• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan vs Eddie Bravo: Heated Argument over Flat Earth Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
"There's no photo of the round earth from space, it's all fake. It looks fake. It looks CGI."

The first 6 minutes is a lot of rambling and sets the stage, but at around 6:30 the really dark shit starts.

I though it was relevant to make a thread about this because the conversation cuts to the core of exactly how conspiracy theorist Trump supporters think in as clear a way as I've seen in a long time.

Joe Rogan is calm, deliberate, and delivers facts with his assistant Jaime to debunk this guy. Eddie Bravo's response to all of it is "the government paid for it and you found it off the internet", and going into a diatribe about how because it's on the internet it's just as valid as whatever his flat earth internet source is. It's almost surreal to listen to because a not insignificant part of America thinks this way too. I have to give props to Rogan for this because it's the first time he's ever really called this nutcase out in such a protracted way, they're friends but this is probably the most heated it's ever gotten between them.

There's a lot of insane quotes, but this one kind of sums it up:

Eddie Bravo said:
You don't think the globalists haven't controlled science and information since Day 1?

maxresdefault.jpg

When people refuse to accept any information they don't like, they really are lost forever.

collige

Banned
Joe Rogan needs to stop inviting these types of idiots onto his show even if he totally disagrees with them. I got about 5 seconds into that video.

23qwerty

yo some of these youtube comments are scary
a lot of people seem to think the earth might be flat

not a single planet is a globe when u look thru a telescope. the look like circular lights. the only telescope that shows the planets being spherical are the ones we can't get hold of

FUCK

I'm not sure that an Onnit salesman arguing with his best friend, while both are high as a kite, is really that politically or socially revealing. Most of the crazy in the country is a different form of crazy.

Joe Rogan needs to stop inviting these types of idiots onto his show even if he totally disagrees with them.

EB is his BJJ guru and close friend. They've had some version of this "argument" about 15000 times on the show.

entremet

Joe Rogan needs to stop inviting these types of idiots onto his show even if he totally disagrees with them. I got about 5 seconds into that video.

Eddie Bravo is one of his best buds actually. He's not a typical guest.

He's been on show hundreds of times. Think of him like a Howard Stern recurring guest.

Chumley

Banned
I'm not sure that an Onnit salesman arguing with his best friend, while both are high as a kite, is really that politically or socially revealing. Most of the crazy in the country is a different form of crazy.

I'm normally the first to shit on Rogan but he's as deliberate and rational here as I've ever seen him, and Bravo's responses are exactly what all conspiracy theoriests use as responses. That "the globalists" are in control of all information, and that all information is suspect. I think it's profoundly disturbing, Rogan can't get through to him at all and he's his friend.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I believe the world is flat. And once we pass the edge, we pop up in the other side world, like a video game.

You can't argue with flat earthers. Everything is fake, nothing is real. Reality is fake to them. These people are a lost cause and probably overdue for some seirous psychiatric treatment.

Even if you put them into orbit, they will probably say they were drugged/dreaming/have fake eyes put in their head.

I'm normally the first to shit on Rogan but he's as deliberate and rational here as I've ever seen him, and Bravo's responses are exactly what all conspiracy theoriests use as responses. That "the globalists" are in control of all information, and that all information is suspect. I think it's profoundly disturbing, Rogan can't get through to him at all and he's his friend.

I could only endure the first few minutes and it just reminded me of trying to calm my dog down during a thunderstorm.

The good news is that anyone actively seeking and watching this content is already lost. It's a closed circuit of brain pills, kettlebells, GEDs, getting high as fuck, and jerking off about not being taxed.

So what exactly is the 'definition' of a globalist to these people exactly? Did the Illuminati and the Freemasons get new branding somewhere down the line?

TheContact

He's friend with Eddie but Eddie is a conspiracy nut. Just because you don't agree with what other people think and agree with your opinions doesn't mean you can't be friends with other people.

Chumley

Banned
I could only endure the first few minutes and it just reminded me of trying to calm my dog down during a thunderstorm.

The good news is that anyone actively seeking and watching this content is already lost. It's a closed circuit of brain pills, kettlebells, GEDs, getting high as fuck, and jerking off about not being taxed.

Couldn't pass up an opportunity to get on your high horse, could you?

Why?

He isn't on an public educational channel. Neither is he on the news.

Lunatics, fringe elements and nutters are part of what makes this show fun. Its like saying Jerry Springer should invite college lecturers.

TheContact

Joe rogan is one of the idiots, unfortunately

What makes you think he's an idiot? One thing I can say about Joe is he's willing to change his mind based on facts. He's a really open minded guy and he's very intelligent despite the "meathead" appearance he might give off due to his UFC involvement and karate background

Does Joe Rogan still believe the moon landings were fake? Seems he really tried to avoid it in this podcast as if he deep down thinks so because it was the 60s and 70s. I bet Eddie knows off the record Joe still think this?

Would be funny if Lawrence Krauss could take Joe to task on it if he still thinks they were fake.

Anyway, I watched this one and it's really an off the cuff piss take type chat and wasn't the main subject. Just a bit of fun. .

Chumley

Banned
Does Joe Rogan still believe the moon landings were fake? Seems he really tried to avoid it in this podcast as if he deep down thinks so because it was the 60s and 70s.

