• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Survive will require an internet connection even when playing solo.

Risev1

From the official website: https://i.imgur.com/DVpXgfv.png

Gold / PS+ is required for co-op, but you still have to be connected to the internet just to play the game. As if this game needed to give people even more of a reason to skip. Micro-transactions incoming, but I guess we already knew it was happening/

kmax

Dear jesus god.

Just stop Konami. Don't even bother to release this. Go straight to pachinko.

xk6HTzO.png

Gamezone

Gold Member
They all want Internet required, we knew this since Xbox one launch

You can't blame publishers for Microsoft's launch mistakes.

Anyway.. Like people didn't dislike Metal Gear Survive and Konami enough as it is.

But MGS Survive was always announced as an online title.

Fascinated to see how this game turns out in general.
No Kojima. Always-online DRM.

I mean, I'm kind of amazed Konami is releasing a PS4/X1 game in 2018. I thought that ship had sailed beyond the PES games...

You can't blame publishers for Microsoft's launch mistakes.

Anyway.. Like people didn't dislike Metal Gear Survive and Konami enough as it is.

But MGS Survive was always announced as an online title.
Publishers were the one pushing for it and that was reported on...

So, you don't know what your talking about here.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Publishers were the one pushing for it and that was reported on...

So, you don't know what your talking about here.

Publishers can add always online independent of Microsoft, yet very few does. And when they add always online, it has more to do with how the game is design, and less to do with DRM.

Publishers can add always online independent of Microsoft, yet very few does. And when they add always online, it has more to do with how the game is design, and less to do with DRM.
They wanted it while being able to have all the blame on ms. Obviously after what happened they couldn't.

Clockwork

It's ridiculous, but who in this day and age doesn't have their console connected to the internet?

My main beef would be what happens when they stop supporting the game and/or what happens when you want to play it 10 years from now. You'll just have a useless disc.

KOMANI

KOMANI
It’s konami’s way of keeping “cheating” to a minimum. On mgsv, you can upload an old save and get back resources, armory, abd men from fobs.

Gamezone

Gold Member
It's ridiculous, but who in this day and age doesn't have their console connected to the internet?

My main beef would be what happens when they stop supporting the game and/or what happens when you want to play it 10 years from now. You'll just have a useless disc.

It`s not about who has their console connected or not. Why is this so hard to understand?

pswii60

My consoles are always connected to the internet so I really couldn't give a shit. I'm sorry that doesn't fit in with the narrative of this thread though. And I'm sorry you all have such flaky internet connections.

With regards to the game, is much of Kojima's old team working on this, or have they all left (the talent) to join him in his new venture?
Are you really concerned about playing this game in 10 years time? The only games I still 'own' (if you can call it that) from 10 years ago are digital XBL/PSN titles. And discs these days are just a mere delivery method - all your discs in 10 years are going to be unpatched buggy nightmares without the online services regardless. We'll all be enjoying the lack of V-sync in DOOM on PS4 for example.

Spacejaws

Yea alot of my games I take with me when I’m working abroad on prepaid data plans so this is a no buy for me.

Shame as I was actually a bit intrigued how well MGSV would translte to this.

It`s not about who has their console connected or not. Why is this so hard to understand?

You and all the other people complaining about offline are the ones that really dont understand. Look at Diablo 3 console. That game allows for offline saves. Online matchmaking is awful because you are going to mm with someone with modded gear or someone who took advantage of duping glitches which are only possible because of local save files. Players who are active in the D3 console community would take always online in a heartbeat instead of what they have right now if given a choice.

The only way for offline play to work is the offline save can never be used online. Do you really expect players are going to be cool with playing two separate save files? I sure as hell wouldnt.

Risev1

You and all the other people complaining about offline are the ones that really dont understand. Look at Diablo 3 console. That game allows for offline saves. Online matchmaking is awful because you are going to mm with someone with modded gear or someone who took advantage of duping glitches which are only possible because of local save files. Players who are active in the D3 console community would take always online in a heartbeat instead of what they have right now if given a choice.

The only way for offline play to work is the offline save can never be used online. Do you really expect players are going to be cool with playing two separate save files? I sure as hell wouldnt.

Well, it's good then that MGSV's online component is NOT plagued by numerous hackers who ruin any effort of unlocking the nuclear ending of the game, right? Konami got cheaters covered.

But wait, MGO3 and the FOB competent of MGSV are still plagued by cheaters to this day, and MGO3 is an online-only component of MGSV that's separate from the single player portion of the game.

But I guess it's for our benefit that Metal Gear Survive is always online.

Remind me again how long MGO 2 was live before Konami shut down the servers? I know you can mod your PS3 to allow the online portion of MGS4 to work, but that's something I quite frankly would rather not have to do just to play a single player game.

They just can't stop. Not only is it forcing online for consoles, they don't even have a PC version.

I'll put it this way, I firmly believe that Konami is trying to video games now as lazy as possible. Literal minimum effort.

Sorry, I take that back, they are putting in maximum effort to say "fuck you" to consumers.

The microtransaction prices in MGO3 were terrible, like £6 for a colour, for one item, if wanted another item that colour, pay again. Per item, not item slot.

Risev1

They just can't stop. Not only is it forcing online for consoles, they don't even have a PC version.

I'll put it this way, I firmly believe that Konami is trying to video games now as lazy as possible. Literal minimum effort.

Sorry, I take that back, they are putting in maximum effort to say "fuck you" to consumers.

The game is coming to PC on the same day as consoles.

Only reason D3 is a mess is because Blizzard decided to let people import saves from last gen versions. If they had just not done that current gen would be fine as cannot edit those saves.

Top Bottom