• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Survive will require an internet connection even when playing solo.

DJwest

Sure, piss off the like 8 people who are actually excited for this game.
I know right? This is ann amazing display of incompetence. You've outdone yourself Konami. In before MGS series is shelved due to disappointing Survive sales.

I know right? This is ann amazing display of incompetence. You've outdone yourself Konami. In before MGS series is shelved due to disappointing Survive sales.

it will sell bad.

and that means no more metal gear. not even remakes of metal gear 1 or 2 etc.

:(

i for one think this game will be fun

Risev1

But it was announced as an online coop game.

So? It's still a solo game if you want it to be. You just have to also be connected online to play it.

You know what else was announced as a co-op game? Ghost Recon Wildlands, yet that doesn't force you to be online to play solo. Not as far as I'm aware at least.

You guys have a lot of faith in Konami, who shut down MGO2 only 4 years after it was released. What if, 4 or 5 years from now, they also shut down the game's servers since not many people are playing? Do we end up with a game that's basically unplayable, even though the main campaign can be played solo in its entirety?

The game is coming to PC on the same day as consoles.

I thought they listed it as not being there. Oh well, my bad, sorry about that, but still, they are taking the easiest way out of releasing this. Minimal effort in making the game and maximum effort to fucking consumers.

I thought they listed it as not being there. Oh well, my bad, sorry about that, but still, they are taking the easiest way out of releasing this. Minimal effort in making the game and maximum effort to fucking consumers.

who says its minimal effort in making the game?
i mean it was announced so long ago, had footage last year at TGS and the game is still not out.

I'm sure they are at least putting some effort in.

Risev1

who says its minimal effort in making the game?
i mean it was announced so long ago, had footage last year at TGS and the game is still not out.

I'm sure they are at least putting some effort in.

It's important to acknowledge that this game is still being developed by many of the developers who worked on MGSV. If there's anything undisputed about MGSV, it's that it has amazing gameplay mechanics.

Markoman

Ok, time for a change:

Me before October 21th: Fuck Konami

Me after October 21th: Ok, maybe it's still a fun game.

#ushappyostrich

Santar

Well, that removes Metal Gear Survive from the list of games I was looking forward to.
Real shame as I was actually interested in the game.

120v

i mean... it's a zombie survival game. of course it requires being online

don't know the specifics of solo play but kind of implicit this is mostly an MP game

It's important to acknowledge that this game is still being developed by many of the developers who worked on MGSV. If there's anything undisputed about MGSV, it's that it has amazing gameplay mechanics.

exactly.

and the game mechanics are is what is gonna make the game smooth and fun to play.

im not saying they wont fuck things up in another way. but still...

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Sucks for console fans I guess, considering this means those who haven’t subscribe to the consoles online gaming service, will have to drop the game or pay Sony or Microsoft some money every month to play it

Fortunately online gaming is free on PC

odhiex

I can't say that I am shocked by this move because I always thought that this was a Multiplayer game anyway.

Famine

Neo Member
giphy.gif

Only reason D3 is a mess is because Blizzard decided to let people import saves from last gen versions. If they had just not done that current gen would be fine as cannot edit those saves.

No it wouldn't. Any item in D3 can be modded and has been for a long time now. On top of that duping is easy as hell. If you matchmake it is guaranteed you will be playing with someone who does not have legit gear or hasn't duped.

Making this game online only is the right move. people complained the PC D3 was online only but now they look at whats going on at the console side and think they dodged a bullet.

luulubuu

A game that is multiplayer heavy and probably has a parallel grow system between solo and mult is shocking a forum for hardcore gamers.

Glad to see gaf is healthy as ever.

Ombra

A game that is multiplayer heavy and probably has a parallel grow system between solo and mult is shocking a forum for hardcore gamers.

Glad to see gaf is healthy as ever.
Yeah cause online only is such a great idea that certainly hasn't contributed to the failure of other games with singleplayer and multiplayer.

Jawmuncher

Nah fam. Even at a budget price I ain’t fucking with that for $40. If you want to do online only I can wait for $20

hemo memo

Gold Member
It's ridiculous, but who in this day and age doesn't have their console connected to the internet?

My main beef would be what happens when they stop supporting the game and/or what happens when you want to play it 10 years from now. You'll just have a useless disc.

What if you lose connection for some reason? And it kick you back to the main menu while playing a solo game. What if it was a boss fight?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
It's ridiculous, but who in this day and age doesn't have their console connected to the internet?

I don't. What do I get by connecting my console to the internet?

They all want Internet required, we knew this since Xbox one launch

They all want Internet required, we knew this since Xbox one launch

I strongly disagree. There is nothing to stop publishers from doing always online and for the most part, they haven't done it. All you have to do to make a single player game always online is move most of the game's logic to a server. The portion which runs on the PC/console is just a 3D graphics engine which sends input (key presses, mouse movement, and controller state) to the server and gets a response which tells it what to render (i.e. monster A is in state B at coordinate (x, y, z)).

So why haven't publishers jumped onto always online en mass? I do not know but I have some guesses:

1) It's expensive. Here is why it's expensive:
1.A) You have to hire more software developers.
1.B) You have to hire expensive services software developers.
1.C) It's harder to write a networked application. This means that the chance of project failure goes up.
1.D) You have to pay for an operations staff to monitor the game's server's once it launches.
1.E) You have to pay people to secure the game's service. Service security is hard and most people screw it up (most software developers just don't care about security).

2) Your customers get very mad if your game doesn't work because the servers are down or overloaded.

3) Your customers get mad if they die because of network lag.

4) Customers are not dumb and many will avoid games which are always online because they know it may be a very bad deal for them. It can be a bad deal because the game has a higher chance of not working (it's more complex and networks are not reliable). It can also be a bad deal if the game stops working because the servers are shut down.

5) Piracy is lower on consoles. On the PC, always online appears to be a very good idea if you have a hit game. A good example is Diablo 3. It sold very well (over 6 million copies around launch) and it was an always online title. I believe I remember Blizard having problems because they didn't expect so many people to buy it (they probably based their sales estimates on the numbers from Diablo and Diablo 2 which could both be easily pirated). Another good example, is the Sims 4 which sold well and was always online at launch.

synce

This is the future. Games that last a generation and will be forever forgotten once the servers are killed. Have fun for a few years, I guess.

luulubuu

Yeah cause online only is such a great idea that certainly hasn't contributed to the failure of other games with singleplayer and multiplayer.
I'm not saying that is a great idea or not.

I'm saying what is happening and why.

A bright future for this forum

Top Bottom