Would be funny if Lawrence Krauss could take Joe to task on it if he still thinks they were fake.

No, he stopped peddling that shit years ago.

TheContact

Does Joe Rogan still believe the moon landings were fake? Seems he really tried to avoid it in this podcast as if he deep down thinks so because it was the 60s and 70s.

No. Like I said before he's willing to change his mind based on facts. When he had NDT on his podcast he changed his mind about it

By the way, LK was on his podcast not that long ago. Check it out it's very very good and both the NDT ones are amazing. Mind blowing stuff

Sulik2

We need to figure out how to reprogram brains of people who have brainwashed themselves to reject reality and evidence. Its terrifying how many people are like this.

What makes you think he's an idiot? One thing I can say about Joe is he's willing to change his mind based on facts. He's a really open minded guy and he's very intelligent despite the "meathead" appearance he might give off due to his UFC involvement and karate background
Give crazies a platform, and their side will feel valid.

No. Like I said before he's willing to change his mind based on facts. When he had NDT on his podcast he changed his mind about it

By the way, LK was on his podcast not that long ago. Check it out it's very very good and both the NDT ones are amazing. Mind blowing stuff

When someone needs to spend hours speaking personally with a world-famous astrophysicist to be convinced that the moon landing wasn't faked, I wouldn't think of that person as a paragon of rationality or reasonability.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Eddie Bravo is so stupid. When he was on the Joe Rogan episode with Alex Jones it was hilarious how he would just interject with random garbage.

And lmao like 2:30 in at the phrase "his sensei can't compete in the UFC because he's too deadly'

Yeah I watched the LK interview before. Neil deGrasse Tyson were great as well.

Just seemed like Eddie knows off the record Joe is still not totally convinced but whatever.

We need to figure out how to reprogram brains of people who have brainwashed themselves to reject reality and evidence. Its terrifying how many people are like this.

The original brainwashing happened in a place of fear, sadness and desperation. This not where rationality resides.

Veelk

Banned
I don't 'get' a lot of conspiracy theories. It's always the 'why' question.

I can get why people think, say 9/11 happened by the government. They often say it's because the government wanted Iraq's oil or that Bush wanted to settle a score with Saddam Hussein that his dad started, that's stupid as fuck, but it's atleast a coherent narrative.

I cannot imagine even a flimsy but plausible reason for why they'd tell people the earth was flat. And this dude, when Joe Rogan tries to extract a reason from him, can't come up with anything either. "People are easier to control with spheres" lol what

I don't understand why people think global warming is fake either. That comic of "What if they're lying and we just make the world a better place for no reason?" comes to mind.

Corpsepyre

Banned
The world's going places, yet a very small population keeps arguing over Earth and every other planet being flat. Very intriguing and life-altering.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
#FAKEWOKE people are honestly the worst

conspiracy theorists attempt to tie everything together to justify ridiculous beliefs.

theWB27

When someone needs to spend hours speaking personally with a world-famous astrophysicist to be convinced that the moon landing wasn't faked, I wouldn't think of that person as a paragon of rationality or reasonability.

Then i don't think you know what being reasonable means.

entremet

The Scientific Revolution happened because a method was devised to overcome natural human biases. Those biases have ensured our survival and are deeply ingrained in our psyche, yet they're also contrary to the scientific method.

Scientific thinking is the exception, not the norm.

Chumley

Banned

This kind of high horse shit serves no one but yourself.

23qwerty

I can get why people think, say 9/11 happened by the government. They often say it's because the government wanted Iraq's oil or that Bush wanted to settle a score with Saddam Hussein that his dad started, that's stupid as fuck, but it's atleast a coherent narrative.

I cannot imagine even a flimsy but plausible reason for why they'd tell people the earth was flat. And this dude, when Joe Rogan tries to extract a reason from him, can't come up with anything either. "People are easier to control with spheres" lol what

I don't understand why people think global warming is fake either. That comic of "What if they're lying and we just make the world a better place for no reason?" comes to mind.

From the youtube comments

Surprised Eddy didn't bring this up, but it's much easier to control people if they all believe we are some insignificant planet, in a small galaxy, surrounded by an infinite amount of other galaxies. As opposed to a flat earth, that is the center of the Universe, that everything in space revolves around. Which would basically confirm what a lot of religions talk about, including The Bible. That we aren't insignificant, and this world was made for us. That is the flat earth theory, as far as I've looked into it. I agree with Eddy, that you really can't trust what NASA says. After all, the moon landings were sketchy as fuck, and they are a corporation that is controlled by the government. We are only told, what they want to tell us. That being said, I have to think the Earth is a globe, since everything else in the sky appears to be. But the only way to know for sure is if I was an astronauht and saw it with my own eyes. Joe was really bullying Eddy here, and Eddy doesn't do so good under verbal confrontation. Let the man believe what he wants to believe, and leave him alone.

lmfao

Let's see

Bundle these nutjobs into a rocket and send them on a trip to check it out. Then strand them in orbit forever as a memorial to stupidity

The normal rationalization of shit like this comes not from ignorance, but paranoia. You see, it's hard for most people to accept the standard story when it comes to 9/11, but that's because they've rationalized with themselves that every major event in human history has been carefully calculated by some overarching group.

They can't handle the fact that sometimes reality is just a series of flukes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom