• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Like I said, it's clear people just want to see the game get grinded up even more.

The infinite is stupid and should be banned. It completely negates the other person's ability to play, which is something they wanted to avoid. Ban this stupid shit.

warp_

Banned
The MvCI infinite is not a glitch. It's just abusing the combo system rules. A glitch would be if you actually broke those rules through code exploit somehow.

Anyway the spidey infinite ban is assuredly deserved. Angelic already stated several well-explained good reasons as to why.

His reasons are mostly nonsense tbh

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
His reasons are mostly nonsense tbh

no, its pretty clear you are being the non-sensical here mate, even if you are technically correct about it not bein a glitch and seem to want to ride that technicality all the way to the bank.

warp_

Banned
no, its pretty clear you are being the non-sensical here mate, even if you are technically correct about it not bein a glitch and seem to want to ride that technicality all the way to the bank.

I'm not riding anything to the bank. I've just yet to see a reason for it to be banned. All I've seen here is that it's a glitch, it's stupid, and it's boring. These really aren't things worth even bringing up in a competitive scene. I'm enjoying discussing this but I just haven't seen much that really works in a long-term ruleset as a reason for it being banned.

I hate this infinite. I also think it sucks, but I don't think it should be banned. I'm unsure why that's worth mocking rather than debating.

nded

Using the above logic that the infinite is not a glitch but just exploiting rules, that would make anything bannable. Why not ban Reality Stone? Ban whatever character is flavor of the month since we don't want teams to have the same character too often, according to Graki. Why not just ban boring play like the Smash kids tried to do?
The two main stances seem to be to ban it until it's fixed or keep using it so Capcom fixes it more quickly. It's likely going to get patched out regardless, so the only question is what benefit do tournament runners and viewers stand to gain from allowing it.

Why is this being banned but TAC infinites weren't?
This infinite is easier to set up and perform, and only one character has access to it. Also it is not hype.

FSLink

Banned
I'm not riding anything to the bank. I've just yet to see a reason for it to be banned. All I've seen here is that it's a glitch, it's stupid, and it's boring. These really aren't things worth even bringing up in a competitive scene. I'm enjoying discussing this but I just haven't seen much that really works in a long-term ruleset as a reason for it being banned.

I hate this infinite. I also think it sucks, but I don't think it should be banned. I'm unsure why that's worth mocking rather than debating.
Now that there is a fix coming, it should be banned unless you think it's a good thing viewership and playerbase will diminish until it's fixed? Like it or not, that's a factor nowadays.
I mean we can let it rock but I know as a viewer I'll get bored as shit of it, and same as a competitive player. There's the argument if it's in the game anyway and if it's garbage to just let the game die, but if people enjoy the game it's not surprising people want to avoid it dying by a really braindead infinite.

warp_

Banned
Now that there is a fix coming, it should be banned unless you think it's a good thing viewership and playerbase will diminish until it's fixed? Like it or not, that's a factor nowadays.
I mean we can let it rock but I know as a viewer I'll get bored as shit of it, and same as a competitive player. There's the argument if it's in the game anyway and if it's garbage to just let the game die, but if people enjoy the game it's not surprising people want to avoid it dying by a really braindead infinite.

But there's no proof of this infinite affecting anything. A pre-emptive ban seems silly. I've only seen the infinite used in tournament once online (this is a no brainer because there hasn't bee anything big since it blew up) and the person flubbed it, twice I believe. If the infinite does dominate events and we start seeing top 8's of all Spiderman/Whoever and the game becomes "who get the infinite first" then that's a different story. But that hasn't happened and I'm not convinced it will happen before a patch comes out.

And no, I don't believe it should be banned for viewership reasons. What the stream monsters prefer in game really should have no effect on a TO's decision if we want to keep saying we are a competitive scene.

kirblar

There's not really any harm in banning Spidey + Reality together till its patched- there's still 4 other gems available for a spidey-team.

warp_

Banned
There's not really any harm in banning Spidey + Reality together till its patched- there's still 4 other gems available for a spidey-team.

Other than it being a preposterous solution. While you are at it, there's no harm in just banning the Reality stone entirely. People just spam with it anyway, that's not hype.

kirblar

Other than it being a preposterous solution. While you are at it, there's no harm in just banning the Reality stone entirely. People just spam with it anyway, that's not hype.
Games like LoL and HOTS disable characters for game-breaking stuff all the time. Banning the combo in tourneys till its fixed is fine.

Welcome to the world of actually getting post-launch support with a Marvel game.

DR2K

Banned
The two main stances seem to be to ban it until it's fixed or keep using it so Capcom fixes it more quickly. It's likely going to get patched out regardless, so the only question is what benefit do tournament runners and viewers stand to gain from allowing it.

This infinite is easier to set up and perform, and only one character has access to it. Also it is not hype.

TAC are easy to set up, infinites varied by character, but sucked the hype out the room. Not sure why they allowed them.

smurfx

get some go again
man thanos better get that air hyper damage nerf or else give other heavies the same kind of unscaled damage because it's bullshit.

warp_

Banned
Games like LoL and HOTS disable characters for game-breaking stuff all the time. Banning the combo in tourneys till its fixed is fine.

Welcome to the world of actually getting post-launch support with a Marvel game.

When it's disabled or patched by Capcom in game, that will be fine. I'll be happy to see it happen. Until then things should keep rolling as normal.

Allow someone to do the Reality Stone -> Web Ball loop twice or three times and then say you can't do it any more.

Not hard to even 'soft' ban where everyone agrees to not do it in tournament.

The game has far more issues than the infinite anyway that are worth discussing.

FSLink

Banned
But there's no proof of this infinite affecting anything. A pre-emptive ban seems silly. I've only seen the infinite used in tournament once online (this is a no brainer because there hasn't bee anything big since it blew up) and the person flubbed it, twice I believe. If the infinite does dominate events and we start seeing top 8's of all Spiderman/Whoever and the game becomes "who get the infinite first" then that's a different story. But that hasn't happened and I'm not convinced it will happen before a patch comes out.

And no, I don't believe it should be banned for viewership reasons. What the stream monsters prefer in game really should have no effect on a TO's decision if we want to keep saying we are a competitive scene.
I think it should be up to the respective communities. I would not blame if a local doesn't want the infinite allowed when it's going to be patched and they want viewers (who may actually become players) and players to show up.

I was all for letting it rock btw if there wasn't a patch coming anytime soon. I have even been practicing it myself just in case.

And again the people comparing it to TACs...it isn't the same thing. What's ban worthy in one game is different in another.

Why are we making a big deal out of this infinite anyway.. Infinites in SFxT, MvC3 vanilla, and UMvC3 were patched out (obviously TAC infinites werent patched out due to license expiring). Hell some fei long infinite was patched out of ssf4...

nded

Yeah that doesn't really explain it, especially using hype as a metric.

At some point people had basically given up on UMvC3 getting patched so they just kept playing. A relatively large portion of the UMvC3 cast had access to TAC infinites so it at least didn't stifle variety as much. UMvC3 also had three man teams and X-factor; losing a character in MvCI hurts much more because you lose most of your combo and evasion options.

FSLink

Banned
At some point people had basically given up on UMvC3 getting patched so they just kept playing. A relatively large portion of the UMvC3 cast had access to TAC infinites so it at least didn't stifle variety as much. UMvC3 also had three man teams and X-factor; losing a character in MvCI hurts much more because you lose most of your combo and evasion options.
Well said. Good luck trying not getting opened up by the other team after they finish the infinite and now have full Reality Stone Infinity Storm.

People who think it's similar clearly didn't play 3 at a competitive level. This is probably more similar to the Firebrand one touch team kill if it were way easier to execute.

Dahbomb

I could make bigger posts about this infinite but thankfully it's no longer required because it's getting patched.

This infinite is 10x the power level of a TAC infinite. Not all infinites are equal, you have to judge how much of an impact an infinite makes on the overall game. When TAC news were new a lot of people didn't really understand it's implications yet people still wanted it banned (like Justin Wong and even some Japanese players who played Marvel). MrWiz made the ruling that it would be allowed and I would imagine mostly because it's nearly impossible to police properly.

This infinite is more obvious with a much higher power level. Unlike with TACs in Marvel 3, this is strong enough that everyone should be using Spider Man plus Reality on their team, greatly warping the meta. Not only is it too strong but it's highly practical and easy to set up.

For the record, this infinite is as bad as having a TOD in SFV or Tekken. Those games operate on rounds and losing a character in MVCI is actually worse than losing a round. Games like SC have banned characters before for having TODs so this is not new territory.

smurfx

get some go again
does dormammu not have a hurt box on his lower half while he is flying in the air at max height? pipe was missing him even though the pipe went through his lower body.

Atom looks fucking awesome in Injustice 2. Capcom has no excuse for not getting Ant-Man to work.
??????

Have we even seen Atom in IJ2 in any way other than the silhouette at the character select screen?

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw your thread.

Anth0ny

I just watched top 8 of North West Majors, I don't know about yall, but I thought the guy on commentary trying to do play by play commentary for this fucking clusterfuck of a game was sooooo great. pure hype lol.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I just watched top 8 of North West Majors, I don't know about yall, but I thought the guy on commentary trying to do play by play commentary for this fucking clusterfuck of a game was sooooo great. pure hype lol.

I agree, they did a pretty good job trying to keep up.

Dahbomb

Need to level up your commentary game for MVCI!

spyduh

Neo Member
Who on earth thought it was a good idea to prevent endless rematching with casual matches online? Being booted back to search after a couple of games is the worst.

I feel like it's stalling my development as a player too. Especially in circumstances where I come across someone of similar skill (or characters I haven't played against), then after a couple of matches I'm searching again, everything changes. No time to learn to adapt.

Closest I've found is starting a lobby but even then having to go through the character/stage select screens again is such a time waste.

patchday

Do ya'll seriously want to see this game get grinded up even more?

It's a shitty infinite that completely eliminates options (ie counter switch), which is the opposite of what's intended for this game. Ban that shitty infinite and call it a day.

yep or even better patch it asap

I was trying to figure that out too lol. Looks like when you create a lobby and go into the lobby, press square to change lobby rules and select "Both Players Remain".

yep just like I texted you :)

Perineum

Today was a great day.

I have a buddy who I have played fighters against since SF4. He always wins out, so he is a good person to get better at a game with. In a set of 20 I would say he would win 80% of that, and I may get a lucky game off here and there on him in games past if he swapped characters.

So we sat down to do some MvCI today online. Little lag spikes in a few matches, but overall playable. His team was Captain Marvel and Thanos with power stone. I was rocking Ultron and Thanos with Reality at start. I was doing good, and would win 2 in a row, then he would come back with 2. Eventually I got like a 5-6 lead over him, and he swapped to reality stone as well. I was still doing ok, and at this point I just wanted to test Iron Man out from the lab stuff I did against him.

End result? YOOOOO MY BOY TONY!!!!! Ultron and Iron Man is ridiculously good synergy. I ended up winning our session 25-18. Never had I won so much more than him and so damn well.

I was doing some sick as fuck mix ups with Ironman and Ultron. I would jump up reality stone, repulsor blast triple while he is on the ground, or do the triple to take him up in the air, then tag in Ultron for dirty ass 50-50 mix ups. Sometimes it would look like Ultron should come tagging in from one side, and he ends up coming in from the other. Free ass combos netting me 6k+damage everytime.

I love how Ironman works in this game compared to old Marvels. Great job Capcom that I can finally play a character I love, but couldn't in the past due to his weird move set. Oh and I still don't see the god damn point of Tony's forward HP rocket move. The amount of times that move screwed me for coming out when I didn't want it is unreal.

Edit: Yo X!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTQT6BHts1Y

Top Bottom