys (Ashland)
Quality Market (Medford)

Baleoce

Standard enough British golden Ale, great style that doesn't seem to have reached the US much.

Are you in the UK? I could make some suggestions that do the style a lot better imo (Marble and Dark Star for starters)

I am in the UK, and that'd be great! Definitely open to suggestions.

EDIT - That's a bit of a crazy coincidence. That Marble brewery is based in Manchester and started in 1997, the same year that I went to live / go to school there xD Definitely going to have to check them out.

Double Edit - A lot of these dark star ones sound really nice. I'll pop into Morrisons tomorrow and see if I can find any of the golden ones. The imperial stout looks good as well, but I can't find a supermarket that sells it.

H3xum

I am from the northern Indiana area, so I have my hand in a lot of great beers from here (three floyds, namely) and southern Michigan (Bells, Founders, New Holland etc etc) and it seems like the New England IPA is finally making its way here. There is a lesser brewer in my area (Evil Czech) that put one out (and are going to continue so on a 4 month brew cycle they said). It isn't the juice bomb I've read that Treehouse is, but, in northern Indiana it isn't bad. It is weirdly low IBU though, like in the mid 40s if I remember

I am from the northern Indiana area, so I have my hand in a lot of great beers from here (three floyds, namely) and southern Michigan (Bells, Founders, New Holland etc etc) and it seems like the New England IPA is finally making its way here. There is a lesser brewer in my area (Evil Czech) that put one out (and are going to continue so on a 4 month brew cycle they said). It isn't the juice bomb I've read that Treehouse is, but, in northern Indiana it isn't bad. It is weirdly low IBU though, like in the mid 40s if I remember

That's one of the trademarks of the NE IPA. They're good, but they get a bit too cloying after a while and wreck my palate (I've had a Triple IPA from Structures called Die in Haze that was near 0 IBUs due to the hops predominantly being added during dry hop). Need some bitterness.

I often refer to them as "My first IPA" or "IPAs for people who don't like IPAs."

H3xum

That's one of the trademarks of the NE IPA. They're good, but they get a bit too cloying after a while and wreck my palate (I've had a Triple IPA from Structures called Die in Haze that was near 0 IBUs due to the hops predominantly being added during dry hop). Need some bitterness.

I often refer to them as "My first IPA" or "IPAs for people who don't like IPAs."

Yeah my everything was so confused when I sipped on my DIPA afterwords.

I like your names for them, I called it a brunch beer.

If you get the chance, and like sours, check out Yachats Brewing's Boysenberry Sour. It's tremendous.

I don't typically like sours outside of the occasional Gose, but I'll check it out all the same. A week surrounded by family? I think I'll check out every single thing they have. Maybe twice.

bremon

I have a small stockpile of Mill Street Stock Ale I keep in the basement. Can only find it in a few spots around here. It's become my undisputed favourite beer, but it seems their Organic Lager is what gets marketed more widely. It's also quite good but...it's no Stock Ale.

St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout has become a favourite for a slower session of beer drinking. Plus, it's hilarious watching people who don't really care for beer as much try to choke it down.

riotous

Banned
Nice list @distantmantra; I'll be driving to and from Eugene in early May, plan on doing a bit of a brewery / bottle shop tour on the way down.

Had the pair of Evil Twin Maple Bourbon's last night (Biscotti and EM Jesus).. good stuff; liked the biscotti more despite the Jesus being the super hyped one.

AleSmith finally put Speedway Stout in tallboys. What a time to be alive.

I think maybe I like Even More Jesus better than Speedway though. Either that or the cans do something different to the taste, the Speedway seemed a bit thinner than I remember.

riotous

Banned
Either that or the cans do something different to the taste, the Speedway seemed a bit thinner than I remember.

I felt the same about BA Ten Fiddy; I think it's a mental thing, but I felt like I could taste the can.

Definitely weary of aging the 2 cans I have left.

Nice list @distantmantra; I'll be driving to and from Eugene in early May, plan on doing a bit of a brewery / bottle shop tour on the way down.

Had the pair of Evil Twin Maple Bourbon's last night (Biscotti and EM Jesus).. good stuff; liked the biscotti more despite the Jesus being the super hyped one.

I was in Eugene this past weekend for a funeral. Hadn't been there for a few years, so it was nice to see how much the beer scene has grown since then. Bier Stein is the big bottle shop beer bar, but I still prefer 16 Tons. Much smaller, very thoughtful bottle list.

Ron Mexico

Hitting up Hill Farmstead?

So we went by Hill Farmstead around an hour after opening and it was insane. I will say their Karma Emulsion was the best beer I had from Vermont (including Heady, Sip of Sunshine, Session #2, etc)....until we made it to Brattleboro. Hermit Thrush was on another level. My wallet cried but it was a good stop and I'll have sours for ages.

Over in Portland, ME now. My fiancée hasn't been here before so that alone makes it all feel new again.

JLG-

A lot of the breweries down here in socal are doing Hazy IPA's now too.

Going to Mumford brewing later today to try theirs.

Hazy IPAs are all over Seattle now. The nice thing is that we're starting to see a bit of a NExNW hybrid that retains the bitterness normally found in IPAs.

Don't tell anyone in Nebraska I said this, but Boiler Brewing THAT! and DDOOUUBBLLEE TTHHAATT!! hazy IPAs are alright. Not great, just alright. I'm starting to think the "creaminess" and "juiciness" that people seem to like so much about this style is just not for me. This is especially true for some of the examples on the higher end of the style, in the 7-9% range. Something about the mouthfeel + the alcohol, which is perceptible at that point, is kind of off putting to me.

Don't tell anyone in Nebraska I said this, but Boiler Brewing THAT! and DDOOUUBBLLEE TTHHAATT!! hazy IPAs are alright. Not great, just alright. I'm starting to think the "creaminess" and "juiciness" that people seem to like so much about this style is just not for me. This is especially true for some of the examples on the higher end of the style, in the 7-9% range. Something about the mouthfeel + the alcohol, which is perceptible at that point, is kind of off putting to me.

I went to Boiler and had THAT! and Mosaic THAT! when I was in Nebraska for Thanksgiving. I liked both of them, but the crowler of Mosaic THAT! that I brought back didn't hold up very well a week later.

Wonder Twins is still the best Nebraska IPA I've had. Too bad Scratchtown can't make it more consistently.

JLG-

Just got back from Mumford Brewing in dtla

Had their NEIPA and it was delicious. (ignore snapchat filters lol)
J3LU6B9l.jpg

got myself a crowler.
aaeUgfVl.jpg

This one still maintained the bitterness while being fruity.

JLG-

That is one hazy damn IPA. Love the beer name. I haven't tried any of Mumford's stuff actually, do they bottle or tap-only?

They do bottle. Follow their instagram for release dates. They usually sell out the day they release it.

Holy shit!
Is that a Club?

Yes.
I know it doesn't offer much protection, just a deterrent. I drive a Civic Si so it is a thief magnet.. lol.

KBS is this weekend right? I am of the mind to not give a shit this year. The last two years were good, but not great. And is it worth the drama and seeing the crazies come out for it?

Lotto

I don't think I'm getting Parabola this year. Missed out last year and probably this year. Probably one of the first BBA stouts I had that made me fall in love with the style, hopefully my local store gets some. They didn't last year but they usually get everything else limited from Firestone..

Don't even really get the crazies anymore around where I go in Northern VA for it. I'm also not going out of my way anymore though. Churchkey and Rustico events look nice, but sadly already have plans on friday so can't make better looking Churchkey one.

Top Bottom